Start by marking “Night Terror (Supernatural, #9)” as Want to Read:
Night Terror (Supernatural, #9)

Night Terror

(Supernatural #9)

Alerted to strange happenings in Clayton Falls, Colorado, Bobby sends the boys to check it out. A speeding car with no driver, a homeless man pursued by a massive Gila monster, a little boy chased by uprooted trees — it all sounds like the stuff of nightmares. The boys fight to survive a series of terrifying nighttimes, realizing that sometimes the nightmares don’t go away ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 381 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Night Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Terror

Trudi
For a tie-in novel, this one is pretty damn good. It turned out to be an excellent choice for my October reads. It's chock full of schlock, B-movie horror monsters and there are a few scenes that had me cringing and gagging (view spoiler)

The writers for Supernatural the TV show are masters when it comes to
Ivy
A very enjoyable story. Nice to see Dean, Sam, and Bobby again. Would not want to live in this world though. Little too weird for my taste.

Would recommend for anyone who is a fan of Supernatural or fantasy novels.
Forgotten Realms Queen
As a rabid Supernatural fan, it is pretty much required for me to like this book. And don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, there were just a few things off that make it 'okay' rather than 'good' or 'great'.

First off it took a little while to get to the meat of the story and figure out exactly what was causing the kerfuffle this time around.

This I think is mostly because it didn't really follow the flow of the show or the other books.

See, normally when people are dying around them and they reali
Dana
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the best Supernatural tie-in novels I have read. Passarella actually nailed Dean and Sam's voices. And any author that can have me almost too horrified to keep reading while throwing around references to "Dead Snow" and steampunk is pretty awesome.
Hazi
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite Supernatural tie-in. I can't put my finger on it but it was more like someone using Sam and Dean in a story than someone actually writing a Supernatural story.
Matt Spaulding
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best one of these books so far. Not only did it capture the spirit of the show well with a good story and plenty of good horror, but it does something the last few books failed miserably at: stands almost entirely on its own without utilizing too much material from the season of the show it takes place in. It's always been my opinion if you are going to have books that tie in to an ongoing series of movies or shows that those stories should stand mostly on their own so you don't have ...more
Brandi
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ugh. While I loved the premise of this book - something is causing people's nightmares to enter the waking world - I hated the way it was written. It kept jumping to new characters' perspectives so that it was impossible to gain any kind of reading momentum. I just didn't care what happened, because I didn't care about any of these characters you only knew for one short chapter - or if, when they did reappear much later in the book, I had no idea who they were because I'd met 20 other characters ...more
Julianna Wagar
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was just no. If you like the TV show just stick to that cuz like no. I gave it 3 stars cuz I love Sam and Dean but like otherwise.....
Stepha
Sep 17, 2011 added it
Shelves: supernatural
Like the other Supernatural books, it mirrored the show very well. There were some parts that were a little creepy. Its a quick very enjoyable read. I look forward to more of the books.
Heather
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

Full Review: http://heathersreadinghideaway.blogsp...

Quick Review: This was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. The characters felt like they should, the story seemed similar to one we'd see in the show, and I was really entertained. I did have some issues with the writing and the fact that I wasn't completely hooked. If I put the book down it took a lot of will power to pick it back up, even if I wasn't hating it. Overall though, a lot of fun.
Emily G
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Christian
Sep 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: media-tie-in, paper
The one thing about cannon books is the writer has to return the main characters back to their original condition before the book started. So, you may ask yourself, why do we read cannon? My answer is that i want to see main character development that goes beyond the 40 or so minutes every week. Unfortunately, this book doesnt even try to develop anything. it masks the monster of the week with trival dreams had by many. so many in fact, one would never personally get involved with the story. Its ...more
Kristen
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, if you've ever watched a monster-of-the-week episode and thought, gosh, these episodes go by too fast... I wish they could take like, TEN TIMES as long to solve one, then this is the book for you. It is very much like watching an episode played in slow motion. That said, it's a fairly good episode, the characterization is largely on point, and I admit I've willingly read a lot worse. In brief, not as good as seasons 4 or 5, but still better than the Leviathan season.
Stargirl
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ok but not much development or anything really personal for the characters, which is always one of the main attraction for me to read "canon" novels.
Crownoyami
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I want to start off by saying I don't like giving bad reviews, I don't. However this book was painful to get through. I ended up reading this book out loud and not only did I find the punctuation incorrect and lacking, (OMG use a comma normal people have to breathe) the EXTREME over usage of the words 'said' and 'asked' was irritating to say the least. I spent most of the book cringing (and not from the actual monsters) while reading. Even the acknowledgements didn't make sense, one minute he's ...more
Cassandra
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-peasy, horror
Josh
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Supernatural fans
This is the first Supernatural novel I've read in some time. I had stopped reading them because I was finding them poorly written with tons of typographical errors, not really interesting, and not up to the name "Supernatural." The books in the series have been released the past year, but I haven't bothered to purchase them because I was soured on this series. However, this book has done a great job of redeeming my opinion of this series of books. This is a fast paced, gruesome, and highly excit ...more
Charity
This has a lot to like, and a lot to hate. The characterization of Sam and Dean is pretty good, but there isn't really a lot of them in the story. There's an awfully high body count even for Supernatural, and not for a justifiable reason. The hows and whys of the creature don't make a ton of sense. Bobby was well written, what little there was of him. There were some really great, creepy scenes that I wish the show had the budget to pull off, but then there were scenes where I was skimming and w ...more
Mary
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theresa Derwin
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
I've read a couple of John's Supernatural tie-ins and have really enjoyed them. It's clear he's a fan of the show and knows his characters - I particularly enjoyed the nightmare scenes. At one point (I'll just say tummy issues) it's pretty obvious why he's a Bram Stoker award winner - the nightmare I'm on about is pure ewwww. With lashings of yuk.
It's a nice plot based on some cool mythology and it rattles along at a good pace. Great fun and seeing Soulless Sam again was really cool. Yes I'm ev
Lady Winchester
This one maybe isn't for the weak stomached. It was very descriptive. Maybe unnecessarily so but it painted a hell of a picture. It seemed to me that the book focused more on Dean than Sam and there were a lot of other point of views. I didn't like the fact that Sam was dreaming about Soulless Sam but only because it wasn't addressed in the show. Despite that I really enjoyed this one. It had a really great storyline and interesting monster.
Kaline
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read!

If you are a fan of the show, then you will enjoy this book. The author did a decent job with Sam and Dean’s personalities. If you aren’t a fan of the show, then you might be a bit lost reading it, as the story references characters and events from the show that aren’t fully explained. However, I am a fan, and could totally see the events in this book playing out in just the way it happened. Well thought out monster and situation.
Devi R. Black
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been the best book of the series tthat I have read until now. The end was somehow dissapointing but not because it is bad, quite the opposite, but because it gave me this feeling of being incomplete but it fits completely with the show's style.
Through all the book you are keep interested and it never stops to surprise you with a new terror. Sometimes if felt like a bit too much, although.
BobaFett114
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was probably one of the scariest, creepiest, craziest books I have ever read! Scary to the point that it was giving me nightmares! Sam and Dean have to fight an unknown baddie in a small town, that is making nightmares come to life. I could have done without the giant tarantula. LOL! Excellent book, well written and I highly recommend it!
Taylor
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
ugh
this book was kinda bad. didn't really like it. plot? sorry who? don't know her
super long super dry boring plot devices
if you're looking to read a real book do not read this
took me 13 days to read. that's an unusually long amount of time.
minky moo
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Another great read based on the spn universe, well read and true to life use of pre existing characters. More please
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good book
Hira165
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had an enormous amount of fun reading this book
It was totally ridiculous, a bit nonsense and gory and super readable. And the little Dean ome liners; just stole my heart
Maggie May
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better Supernatural tie-in novels. Absolutely recommended for SPN fans.
Detra Fitch
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic force twenty-nine years ago. In the years after, their father taught them about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...and he taught them how to kill it.

When Bobby is alerted to some strange happenings in Clayton Falls, Colorado, he sends Sam and Dean Winchester to do a bit of recon. Lucy Quinn, the daughter of the chief of police, claims that she and two friends were chased by a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
  • One Year Gone (Supernatural, #7)
  • The Unholy Cause (Supernatural, #5)
  • Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 4 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #4)
  • Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2)
  • Fresh Meat (Supernatural, #11)
  • Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12)
  • The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls
  • Supernatural: Rising Son
  • Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
  • In the Hunt: Unauthorized Essays on Supernatural
  • Supernatural - Beginning's End Issue #2
  • The Mythology of Supernatural: The Signs and Symbols Behind the Popular TV Show
Bram Stoker Award-Winning co-author of Wither (which has been moved to the J. G. Passarella profile. Also, I'm the author of Wither's Rain, Wither's Legacy, Kindred Spirit, Shimmer, Exit Strategy & Others (fiction collection), and the media tie-in novels: Supernatural: COLD FIRE (MAR 2016), Night Terror & Rite of Passage, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Ghoul Trouble, Angel: Avatar & Monolit ...more

Supernatural (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Nevermore (Supernatural, #1)
  • Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2)
  • Bone Key (Supernatural, #3)
  • Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)
  • The Unholy Cause (Supernatural, #5)
  • War of the Sons (Supernatural, #6)
  • One Year Gone (Supernatural, #7)
  • Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
  • Rite of Passage (Supernatural, #10)
  • Fresh Meat (Supernatural, #11)