Start by marking “Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)

Overcoming Anger And Irritability

(Overcoming)

This self-help manual is for those who find that they are spoiling the lives of both themselves and those around them with their irritability and bad temper. It helps sufferers understand why bouts of anger occur, and what can be done to overcome them.
Unknown Binding
Published September 28th 2000 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Anger And Irritability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Anger And Irritability

Start your review of Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
Lauren
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This and the anxiety/worry book were more or less the same book - though they were focused on issues that manifest in different ways, the solutions are more or less the same (which isn't surprising, since both are focused on CBT techniques).

Anyway, it was helpful for me (though probably a little less helpful than the anxiety one, probably because I found out that going for a walk with the dog after work helped me process a lot of the workday and stop the flailing irritation about work I used to
Alex
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a huge evidence base around the value of reading to support health and wellbeing. A large number of self-help books have been published. The ‘Overcoming’ series contains over 30 titles that cover a range of difficulties (including but not restricted to mental health problems) that are amenable to a CBT approach.

‘Overcoming Anger and Irritability: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques’, written by psychologist William Davies, delivers exactly what it says on the tin.

Pippa
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good book which looked at the kind of thought patterns that are more likely to make you angry, and at actions you can take to deal with angry feelings. It was quite repetitive because it used the same incidents to illustrate different points and strategies. The anger I get is mostly to do with boredom and frustration, so I did find myself, ironically, getting angry with it, and crossly skim-reading at times. I also thought the vocabulary was mostly assuming a level of education which ...more
Debbie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting read. Struggled with the exercises though. Some of them made me feel worse because I couldn’t come up with better alternatives.

I found some of the repetitive examples quite annoying too. I had to laugh at the one where the mother says ‘clear it up, there’s a good boy’

If someone said ‘there’s a good girl’ to me I’d get absolutely furious. It’s so condescending.
I’d rather be screamed at for being useless than told that. Ughhhhhhh

So, not totally cured of anger and irritability then
Vasco
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bad: nothing of note.

The good: very interesting book with concrete strategies. It's tangible, systematic and effective. Very good read.
Lauren Nesbitt
Nov 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn’t get into this book at all. It actually made my mental health worse so I decided to put it down.
J. Pablo
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a very short book and it feels very actionable. I have the impression it applies more to people that have bouts of anger than someone who has an annoying constant background level of anger.
Saffron
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit repetitive in it's use if case studies but a good starting point to make you stop and think about actions before making rash decisions.

This book will not solve all the issues that come up with anger and irritability but a good look into basic useable CBT techniques, written in a friendly easy to read format.
Kristen MacGregor
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another good self help. This one is a bit different though because it seems like most of them spend the majority of the book explaining why you need the self-help steps and only a few chapters on how to actually make the changes they suggest. But this book only spends 1/3 of the book talking about anger and irritability and why some people need to overcome certain aspects of it. The rest of the book is exercises working you through how to change yourself. I think the working model he comes up ...more
Shiraz Esat
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. I'm lying when I say I've finished this book; I have yet to work through the exercises in Part Two.
But, Part One is excellent and helpful in itself.
Judging by the state of the Internet, this is a must have reference book needed on most of our bookshelves.
Devorah
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another practical book, using a small number of incidents and a really useful chart to illustrate how anger and irritability are triggered and how they can be understood and managed for better outcomes.
Hard Knocks 101
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a quick and easy read. It's very easy to understand and sheds a lot of light on issues everyone deals with ranging from body image issues to anger management. This book would be helpful to all ages.
Awehla
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't read all the book, got it out of the library on a bit of an impulse.
Kss
Oct 24, 2019
Erin
Jan 26, 2012
Steffy
rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • Helping Your Child with Fears and Worries 2nd Edition: A self-help guide for parents
  • A History of Modern Britain
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits
  • Cute Crocheted Animals: 10 Well-Dressed Friends to Make
  • Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3)
  • Web Design with Html, Css, JavaScript and Jquery Set
  • Ang-Book: The Complete Guide to Angular 4
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • This Is Your Brain on Birth Control: The Surprising Science of Women, Hormones, and the Law of Unintended Consequences
  • The New Silk Roads: The Present and Future of the World
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • How To Be Right… in a World Gone Wrong
  • Conceptual Breakthroughs in Evolutionary Genetics: A Brief History of Shifting Paradigms
  • 5 Ingredients – Quick  Easy Food
Dr. William Davies (b. 1950) is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Academic Director of APT (The Association for Psychological Therapies). Previously, he was a Consultant Psychologist and Head of Psychology at St Andrew’s Healthcare, Northampton, a national resource for difficult to manage patients.

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques