Start by marking “The Littles” as Want to Read:
The Littles

The Littles (The Littles #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  16,132 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
The adventures of a tiny family who live within the walls of the Bigg's house.
Published January 1st 1993 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1st 1967)

Sara Hannon
1. Fantasy

2. When the family they live with goes on vacation, the Littles, tiny people with tails, have the adventure of a lifetime when a new family moves in for a few months. This new family brings mice and then a cat to give the Littles more than they have ever had to deal with before.

3. This is a well-written children's book. It is written on such a great level for young readers. The wording is clear, the story is adventurous, and the large type is offset by cute little illustrations. Unlik
Colton W
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I rate it four stars is because there was some dying in mice fights so minus one star for that. But I really like how the Littles became friends with the cat. I also liked how they made secret passageways and look out places. I am so happy to be reading chapter books!
midnightfaerie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
We read over half of this and then just got plain bored. It started out good, but I think there were too many characters too fast and it got confusing for both myself and my 5 yr old. We tried to finish it, but in the end, we thought our time could be put to better use and so picked up the next book in the Chronicles of Narnia series we were also reading. What a difference when a child is engaged. Don't think we'll finish this.
Wendi
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the Littles books. I read them when I was in grade school. I even thought that maybe the Littles lived in my basement.
Heather Pleier
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this as a read-aloud with my 6yo. The writing is good, the characters not completely one-sided, and the tension in the stories is easier to handle than in most realistic fiction.
Julia
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital, ya-juvenile
I can't really remember which of "The Littles" books that I read and I would have to rely on my sister to be the memory-keeper of this particular book as the series was more her like than my own. The part of the Littles that I did enjoy was the tv series, which just shows you how old I am but the tv characters truly did match and in some cases bypassed those in the book.

The writing is simple and easy-to-follow making it a great book for those children who are on the beginning of reading chapte
Jodi
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jodi by: Gram Henige
Candi
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started reading this series with my son. I thought it was appropriate since I'm always calling my kids "The Littles". I think it's super cute and interesting, a bit like Stuart Little (which came way later). When I asked my son what he would rate it (between 1 and 5), he said "Six, for epic." Love the enthusiasm. :-)
Miss Smith's Class
If you want to read an exciting book, this one is for you! We read it as a second grade class. Some of our favorite parts are when Lucy saves the day, when the Little's are scared of the mice, taming the cat, and many others! It is full of adventure, excitement, and has some funny parts. We definitely recommend this book to other second graders or anyone who wants to read a good book.
Cason
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the I liked when Tom tied the yarn ball to the cat and sat on the cat!
HeavyReader
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, I really wanted to believe that tiny little people lived in the walls of my house and took little things from me and my family to furnish their home. Alas, it was all just fiction.
Allison
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series when I was a child and remember being very fond of the books, rereading the ones I owned. I am now reading them to my 4- almost-5-year-old and he loves them. The books have a decent amount of drawings to keep a younger child interested and the stories really spark his imagination. He's built houses for the "tinies" in Duplo, bristle block, and tinker toys.
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Great food for the imagination.
A very tiny family of people - but with long tails - live hidden in the walls of a house. When the family of normal sized people goes on vacation and rents to someone for that time, trouble ensues for the Littles.
Melissa Namba
cute story setting up the series. the Littles have a lot of challenges to deal with such as mice and cats. although it is plot driven, this is better than the subsequent books because the arc of the series is being established.
Caley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, it went a bit to fast for me, I couldn't really keep up with what was happening, but otherwise, it was good.
Malinda
This is a great book to bridge kids into chapter books.
Scott Houston
I have read this book with my third graders and we have completed some comprehensive discussions and questions over the first dozen chapters. My cooperating teacher had the entire class read this book together, and I believe that by the time they are finished the first half of the school year will be over or the children will lose interest. This is a good story, and I think it is good for children to make connections with how they would relate to the characters if they were tiny as well. However ...more
Loralee
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
Cameron has read this series already so Mallory and I started the first one together.
Becky
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically an easier version of the Borrowers. It's super cute, but it has this weird definition of "people" that I'm a little leery of. Basically the defining factor of what makes someone a person is the ability to speak. Just because the Littles have tails does not make them beasts (the actual word used) because they can talk. That's how the cat recognizes them as people and not food.
I know what you're thinking! I hear you saying, "So what, Becky? This is a children's book and you read
Maria Jo
The Littles

"The Littles is a timeless favorite that's been enjoyed for decades. Ready to grab the attention of a new generation, fresh cover art brings an updated look to this classic series.

Meet the Littles, a family like any other but with a few tiny differences! They live in the walls of the Bigg family house where they get everything they need. In return they make sure the Bigg house is always in good repair.
When the Biggs go away for the summer the Newcombs come to stay in their house. And
Micah
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of tiny people that look a lot like normal people, but instead they have tails. They always steal things from within the normal sized house that they live in to make their own house, but they also help the people who live in the house in return.

They are really good at fixing things. The person who owned the house said, "I might have a better house than my neighbor.," since it was working a lot.

They found a little box of toys and they used little swords like weapons to fight off
Candice Snow
This one is difficult to rate because I'm not 100% sure if I would have enjoyed it as a child. It wasn't very interesting or fast paced, which is a big no-no when your book is less than 80 pages and half of the pages are illustrations.

The story follows a family of tiny individuals called The Littles. These people are not human--not only because of their small size, but also because they have mouse-like tails. It's sort of like Steward Little gone wrong. These little people steal things from the
Ebookwormy1
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 of the Littles series, this is the one book I wanted to make sure to buy. It introduces "the Littles", "the Biggs" and "the Newcombs" with a clever tongue in cheek lightness that makes the books fun for adults as well as little readers.

What makes them fun for kids are simple adventure stories that feature concrete explanations of the ways the Little's have adapted every day materials to their tiny uses. These adaptations allow them to live a life similar to "the Biggs" while preventing their
Amy Clinton
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 642
Summary:
A fictional story about a family of tiny people with tails who live in the walls like mice. They live in the house with the Big family, one that is clean and neat. But then a messy family moves in and attracks mice which through the balance off. The tiny people have to find out how to clean up this mess while protecting themselves against the mice and cats.

Personal Response:
Super cute childrens book. Very imaginative and it allows the reader to see how messes need to be cleaned up becaus
Britny Ohliger
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-642
This is the story of a family, the Littles. They are just like everyone else except they are 6 inches tall. They live in a big house (the Bigg's house to be specific and within the walls!) and have everything they need. In exchange for living there, the family fixes up the house, making sure to keep up with repairs. Just when things seemed to be going right, the Biggs leave on summer vacation and the Newcombs come stay to visit. Their mess attracts a dangerous enemy to the Littles; mice! As if i ...more
Caterpickles
The Littles are pint-sized people who live in the walls of the home of the Biggs. The Biggs allow the Littles to take whatever they need in exchange for keeping their house in good repair. When the Biggs move out for the summer, they rent the house out to a family of slobs. The Newcomb family’s habit of scattering crumbs throughout the house soon attracts mice who compete with the Littles for space in the walls. Worse, the cat the Newcombs bring home to catch the mice is clearly far more interes ...more
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this whole series (13 books) out loud to 6.5yo. She loved them. I enjoyed them, too, actually. They were perfect for imaginative kids. Just enough adventure and not too much scariness. Although gender roles are somewhat dated, there are strong, smart characters of all ages and both sexes. I liked the inter-generational relationships. Plus, they essentially homeschool (brought to forefront mostly in "The Littles Go to School").

I could definitely have done without the Terrible Kid (of course
Miss Ryoko
Wow, this book is a lot like The Borrowers and I think The Littles came out first. Wonder how John Lawrence Peterson feels about that... of course there were differences, but I couldn't help but think they were almost the same story.

First, I checked this book out to see if its one I can use at school. The good news is I can. More good news is that there are more books in the series so now I can add a few more books to my pile.

Second, the book was okay. It was your standard children's book from
Kerridwen
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young at heart
Who can't love stories about tiny people who live in the walls of our houses? They take some of our leftovers (food and stuff) and in return help maintain the house wiring, plumbing and so on.

Some readers may remember The Borrowers - this is sort of an updated version (with boy characters). The Littles also have tails and a sense of repaying the host family, which the Borrowers did not. The stories are also a bit more accessible for younger children.

I loved these stories as a kid and my 6yo love
Michele
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Littles as a child, and still carry them in my school library today based upon that love.

But in asking myself what exactly it is that I loved about them, the first thing that comes to mind is tails! The little people that populate this book and the others following it have tails and that just fascinated me. I loved that some of the Littles lived in trees and had unusual ways of communicating with each other. I loved their adventures.

These stories are not nearly as complex as The Bo
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Prairie School
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • The Little Riders
  • Pippi in the South Seas
John Lawrence Peterson was an American author of children's books best known as the creator of The Littles.
More about John Lawrence Peterson...

The Littles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Littles Take a Trip