Jump to ratings and reviews
BURIED UNDER TWO MILES OF ICE.

In Antarctica, a glacial earthquake swallows up a team of scientists...and exposes a mysterious monument older than the Earth itself.

In Peru, archaeologist Dr. Conrad Yeats is apprehended by U.S. Special Forces...to unlock the final key to the origins of the human race.

In Rome, the pope summons environmental activist Dr. Serena Serghetti to the Vatican...and reveals a terrifying vision of apocalyptic disaster.

In space, a weather satellite reveals four massive storms forming around the South Pole...and three U.S. spy satellites disappear from orbit.

These are the end times, when the legends of a lost civilization and the prophecies of the world's great religions lead a man and a woman to a shattering discovery that will change the fate of humankind. This is the ultimate voyage, a journey to the center of time, as awe-inspiring as the dawn of man--and as inevitable as doomsday. This is RAISING ATLANTIS....

337 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published January 1, 2004

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Thomas Greanias

25 books140 followers
No. 1 Amazon, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of seven international thrillers, including Raising Atlantis, The Atlantis Prophecy, The Atlantis Revelation, The Promised War, The 34th Degree, The War Cloud and The Chiron Confession.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
465 (10%)
1 star
164 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 217 reviews
Profile Image for Nicole.
364 reviews9 followers
December 13, 2010
Raising Atlantis reads like a less articulate, not as interesting version of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. Given that these two novels came out around the same time and focus on similar themes (uncovering the past's secrets to discover some type of treasure), there is a reason Dan Brown is a much more familiar name than Thomas Greanias. Don't get me wrong, the premise was very interesting; there was a lot of action and adventure, but I just didn't like it very much. For one, some parts of the novel were very hard to understand... 25% of the time, I had no idea what was happening (the writing just wasn't that great). Also, the characters bothered me so much. Now I get that a majority of the time, male characters are made to represent how the author views himself (translation: most of the time they are charming, smart and every woman in existence wants them), but Dr. Conrad Yeats was not charming or smart to me... for the most part, he was extremely annoying... Ooh, I know everything... I'm so awesome that nuns leave their vocation to be with me (or not?)... I can do whatever I want and could care less about the consequences. Even the nun annoyed the crap out of me (a nun!!! and I'm Catholic). She was too damn perfect, and couldn't make up her mind about anything... Ooh, I want to be the wife of Christ, no, wait, I think I like Conrad, I can't decide, let's go green and be extremely annoying to anyone that comes around you... and did I mention, I know every language in existence? Don't even get me started on the end... I mean seriously??? Way to make your slightly decent book seem like a crack addict wrote it. I'm still going to read the rest of the series however... because I am just that much of a masochist.
300 reviews
August 24, 2014
One of the most useless, pointless books I've read lately. This was an all plot book of conflict between artificial characters that may have come out of a poorly written sci-fi show. The surrounding scaffold structure for the book appear as if a wikipedia assault had been launched by someone trying to merge Angels and Demons, all the pseudo-science literature and web links related to the Great Pyramid, and some of Immanuel Velikovsky's "Worlds in Collision" book.

The last 100 pages only had action depicted as individuals struggling against each other on individual terms in a surreal setting that was always described as thousand foot descents or overly large chambers beneath a pyramid at the South Pole. Repeatedly the leading characters would escape a sure fire life ending gunpoint containment, only to repeat a very similar event sequence later where the character unduress the first time might have the upper hand in the next sequence. This plot motif must have been lifted from a sequence of bad video games.

The only reason to finish the book was to see what type fo final outcome present itself for the leading hero and heroine. There wasn't a final outcome, the book having ended in a repeated sideways level drift.
Profile Image for Andrea Cambon.
110 reviews2 followers
November 14, 2010
I don't even know where to start. When I first chose to read this book it was because I have always felt interested in the story of Atlantis. Since the story itself talks about a city that has supposedly vanished, your mind as a reader has to be open enough to accept things that you might find not completely possible to believe. At the beginning of the book I was quite excited, thinking it would be something more similar to that Indiana Jones Atlantis PC game than the book's actual development of the story. Is it just me or were there too many inconsistencies?
1) Conrad Yeats is an alien. REALLY? Was that necessary? And he had been frozen for thousands of years until his adoptive father found him? Well, if that's true, then please bring Walt Disney back to life!
2) Serena Serghetti: What to we know about her? She first became a nun, but then she quit. She became famous worldwide, had had a previous encounter with the Pope that apparently hadn't gone too well, she is a UN councilor and also the head of an Australian organization that has something to do with the Antarctic. And FIVE years ago it was her last encounter with Conrad Yeats, whom she had an affair with. Go Serena! And, how old are you? 27???????? How on earth did she have time to do all that? Oh, and she is a pilot too. And has a Doctorate. Seriously?
3) Maybe I was so bored reading this that I might have not paid enough attention to what I was reading, but, did they actually find Atlantis in the only night of several millenniums when they could actually change the world? Please someone tell me this isn't true
4) How is it possible that Conrad Yeats' father didn't die when he fell into an abyss?
5) The -trying to get the zippo- sequence by Conrad Yeats when he was trapped. His hands were tied, but he managed to get his sunglasses into his pocket to reach for the zippo. No comment.
6)General Yeats decides to freeze Serena, his son and himself before going to space... And again, how are the three of you going to defrost yourselves?
Sorry, but I am not very happy with this book....
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for J.B..
57 reviews9 followers
March 25, 2019
DNF 80%

I was really excited about this book because the concept is fantastic, unfortunately the actual book not so much. From the nun who isnt a nun but an earth savior to the completely ridiculous alien archeologist with Fabio hair I just couldn't bring myself to care what happened to the characters. I was detached the entire time hoping a crack in the ice would open up and just swallow all of them whole so I could throw this book in the donate pile.
Profile Image for Kara Jorges.
Author 14 books25 followers
December 19, 2012
This book has done a good job of taking several tried and true ingredients and mixing them together in a different way. Greanias has mixed Antarctica with ancient history, thrown in a dash of religion, and added a healthy dose of scientific conjecture on the existence of Atlantis, along with the theory of ancients coming from space. What we get is a surprisingly down-to-earth adventure tale combining military plots and Biblical history with Greanias’s vision of Atlantis.

Former nun Serena Serghetti, now known around the world as Mother Earth for her environmental activism, is called to a special audience with the pope wherein he asks her to travel to Antarctica. Seems the Americans are violating international treaty and have some sort of military operation going on there. Serena knows there’s something else going on, especially when she is joined at Ice Base Orion by her old love, controversial archaeologist Conrad Yeats. To complicate things, Conrad’s difficult father, ex-astronaut, General Griffin Yeats, is in charge there. The Americans have found a pyramid buried beneath the ice cap, and General Yeats wants his son to find a way in. Once that is accomplished, Conrad and Serena find themselves facing not only danger to themselves, but a possible end to the world when the pyramid opens a portal to the world of ancient Atlantis. And…they aren’t the only ones in Antarctica with an agenda. A team of Egyptian commandos is lurking, trying to steal an important obelisk from Conrad in order to discover the secrets of the origins of time, and securing themselves a seat of power when the world as we know it is destroyed and a new age begins.

The book starts off with a bang and keeps going at a pretty good pace all the way to the end. The story line is a bit farfetched, but find me a good adventure novel where that isn’t the case. What I really liked about it was that Biblical history was given as much credence as popular scientific theory, though Serena had to speak up every now and then to make it so. The characters could have used a little more depth, and the angle with the bad guys chasing the heroes could have been a little sharper, but in all, it was a satisfying read. While not the absolute best adventure book I’ve ever read, it is a good, solid piece of work that kept me turning the pages. For a first effort, Raising Atlantis is a winner.
Profile Image for Lianne Burwell.
782 reviews22 followers
February 8, 2012
Raising Atlantis is part of a category of fiction that has been slowly growing over the last decade; books that were self-published as an ebook and sold well enough to be snapped up by a traditional publisher.

This book shows its self-publishing roots. The story is a little scattered, with characters turning up out of nowhere with assumed history, but never actually established. Both the hero and the heroine tend to change characterization without warning, and in the end, I found both of them pretty unlikeable. One is an archaeologist obsessed with fame, and tending to think that actual archaeological sites are not as important as what you learn, so he's willing to destroy them if he needs to. The other is a former nun turned extreme environmentalist, revered by many as 'Mother Earth', and reviled by other because she doesn't care what effect her actions have on the livelihood of others. She, especially, bounces all over the landscape. She's in love with the hero, although you never really understand why, and she left the church but still wants to be part of it. She's all about saving the planet, but at one point suggests just abandoning it.

Basically, the hero, Conrad Yeats is sort of blackmailed by his adoptive father (who refuses to tell him anything about his origins) into going to Antarctica because his father has found a buried pyramid. His father, of course, knows more than he's letting on. The Vatical sends Serena (aka Mother Earth) after Conrad to figure out what he's involved in. And then there are the Russians, a group of Arab soldiers, suspicions that the US is breaking the Antarctic treaties by doing something involving nuclear testing.

Oh yeah, and the lost city of Atlantis, possibly built by aliens, under two miles of ice, and the possible end of the world.

Despite the many flaws in the book, the story was still a page turner, pulling you on, and I do plan on reading the book with the other half of the story.
Profile Image for Jaime K.
Author 1 book43 followers
December 4, 2014
I read this book in less than 20 hours. It is fast-paced, interesting, and full of science and religion. In a way, it's a less extreme version of Dan Brown's novels.

We are in what the mythology of the Aztecs and Mayans believe to be the Fifth Sun.
Antarctica is the possible place of Atlantis...or something even bigger. The pyramid that is found there is unlike anything on Earth.
The United States is breaking treaty and performing what the world believes to be nuclear testing on the southern cap...but it's more than that.

Serena is a former nun who left the Church (though not its teachings) because she fell in love with a man named Conrad Yeats. He's an archaeologist who is a bit of a player but is very involved with his work. His adoptive father (and it was very easy to know the difference; Greanias always called the son "Conrad" or "Dr. Yeats" and the father was plain "Yeats") is an egotistical, selfish man who has secrets about Conrad that he holds over the former lovers' heads.

The danger is that the world will shift as it did billions of ears ago, and Antarctica will make its way back to the equator while North America becomes the North Pole. When events are already in motion, can a few moral souls save the current world?

I really loved the fact that Serena has held strong to her convictions and didn't give into physical temptation. I also enjoyed the multiple countries, cultures and languages that were represented. It wasn't even awkward, but flowed together well.

I didn't like though how on page 213 of the PB version I read that Serena was thinking that she stayed pure for naught. Mmmm, that's not how we think. And we're all sinners, though we're not being punished for our behaviors.
216 reviews2 followers
October 20, 2011
I love a good adventure tale but why does it seem all the genre's writers fall for the same ridiculous tropes. Why do the villains have to be so irrational and over the top? There are so many cliches here. But while those can be ignored for the sake of getting to the point of the tale, it's harder to ignore that there are no likeable characters. They are all so focused on what they want to the exclusion of all else that they all seem incapable of having believable empathy for anyone else. Even Serena is so well defined by her save the world from everyone else persona that she doesn't appear capable of a believable connection with anyone, particularly Conrad. Their relationship is poorly related and it's hard to find qualities to attract anyone to them let alone them to each other.

As for the story itself, it depended way too much on Christian mythology and nonsensical combinations of religions to be credible. It was mildly entertaining but does little to differentiate itself from the mass of similar novels.
March 7, 2015
Terrible, the idea is good but the characters are ridiculously and annoyingly perfect and the development of the story equally ridiculous.
Profile Image for Christa.
2,214 reviews419 followers
January 1, 2009
Raising Atlantis was a very fast paced adventure. It was full of action and mayhem. The story takes place over a period of a few days, and much happens during that time. The hero was flawed but likeable. I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the sequel, Raising Atlantis.

Doctor Conrad Yeats, who has lost all respect in the archaeology community, has been searching for a nebulous "Mother Culture" for years. When his adopted father has him brought to Antartica where strange things are going on, it appears that Conrad's lifelong search may not have been in vain. As odd events escalate in Antartica it begins to seem that this may be the Atlantis of legends. The Vatican has heard of some of the strange happenings in Antartica, and sends in former nun, Serena Serghetti, who is currently an avid environmentalist. As Conrad and Serena, who have met before, confront one another in Antartica, they are suddenly beseiged by Russians, Egyptians, Conrad's father, and others who want the glory and power of finding the secrets held here. Conrad and Serena realize that the earth as we know it is in jeopardy, and they must survive the dangers they are facing in order to stop events that have been set in motion before the world they know is lost.

This was an entertaining adventure, and was very quick to read. I enjoyed the story and the major characters. I look forward to reading about the further adventure that Conrad Yeats and Serena Serghetti will share in the book that follows.

Profile Image for Michael.
268 reviews5 followers
February 28, 2018
I started this with a certain amount of excitement because I love stories that involve finding out stuff about Antarctica. Other themes of interest quickly came to the surface. At the same time, I realized that this book was going to be VERY short on actual science and history and VERY long on crappy relationship nonsense between totally idiotic stock characters. This might have been slightly mitigated if the author possessed any skill at ALL at writing descriptions of things or even plausible action. He did not. The whole book was so badly written that I wanted to scream.
None of the parts in the pyramid made much sense at all...his sense of size and distance was so absurdly distorted.
The final towering offense was the implausibly inane notion that the exact time and date of Jesus birth was the key to stopping the ECD event. Which brings us to the books ONE saving grace: the Earth Crust Displacement theory. I was pleased to see this explained in here. I would urge readers to explore this further, as it seems to explain the geophysical state of the earth.
I read the author bio after I finished and thought “Oh well, if I’d known this was written by some tinsel-head like THIS, I’d never have bothered to pick it up.”
Profile Image for George Ilsley.
Author 13 books207 followers
December 18, 2022
“Thrillers” usually disappoint me, but this one was about Antarctica so I thought I’d give it a go.

What a confusing pile of quarter-baked crap (less than half-baked). I always enjoy pondering ancient archeology and anomalous structures; yet the action here was relentless and ridiculous, and the plot threads fanciful—and also completely ridiculous.

Surprised to see that the nominal hero “Conrad Yeats” continues to shine in following books—I could not stand the guy. Nobody here seems like a real person—they were all stock cartoonish characters. Conrad was supposed to be the dashing unconventional archeologist—but to me seemed like a total jerk.

Basic facts about Antarctica were wrong, such as claiming that Australia is the “closest nation”. Perhaps—if one ignores Argentina, Chile, South Africa, and New Zealand.

Also had great difficulty when they are in a pit two miles deep and the sun is always shining down there. Heck, even inside a pyramid 2 miles down the sun shines through a narrow shaft and illuminates the place for hours!

Thrillers!! Bah, humbug!!
53 reviews4 followers
June 6, 2011
This book had a really nice theme and idea which i really liked because it was sci-fiction but had the ancient Egyptian world twist with life beyond human knowledge that was being explored first time. This new world being found out in the world's only place that no dumb person would want to live in which was Antarctica the coldest place on earth full of snow and ice and blizzards. I like how the main character went against his own father over some scientific theory he made up in their journey to explore what happen to the earth before we came here. It opened my eyes up kind of like what is our reason here and how did we come to be and what happen before we where here.The author is very smart putting like 3 worlds together and mixing to create this crazy modern fantasy where the main characters have no idea that hey walked into a very dangerous place that controlled the entire world they are living in right now.
Profile Image for Kristen.
2,059 reviews129 followers
February 4, 2016
In Thomas Greanias's Raising Atlantis, the first installment in the Conrad Yeats Adventure thriller series, this best-selling e-book and print book series would take you on an adventure of your own. For Conrad, he was an archaeologist who searched for the world's mysteries and debunked their myths. But he came across an ice cold stone treasure in Antartica, where the legendary city of Atlantis have been hidden and buried for thousands of years. He wasn't alone, when Sister Serena Sereghetti and his other father joined them in this wild arctic cold ride to the bottom of the earth. They've discovered secret treasures to unlock it, while the Arabs and their own military were after them to stop Dooms Day from happening to mankind. Now it was up to them to prevent it from happening, while Vatican City wanted Serena to keep this under wraps and to say nothing happened with a shocking twist.
Profile Image for Rex Libris.
1,086 reviews2 followers
July 3, 2019
It is sad to ponder how many trees had to die for this book to be published. The author is kind of a poor man's Dan Brown without the total misrepresentation of everything.

All of the characters are cretins and you want them all to die as soon as you meet them. Sadly they do not. They go to Antarctica where they discover Atlantis, which is an alien spaceport that is about to destroy life on Earth. Specifically, the cretins trigger the process. See, if they died when you wanted them, none of it would have happened. Of course, as every hack writer makes it so, the cretins are actually super-brave, super-smart, etc, and save the day. Again, if they had not been super-dumb to start with, none of it would have happened.

Profile Image for John Furie.
10 reviews
April 10, 2012
From the book (p 339): "A thought-provoking blend of mythology and religion, archaeology and science, Raising Atlantis is a work of fiction -- but many of its reveations are based upon facts. The National Science Foundation has acknowledged that several plot points are indeed true." The end of Raising Atlantis leaves the reader wanting more for the two main characters, Conrad Yeats and Sister Serghetti. Luckily, the author has written follow-up stories for all of us to hungrily consume.
Profile Image for Kirsten .
1,565 reviews251 followers
September 2, 2015
I'm not really sure about this book. I was hoping it'd be a book along the lines of Clive Cussler's thrillers. It was okay, but I really think that Mr. Greanias was trying too hard. He tried to squish everything in this book - Noah's flood, 9/11, Islamic fundamentalism, Maya, Aztec, Egyptian prophecies, Atlantis. It was just too much.

However, I will probably read the sequel. I like these kind of thrillers. I just wish it was a little less awkward.
Profile Image for Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho.
1,084 reviews58 followers
January 14, 2023
I've just finish this book and I have as almost all thrillers mix feelings.
I love history thrillers. They can me amazing... why did people construct Stonehenge and how, why there are pyramids in Egypt, Mexico, Servia (I believe it was discovered) or cambodja when they even communicate. Why some maps have a massive white continent hundreds of years before someone "discovered" and so on... These are amazing questions that leave open for interesting thrillers...
This one puts Atlántida in the Antarctica and tries to correlates with myths from south America or Egypt and explain some stuff I will not talk here.. And it's amazing and believable - well part of it

So enter Conrad Yeats a archaeologist that is probably the best one in the world and a womanizer. Enter Serena Serghetti the young woman of 27 that can/is ;
1) a nun
2) famous worldwide due to her activist for the environment and other stuff- imagine that brat greta times 100 but cool.
3) un councillor and also director of Australia Antarctic preservation society
4) a helicopter pilot
5) doctor

My god... she reminds me of that meme with the porn actor who is a medic, fireman, handyman, accountant, astronaut etc...

And then the father of Conrad who is what you expect from a US Military man. Driven, obnoxious , only see the end results not caring for anyone and so on...

So what is this about...
Basically, an earthquake happens in antarctica and our two protagonists go there (for different reasons) to understand what is happening. Alas, it's Atlantida (not really a spoiler since it's in the backcover). Enter archaelogic history lesson which was fine and thriller stuff happen.. But my main problem are spoiler territory...

Spoiler BEGIN
- everything happens because it happens at the correct time people are just there - it's almost like fate
- the all alien stuff and main character being a alien but never really found out except today! it seems we are all alien.
- the Arabs being there before anyone else and for their own selfish reasons of oil
- let me torture you girlie with the same methods you Christians tortured us for hundreds of years (arabs) WHAT? Inquisition main victims were other Christians & Jews not Arabs as if Arabs didn't knew how to torture someone. Yeah right
- the all, catholic priests rape children and yet you believe in god stuff... I am not a Christian but that's not how stuff work. are 100% of all priests rapists? Is it a small percentage? Yeah some football fans from my club raped people therefore I shouldn't be of my club. Does my club incentives that or Christianity?
- The all action scenes that are just boring & repetitive including the one Conrad is tied to a post and with his teeth he grabbed his glasses, with his glasses when to his pocket and put the zippo in the lenses, put that in the collar and down into his hand. Fucking MacGyver meets Mission Impossible.
- The all plot itself around the pyramid become the crust displacement but then a spectre stops it.. oh well at least the Maldives are gone - and this is what upsets me. Not the Maldives stuff (okay that would be bad of course) but the status quo. The problem with thrillers is it happens a lot of stuff but in the end we have to maintain the status quo ante bellum so you can justify the second/third novel. And this happens with all thrillers I know - people will never knew this happen, something happens and not even the government involved know and everyone is happy. This upsets me a lot.
- the alien spacecraft

SPOILERS ENDING

Overall, it was fast fun ride but unfortunately I found it flat due to the characters and the plot itself. The only redeeming quality is the archaeologic stuff that makes me wonder about the volatile of history itself.

Profile Image for Henri Moreaux.
1,001 reviews33 followers
May 26, 2019
I was trying to put my finger on what this novel reminds me of and I think I've worked it out - I think it's reminiscent of Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, only instead of being set within the church itself it's set under 2 miles of ice in Antarctica in ruins that have been recently exposed in an earthquake.

That's not to say this is a rip off of the aforementioned like many novels that came out around this time were. No, rather this is a mixture of themes that come together quite well, despite the imaginative setting and thought provoking ruins which are described within one thing the book is quite light on is character development. All the characters seem to almost be cardboard cutouts with just a brief outline of their characteristics given which leaves some of them feeling almost cliched. Being an action slash adventure novel however the book itself doesn't suffer too much as a result of the shallow characters instead it rather focuses the reader's attention towards what is happening rather than who is experiencing what is happening.

I thought the setup, execution, scenery and circumstances were interesting and vividly described, especially the latter two. Whilst the theme of Atlantis isn't exactly a unique story to tell I thought this spin on the old myth was good, as such I'll likely be checking out the following 2 books in the series shortly.
Profile Image for Terri.
360 reviews8 followers
June 2, 2021
An interesting storyline, while I did find myself intrigued and stuck to the pages, I also found it hard to follow along with some parts of the book. Mostly because I felt like some parts jumped around from one place to another and then there were other parts where nothing really made sense at all.

Other than that, I thought the story of a hidden Atlantis in the Artic was a curious thing, to think of such a large city hidden away and connected to a single person was well thought through, the characters, while not too many around was easy to follow through. The only thing I did get a little confused about was how everyone seemed to already know what they were searching for and what the septar seemed to look like before they had even found the pyramid under the ice. It just seemed a little unplauseable to get your mind around while reading most of the novel.
Profile Image for Santiago L. Moreno.
264 reviews31 followers
February 15, 2022
No llega ni a best seller. Una nadería insustancial que se lee en segundo nivel mientras se piensa en otras cosas. Válido para reiniciar lentamente la maquinaria cuando se arrastra una crisis de lectura.
Profile Image for In-Wonderland-world.
127 reviews15 followers
September 5, 2020
Un libro de misterio, suspenso y aventura que me atrapó lo suficiente como para pasarme largas horas en su compañía.
Comencé a leerlo porque buscaba libros similares a los de Dan Brown, y a medida que lo fui leyendo encontré varias similitudes. Sin embargo logra mantener su identidad y ofrecernos una historia muy interesante, que nos atrapa de principio a fin.
Me gustan mucho los personajes principales y te deja con ganas de saber más de ellos en los siguientes libros.
Debo admitir, también, que muchas veces me perdí con los nombres como la P4, cabina del sol primogenio y las distintas salas en las que entraban los personajes, con lo cual debía volver atrás para buscar qué me había perdido.
Es un libro de aventura que te dará muchas horas de suspenso y acción.
Profile Image for Trish.
1,846 reviews3,363 followers
January 24, 2011
Was als interessante Idee angefangen hatte, entpuppte sich schnell zur bitter-bösen Enttäuschung!
Anfangs war das Buch noch voll mit fantastischen Möglichkeiten - einer Mischung aus Archäologie, eigenwilligen Charakteren und einer Portion Vorstellungskraft. Aber schon bald driftete das Buch immer mehr ab. Witzige Passagen wichen fast seitenlangem Gefasel über Glauben, wahre Opfer und das Leides Jesu Christi!
Der absolute Gipfel war aber, dass das Buch zum Schluss herzlich wenig mit Geschichte und antiken Völkern, als viel mehr mit einem Raumschiff zu tun hatte!!!
Und anstatt dann wenigstens dieses Thema vernünftig zu Ende zu führen, stiehlt sich der Autor aus der Verantwortung einer richtigen Auflösung indem er zur Kirche, den Weltreligionen und den angeblich wichtigeren Dingen des Alltags (Kampf gegen Gewalt, Hungersnöte etc.) zurückkehrt und den Erzählstrang um das Raumschiff und dessen Antworten buchstäblich im All abdriften lässt.
Fazit: Eine absolute Zeitverschwendung trotz all des Potenzials!
Profile Image for DulleNL.
61 reviews11 followers
February 27, 2015
Voor een boek wat je wilt lokken door avontuur en mysterie is er veel te weinig avontuur en mysterie. Alles is te vanzelfsprekend voor de personages, ze zijn niet tot nauwelijks verwonderd over de dingen die gebeuren en die ze zien.
Komen ze een ruimte in van vele duizenden jaren oud. Wordt er gezegd 'this is clearly [...]'
Clearly.
Natuurlijk.
En ze hebben natuurlijk altijd gelijk. Hun eerste gok is altijd perfect. Waar ze ook zijn, wat ze ook doen; perfectie.

De onderlinge relaties vind ik ook maar slecht en oppervlakkig uitgewerkt

Het verhaal speelt zich te veel af in een rechte lijn, zonder verrassingen. De schrijver weet waar ie naartoe wilt, maar weet het niet op een leuke manier te verpakken.
De dingen... gebeurden gewoon... ik maakte er geen deel van uit, alles werd in 1 keer voor mijn neus opgelost, geen spannende tochten, geen personages waar je écht mee meeleeft.

Volgens Goodreads zou dit 2 sterren waard zijn ('it was ok'), maar 2 sterren staat bij mij voor een echt heel matig boek dus dan maar 3.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 217 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.