Start by marking “The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12)

The Bride Wore Black Leather

(Nightside #12)

John Taylor is marrying the love of his life, Suzie Shooter, the Nightside’s most fearsome bounty hunter. But before he can walk down the aisle he has one more case to solve as a private eye — a case that has him on the run from friends and enemies both, with his bride-to-be looking to collect the bounty on his head...
Published January 3rd 2012 by Ace (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Wore Black Leather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Wore Black Leather

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Bride Wore Black Leather (Nightside, #12), Simon R. Green
Since his reluctant return to the the Nightside all that time ago, life has changed a great deal for private eye John Taylor; and he's now settling down in that city of eternal darkness where he once vowed never to return. He's about to be married - to Suzie Shooter, the love of his life and the Nightside's most formidable bounty hunter. And he has a new job; he's replaced Walker, the Voice of the Authorities in the Nightside. This new
Andrew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time to catch up I think...

And so ends my journey to (or in) the Nightside although I am sure it be visited again at some point (more on that later)

This is the 12th and last in the series - yes there is an anthology and the characters appear in short stories however they are either standalone or neatly slotted in to the history of this series.

Now I will admit that I read other peoples reviews just out of curiosity (and its one of the reasons why I do not do spoilers as they write far better sto
Shelly Schulz
Talk books with me, and within moments, Simon R. Green will come out of my mouth--namely his Nightside series. Part noir, part satire, part snark driven plot I fell quickly in love with the series and sometimes protagonist John Taylor. Taylor is a PI who has a 'gift'--the ability to find anything, anywhere. It's more badass than it sounds. Throughout the series he goes against all sorts of baddies, and creatures of myth and horror, all the while maintaining a snappy dialogue that would make any ...more
David Caldwell
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me sad because it is John Taylor's last case as a private investigator.But then I quit being sad when it it also was his first case as Walker.

His last case as a P.I.has him investigating the death of The King of Skin at the Immortals Ball.Who can kill an immortal in front of a roomful of witnesses and no one see anything?

His first case as walker has John teaming up with Julien Advent, the Victorian Adventurer when the ghost of the Hawk and Wind Bar disappears.Who is the mysterious
DeLace Munger
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, here's the deal. I love Simon R. Green. His stuff can start to feel a bit formulaic at times and there's a bit more repetition than I'd like (I know this book mentioned ambulances that run on distilled suffering at least twice, possibly three times. I get it. It's a creepy/intriguing/Nightside kinda thing. Let's focus on other types of vehicles now) BUT Green is absolutely incredible at pulling me into his stories and wanting to know more about almost any character he introduces. They always ...more
Tulipa
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the whole series of nightside after a year and odd. It was my birthday present and I will actually miss reading it. I read it in very strange places and this damn series is so memorable. This is Nightside full of miracles as for me who never thought reading such a thing and actually enjoy it. But behind the whole sin stuff and a dark night, there was always a huge and bright moon. And this world is something I miss because it indeed had lots of good stuff. As though it had a mask ...more
Ross Alon
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not the best urban fantasy series, but I've gotten used to the repetitive narrative.
I'm actually going to miss the night side
Jason
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
4 Stars

The Bride Wore Black Leather book 12 in the Nightside series brings to conclusion one of my all time favorite series. This is arguably the weakest book in the whole series but who cares. All of our favorite friends and enemies of the John Taylor make an appearance or a mention. John Taylor will go down as one of the greatest anti-heros ever written. I loved this series and am deeply sad to have it come to an end.

These stories are classic noir like private eye mysteries in an urban fantas
Ben Truong
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Bride Wore Black Leather is the twelfth and final book in the Nightside Series written by Simon R. Green and centered on John Taylor, the main protagonist, who is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things.

Having been appointed the new Walker by the Authorities, John Taylor decides to take one last case before marrying his sweetheart bounty hunter, Suzie Shooter. He receives an e-mail to come to the Ball of Forever, a club for immortals to gather and sneer and
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Like most of the Nightside books, this one starts off with a smaller case which then segues into another, larger case. In this book, though, the smaller case is John's last case as a PI, and the big one is his first as Walker - and it is something of a doozy.

It's also, for those who don't know, the last book in the series. At least the last staring John Taylor. It's a pretty decent entry, though not my favorite. I was kinda hoping for a bit more of a bang, but ah well.

As with many finales, we ge
JOSEPH C WINTERS
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always said the Nightside books contained a setting and supporting cast that was far more interesting and worthwhile than the protagonist, John Taylor; imagine The Dresden Files if Harry Dresden was just kind of boring compared to everything else going on. However, reading the first Secret Histories book (set in the same universe, along with the "Ghost Hunters" books which I haven't read) inspired me to finish these off... and damn! That was spot on, across the board. Well done Mr. Green, well ...more
Farhad
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Thus ends the story of animeside a.k.a nightside with the power of love (no pun intended)

opening with a side quest (short story) as usual, and ends with all hell breaking loose, (Boss Battle) again, as usual.
this is one of the good books in the series, unfortunately with a hasty weak ending which is the Achilles hill of all Green's books I read so far.

if you read all 11 volume prior to this, sure why not, go ahead and grab it. or you could just easily skip it, it's just another nightside story
Mizuki
Pre-review: What the hell? This person and that person are getting married!????

Thoughts after reading:

Nightside series is a lot of fun, it has a lot of mayhem, action, witty sense of humor and vividly written characters, the last book of the series offers us more or less the same supernatural cocktail, and I suspected the author, Simon R. Green has always been using this series to make a satire out of the old schooled hard-boiled genre, and it's more than fine with me. 3.5 stars.
Timelord Iain
I was quite satisfied with this book and the previous one... I'm glad I stuck out this series through it's rough patches and repetition...
Carol Dass
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry this series is finished, but I would read it again! So lovely to see Taylor and Suzie get married! Now on to some of Simon’s other series!
Garrett Seney
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The end is finally here! Simon Green, through ups and downs, closes the doors to the Nightside on a very positive and well written conclusion. I could not have asked for a better ending.

This series is well worth reading. It is an amazing universe and world to immerse yourself in.
Traci
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm sort of feeling a love-hate relationship with this entry in Green's Nightside series. As always, I love John Taylor and his weird and wicked world. But this time felt...somehow less. Perhaps it's due to John's new role as Walker, although I couldn't really tell much difference from "old" John to "new" John. He might be a bit more reserved in his reactions to people, a bit less violent in how he handles them, but I don't think that was it. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it...

Perhaps t
Betty
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK, So I'm still hooked on this series. Though I wanted to be listening to the Beatles through most of this book, what happens when the Nightside takes a trip back to the 60's and the Summer of Love and not just through the Hawk Wind Bar and Grill. Ok not really but there is a good number of allusions to the '60's and running around with Julian Advent (seeing some of the downfalls of his life as well).

The backdrop for this whole thing, is John and Suzie are finally getting married (this is book
Bill Rogers
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
When John Taylor, the Private Investigator with a supernatural ability to find things, decides to marry Shotgun Suzie, he goes out for one last bachelor fling on the night before. That's traditional. Having to save the World (yet again) and have all your friends trying to kill you because you're suddenly and unexpectedly a murderer is not quite so traditional. Except, perhaps, here. Business as usual in the Nightside, as they say.

This book was a lot of fun. I thought a few things ended a bit too
The Flooze
*3.5*
Warning: This book mentions spoilers for the Drood series. I was most unhappy.

The final book of the series and I find myself strangely unsatisfied. Partly because it took quite some time for the main story to start in earnest.

While many elements of the plot were engaging, it was still a helter-skelter thing. I expected better of John Taylor's send-off than yet another trumped up entity intent on possessing the Nightside. And I certainly expected better than the initial locked room murders
Richard
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really awesome instalment to the Nightside series, while its been a bit of a rocky ride through this series, this book draws on all that's best of Simon R Greens weird anti-hero filled world that is the Nightside. With friends and enemies alike after him John Taylors last case as a private eye and the run up to his wedding couldn't be more action filled. While not wanting to spoil the plot, Simon R Green gives us an insight into things that we only hoped to see earlier in the series such as ma ...more
Krista D.
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the huge disappointment of the previous book, we get to the finale. I really enjoyed it. It was one of the few times with the series that I stayed up to try finishing the book.

I was expecting a big showdown for the final book. That didn't happen, though I suppose every other book threatened the end of the Nightside; I was rather used to those stakes by now.

All of the usual suspects were in this one, though I was disappointed that a book with Suzie on the cover didn't actually have Suzie in
Erick
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book actually felt like the series was done at the beginning of the book. Although John apparently stretches his gift farther than he ever has before and he's fighting an epic god of an opponent, I just didn't feel the scale and epic power that I was expecting. It was good overall, but there was a certain punch that was lacking and left this book feeling a little more like denouement than climactic finish.
Angela Verdenius
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The ending of this wonderful series was awesome. I was starting to wonder how Taylor was ever going to get out of this huge problem, but he did! I'm going to miss the Nightside, it's a great place to be. Wonderful ending to a great series.
Rosalind M
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars. Not fun for me this time. Too much repetition, too much hyperbole, and too close to a Deus ex Machina ending.
Kathy Davie
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban, fantasy
Twelfth in the Nightside urban fantasy series set in "a business empire of sin and corruption, wonders and marvels...at very reasonable prices".

Put on your seat belt and get out your barf bag, you're entering the Nightside where
"you can find the baddest clubs and the maddest music, parties that will never end as long as someone's got cash in their pocket or credit on their cards…[where] temptation winks from every street-corner, and there's always a quiet back room where you can sell your soul.
Banshee
The day before John's wedding he is pulled from one end of Nightside to the other as he first solves a case as a PI and then later as Walker.

This novel felt very disjointed and chaotic as events didn't really fit in well together. I think Green was trying too hard with this novel as he wanted to write a finale to the series, wrap up all lose ends and give all the character a conclusion they deserve. I felt this was too lofty of an idea and it didn't pan out well.

The characters were good but I
Soo
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Mini-Review:

It was a wild ride! It wasn't a mystery so much as a roller coaster ride on "What the heck will happen next to JT?!?!".

I always felt like the "cases" were just excuses to show off the odd, macabre, deranged and absurdities of Nightside. A fun way to show off without showing too much. Green did a great job of bringing it all together into a solid ending. It feels good.

By no means do I think that all of the questions are answered or that the story is truly over for the riotous gang.
Thomas
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last book of the series as far as i know (hope there is more in the future). This was a great book to end with. Brought all the characters i like together, Razor Eddie, Dead Boy too name some and let's not forget Shotgun Suzie. There is not a book in this series where i can say its bad. They can be a bit predictable at times but so much fun. Would recommend people at least try it.
Linda
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
One of his better books I think. A bit less convoluted and scattered. Though still too much frivolous hyperbole about unrelated creatures in the Nightside. Just filler like many romance novels fill pages with lots of gratuitous sex scenes. Gets boring pretty fast.
Vampires, Weres a...: A Year in the Nightside: December 1 9 Dec 01, 2018 09:44AM

• Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Dead Waters (Simon Canderous, #4)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Mean Streets
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
“After all, you’re only an immortal until someone manages to kill you. After that, you were just long-lived.” 44 likes
“Revenge is simply justice with teeth.” 18 likes