Start by marking “Franklin Rides A Bike” as Want to Read:
Franklin Rides A Bike

Franklin Rides A Bike

(Franklin the Turtle)

At the beginning of spring, Franklin and all his friends have training wheels on their bikes. But soon Franklin is the only one who can't ride without them. Every time he tries he falls down, and he's beginning to get discouraged. His mom finally convinces him to keep with it, and Franklin finally rides on his own.
Published March 1st 1997 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin Rides A Bike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin Rides A Bike

Dolly
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
This is an entertaining and helpful story in the Franklin the Turtle series by Paulette Bourgeois. I'm not sure why we never really got into this series (after all, we love turtles!) Now our girls are getting a bit old for stories like this, so I'm not sure how many more we'll read.

I found this book available in an ebook version through our local library and I decided that I would read it, even if our girls weren't interested. Our girls were willing to let me read it to them, and even though it'
Jen
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Franklin Rides a Bike features the friendly Franklin in a new adventure. This time all his friends have already taken their training wheels off, and Franklin wants to join them. He is, however, still Franklin, and as envious he is of his friends, he is too apprehensive to work on it and wants to be able to do it automatically without practice.

This is probably the Franklin book I like the most just for the sentiment. I like the message that you need to put effort in to get results, and that peopl
Russell
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Overcome by shame, Franklin ultimately seizes his life back from his crippling fears by wearing protective gear. Think about that for a second. A turtle puts on protective gear to get over his apprehension about riding a bike. Franklin is living protective gear!

Nice bits about beavers failing at monkey bars, badgers not being decent swimmers, foxes being pinch hitters, and porcupines rollerblading. These obvious metaphors for subcultures in Western society are hilarious yet insightful.
Greta is Erikasbuddy
This is a great book about self-esteem.

Learning to ride a bike without training wheels can be frustrating when all your friends learn before you. But with practice it can be achieved! But how do you build up the confidence?

That's what Franklin had to learn for himself.

While all his friends found riding their bikes super easy, there were things they struggled to learn, but in time achieved.

A super cute book if your little one is having trouble with something that needs practice.
Caitlin Olson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
I liked this book a lot. I think it is geared towards first or second grade. This book can be used to teach sequence of stories. It can also be used to teach perseverance and practice. This book has many lessons within in that can be helpful.
Bianca Orellana
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
Teaches a great lesson. We love Franklin!
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This book hit home for us because we have one at our house who has decided to give up on riding a two-wheeler without those training wheels. Hopefully now he will be motivated to try again!
Angieleigh
I have been a fan of Franklin since the 90s when my sons were growing up. Now my nephew is obsessed with Franklin and I couldn't be any happier!

I love the message that this book has, and that it's easy for my nephew (or any young reader) to understand that while giving up (Franklin gives up learning to ride his bike without training wheels) after he falls the first time) seems like a good choice, it's not always the right choice if you want to join in with your friends (they could all ride thei
Kylie Matusiewicz
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Franklin is the only one out of his friends who cant ride a bike without training wheels, this has him discouraged to eve ride his bike. He falls down way too many times for his liking and doesn't want his friends to know. After a talk with his mom, he finally is able to ride without his training wheels.
Madeleine Voss
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children in elementary school
Shelves: eng261
I remember rereading this book as an adult and when a child it was one of my favorites. I would recommend this book to children in elementary school who are in the first or second grade.
Taylor Troncin
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley really liked this story. He doesn't know it, but he's getting a bike for his birthday! (We might have to read this story again when he gets it!)
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
In the Spring, all of Franklin's friends are riding bikes with their training wheels on. Soon, though, they are all learning to ride on their own except Franklin and he's embarrassed to ride with his friends because he still needs them. Good lesson on how children develop differently and some take longer to learn some things than others.
Tam
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the perfect book to read to my 5-year-old who is ready to stop using his training wheels but is still afraid. When Franklin fell after taking off his training wheels, he was ready to quit riding his bike entirely but his mother encouraged him. Even though he struggled, he never gave up.
Micah
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Cute
Yates Marie
This book is about a turtle named Franklin. In this book he learns how to ride a two wheeled bike. This is good to read for students who are learning this skill.
Dan
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: franklin
1 copy
Melanie
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with children
Shelves: children-s-books
We love Franklin books!!!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
learning a new skill is hard, a good early reader

Sharon
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20-times, books-i-own, dan, tom
Just in time for Danny to remove his training wheels. We read this one several times during the week before the big experiment, and he sailed through his rite of passage.
Yvonne
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Try, try, and try again. What a great book to show that not everything is easy and sometimes you have to do things more than once.
Idol Fera
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
mmm
Danny
May 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Not sure where this one came from. I'm not a big fan of Franklin, so it doesn't get much play.
Rachelolivia
Felicia Dawn
Jul 25, 2014
SometimesIWonder
Jan 16, 2013
  • Arthur's Family Vacation (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • On Noah's Ark
  • A Second Is a Hiccup: A Child's Book of Time
  • Z Is For Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet
  • Mr. Zinger's Hat
  • Poppleton Forever (Poppleton)
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • Pirates Vs. Ninja (LEGO Ninjago Reader #6)
  • Flying High (DC Super Friends)
  • The Knight and the Dragon
  • Show and Tell
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • The Lion and the Little Red Bird
  • Stella, Fairy of the Forest
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • When I Was Eight
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal ...more

Franklin the Turtle (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Franklin In The Dark