Start by marking “Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)” as Want to Read:
Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)

Rise of Empire

(The Riyria Revelations #3-4)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  38,332 ratings  ·  1,624 reviews
A PUPPET IS CROWNED. THE TRUE HEIR REMAINS HIDDEN. A ROGUE'S SECRET COULD CHANGE EVERYTHING.

War has come to Melengar and once more Royce and Hadrian are hired to make a desperate gamble and form an alliance with the Nationalists whom are fighting the Imperialists in the south. As the power of the Nyphron Empire grows, so does Royce's suspicion that the wizard Esrahaddon is
Published December 14th 2011 by Orbit (first published April 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of Empire, please sign up.
Jamie I started this series about a month ago and I haven't been able to put them down! Royce and Hadrian are epic!! I'm almost finished with Rise and will…moreI started this series about a month ago and I haven't been able to put them down! Royce and Hadrian are epic!! I'm almost finished with Rise and will actually be picking up Heir tonight on my way home from the library. Thank God my local library had all 3 books on hand. Sullivan has become one of my favorite authors and it all started with Age of Myth. I only wish I would have found these books sooner!(less)
Michael At the end of this book he is still locked up. That's the last we saw of him and our POV party moves on, leaving him behind. His ultimate fate is…moreAt the end of this book he is still locked up. That's the last we saw of him and our POV party moves on, leaving him behind. His ultimate fate is covered in Heir of Novron so I won't go into details about that so as to avoid a spoiler.(less)
The Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonWords of Radiance by Brandon SandersonThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. MartinPrince of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence
Best Fantasy of the 2010s
1,263 books — 1,584 voters
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
608 books — 1,260 voters

More lists with this book...

·  38,332 ratings  ·  1,624 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I grow to love Royce & Hadrian more and more as I read the books. These two characters are just so wonderful and I feel they fit together nicely as best friends and family. ♥

Even when one is mad with the other they just get it done and get over it. =)

"You ready?" Royce asked.
"For what?"
"Turn around. Let's go back-to-back and link arms."
"You're kidding. We aren't going to do that again, are we?"
Hadrian said miserably. "I've been sitting in cold water for hours. I'll cramp."

"You know another
Katerina
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fae, favorites
Brilliant.
Brilliant plotline. Brilliant pace. Brilliant characters. Brilliant world-building. Brilliant plot twists.
Brilliant everything.
All hail Master Sullivan!
“There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us.”

The New Empire is rising. The Church uses a half-mad fake empress to unite the Realms of Men in the name of Novron. War is raging between the imperial armies and Melengar, the only Avryn kingdom that still resists, while the Nati
Petrik
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
It’s safe to say now that with each installment, each book in the series certainly gets better in its quality consistently. The 2nd omnibus in Riyria Revelations titled Rise of Empire consists of book 3, Nyphron Rising and book 4, The Emerald Storm and it's a superior omnibus by far compared to the previous omnibus, Theft of Swords. Like my Theft of Swords review, I’ll start my review after showing you another beautiful book cover done right by Marc Simonetti and a beautiful fanart of a scene in ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-read with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles 7/12/19

2nd read and the book holds up mostly. The 3rd book is more of a political maneuvering plot line and while the set up is great I missed some of the action of the other books. The 4th book though is a swashbuckling adventure and the boys are back at everything they do best. I might drop this half a star to 4.5 stars, but overall great even on a second read.

Original Review:

Buddies Books & Baubles Buddy read 4/18/16.......the Royce
☽Luna☾
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

I really enjoyed reading Rise of Empire, I definitely enjoyed it more then Theft of Swords. This book certainly picked up the pace from book one, seriously interesting things actually happened in this book. The plot was fast paced and stimulating. I believe there was a fair bit of badassery going on. I didn't even notice the weird emotionless POV much this time, like yeah it was obviously still there, description
but it's more bearable because I've finally warmed up to the characters.

This still
Alex
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus volume of the Riyria Revelations, which consists of book three, Nyphron Rising, and book four, The Emerald Storm. Again, Hadrian and Royce set off on another job, which leads to a downward spiral of events. Old and new enemies are greedily lurking in the shadows, and the Imperial Army is gaining more influence with Queen Modina on the throne. One thing leads to another for our two heroes, and I bet they both wish to retire now. Hopefully, everything works out ...more
Adina
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5*

The 2nd volume from The Riyria Revelations is better written, has better world building, the dialogue between Royce and Hadrian is still fun. The plot got a bit static in the middle but I still enjoyed reading most of it. This series is easy and fun ,nothing too artistic but it warms you up inside in its best moments. It has a few flaws but all in all I can't wait to read the follow up.

I particularly enjoyed the way Arista character developed, she makes less mistakes than in the first part
Mayim de Vries
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
“What do we do?”
“What we always do,” Royce replied, “only better.”

This is an omnibus edition which means that it contains two books, Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm. Two books in a dense series mean a whole lot of action, plot-twists, turning points and (un)expected developments. As this is essentially a story-driven tale, there is no point in even trying to give you a teaser what awaits or the essence of what is coming as it would only result in spoilers.

There are two basic ways in which
Solseit
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-on-shelf
And I know I keep updating this thread today - but I felt inspired and I also made a much longer review of the series!
Please let me know your thoughts - and please feel free to suggest any improvements to the review style/blog/any other element!

- - -
I am so impressed by this story - two great thieves facing a scary (because extremely clever) foe.

As you might know, this edition of the book contains two "books" of the story, hence two different plots albei
edge of bubble
First book felt like a very long build up. Altough I enjoyed learning about the pasts of Hadrian and Royce immensely and wanted more of it, I've felt impatient time to time. I love to hate having opposing feelings*let the mud wrestling begin*. And vice versa. I adore the term vice versa. it has this making sense while not making sense thing going on with it's meaning and the actual sounding of it. sneaky

Alric still seems to be an annoying twat but Arista has come a long way. Actually, if you thi
Orient
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it

Great books read: 1
Hours spent cheering for the goodies:2462621
Hours spent cheering for the baddies:2462621
Monster count: a few adorable goblins.
Temples for Hadrian: O (I know, I know, I must be out of my mind :D)

“Rise of Empire” contains two books, “Nyphron Rising” and “The Emerald Storm”
I read “Theft of Swords” recently, and now after the second installment finished, I can admit for sure that this read was way more better for me than the first one. I had a slight drag problem starting “Nyphr
Esme
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the first book a lot, but this book is just phenomenal. I loved the war, the battle scenes were immerssive. I really loved Hadrian in the first book, but it was Arista that blew my mind this book. I saw someone say something about Sullivan being "naively sexist" and I can not disagree hard enough, I love the way he's written Arista. Learning about Hadrians back story was nuts, I'm just getting more attached to this odd couple friendship. I tend to gravitate towards strong friendships wit ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[3.5 stars] I liked it better than the first book, for sure. There were some elements that really grabbed my attention and kept me interested through both books (3 & 4). 3 is my favorite installment to date, but I'm eagerly waiting to have my socks knocked off in the final volume. :)
Liam Degnan
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us."

Four Stars:✰✰✰✰

What everybody kept telling me about these books was so completely right, and I couldn't be happier, because I absolutely loved this second volume of Riyria Revelations. They should make a "Most Improved" award for writers if only so Michael Sullivan could win the award, because where the first volume left me completely unimpressed, this book turned me into a fully commit
Conor
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Rise of Empire was a really enjoyable compilation of Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm, books 3 and 4 in the Riyria series. After a slow start in book 1 this series has really picked up, featuring two likeable protagonists whose characters and backstories were really fleshed out here, a great cast of supporting characters and lots of exciting adventures. This omnibus continues the trend started in book 2 in developing the depth and scope of what was initially a light-hearted fantasy
Evgeny
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Strictly speaking, I would give the first and the second books 4 1/2 stars; as it is I gave the first book 5 stars, leaving the second with 4. This is much darker book, but still a very enjoyable read. A minor annoyance: there are less interactions between Hadrian and Royce (they are forced to work separately most of the time) which made first book great.

Having said that, I still think the book is great, and it makes you want to read the last two novels of the series. If you read and like the f
Jody
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another stellar installment in the Riyria Revelations series. I loved every chapter of this book, or should I say both books, as this is a combination of books 3 and 4. Anyway, the way Michael J. Sullivan writes just sucks you right into the world. Forget your surroundings, because you will lose all sense of reality. His descriptions of people, places, and things makes you feel like you are right there with Royce and Hadrian in the middle of the action.

Book 3, Nyphron Rising, has the dynamic du
Bradley
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-shelf
This is an omnibus of books 3 and 4 in the series. The third follows well on the heels of the big battles and what amounts to a civil war with the installment of a puppet on the throne, with our favorite thieves getting caught up in the travail, with the search for the rightful heir on the way in the fourth book, with plenty of hijinks on the high seas to keep things interesting.

What did I think about them?

They're pretty okay. Granted, I've read a lot of fantasy and a lot of great characters who
Celeste
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Full review now posted!
Original review can be found at Booknest.

What a way to end the year!

Theft of Swords was the first book I started in 2017. Between all of the new books and authors I stumbled across and became obsessed with, the rest of Riyria somehow got lost in the mix. But I’m so happy to be ending my reading year on such a high note; the wait feels worth it.

I loved Theft of Swords because it was fun and engaging and harkened back to some of the foundations of the fantasy genre. I loved
TS Chan
Apr 2016: Reread with the fabulous Buddies Books & Baubles

-------------------------------------
25 Dec 2015 (audio): Finished reread of Rise of Empire and no surprises here - another upgrade to 5-stars and onto my favourites shelf. Interspersing this reread with the latest prequel, The Death of Dulgath, highlights how well Michael developed the personalities of Hadrian and Royce at the onset of Riyria and after 12 years of friendship/partnership.

-------------------------------------
May 2015
Deborah Obida
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult
"Living has no value—it’s what you do with life that gives it worth.”

This book is as good as the first book. Just like the first book this book is also an omnibus of the third and fourth book (Nyphron Rising and Emerald Storm) of the Riyria Revelations.

This book has lots of actions, more magic than the first one. Amazing female characters and plot. I love the depictions of the fight scenes. A little information was given on Hadrian which contributed a lot to the plot.

“There are no honorable c
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Update: April 2016 read

Sometimes you worry that a series you remember as fantasy perfection on your first read will not live up to the memory of it in your mind.

With Riyria you would be correct. It is better than what you remember.

Insert elvish word for five here stars.

Original review
Really like this series. No-nonsense, fun fantasy with great characters. As soon as you're done with this one, you will want to read the next. And that's exactly what I am going to do right now.
Stefan Bach
In February last year I finished The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan, second book in The Wheel of Time series, determined I will never again pick up anything by this author to read. I acknowledged that it was most imaginative worldbuilding and most detailed magic system, with sufficiently good enough prose, but there were these bits and pieces in his writing that were so irritating I couldn’t stand a second anymore reading those books.

Of course six months later I picked it up again. And honest
Armina
Buddy read with Desinka and Gavin

4 STARS

Just like the first book, Theft of Swords, Rise of Empire is two novels in one: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm. Where the first two novels of the first Omnibus could survive as stand alone stories, tied together with similar backdroppings and continuing elements, Rise of Empire has moved deep into the connecting plot.

In Nyphron Rising , the newly formed Empire, which the Nyphron Church is running in all but name, would like to annex Melengar
Terence
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nyphron Rising

With a newly declared heir, the Nyphron Empire looks to gain control over everyone. Melengar stands alone against the growing colossus and Princess Arista has a desperate plan. She defies her brother, hires Riyria, and plans on forging an alliance with the Nationalist Army. Meanwhile Royce debates telling Hadrian about what Esrahaddon showed him in the tower of Avempartha. Royce doesn't trust the Wizard and first intends on learning the truth to the claims by investigating Hadria
Gavin
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an omnibus containing both Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm.

Nyphron Rising

This was a fast paced and exciting read. Royce and Hadrian were at their witty best as they accompanied Arista on a diplomatic mission to seek allies against the Imperialists.

I felt Arista really grew and developed into a strong character over the course of this story.

We had a new POV character in the form Amelia. She was the companion of the new Empress Modina. Her storyline was pretty interesting.

Rating
Nels
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Wow!!!! There are no words to express my feelings right now!

The book is absolutely a must read!!!!

I will definitely read it again. Please do yourself a favor and read it (the whole series)!!!
Haïfa
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I accidentally deleted my GR review!! 😱😱😱 Thank God I had a backup somewhere!

You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Beware this review contains one spoiler from Theft of Swords.

Rise of Empire was definitely the turning point for me, where I finally saw all the potential of the series and so I knew from the first chapters that this would be a favorite series after all.

Just like Theft of Swords, Rise of Empire includes two books: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm. So, again, this r
seak
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus of The Riyria Revelations, containing books three and four, Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm, in the six book series.

These two books step things up to a new level and I'm excited to see how this will all end. I still can't believe these were independently published and then republished by such as Orbit. They are definitely deserving.

Nyphron Rising

At the end of Avempartha, the Nyphronian church decided that the "heir," and therefore emperor (or empress as
Allison
Edit 11/13/2012:

I'm finally getting back to do a proper review!

I have to say, this installment is far more epic than the first book of the series, and therefore also a little heavier. Although I really enjoyed the light feel of The Crown Conspiracy, I am glad that it's broadening into something deeper. This series is really taking me by surprise and fast becoming a favorite.

Although the epic-ness does make it heavier, I still really don't feel that this series is too depressing, at least so far

• The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • Blood of Innocents (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #2)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • The Crimson Vault (Traveler's Gate, #2)
Did you miss the Age of Death Kickstarter? No worries, there is a manual way we can add you to the project, so you can still join in the fun. Just fill out his form, and we'll get you setup!

The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) is officially released. Next up, Age of Death, with a Kickstarter starting in August!

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6)
“Have you ever been in love, Hadrian?”
“I’m not sure. How do you tell?”
“Love? Why, it’s like coming home.”
Hadrian considered the comment.
“What are you thinking?” Bulard asked.
Hadrian shook his head. “Nothing.”
“Yes, you were. What? You can tell me. I’m an excellent repository for secrets. I’ll likely forget, but if I don’t, well, I’m an old man in a remote
jungle. I’m sure to die before I can repeat anything.”
Hadrian smiled, then shrugged. “I was just thinking about the rain.”
44 likes
“That’s why you shouldn’t make vows. The moment you do, fate starts conspiring to shove them down your throat.” 34 likes