Start by marking “Death by Facebook” as Want to Read:
Death by Facebook

Death by Facebook

A vacationing soldier in Hawaii...
Earth's most active volcano, anxious to repeat itself...
Two murders involving love, madness, friendship, hippies, tsunamis, and the great hereafter...

DEATH BY FACEBOOK by Everett Peacock
Be careful what you say online

(republished January 13, 2012)
Published March 4th 2011 by Createspace (first published February 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Facebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Facebook

Amy
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a book that I won from a Goodreads giveaway. I had tried to win it a few times, actually, because the premise really interested me. What better subject is there than Facebook to entice today's reader?

That said, I'm not even sure where to begin. There were so many different tales woven into one here, and unfortunately, I don't mean that in a good way.

At first, it appeared to be a story about a girlfriend murdering her significant other. Then it became about incest (EW - thank you, NO). F
Marilyn Groves
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book ($4.99 for Kindle) is impossible to classify. Yes, a bit of facebook (and correct even!) A bit of murder (one of the main characters is dead by the second page & still narrates). More than a bit of new ageism. A bit of love and a bit of hate. A lot of Hawaii. Very very different... and if you hang in there during this unusual book until about 2/3 of the way through you are treated with an exciting, tense extremely well written part of folks dealing with a natural disaster.

Very dif
Fred
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
I'm required by the terms and conditions of the Goodreads book giveaway in which I won this novel to state in the review that that is how I acquired my copy of this book.

This want a bad book at all. I read it in 24 hours if that tells you anything. Very islandish. Maybe a little too new age for me, but then again I don't run on island time myself so i'm biased there.

This book is in fact less about Facebook than you would think from the cover and the title. More about . . . I don't know . . . th
Jeni
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me. Not in a particularly good or bad way, just in a surprising way.

As other reviewers have already mentioned, this book just came off as weird for the most part. I'm probably not going to cover any new ground here. The premise for the book was interesting - based on the title it looked to me like something along the lines of "you can't trust everyone you meet on the internet." The book description threw that away before you even open the book, but doesn't really do the true
Wendy
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Based on the title, Death by Facebook, I envisioned something about...well, death by Facebook. Someone wasting away, starving to death, because they couldn't get off Facebook, or maybe a Facebook killer. Facebook is mentioned in the first few pages...and then never again. Death by Facebook is a very poorly chosen title for this book, and made me, as a reader, feel like I'd been misled.

As far as the story itself, I found it rather choppy. Numerous characters that all seemed to be unrelated, as t
Lenore Kosinski
This was just not for me. Wasn't into the whole "magical realism" thing....way too many loosely connected storylines that weren't all resolved. Kept meeting new characters, but didn't end up really caring about any of them. Thought it was going to be more of a mystery, but wasn't a mystery at all. It definitely did get better as it went along, but not enough for me to recommend it. :(
Bettie☯
Mar 28, 2011 marked it as noway-josé
This needs a fish slap
Tomos Bowen
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
weird at first but gets better.. glad i only bought it cheap otherwise i would have been disappointed
La Toya
Not my favorite but it was interesting enough.
Michelle
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am not really a fan of Facebook. Well actually, I am not a fan of the typical people who use Facebook. Fife has more meaning than to waste it on a single social network (use more than one for crying out loud!) So when I saw the title of the book I had to read it and could hardly wait to get it on my Kindle. (Free of course, because I'm cheap)
Ha! I said to myself. I knew you could die from Facebook. What people post is drivel. Really!? I do not care which store you are currently in or how lon
Valentina
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it

This is an unusual book. Not really what I was expecting, but not in a disappointing fashion, quite the opposite.
I was expecting a crime novel, fast paced but rather shallow, not at all what I was given in these pages. The beginning is intriguing, with a sense of lurking darkness amid its seemingly light banter. As the story progresses , the gloom grows along with the impending danger posed by a suddenly active volcano.
That’s another unusual aspect of this novel, the atmosphere. It takes place
Hannah
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
PROS:
1. Very visual sort of book.
2. Surprising, on two counts. One is that you expect it to be plot-thin, and that's certainly not the case. Two, the twists are nicely done.
3. It's set in Hawaii (with a volcano!).
4. Its messages weren't forced.
5. Well paced.
6. One you can pass around, as I did. Since my sister is a Facebook fanatic, I borrowed it out to her. She loved it.

CONS:
1. The dialogue sometimes got cliche and unrealistic.
2. The narrative jumping was odd.
3. I expected more depth on Jimmy'
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was not what I expected. There was too many plot lines and sometimes it was hard to follow. It was an interesting and unique story. But overall I was not impressed with this book. My biggest issue with this book was the characters. There are too many characters and you don't get a chance to connect with most of them. There are just too many other characters in this book it's hard to keep track of them all.
Drew
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
The same as 'Death By Volcano'

I love many of Mr. Peacock’s work but this one just wasn’t the same. I was hoping for a fun adventure on the Big Island but it didn’t deliver. Most of the fun characters are fun and entertaining, but the main character, Janet, and her plight just left a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn’t overcome, and because her actions are the starting point for the whole book it’s too hard to overlook it.
Jane
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a free kindle book and for some reason, despite having a reading list as long as my arm, I decided to read it. Set in Hawaii the book follows a couple of interwoven stories all surrounding the eruption of a volcano. It is easy reading and some of the characters are likeable whilst others feel somewhat flat. It was free. It passed some hours. Not a classic, nor worth hunting out.
Roxanne
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a light, breezy and enjoyable read. The story was odd and became more odd as I went on. But the unusual plot only pleased me more.

A couple social taboos are mixed into the story that give it an uncomfortable feeling. Which doesn't make the story terrible but keeps things interesting.
Dana
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
The facebook hook was great and had tremendous potential. However, the author just kept adding "hooks", new age, natural disasters, family disfunction.
Katrina
Jan 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
It started out promising but I was disappointed the author never explained what the heck crazy woman was thinking or feeling or what her plan was.
Sheila
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that I won here on Goodreads from the author and I really liked it. It was a beautiful blend of nature and human nature. Thanks Everett.
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Terrible
Kat
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Tracy Tibbels
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't read the synopsis of this book before actually reading the book--I wish I would have. I expected something altogether different.

Even so, I was determined to read the whole thing.... but I wanted to give up a number of times. It wasn't so much the plot-line of the story that made me want to quit. It was the choppy nature of the book. I'm not opposed to stories going back and forth between characters; I just feel like the flow of this particular story was choppy. I had a hard time staying
Bert
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is an oddball novel. A soldier awaits redeployment to Afghanistan, his future bride waits with him in Hawaii. He was adopted, so was she, eventually he learns they're actually siblings. Not disclosing that discovery causes her to kill him in a rage, pushing him into an active volcano pit. Then she decompensates, trying to wash away guilt with alcohol, eventually assuming his identity. Meanwhile experts detect movement in the volcano, it prepares to erupt again. The dead soldier reappears as ...more
Therese
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2013-reads
$0.0

Pfc. James Madison Turner is on leave from the Army and spending this time with his girlfriend, soon-to-be wife, Janet on the big Island of Hawaii Jimmy Turner tells this story from a unique POV that he is only sorry his mother had to find out via Facebook. You see, Jimmy is dead.

Jimmy finally finds the light and the reason why he stayed around even though he was no longer alive. POV changes while the remaining people on the island deal with a volcanic eruption, earthquakes, and tsunamis.

Fa
Margaret Gaudio
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
**I received this book as a goodreads giveaway (probably 2 years ago :/ oops)

I liked that this book was a fast read. It wasn't what I had expected from the name, but in a good way. The story has a fast pace, but is interesting enough to keep you turning pages. I finished this book in 3 days, but if I had more time to read during the day, I probably would've finished it sooner.

My only complaint with it would be that occasionally the writing was a little sloppy, so you weren't exactly sure of what
Freya
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
You can read the full review here on my blog - Book Review: Death by Facebook by Everett Peacock

The book got me thinking about Facebook and just how powerful it could be both to do good and evil. Just how far reaching its messages are and its impact on people.

It also questioned good and evil. Janet starts her journey through the book as an evil person who murders her fiancé but as I went along with the story getting to know her better, I started to question if it was she who was evil or her situ
Iain
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not really my kind of thing. I was sold on the title, thinking it would be quite geeky but facebook itself gets a couple of mentions in the story.

There are a few plot strands and a decent cast of characters, but I think the story was trying to appeal to too many audiences at once. Chick-lit, crime, spiritual, thriller... Just too much for one story. The spiritual stuff in particular I found a bit overly mawkish in places and that kind of stuff really isn't my cup of tea in the first place.

Withou
Amanda
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Do not be mislead by the title like I was. There is a death and there are Facebook references but that, my friends is about it! Never the twain shall meet.

The book was okay, I struggled reading it but I didn't want to give up on it. The plot was well conceived and I did guess what was going to happen. It was frightening in places because it really did seem real and I thought hard about the power of nature. I do not want to spoil the plot in anyway but it was a little bit out there in places but
Jean
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a different! I like the setting on the Big Island, Hawaii because I knew the area. It was a complex story told in an unusual fashion, weaving in a lot of subject areas. I can't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it either. The idea that one announces one's death by Facebook certainly peaks one's interest. Although I would hardly define this a Christian fiction, it does carry with it the concept of afterlife and forgiveness - but not in the traditional sense. the story telling remind ...more
  • Murder Over Easy
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Papoosed (Essie Cobb Senior Sleuth, #2)
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • Secrets, Lies, & Love
  • Puzzlebook: 102 Puzzle Quizzes
  • River Rising
  • Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time
  • In Love with Eleanor Rigby
  • The Volunteer
  • Whale Song
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • The Delilah Complex (Butterfield Institute, #2)
  • Getting Sassy
  • The Resume is Dead
  • With Just One Click...
  • 30 Delicious Refrigerator Cake Recipes
  • Suspense (The Spencer Nye Trilogy #1)
Mr. Peacock was born on an island and continues the tradition living in Maui, Hawaii. Decades were spent living on a secluded Oahu, Hawaii beach, surfing, mountain biking, glider flying and throwing beach parties people still talk about.

When he had to work it was stints at the Honolulu airport, as a cargo handler, Air Traffic Control radio, Airline Flight Operations Dispatcher, computer programme