Start by marking “Fuckness” as Want to Read:
Fuckness

Fuckness

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
This darkly offbeat novel opens with the narrator, Wallace Black, as the target of the school bully’s violence. After suffering a horrendous beating, Black goes home to his equally abusive family. As a punishment for fighting at school, his mother straps a set of grotesque horns to the top of his head. He is unsure of where the horns came from. They have always been in the ...more
Published March 13th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Fuckness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fuckness

Stephen
This REVIEW is entitled MY
Photobucket

STEVE’S TIMELINE:
So here is a brief recap of my personal timeline...

Birth thru Day 14,833: Number of books I've read with the word FUCK in the title = 0

Day 14,833 thru Day 14,845 : Number of books read with the word FUCK in the title = 2***
***Almost 3 as Rico Slade Will Fucking Kill You is on my TBR soon list).

CONCLUSIONS:

A. My reading habits have become more adventurous and less parochial of late.

B. I...have...been...alive...for almost 15,000 days...HOLY SUICIDAL BU
#UnpleasantToRead
#IGaveUp
Fabian
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very Un-PC, deviously funny stuff... slapstick in the beloved & much appreciated Beavis & Butthead method. Somehow, this reminds me of the eons-better-than-this Joyce Carol Oates classic, "Zombie" since it's basically told through the eyes of a sociopathic murderer, too. It is grotesque & quirky. Fun. Yeah, fun. Gaudy. Also reminiscent of "Mister B. Gone" by Clive Barker.

But, then again, it IS trash. This is like being entertained at the CITY DUMP. Like, seriously. Go somxewhere bet
Gregor Xane
Aug 21, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2014
Full Disclosure: I don't know the author of this book. I've never interacted with him. He didn't provide a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I bought this book on Amazon and will likely be paying interest on this purchase for the rest of my life. I've seen this book around, popping up here and there, for quite some time, and I never much cared for the title. I thought it was kind of gimmicky and really didn't have much interest in picking this up. Then a friend recommended it a ...more
Bill
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I just want to live life the way I want to live it.

The first 25% or so of this was great. Rude. Crude, Inappropriate and completely un-politically correct and super funny. Nice.

I was diggin’ it…

Then Wallace got himself a set of horns.

It never fully recovered after that for me and it was impossible to read on without thinking of Joe Hills “Horns”. Overall, I still enjoyed it, but feel it lost something after the “fuckness” of the horns.

May have been one of the rare instances where I should have r
Marvin
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Fuckness may be the most depressing book I've ever read. In some ways it is a nihilist's Pilgrim's Progress; a journey for a redemption that never existed, a coming-of-age tale in a world with no purpose. Prunty's 16 year old protagonist makes Holden Caulfield appear like an honors student. If it wasn't for Prunty's marvelous imagination and stunning ability to make the impossible seem plausible and the unspeakable poetic, this would be a difficult book to read. Yet I was entranced with it from ...more
Athena Shardbearer
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bizarro

I called my philosophy the Philosophy of Fuckness. I first developed this philosophy when I realized I was the type of person who would go to just about any lengths necessary in order to avoid trouble and misery. That is, I just wanted to live life the way I wanted to live it without any interruptions or having the answer to anyone.

I quickly realized this was impossible.

No matter how actively I avoided just about every situation, trouble seemed to find me. This trouble is what I called fucknes
Edward Lorn
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
WARNING: Language and shit.

This review is of the audiobook.

FUCKNESS is relatively devoid of fuckness. Relatively...

I listened to the first 42% of FUCKNESS, by Andersen Prunty, narrated by Jeff Bower, then switched to the ebook for one chapter. One chapter. That's all. I missed the narrator so much I went back to the audio edition. Bower does an amazing job of capturing the sarcastic tone of Prunty's novel. Had I simply read the book, I don't believe my review would have been as glowing. The book
Jason Armstrong
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The narrator of this book is like a poor man's Holden Caulfield. Maybe that sounds like a put down but it's really a compliment. Instead of some spoiled rich kid whining about his non-problems this is about a kid with problems coming at him from all sides. It was sad and sweet and creepy and violent and funny. Plus, it was very well written. Mr. Prunty was able to write about absurdities without compromising the genuine emotions of the situations or the characters. Considering I only paid a buck ...more
M.C. O'Neill
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was a drug counselor in Middletown, Ohio for three years. It's smack-dab in between Dayton and Cinci. Why do you think they call it Middletown anyway?? My clientele were of the adolescent intensive outpatient population. I almost feel I have a personal connection to this story because I believe it takes place there with these kinds of children.

Andersen knows his lay of the land. Middletown (Middleton, here) is like Mos Eisley in Ohio. A hive of scum and villainy.

Hang on before you hate on me
Dustin Reade
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
interesting. definitely odd. the main character ( a deeply troubled young man with a father named "Racecar"), is one of the most unusual antagonists in recent fiction. his outlook is bleak. his horns are...horny. he lives by a philosophy he created himself known as "Fuckness".

this book--like The Sorrow King--was decidedly bleak, dark, and offbeat. the emotion level was pretty high as well, with the character describing his horrible life through a series of flashbacks and internal monologues tha
Silke
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I have to admit that I read this book mostly because of the title. It was a quick read, but the style felt a little bit like an exercise in imitation. I cannot really pinpoint it to a particular book, but while reading I had a constant feeling of déjà vu. Reminded me a little of Irvine Welsh. That is not a particular bad thing in my opinion, but I didn't really get into it. It did get better towards the end though, which makes up for the second star. Maybe I am just to old for coming-of-age stor ...more
Jenny
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
i have a vague feeling that there is something to this, but largely i am not willing to spend a lot of time carving it, or the specific lack of it, out. there are several points, lines/events that seem to come very close to something really good and compelling, but just kind of wane away, leaving their potential to slowly melt in a pool of mild unease and disappointment somewhere in the back of your mind.

having said that, it's a decent book. it has value. i hope andersen prunty keeps writing.
Sam McCanna
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
This tale chewed through me right at gut level, with a speed like a chainsaw through a teenager.
Told from the point of view of Wallace Black, an extremely unfortunate 16 year old, it begins in dark times, suddenly changes tone JUST enough... and then ends fantastically... though still feeling as if you've definitely been abused.
Someone else called it "darkly offbeat"...
I thought it was like being kicked in the ass.
Like... right where the hole is.
And liking it.
Andersen Prunty
Mar 19, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is currenly available as a Kindle download for 99 cents:

Click HERE
Tim
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most interesting thing about this book is the synopsis. It seems like a really interesting story from the back, but in reality it's a bloody version of Catcher in the Rye, except Holden has horns. The only difference between Catcher in the Rye, and Fuckness is that Holden is slightly smarter than Wallace Black, and I thought Holden was an imbecile, so just put two and two together to figure that Wallace is borderline retarded.
If you read it; plan on a lot of inner dialogue, wandering around
Lou Schuler
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is my first exposure to Andersen Prunty, and I'm still not sure what to think of it. I think it was a story of an abused kid who takes a run through purgatory, seemingly on his way to hell (horns and all), and instead reaches heaven -- to his surprise as well as ours.

But I don't know if that's what the author actually had in mind. And I can't decide if that's brilliant ambiguity, or just weird.

The only recent book I can compare it to is Going Bovine, by Libba Bray. It's the YA story of a t
Pedro Proença
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro, indie
This was nice. Really nice.
This is one of the more "serious" bizarro-fiction books out there. It is a story about sixteen-year-old Wallace Black, and his journey to run away from the "fuckness" in the world. Like Wally himself describes:

"A man puts on a shirt and a tie five or more mornings out of the week and no one finds this absurd. It is not the man putting on the shirt and tie I would define as fuckness, it is the fact no one else finds it ridiculous."

He runs away from home, and his journey
J.W. Wargo
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming-of-age stories don't get better than this one. Sober writing and impeccable scenes of somberness combine to tell the awkward growth of Wallace Black into adulthood. Wally is the narrator and I was always questioning his reliability throughout the text, but I liked his viewpoint so much I wanted to believe him. What really brought this book to the top for me was Wallace's philosophy on life (the title of the book). In it the protagonist gives fresh, and deliciously bent, perspectives of ev ...more
11811 (Eleven)
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Five stars for the author's constant, repetitive use of the word fuckness throughout the novel... Novella... whatever all that fuckness means.

"Fuckness" was littered throughout the story and completely appropriate in every instance. Comically appropriate in most instances. I loved this story.

Highly recommended weird fiction. Not bizzaro. Just weird.
Shawn Thornton
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading this book I have realised we all suffer with a bit of fuckness. Maybe not so much as our protagonist Wallace black. This is a hard book to review so I won't however I feel a little fucked after reading it but in a good way.
Gerry Heidenreich
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Amazon recommended this one. I stuck with it hoping for any kind of payoff or resolution, but it was a waste of time. Dark and pointless and depressing.
Chris Bowsman
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best book I've ever read with "fuck" in the title.
Taylor
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor. Desolate. Devoid of meaning. The are just a few descriptions of Wallace blacks life. Fuckness ties together lower class despiration and adolescent angst into a narative reminiscent of catcher in the rye. A seething puslating read full of grimy characters, grayed vistas, and supposed magic. An outsider wish to be further removed. A must for fans of bizaro fiction. Through a haze of flashbacks and senseless beatings Prunty forges a lazer guided vision, of what I'm not sure. Fuckness will lea ...more
Kip Casto
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A teenage story

Interesting story that seems to be an allegory of what it feels like to be a teenager...a male one at that. How we often feel disconnected to the world. While the author paints this great world, in great detail I believe it is on us to figure out how to connect with life, reality, people, whatever you wan't to call it. A more proactive protagonist that inspires not just complains.
Deb O rah
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
along the lines of catcher in the rye; angst, misunderstood, revelation/revolution ...maybe?? there seems to be some brilliant underlying epiphany but either it's just not there or i didn't get it. it's usually the latter but I didn't really care enough about it to really dwell on the issue while reading so I'm not going to waste my energy doing it now.
Matthias Thorn
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Andersen Prunty's Fuckness, and I'm actually slightly reluctant to review it. It's one thing to review the work of an author whose works have seen multiple printings, or whose works have been made into movies or written up in the NYTimes, but it's quite another altogether to review a work that's not so widely known. An established author with a wide readership invites critique, maybe demands it. A less-established author, I only want to encourage and praise.

So that is act
Matthew Horan
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
David Burke
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on Audible.com. Fuckness caught my eye while I was shopping for authors and books similar to David Wong and John Dies at the End. The description sounds very similar to Joe Hill's Horns, which I haven't read, though I have seen the movie, and I can assure you that the similarities stop at the word "horns". I had never read anything by Prunty before, but I did know that he is popular in the Bizarro circles.

Fuckness starts out pretty bleak, with absurdly awful characters a
Aaron Mcquiston
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Fuckness" took me some time to read. This wasn't because it was a tough read (actually it is a very interesting and entertaining story of sixteen-year-old Wallace Black, who does not have friends, a family that cares, or much of anything to hold onto besides hope that things might be better if he can find someplace better than the current situation). This wasn't because it was poorly written (in fact for a novel so cheap ($.99 kindle download) I did not expect much from the prose but was impres ...more
  • Abortion Arcade
  • They Had Goat Heads
  • The Egg Said Nothing
  • Wall of Kiss
  • Fungus of the Heart
Andersen Prunty lives in Ohio. He writes novels and short stories. Visit him at www.andersenprunty.com.
More about Andersen Prunty...

“The only thing I could figure was most people were so fucking self-righteous they liked to destroy others’ wills so they felt like their own petty lives had some sense of purpose.” 3 likes
“You can make contact with people all day but it only seems fulfilling when it’s with someone you truly enjoy.” 2 likes