Start by marking “The Things I Want Most: The Extraordinary Story of a Boy's Journey to a Family of His Own” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The remarkable story of a couple who risked everything to open their home--and their hearts--to answer an abandoned child's wish.

It was a small note buried in the file of a deeply troubled eleven-year-old boy--a plea for a normal life Rich and Sue Miniter couldn't ignore:

The Things I Want MOST:
A family
A fishing pole
A familyThe Miniters heard in that simple note the voice o
Published September 16th 2009 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Things I Want Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things I Want Most

Silk
Honest account of the risk undertaken when adopting a "difficult" child. Gives you lots to think about if you are considering adoption of an older child.
Elisa Vangelisti
Mi è piaciuto e lo consiglio a tutti i genitori. Infonde coraggio e speranza. Dimostra che anche quando sembra che non ci sia più alcuna possibilità di essere salvati, è sufficiente la volontà per riuscire a cambiare la vita di chi non ha mai avuto nessuno a lottare al proprio fianco.
Thais
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mike è un cosiddetto "bambino difficile", ha alle spalle una lunga storia di abbandoni, e quando Rich e Sue decidono di prenderlo in affido non sanno cosa li aspetta. Credevano che fosse un esserino debole e bisognoso d'amore, e che l'affetto di due persone che lo trattassero come un figlio avrebbe risolto tutti i suoi problemi. Ma Mike sa che quella a cui è stato affidato è solo una famiglia temporanea, e fa di tutto per non affezionarsi, esplodendo in scatti di rabbia quando si accorge di aver
Christine
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
This book is different than most books I enjoy reading, although I do love memoirs. It is about a unique and inspiring family who takes on a difficult foster child named Mike. The setting is lovely - you can just imagine the beautiful mountains of upstate New York and their cozy country inn. On the other hand, you can picture every detail of their heart-wrenching interactions with Mike as he struggles to find himself and acclimate to their family. I was so fascinated with the story that I wanted ...more
Shannon
May 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: child welfare workers
This book was an easy, quick read. If you are interested in foster children, you would likely enjoy it. The writing is pedestrian, and the author uses a formula that gets predictable quickly (kid acts out, chaos ensues, parents have light bulb moment,changes made, kid makes miraculous improvements, rinse, repeat.)
Shannyboo
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a foster child, and the family who took him in. I don't think I could ever be a foster parent, it sounds so incredibly hard, but I think it is amazing that this family took this child and just kept trying and trying until they finally made some progress. It's very sad in parts, but definitely a good read.
Torina
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I read it every few years because the boy in the story is so similar to our daughter. It is ironic because the first time I read it was before I met our daughter and I thought that nothing like that would EVER happen to us. Ta da! It did! And it is okay and entertaining and hard and wonderful. Just like this book.
Christine
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really inspired me and I keep coming back to the story over and over again. Wonderful. Unexpected.

I even emailed the author and after many months he wrote me back. It was very sweet of him to take the time.
Amanda
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I felt it was a good description of foster care of hard kids from the foster parents view. I really love that this family stuck with this kid and didn't give up!!!
Nadine
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page turner. I had to stay up late a few nights cause I couldn't put it down.
Simon Harvey
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant. Needs to be a film
Karen
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A difficult story... sad and inspiring and frustrating all at once. I realized even more what mamzing angels foster and adoptive parents are.
Jen
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would recommend this book to anyone thinking of becoming a foster parent, or anyone with a "difficult" child. I don't have children, but it was an interesting read for me.
Hannah
SO good. about a foster child with lots of behavioral trouble, told by the father. very encouraging story.
Ryann Barker