Start by marking “The Mover of Bones (Tall Grass, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mover of Bones (Tall Grass, #1)

The Mover of Bones

(Tall Grass Trilogy #1)

In one hand, Jesse Breedlove holds a bottle of Cuervo Gold—or what’s left of it—in the other, the shovel with which he has just unearthed the bones of a small girl buried in the cellar of a Catholic church in Omaha, Nebraska. So begins Breedlove’s odyssey across the literal and mythical landscapes of America, bearing the finely articulated body he has uncovered, the bones ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mover of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mover of Bones

Colleen
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this to be the most difficult story thread to follow ever! It left me frustrated most of the time. However, it also kept me wondering so I would go back and read some more....I ams ending it to a friend who is a AVID reader...I need a second opinion!
Casey
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Mover of Bones Robert Vivian's first novel of his "Tall Grass Trilogy" (followed by Lamb Bright Saviors (2010) and Another Kingdom Burning (2011) both from U of Nebraska Press), is an interesting book. I know that's not a particularly good descriptor, but Vivian's work is difficult to categorize--which isn't a bad thing.

To say what The Mover of Bones is about or to describe its plot isn't all that easy. On the surface the novel is about how Jesse Breedlove, a man we ultimately don't know a
Sophfronia Scott
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Janitor Jesse Breedlove digs up the bones of a murdered girl in the basement of a church. Why is he doing it? Is he going to find the murderer? Will he find her family? These would be the questions answered in an ordinary novel but “The Mover of Bones”, thankfully, is no ordinary novel. Instead Breedlove gently puts the bones in the back of his pickup truck and goes on what one character calls “a rock-n-roll tour” traveling across the country where he encounters a variety of people, many living ...more
Ryan
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal. A book my favorite college professor and one of the most interesting human beings I have ever met, Vivian can't help but paint images that will burn into retinas and he demonstrates extraordinary capability in capturing the mentality, the perspective, and the voice of a wide variety of individual walks of life, full of insightful thoughts as characters are examined: the gambling addict in Vegas who is dying to return home; the abused housewife who fears discovery from the man she's s ...more
Michael
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow! This was a really interesting book. It didn't quite grab me at its beginning, but I was compelled to keep reading and found it to be -- in the end -- really thought-provoking. Surreal, troubling, beautiful, sublime... It's hard to explain exactly what this book is "about", but the first person vignettes delving into the lives of the downtrodden, the misunderstood, the desperate -- addicted, homeless, friendless, disabled, privileged, and empty -- really affected me. I felt myself relating i ...more
Pilouetta
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
from the beginning this book was more than a story about a drifter, a drunk, or a criminal - it was mythic and mystic. what vivian did was craft a series of characters who were more like embodiments gifted into existence by the bones of a dead girl. but even that is not quite right, because he writes secret poems in between the lives he tells in lines. "the breeze came in softly ... like a piece of cotton dipped in hope." i couldn't stop and read it in one sitting.
Trilety
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I have given this book to 6 people - it is a heavy journey indeed for such a small book. The chapters are tiny, ranging from 1 to a few pages - but the words and thoughts are rich and fatty - giving the reader a good dose of literary gout.

It is definite any reader will be able to relate to at least one of the characters in the book - a truly tragic story which fills you up and lightens your load.
Carrie
Jun 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Great Plains lit, lyric fiction, myth
It took me two tries to start this novel, of which Jesse Breedlove is the least interesting part. What really captured me is the lyricism of the language and the sympathy with which even the most disturbing characters are rendered. Jesse may offer redemption, but these are people are who have to make their own.
Lisa
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Highly readable prose doubles as powerful poetry. So intense and fraught with meaning I needed to read it in small doses in order to properly savor the majesty of this author's craft. This man is an incredible writer. Nothing I can opine can adequately tout the literary perfection of this book. Amazing!
Mary
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love Vivian's work, but I enjoy his essays more than his novels. I'm biased, though.
Truman Bullard
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This author deserves far wider recognition. His three brief novels
are simply wonderful both in content and style.
Michael
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, haunting, truthful, and original. Vivian paints America in all its light and darkness. It's the heartland counterpart to Selby's Last Exit To Brooklyn.
Sue Silverman
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Robert Vivian's is an incredible stylist with vivid and urgent imagery.
Neetu
Feb 06, 2018
Jess
Mar 19, 2010
Lena
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2015
Colleen
Sep 16, 2012
Patriciafoltz
Aug 01, 2014

Tall Grass Trilogy (3 books)
  • Lamb Bright Saviors (Tall Grass, #2)
  • Another Burning Kingdom (Tall Grass, #3)