Start by marking “Firebird (Apocalypto, #4)” as Want to Read:
Firebird (Apocalypto, #4)

Firebird

(Apocalypto #4)

The King of Garrick wants to kill her.
The King of Allel wants to love her.
And shapeshifters stole her baby's soul!

In a world where natural-born offspring are essential to the ruling dynasties, Mallory of Settlement 20 was blessed with fertility by the goddess Asherah and destined to become a pampered and protected chalice..

Born to poverty and hunger, Mal now lives in Red
Published March 14th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Firebird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firebird

Stacey
Unlike the first two novellas in this series, which leaned much more towards SF/F than Romance, Bleeder is unapologetically a Happily Ever After (or Happy For Now) romantic fiction. Still, I think it would be a mistake to classify it completely as either Paranormal Romance, or Urban Fantasy, and in truth, I probably never would have read this except for the strong science fiction and fantasy influences that were present in Space Junque and Spiderwork.

All of this makes Bleeder both wonderfully a
Reena Jacobs
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't rate books very often, but I have to say, this was a wonderful read... very thought provoking while touching on tough subjects. 4.5 - 5 out of 5 stars. Expect my review May 9, 2011 on my blog: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2011/05/n...
Julie
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bleeder is unlike any story I have ever read. It is a story of a post apocalyptic world where only a select few females have been given the gift of fertility. They are given the highest rank in the world and lavished with anything they desire. There is only one draw back. They are not allowed to fall in love. They must produce their offspring and move on to the next contract. This system works for a while but inevitably the roles of these women become more than at least one of them can bear.

I l
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yes! After having my interest piqued with Space Junque and Spiderwork, this book finally delivers on the promises those two novellas make. I was almost immediately sucked into this book, and where I found the two prequel novellas enjoyable but lacking a bit of depth, this book was just right. Rigel made me care about what happened to Mallory and Edmund, and I found myself biting my nails and rushing through to the end to find out what would happen to them. Up until the very end I was worried abo ...more
Crissy
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK OF THE SERIES!
Emme
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My word! I loved this book. I had no idea what I was getting into when I "borrowed" Space Junque and Spiderwork. I certainly wasn't prepared for Bleeder, the third installment in LK Rigel's Postapocapunk (love that name!/Apocalypto series.

Ok, if you follow my reviews, you know I don't spend any time retelling the story, but try to get right to my likes and dislikes about a work.

Let me start with what I didn't like...

I didn't like that Bleeder did not immediately follow the action of Spiderwork (
Erika
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.75/5

My previously published review on Part 1- Blue Amber (4/5): http://100starsorless.blogspot.com/20...

My thoughts on Part 2 – Chalice and Part 3 – Dragon & Phoenix

I’ve been looking forward to Bleeder ever since I picked up my copy of Space Junque some time last fall. That being said, I had a lot of expectations going into this. L.K. Rigel has succeeded for the most part in fulfilling those expectations.

Once again, the world building is magnificent. Every time I pick up a new one of thes
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bleeder is the 3rd book in the Apocalypto series. It's a deep, complex story about a girl named Mallory (Mal) who is a chalice. In this world, there are very few fertile women. If you are lucky enough to have your period, then you are considered a Bleeder and must live in Red City. Here, the girls are well cared for – these are the women that will keep the world population from dying out. Once they reach a certain age, the become a chalice and they are basically sold to the highest bidder to hav ...more
Beverly
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative, Imaginative, clever and well written! Well worth a read - be sure to check it out!!!
My thoughts:
What to say about this story...it's like nothing I have ever read before. Mallory starts her life as an orphan and becomes a bleeder, then a chalice. This is a whole new spin to surrogate mother. The chalices are trained in many things from history and religion to self defense and kama sutra. They are trained to control their emotions as well as their bodies, so in tune that they can change
Kristen
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Fantasy Romance
THEME: Magic
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
I really enjoy a book that gets be riled up and in a good way. Bleeder is definitely a book that liked to kick my emotions in gear with hating characters and situation, but loving others in the process. I talked to a good friend of mine about this book and we had an hour discussion in what we would do in the situation that Mallory the main character is put in. This truly shows
Cathy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This "postapocopunk romance" is the last of the apocopunk trilogy. This was by far my favorite - after I got into it.
It actually starts about 100 years after the action in the first two books. It was a little disconcerting at first to have all new characters (a very few survived) to get to know.
We learned more about the Red City, city of the chalices (bleeders) who are tasked with helping to repopulate the world after environmental disaster. The politics of the Concord between city-states are h
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Set several generations after the other books in the series, it focuses on Mallory. She`s a chalice from a small settlement in Garrick who captures the attention of both Garrick, the King of Garrick and Edmund, the King of Allel. Her struggles are amplified when a rumour starts that she is the lost descendent of the last Imperial Emperor. Will Mal survive to discover the truth of her past?

After the short novellas comprising the series so far, this full length book is a surprise. It is a chance t
Marlene
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mal, who lives in a rather primitive and dangerous settlement of Garrick, knows long hours of work and endless hunger. When an emissary from Red City arrives and Mal is determined to be a Bleeder, Mal's life changes, for she is to be taken to Red City and trained to become a Chalice, a woman who will carry children for royalty. On the way to Red City, the emissary and her contingent stop at Allel, to determine if another girl is, also, a Breeder. While there, Mal meets Prince Emund of Allel and ...more
Stephanie
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

First I'm gonna say this . . I am very much a "judge a book by it cover" person. I know it's wrong, I know I should change it . . but I can't. When I see a beautiful cover it makes me think what the story behind will tell.

The cover to this book is just beautiful! In fact I am loving the "firebird" and thinking that would be an awesome next tattoo.

This story picks up a little later down the line from where Space Junque and Spiderwork left off. The pages turn to reveal new twists and turns. Le
Kim
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read a book I literally couldn't put down. I read the first two Apocalypto stories by L.K. Rigel, and thought they were very inventive. I appreciated that I was finally reading something different, and good. The stories were short, and I remember thinking that there were places that could use some expansion, and maybe just a little more development.

Then Firebird came along. 800+ e-pages of pure, fantastical enjoyment. I was pulled into Mallory's story from the fi
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
L.K. Rigel has done it again! Bleeder, third in the Apocalypto series, is the best to date. So much action, sex, politics and intrigue to this one, with large helpings of rebellion. I loved this and could barely manage to put it down. While I struggled with Mal enjoying her position as a chalice so much, she did prove that she truly is only human after all. I thought the ending was well done, even if it leaves me wanting L.K. to turn out even more books in this series. I'm so glad that I picked ...more
Fallon
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, dystopian, series
After reading ‘Spiderwork’ I was actually really reluctant to continue with this series. However, where ‘Spiderwork’ was lacking “Bleeder” did not disappoint. It had better characters, a good story, and didn’t make me want to just skim the book instead of getting into it. I really liked Mal and her transformation through the story and realizing who she was and coming to terms with it and the world around her. I am very happy that I decided to stick with these series.
Jessica
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bleeder/Firebird was simply amazing! It totally captivated me. There was so much going on yet Rigel pulled it off flawlessly. I couldn't put it down, but I wanted to read it slowly because I didn't want it to end. I'm definitely going to read Rigel's other titles!!!!
Kathryn Lamar
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great finale!

Pulling all together and leaving the reader satisfied, Rigel has done it again! There are still lines that could be followed but ending here is good, too. A story line with many good branches, and a new world with good inhabitants.
Deianira Kincaid
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best one of the series.

I recommend this series. The story is full of plot twists and a surprise ending. Well done Rigel and thank you.
Stella
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bleeder is the 3rd Book in L.K. Rigel's Apocalypto series and the only full length novel, and I have to say this is the one I liked the least. In the previous books I was amazed by the unique and imaginative universe and hierarchy, societal customs L.K. Rigel had created and I was a bit disappointed because I felt that Bleeder took a step back. Don't misunderstand me, it was very engrossing and entertaining, it's just that Space Junque and Spiderwork really raised my expectations.

I am a sci-fi
Reena Jacobs
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Find my review on Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2011/05/n...

I have to say, I’m so glad Ms. Rigel decided to make this into a full length novel. Whereas the first two novellas left me wanting more information, this one was full of depth. Wonderful world building!

Before I go deeper into the review, one thing you must know about me is I’m the type of person who LOVES to HATE. Many aspects of this book riled me, but in a way which was satisfying because of the realism.
Era
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bleeder is beautiful. It’s my first time reading this kind of novel. Well I mean first time reading the kind of story. And I did not regret it.

It has two prequels, the Space Junque and Spiderwork. They were short and very fast-paced but it prepared me for Bleeder. I would not have understood the story if it wasn’t for the two prequels.

I think the story is great. Seriously, when I think about it in general, I couldn’t help but smile and kind of pity and wonder about the status of the Bleeders. We
Ravencrantz
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books, how-about-no
Ugh. Well, might as well get this review over with.

I don't think I've ever dreaded writing a review like this before. I skipped the review of the second book because I just couldn't be bothered. I was so disappointed with this series. The idea was great. I didn't even mind the romance bits. What bothered me was the random acts of sex that come out of nowhere and the time jumps that occur in the oddest places. I think my biggest issue was their super special ritual involving all of the chalices.
Nicole Trainor
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Misterg
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I probably wouldn't have read this if it hadn't been for Space Junque arriving in the free books for the Kindle. After that I was hooked!. With Bleeder it was hard to remember that this started the trilogy as a dystopian SF sequence. Now we're in to the Swords and Sorcery realm ... until the end.

A good story, with many twists and turns - and not all predictable, fortunately. However, I did find the ending a little of a let down - but I won't say why as that will ruin it. Also the content is more
Linda
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saga continues, from Space Junque and Spider Works. We find Mallory, a "Settlement trash" girl, taken to the Red City, to become a Chalice. She was chosen because Jordana thought she could be the Granddaughter of the Emperor of Earth. King Edmund falls in love with Mal, which is forbidden, and it really complicates things. The empani's play a big part in this book, and the explicit sex really takes off.

I really wanted to like these books, but I'm really not into the explicit sex, which gets
Spoiledduchess
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bleeders by LK Rigel is the third book of the Apocalypto series. This entire series is outstanding! The author wove another fantastic story. This book takes place about 100 years after the first 2 books, so most of the characters are next generation. This story explores the life and rituals of the chalices. Bleeders is longer in length, but LK is so good at story telling that it flew by like a novella. I hope LK continues to write for this world. Apocalypto 4 please.
Tanya
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
The first two books set the stage for this third book,introducing key characters, the background, conflicts, etc. They were great themselves, but I'd wished for something more developed. This third book was it. Definitely going on my "reread" list.

Note: All 3 books do have explicit sex scenes. Not recommended for teens or children.
Dina
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is actually the final book in the series. It was a little difficult to follow, but it wasn't a bad read. It was really interesting and creative story. It kept me reading until the end. Interesting book and it was an ebook bargain, which is super too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Am I confused? 1 1 Aug 11, 2014 07:16PM
  • Voice
  • More Than Magic (Books of the Kindling, #1)
  • Weighted (The Neumarian Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Fatal Embrace
  • Werewolf Descent (The Last Witch, #2)
  • Viking Fire
  • Warrior Reborn (The Guardians of Eden, #2)
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • Bone Dust & Beginnings (Alexa's Travels, #1)
  • Daughter of Bathory
  • The Scars of Ambition (The Cumerian Unraveling, #1)
  • Vampire Apocalypse Books 1 - 3 (Vampire Apocalypse, #1-3)
  • Whirlwind
  • Dance Lessons
  • Mugging the Muse
  • Surviving Seduction (The Shattered World, #2)
  • Caedmon's Curse (The Golden Key Chronicles #3)
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
LK Rigel is the author of the Apocalypto series:
Space Junque, Spiderwork, and Firebird; and the Wyrd and Fae series: Give Me, Bride of Fae, Fever Mist, and A Glimmering Girl.

Her My Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre Retold) a retelling of the Gothic novel set in a future utopia.

Her short story Slurp is included in Deadly Treats, an anthology edited by Anne Frasier from Nodin Press. Rigel's writing has also

Apocalypto (4 books)
  • Space Junque (Apocalypto, #1)
  • Spiderwork (Apocalypto, #2)
  • Apocalypto: Omnibus (Apocalypto, #1-3)