Start by marking “Bare Your Soul: The Thinking Girl's Guide to Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
Bare Your Soul: The Thinking Girl's Guide to Enlightenment

Bare Your Soul: The Thinking Girl's Guide to Enlightenment

Whether raised within a specific belief system or warned against all things religious, young women today have been left with questions that dating guides and pop feminist theory cannot answer. This collection answers the call—a handbook for the soul that offers the wisdom and validation of how a variety of women negotiate an empowering spiritual existence in a pop-culture ...more
Published November 4th 2002 by Seal Press (first published October 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bare Your Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bare Your Soul

Start your review of Bare Your Soul: The Thinking Girl's Guide to Enlightenment
Shante
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Omg, was this a delightful read!

I am a 20-something, filthy mouthed, sexually liberated, 'spiritual' (yet vehemently non-religious), copper skinned (mostly in the summer, lol), pro-choice, militant, feminist. My spiritual journey has landed me in church (although, you will not catch me there any time soon), fasting most summers, and for the last 5 years of my life prayer and meditation twice a day at the same time. While I am deeply spiritual, feeling connected to humanity through God, I yearn
Sam Grace
I love this book. It's one that I turn to for comfort and to feel good about the world and confident about my own ability to make my way in it. A collection of autobiographical essays by women from a variety of backgrounds (ethnic, socio-economic, religious) about coming to terms with what is spiritually right for them. There is no proselytizing, but the message in this thing is as clear as its title.
Kelly
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't really see this book as a "Guide", as this is a collection of women's individual spiritual jouneys. I really liked the pluralistic view of this book -- all religions and beliefs -- or lack thereof -- was acceptable. Overall, I didn't really relate to any of the stories told until two of the last three, so I'm glad I stuck it out. It was an interesting read, but there's better uses of time.
Erica
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
A fantasic collection of essays written by young women representing a wide range of beliefs, faiths, what have you. Some of the essays, of course, are better than others, but they all are very heartfelt and really speak to the struggles and experiences of the women who wrote them, as well as the women who read them, I would imagine.
Ariel
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Essays regarding individualized perspectives of almost every generalized type of religion or spirituality. It was a very interesting read, and I really enjoyed the focus on the choice inherent to living in any type of spirituality, rather than endorsing any singular idea.
Huxley Anne
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
amazing. really inspiring, calming and offered many new perspectives.
Jenny D.
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the bulk of the essays, great read for someone exploring their own personal faith. Or lack thereof.
Kara Maia Spencer
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Personal essays by diverse women about our individual journey with spirit. I'm excited to have an essay included in this book!
Heather