Start by marking “The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel

The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Who was Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis? She was a wife, mother, artist, editor, and world traveler. A bright young woman who rose to unparalleled celebrity. One of the world's most inspiring and influential women of her day, she has become arguably the most important female icon of all time. Yet she also was a woman of passion and deep emotions, who wanted to experience all th ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published February 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first pages of this "fictionalized memoir," I was captivated. First of all, I have been a big Kennedy fan for years and watched the beautiful couple inaugurated in early 1961, and then, like a series of photos in an album, I saw portraits of the first family, with the adorable children; Jackie's restoration of the White House, depicted on TV; and, of course, the tragic events in Dallas, with the memorable images of the bloodied pink suit.

Even later, when scandalous allegations came
This fictional memoir of Jackie Kennedy Onassis is well-written engaging, and will definitely continue to hold your interest, although to me it had some cons as well.
I enjoy reading about Jackie Kennedy, and there were many parts of this book that rang fairly true to what I imagine her thinking and feeling. However, it was much too sensual and descriptive in many parts for my taste, and it seemed like any negative theory you have heard relative to things the Kennedy family may or may not have
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fictional, personal memoir of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis stands as one of my favorite books about 'Jackie'. A unique take on a frequently written about subject, Francisco develops a unique voice for Jackie, steamed from research and careful detail. This book is one to read again for a personal look at the high profile figure and what she may have been thinking.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge JKO fan, I really enjoyed this fictional memoir told in Jackie’s voice. I thought the author did a good job of capturing Jackie’s spirit. .

Though no fault of the author, I only wish that the editors/publishers did a better job of finding all the spelling errors in the Kindle edition!
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
Full disclosure--I love, no wait, I worship Jacqueline Kennedy. So I truly cannot be objective about this book. I adore everything Jackie, from books, photos and quotes to obscure memorabilia. If you don't like Jackie, you probably won't enjoy this novel. I do, so I did. Does the book romanticize Jacke? Yes, most likely, but I turned a blind eye to that, so read the review at your own peril.

The conceit of the book is that Jackie had written her memoirs and then given them to a fellow editor with
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from a friend, as she took it with her as her reading material on a vacation in Italy. I took it with me to Paris (and to take a physical book rather than just read it on my kindle means I am interested!). It's always enjoyable to read about Jackie O. The author did a great job at combining facts into a story. Although I must admit it was difficult for me sometimes to respect that the thoughts were "put into" the mind of what Jackie was thinking. How could anyone ever know, ...more
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. I couldn't put it down. It is written as a work of fiction but all the events of Jackie's life are portrayed through her voice. I didn't know her history and found it fascinating.

She talked about the children but didn't focus on everything in their lives. I liked this because I have read Sweet Caroline and the Day John Died so I knew the kid's history.

It made me sad that both of her marriages were for money and both of her husbands had numerous mistresses. And her mothe
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This powerfully written fictional biography is a disturbing account of the horrors of Jacqueline Kennedy's life of physical and emotional abuse beginning in childhood and continuing through her marriage to Aristotle Onassis. She ties her survival to powerful, wealthy men due to insecurity and desire for a very high standard of living. The author has successfully created a human portrait while stripping the iconic Jackie to reveal a sensual and frequently panicked woman. The unnecessary explicit ...more
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2006
"In the author's note at the end of The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel, Ruth Francisco states up front that this is definitely a work of fiction. Although most events which take place within these pages have a basis in historical fact, they have been "filtered through Ms. Francisco's imagination." She tells her readers she "approached Jackie's fictional persona as an actor approaches a new writing in her character's voice and imagining her thoughts and feelings." ...more
Steph Elias
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. My parents were big Kennedy fans so I knew a bit of the actual history. I found this book interesting and well written. The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel, is the kind of book that I reach for when I have the time to enjoy a good read, and one of those that is hard to put down. The author did a fantastic job, I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good story, especially fans of the Kennedy legacy. I look forward to reading more of Ms. Fran ...more
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While very well written and interesting, I'm not sure I agree with the author's assessment that this is not an intrusion into Jackie's life. I seriously doubt she would have kept a journal that described her sex life but I could imagine her keeping a journal of how she felt about her life events. If you're a boomer, you likely remember JFK's funeral and how stoic she was and wonder even now how she did it. Would be interesting in knowing how others feel about this book. And I have to wonder if C ...more
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me uncomfortable, like a voyeur peering into the sexual exploits and innermost thoughts of a real person. And because it was actually fiction, it felt like a violation of her privacy.
Jackie comes across as whiny, entitled, and sarcastic--not very likable--so at times it was hard for me to feel her pain.
However, the writing was superb, and the author did an excellent job of selecting pivotal points in history and Jackie's life to explore, which created an enjoyable read.
Annie Hartman
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This really opened my eyes to life from Jackie's perspective. Super well written and I think it really captured what may have gone through her head. Not only did it tell about her time as first lady but her childhood, and her marriage to Ari Onassis and her relationships after. She and Jack each had such tortured, tragic souls. I hope they found happiness and peace after they left this earth.
Bonnie G
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated with the fictional inner dialog of Jackie and surprised at all the outward facts of her life that I didn't know. I ended up feeling pretty sorry for her and wanting to read more. Next I will read a biography by Spoto. Jackie has to be one of the most interesting women of the 20th century.
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I did enjoy this book and much of it was fun, but there was much heartache as you can imagine and many more examples of Jack's bedroom antics than I ever wanted to know. The author did a great job of writing this story from Jackie's journals.
May 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I have a not so secret fascination with Jackie O...but it’s not a voyeuristic obsession. I thought this was an interesting read and possible take on her life. But since it’s a memoir I kept wondering what was real and what was fabricated in this book.
Amber Shook huber
I gave 3 starts because the book is well written and captivating. However, having said that I'm not so sure about reading fiction about a real person. I've never read her biographies so I'm at a disadvantage but if any of the story rings true I'm at a loss as to why the world adored this family.
Mar 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a disappointing book, I thought it was going to be a memoir,but it turned out to be a type of historical fiction to me. I suppose it was my own fault for assuming it was something it didnt turn out to be. Written well.
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ia a fictionalized memoir of Jackie Kennedy. As someone who has always been fascinated with Jack and Jackie, I savored it. Not a page turner, but well researched, and I imagine some of it is spot on. Thumbs up!
Judy Schultz
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in the Giveaway and it is very well written. The author seems to know the details of her subject extremely well and also that period of history. I found it very interesting as I was in college during the Kennedy era. I would give it four stars.
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot but felt the author included some unnecessary fictitious assumptions. I would like to know whether certain ideas were founded from other sources or purely the author's imagination.
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written fiction! Fun to read!
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but wished I hadn't read. After it made me feel bad like I had read someone's personal diary - even knowing it was fiction.
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been obsessed with the Kennedy's especially Jackie and this work of fiction was deliciously juicy!!
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book a lot. For me it was one of those books I didn't want o put down because I wanted to see what was coming next.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Let's talk about how I'm related to her so I demand to have this book! :) For real though, I am related to her!
Well written
Feb 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel isn't very flattering to any of the Kennedy clan (or Jacqueline), but it's hard to put down anyway.
Elle Sy
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
glad i found it!
Jonathan Sturak
Mar 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • Sweet Caroline: Last Child of Camelot
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • Honour Thy Father
  • Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum
  • Cover Me: A Health Insurance Memoir
  • The Cracker Factory
  • The Eloquent Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Portrait in Her Own Words (With a One-Hour DVD Insert from A Biography)
  • Sally Hemings
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria
  • The Secret Letters: of Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy
I tend to write novels that are a little controversial. I don't intend to, but a question grabs hold of my mind--Do we have a right to say no to medical technology? What would it be like to be Jackie Kennedy? Where is Islamic extremism taking us?--and it won't let go. I have to explore it, I have to write about it.

Since my interests are varied, my books are varied, perhaps too much so. But whateve
More about Ruth Francisco...

Fiction Deals

• Want Not
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99