Start by marking “Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)

Overcoming Anger And Irritability

(Overcoming)

This self-help manual is for those who find that they are spoiling the lives of both themselves and those around them with their irritability and bad temper. It helps sufferers understand why bouts of anger occur, and what can be done to overcome them.
Unknown Binding
Published September 28th 2000 by Not Avail (first published August 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Anger And Irritability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Anger And Irritability

Start your review of Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
Aless
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
3.5-4 stars
My work library has several of these Overcoming series books available as part of general wellbeing help. I just happened to see them and thought this one could be interesting or useful. I haven't really read about anger or irritability in much detail before and the others in this series available in the library didn't seem relevant to me.

So after reading it turns out I've never had an anger problem at all, some of the advice was useful in here but it wasn't really what I was personal
Laurencia
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Credibility check: I was always easily irritated, and friends and family would tell me (or whisper between themselves) that I have "anger management issues".

Bought this book two months back, as a feeble attempt to trick myself into thinking that I was going to work on my anger issues. Naturally, when the book arrived, I took one look at it, didn't felt much hope, and left it in my cupboard. Two weeks ago, a major incident happened. Driven by sheer desperation, I picked up this book while mainta
Lauren
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This and the anxiety/worry book were more or less the same book - though they were focused on issues that manifest in different ways, the solutions are more or less the same (which isn't surprising, since both are focused on CBT techniques).

Anyway, it was helpful for me (though probably a little less helpful than the anxiety one, probably because I found out that going for a walk with the dog after work helped me process a lot of the workday and stop the flailing irritation about work I used to
Liisa Aavik
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a very useful tool for psychologist or a person with anger and irritability management issues. Some advice regarding depression-related issues was maybe a bit too general, but the author also mentioned that for that you should read a more specific book.
Alex
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a huge evidence base around the value of reading to support health and wellbeing. A large number of self-help books have been published. The ‘Overcoming’ series contains over 30 titles that cover a range of difficulties (including but not restricted to mental health problems) that are amenable to a CBT approach.

‘Overcoming Anger and Irritability: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques’, written by psychologist William Davies, delivers exactly what it says on the tin.

T
Pippa
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good book which looked at the kind of thought patterns that are more likely to make you angry, and at actions you can take to deal with angry feelings. It was quite repetitive because it used the same incidents to illustrate different points and strategies. The anger I get is mostly to do with boredom and frustration, so I did find myself, ironically, getting angry with it, and crossly skim-reading at times. I also thought the vocabulary was mostly assuming a level of education which ...more
Debbie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting read. Struggled with the exercises though. Some of them made me feel worse because I couldn’t come up with better alternatives.

I found some of the repetitive examples quite annoying too. I had to laugh at the one where the mother says ‘clear it up, there’s a good boy’

If someone said ‘there’s a good girl’ to me I’d get absolutely furious. It’s so condescending.
I’d rather be screamed at for being useless than told that. Ughhhhhhh

So, not totally cured of anger and irritability then
Vasco
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bad: nothing of note.

The good: very interesting book with concrete strategies. It's tangible, systematic and effective. Very good read.
Lauren Nesbitt
Nov 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn’t get into this book at all. It actually made my mental health worse so I decided to put it down.
Shirin Abdel Rahman
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Very useful book even if you don't have Anger issues. ...more
Stephen Lockett
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book worked for , mind you I had to also read Chimp Paradox before I mastered myself
J. Pablo
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a very short book and it feels very actionable. I have the impression it applies more to people that have bouts of anger than someone who has an annoying constant background level of anger. ...more
Saffron
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit repetitive in it's use if case studies but a good starting point to make you stop and think about actions before making rash decisions.

This book will not solve all the issues that come up with anger and irritability but a good look into basic useable CBT techniques, written in a friendly easy to read format.
Kristen MacGregor
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another good self help. This one is a bit different though because it seems like most of them spend the majority of the book explaining why you need the self-help steps and only a few chapters on how to actually make the changes they suggest. But this book only spends 1/3 of the book talking about anger and irritability and why some people need to overcome certain aspects of it. The rest of the book is exercises working you through how to change yourself. I think the working model he comes up wi ...more
Shiraz Esat
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. I'm lying when I say I've finished this book; I have yet to work through the exercises in Part Two.
But, Part One is excellent and helpful in itself.
Judging by the state of the Internet, this is a must have reference book needed on most of our bookshelves.
Devorah
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another practical book, using a small number of incidents and a really useful chart to illustrate how anger and irritability are triggered and how they can be understood and managed for better outcomes.
Hard Knocks 101
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a quick and easy read. It's very easy to understand and sheds a lot of light on issues everyone deals with ranging from body image issues to anger management. This book would be helpful to all ages. ...more
Awehla
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't read all the book, got it out of the library on a bit of an impulse. ...more
Kss
Oct 24, 2019
Erin
Jan 26, 2012
Steffy
rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Infinite
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Social Work, Cats and Rocket Science: What Great Social Work with Adults Really Looks Like!
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Zwischen neun und neun
  • Meet Me in Cockleberry Bay (Cockleberry Bay #2)
  • Half a World Away
  • The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • How To Solve The Rubik's Cube
  • How To Be A Productivity Ninja
  • The Millennium Trilogy (Millennium Trilogy, #1-3)
  • The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life
  • Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World
  • The Netocracts: Futurica Trilogy 1
Dr. William Davies (b. 1950) is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Academic Director of APT (The Association for Psychological Therapies). Previously, he was a Consultant Psychologist and Head of Psychology at St Andrew’s Healthcare, Northampton, a national resource for difficult to manage patients.

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques