Start by marking “Beyond Birth and Death” as Want to Read:
Beyond Birth and Death

Beyond Birth and Death

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Is there life after death? Srila Prabhupada tells how the soul travels from body to body, and how we can end the cycle of birth and death by reaching Lord Sri Krishna's ultimate abode. An excerpt: "The simple process of chanting the names of Krsna will reveal what one is, what God is, what the material and spiritual universes are, why we are conditioned, how we can get out ...more
Published January 1st 1972 by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Birth and Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Birth and Death

laura
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap was this book good! It has changed my views on religion/spirituality. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada has a great way of making the Hindu beliefs understandable. When I read this book I felt at peace. I really like thinking about letting go of material possessions and trying to be closer to god to attain enlightenment. It is fascinating to think that we can travel to other worlds and reach Krishna consciousness.
Emily Rosewater
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Очевидно (насколько это может и в действительности буквально быть обозримым), что негоже Ученику спорить с Учителем, но поскольку ни автор "рецензии", ни сам исповедующий, то бишь Ачарья, не находится в соответствующем положении по отношению один к другому, добавить не мешало бы следующее:
Свами Брапхупада на странице 6ой данного издания выдвигает положение (большей мерой даже в противовес будди(й)стам, что может рассматриваться, как излишняя для Ачарьи пристрастность суждения), согласно которому
Kornelija
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not into bhakti yoga or anything yet, I'm just interested in the other way of seeing world. It's interesting to find out more information about other religion, to see the way, that many people live and actually feel happy. Knowing that, made me things look logical and worth of attention.
I don't know why and how, but when I take this book I feel a little bit confused but in same time I can feel my dirty heart which I strongly want to clean by loving someone. Then you start to feel the little
Avel Rudenko
This stellar transcendent book may change your outlook on life. Potentially, you will be taught that there is "nothing new under the Sun." Material gains are finite and we see them one moment, and the next they're gone. Really eye-opening. This commensurates that only the spiritual aspect of things is worth pursuing in life. Short read, shouldn't conflict with anything else you might have going on during your day. Well-worth it!
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very eye opening. A must read for anyone open to different views
Juliana
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: has-read
Completed this during a time when it was tough to feel connected and not isolated, even while in the mountains. This inspired motor skills and the virtue of patience to present itself fully. Additionally, for this human's memory to kick in and remember recitation skills and cross-reference the learning of world reknowned philosophers' from other ages and remember when there was a time to recite the Colonial People's Ten Commandments, so that an individual could be fitting in within the framework ...more
Thejas
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Are you happy in life?!! Why do you pursue something so hard and when you finally get it, you don't feel as happy as you hoped?!! Why do we all know that we are going to die someday but live like we never will?!! I have been told that life's like that. But is it really? Why are we born? Why do we die? What happens between death and birth? This quick-read book summarizes the Bhagavad Gita and answers these questions. A fantastic primer to the deep Sanathana Dharma philosophy.
Lily Bloom
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift after photographing a gentleman on the streets of Canterbury. It takes little time to read but it will move you quite a bit. I highly recommend reading it.
Pranesh Krishnamurthy
Indeed an eye opener.

The book gives us a feeling of calmness for the reason that we need not know Sanskrit to offer our prayings to the Almighty God. Also elaborates the need of chanting the God's name.

I liked the part which says we need to purify our soul by chanting hare Krishna mahamantra to abode supreme spiritual world but not wish for it.
Meghan Yardas
Dave Harrison
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prabhupada-books
It is good to know, what is there beyond this sky, and what all places in this universe or any universe we can visit and for how much time.

Till now, there is no doubt left that Sri Dham Goloka Vrndavana is the super excellent abode above everything else, and it becomes easily available to one who remembers Krsna during death.

But one who is in love with Krsna, does not want even this abode, for him everywhere is Vaikuntha or Vrndavana, and he just wants to be a personal slave to Krsna under all
Annie Frame
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book for those who yearn to look beyond the blinkers of society. I enjoyed it and will read again. Did repeat a bit in places, but not enough to bother me, because the concept was well worth reading. A breeze to know that it is actually intelligence that makes us seek pastures new, when out of the comfort zone of others. A one for the billowing mind that cannot find satisfaction in 'You are this/You are that' world.
Astha Khare
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Definitely gives you a way of thinking! Understanding birth and death could not have been simpler. The way Swamiji explains everything, with such universally accepted and understood examples, simple logics and palpable secularity is formidable! I love the fact that religion has absolutely no role to play despite "Krsna" being the center of the book! And also that, has been explained by him! It was so great that for the first time, I was tempted to write a review!
Monavalley
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm quite interested in Bhakti Yoga and I have been a devotee for more than 1year in this life. The small booklet I read was given by a monk at a Philosophy class in Sydney Krishna Temple.

The book is very eye opening and helps readers to link the world and ourselves. However, it is only a tip of iceberg with much more hidden truth behind. I strongly recommend those interested to know more about Bhakti yoga to read Bhagavad Gita that explains Easten philosophy in further details.
Yelhsa
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Had to read it for class & I didn't like it.
Rakshita Roat
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
dis book clear concepts about body and souls , perfect explanation about karma , processes to gain knowledge and thanx to shril prabhupada for providing knowledge to us ...
Eden
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Interesting book about life and death and how we are more than just a physical body.
Vijay Dhameliya
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prabhupada
The book explains its title in great detail with scientific evidences and logical reasoning.
Courtney Reese
Jul 04, 2012
Kamakovich
Nov 21, 2016
Carlos Vásquez
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2015
  • The Eternal Now
  • Sri Aurobindo, Or The Adventure Of Consciousness
  • The Mystical Poems of Rumi 1: First Selection, Poems 1-200
  • Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus
  • Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on the Bhagavad-Gita: A Translation and Commentary, Chapters 1-6
  • Collected Essays and Poems
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • The "Unknown" Reality, Vol. 1: A Seth Book
  • The Religions of Man
  • Wine of the Mystic: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: A Spiritual Interpretation
  • Power, Freedom, and Grace: Living from the Source of Lasting Happiness
  • Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
His Divine Grace Abhay Charanaravinda Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (अभय चरणारविनद भकतिवेदानत सवामी परभुपाद)was born as Abhay Charan De on 1 September 1896 in Calcutta, India.

He first met his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, in Calcutta in 1922. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, a prominent devotional scholar and the founder of sixty-four branches of Gaudiya Mathas (Vedic inst
More about A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda
“Living in the bodily conception, our idea of happiness is like that of a man in delirium.” 0 likes