Start by marking “The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry” as Want to Read:
The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry

The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A new selection of tales from one of America's favorite storytellers, designed to appeal to young readers. He's a minster of the surprise ending and champion of the underdog. Includes such favorites as "The Ransom of Red Chief", "Gifts of the Magi", "The Furnished Room", "The Guilty Party", and more.
Published February 4th 1996 by Gramercy

Be the first to ask a question about The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry

Namiko
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ransom of Red Chief is fun. I wonder if American boys is like him. Scared!
Cippi
Sep 23, 2008 added it
O. Henry's humorous, energetic style shows the influence of Mark Twain and Ambrose Bierce. The story tells about two kidnappers, who make off with the young son of a prominent man. They find out that the child is a real nuisance. In the end they agree to pay the boy's father to take him back. - "Sam," says Bill, "I suppose you'll think I'm a renegade. but I couldn't help it. I'm a grown person with masculine proclivities and habits of self-defense, but there is a time when all systems of egotism ...more
Joshua
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Picked this up after reading "Gift of the Magi", "After Twenty Years", and "A Retrieved Reformation" in classes I was a substitute teacher for. Those were probably the best stories in the collection, but the whole thing is a fun read. O Henry has a great sense of humor, but also does excellent poignant stories.
jennspoint
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just for boys! :-) This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I was not disappointed. I can't believe I hadn't read this before. A real treasure, and beautiful time capsule of historical American culture and dialogue. Very touching and humorous.
Sharon
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love short stories. This is one of my favorite O. Henrys. Another that is more difficult to find is "The Pimienta Pancakes."
Chaotician
Melanie A Minick
Nov 24, 2016
Dec 23, 2007
ghhuukmbcg
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2016
Sherry Connelly
Jun 28, 2007
Katarina Stanojevic
Dec 07, 2014
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in his uncle's d
More about O. Henry...