Start by marking “I Swear” as Want to Read:
I Swear

I Swear

Who’s to blame when bullying leads to suicide? A gripping exploration of crucial importance seeks answers in and out of the courtroom.

After years of abuse from her classmates, Leslie Gatlin decided she had no other options and took her own life. Now her abusers are dealing with the fallout.

When Leslie's parents file a wrongful death lawsuit against their daughter's tormen
Published September 4th 2012 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Swear, please sign up.
Jennifer Pretty sure it's Fraisure (as in daughter of Daysun Fraisure)

Maggie61
This book mostly just made me sad. And angry.
I read most of it in one sitting, I didn't want to put it down, it was that good. The power of bullying has become so relevant now, brings the whole mean girl thing up a few notches. Back when I went to school you had your in crowd and your outcasts but this was on a whole new level of nasty. For no reason at all, other than Macie thinking the boy who likes Leslie should like her instead, macie's mission had been to make Leslie's life hell and for ev
Erikka
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The good news: this book presents an earthy, honest, and revealing look into cyberbullying. It is such an important topic to publicize right now, as it has become an epidemic in schools, including the ones I teach at. Davis creates stunning characters that show why bullies act as they do, and what happens when they go too far.

The bad news: sorry, bullied teens looking for help after identifying with Leslie--Ms. Davis offers you no further assistance. No government sites, no contact info, absolut
Inge
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Kimberly
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I skimmed this book, and found two glaring typos. Just from skimming!

p. 153: "I mean, you're little choppy pixie cut is so dykadelish."

Really? "You are little choppy pixie cut is so dykadelish?"

p. 272: "Who does that? Let's you borrow a spade?"

" Let us you borrow a spade?"

C'monnnnnn! Is copy editing even a thing anymore?

I can't say much for the story--it's a multi-perspective teen novel about bullying, so it's timely if nothing else--but the bad guy (girl, in this case) is a freaking sociopath
Brandy
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One word: UH-Mazing.

Leslie, a senior in high school, commits suicide for reasons that become apparent throughout the book. The story is told in alternate points of view by the high school kids that bullied Leslie and one who simply loved her. You'll read about the trial and the memories of Leslie by each student involved; you'll learn about their fears, their anguish and the emotions that are left behind after an act like this has been committed. Lane describes every point of view imaginable: wh
Wendy Darling
Surprisingly excellent, with unobtrusive and well-written multiple POVs. Review to come.
Mehsi
I still have no clue what to rate this. A 3? A 2? Or a 4? I will just go for a 3.

This book was in a few words, confusing, felt like it dragged and had one very very "Gah, I want to strangle her"-person.

Why confusing? Because you got about 4 or 5 POVs. And most are only about 2 or 3 pages long, some longer, but mostly it is like this: Ah this is about *insert name*, who was that again, ah she was this and that, and bang 2 pages later, next person and process resets again.

I also was sad that we
Diane Ferbrache
It’s senior year and after being bullied non-stop for the past 4 years, Leslie has had enough. She gets in her car to leave, but decides instead to stay in the garage with the car running. This leaves everyone looking for answers – who is really to blame? Jake, the boyfriend, or Beth, the gymnast, or Katherine, the beauty queen, or Jillian, the former best friend, or Macie, who blames everyone else including Leslie’s parents. Told in flashbacks and depositions and conversations we learn the who ...more
Runa
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved the way the story was framed with the subpoenas and depositions. When bullying leads to suicide, it SHOULD be treated as a crime, and I haven't seen statistics, but I'm certain that it almost never is treated as the crime it is and tends to be hushed up and covered up, because who wants that to deal with and tarnish their reputations, amiright? Ugh. I'm mad at the ending. Not mad because of the direction Lane Davis went with it, mad that it's realistic. Mad that there's no justice ...more
Rebecca (BookBacon)
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think the author watched a Pretty Little Liars marathon before writing this book. It screamed highschool cliché 'frenemies' scenario that killed my brain cells progressively throughout the book.

My biggest gripe was that the POV switched every chapter, alternating between a handful of people, who all sounded like one he-she in my head. Because of this, I had to go back to the beginning of chapters several times to figure out whose thought process I was following.

I'd like to think that modern hi
Trisha
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
"The Gatlins are claiming that Leslie killed herself because of unrelenting bullying. They are gathering evidence to file a civil suit for wrongful death. And they are discussing criminal charges with the district attorney."

Every parents worst nightmare. Leslie feels so hopeless...that she takes her own life. In the midst of everyone's shock and grief, is one group of 5 who rule the school - and they don't seem as sad as everyone else.

As the stories and evidence come out, each of the 5 must dec
Lindsay
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
No justice at the end though.. Would have loved to see karma run its course.
Anthea
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
No no no no no.
J.
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I sat down, trialing this book, wary, because I am not a bully book person. I’m too feisty for it and they usually just anger me. What got me? 30 pages in Jake learns of Leslie’s suicide and there was something so raw and honest in the reaction, that it gutted me. Strangely enough, Jake stayed my tried and true favorite character throughout the whole book because of this honesty.

For a book that only took me like 3 hours to read, it packed an insane punch. I teared up several times, boiled with a
Kaylee Sheppard
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I Swear was a book following the aftermath of a teen suicide due to cyber bullying caused by her so called “friends.” Personally, I found it very hard to follow the characters and understand which characters had which traits. Each chapter is a different character. If I could have grown a closer relationship with the characters, I may have given this book a higher rating. This book is very much for the teen reader who enjoys the drama genre. It is based around a teenage girl who is used to gettin ...more
Richie Partington
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: I SWEAR by Lane Davis, Simon & Schuster, September 2012, 288p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-3506-3

“She finally knew one thing for sure: Even if she went to Portland, even if she drove a hundred miles an hour and didn’t stop until she was standing on Aunt Laura’s doorstep, she could never outrun this pain. It would never end, unless she ended it.
“Right now.
“Deep down inside, she knew that going to Aunt Laura’s would never do that. That was just the story she’d told herself to get her to
Josie Niemuth
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Auten
I Swear Review

Book Rating: 4 stars out 5.

Story Line: 4 stars out 5. Leslie Gatlin killed her self...in her garage. The beginning broke my heart. I felt horrible for this poor girl. Macie, Jillian, Katherine, Beth, and Krista all played a part in her death. They all bullied her to the point where the poor girl killed herself. Jake was her only true friend. Every character besides Krista and Macie told their parts in the the story. At first I really didn't like Jillian, Katherine, or Beth. The onl
Maria - (STOP adding me to [roleplaying] groups; even if i accept, i will NOT participate!)
This reminded me a lot of Pretty Little Liars. There was the main b*tch who didn't care who got hurt or killed or whatever, as long as she still got whatever her black hole of a heart wanted. There was the next girl in charge, who knew there was something wrong but never tried to figure out what it was or try to help. There was also the lesbian who was in love with someone she could never have. There was even blackmailing text messages that threatened to destroy lives.

This was a good read, but
Brittany
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I swear good reads book report

Lane Davis’s purpose in writing her novel, I Swear, is to educate the readers about bullying and the types of effects that it has on people. I Swear offers many emotions to the reader. There is anger, relief, pain, sadness, and many more. There are many different messages that are being conveyed in this novel. Many of which teach good lessons to the readers. I Swear is different from most books; it has real life situations that some people can relate too.
There are s
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: B

When Leslie commits suicide after relentless bullying by her peers and friends, her parents pursue a civil lawsuit against her five tormentors. Told in the points of view of three of her bullies and a friend/would-be-boyfriend the story of how Leslie became a target and how viscous the abuse was. Will there be justice for Leslie? And what is justice for a girl who was bullied to death?

I SWEAR begins with Leslie's POV in the prologue, the night she commits suicide. Subsequent alternating
Kylah Polidore
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spoiler Alert, you've been warned: you've been warned!I really like this book. When I read the prologue and I already started 2 like Leslie, she was so nice I didn't want her die.... Leslie, Jake & Josh were my favorite characters & I wanted Jake and Leslie together so bad. Every time Jake had flashbacks of them together I was like heart gif photo: hand heart gif camhandheart.gif

I felt so bad 4 Jake cause he loves Leslie & he was the last person 2 c her alive & one of the last people 2 know she died. When Jake found out I was
Marti
Sometimes you read a book and when you are finished you are just speechless. I Swear by Lane Davis did that to me. It has been over a week since I have finished the book and still I find myself overwhelmed by the horror perpetrated to Leslie for years! I did not throw the book as I was on my kindle, but I considered it briefly.

Bullying is such a rampart problem in our world. Unfortunately, it is in many places in our society and at many levels. Intimidation, fear of reprisals, cruelty and harshn
Jodi P
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-reads
I Swear was a really great, fast-paced read that hits home with a contemporary topic - bullying.
After being relentlessly bullied by the school "mean girls," Leslie finally reaches her limit and commits suicide in her parents garage. This is the opening that instantly hits readers with a great deal of force. It only takes those few pages (the only ones that we will get from Leslie's POV) to fall immediately in her corner.
From there on, each chapter is narrated by a few members of the clique th
Olivia Hennis
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I DO NOT recommend this book for those who have been bullied. Consider this a HUUUUUGE trigger warning about this book.

Someone else mentioned that there was a boat missed on including helpful links for kids who have been bullied... yeah. I think that would have helped, a bit. Not a lot though.

This book basically says that the bad guys not only will ruin your life, run a campaign of fear, and make you kill yourself, but they'll also basically receive no punishment for their bad behavior.

I stand b
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Macie blames Leslie’s parents; Jillian was Leslie’s best friend not too long ago; Beth swears she didn’t start the rumors; Katherine insists she’s not involved; Jake loved Leslie so much he hurt. But Leslie has killed herself – and no one will admit to pushing her over the edge. (jacket)

There is a good deal of blame to go around here. But, like in Thirteen Reasons Why, (view spoiler) Leslie w
Julija
I don't know why I didn't love this book. And the only reason I can think of is that it just... Wasn't powerful enough. I am very particular when it comes to books that deal with bullying, I guess. And in this book, only Jake's story truly made me sad.

That said, this is a good book. What I liked most about it is that Macie, of all characters, did not get a POV of her own. Precisely because she is the driving force.

Another thing I really liked is that all of the characters had their own reasons f
Vicki
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is another one that has a topic that is difficult to read about because it is realistic and true to life. Cyberbullies are real and they are often the reason the bullied give for their suicide.

You have to follow closely as the story is told in multiple points of view, so it's easy to get confused if you don't pay close attention, but their voices are quite different and easy to identify.

I couldn't believe the ending! I definitely wasn't expecting it to end the way it did.

Recommendatio
Gisbelle
I thought it was a nice book with great story and characters. However, the ending was a little disappointing and shocking to me.

The multiples characters made the story confusing at first since it was told from 5 different points of view. Besides, there were so many characters that I had to go back and forth to remember who was who. Or maybe I wasn't very focused when I read this book.

In general, I was intrigued and eager to know the story behind Leslie's suicide. Marcie had given a new definitio
Minty McBunny
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, november-2014
As someone who experienced moderate-to-severe bullying in high school, this story was hard to read.

That said, I couldn't put it down and read it in a very short time because I found the story so absorbing and heartbreaking.

I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it went a little over the top in places, Macie was just too evil to buy into and some of the dramatic moments felt contrived. And the ending was disappointing in several ways. But it was still a good read and better than a lot of YA out

• 34 Pieces of You
  • Anything But Ordinary
  • After the Death of Anna Gonzales
  • How to Win at High School
  • My Beautiful Failure
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
  • Beyond: A Ghost Story
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Burning Blue
  • Before You Go
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • The Opposite of Hallelujah
  • Out of Reach
“It's a strange thing when you spend so much time and energy fearing the worst will happen. Turns out that when it finally occurs, it's pretty much as bad as you thought it would be. In fact, some parts are worse. Then an amazing thing happens. You see clearly for the first time what made the terrible thing so frightening in the first place: You didn't think you'd survive. But you do.” 9 likes
“What makes the difference between the choice to move forward and the choice to stop choosing forever? I” 1 likes