Start by marking “Far From Over” as Want to Read:
Far From Over

Far From Over

Gemma Garvey's marriage has been over for ages. Gemma ended it and chose to be a single mother rather than continue the pretence that her marriage to work-obsessed David Hennessy was working. So why is she so upset when he marries bimbo Orla O'Neill? Is it that Orla's thin and gorgeous whilst Gemma at 35 feels more like 55? Or that David's starting a new life whilst she's ...more
Published November 2nd 2000 by Headline Book Publishing (first published May 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Far From Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far From Over

Start your review of Far From Over
Bronwyn Rykiert
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, family
I enjoyed this story that is set in Ireland and tells the story of Gemma Garvey, her ex-husband David Hennessay and his new wife Orla McNeil.

David and Gemma had been apart for 5 years before the marriage, so why was she so upset when David, who is 40 married the red haired bimbo bitch Orla who is only 24 years old? Gemma can't quite understand it - it was even her who ended their marriage because David spent too much time at work and was not a proper partner or father to their childr
Rebecca
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Ah, the Irish. They dwell over the tiniest things and it gets them nowhere in life! Essentially it takes like 400 pages for the ex-wife and new wife of this Dude to get along. Each is somewhat jealous of the other and dwells on it way to long without anything going anywhere. The ex-wife is the same age as the Dude and the new wife is closer in age to his daughter then him, of course. NOTHING HAPPENS! I didn't hate any of the characters, which is new for me in Irish lit as usually the people are ...more
Gina
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've always like her writing style. Sheila O'Flanagan always has a way with telling a story from the third point of view yet comprehensively crafting out the emotional details of her characters. It's something I'm learning how to master.

This story was a good balance between predictable and unpredictable, and the golden nugget is in the misunderstandings that often time create more conflicts in life than we care to give credit to.

The in-depth exploration of each character's reactions and respon
Johanne
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it, I really like Kate Binchy's reading! And I'm going to look for more by Sheila O'Flanagan.
Keshia Burchette
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
So many thoughts were going through my mind as I was reading this book that I decided to break my review up into more than one part. I wrote as I was reading.
Beginning to chapter 16:
Gemma- On many levels I can certainly relate to Gemma. I have the best of intentions but always end up spending more than I should have. I strive to do better yet I usually don't. I have dreams of owning my own business I'm just not there at this point in my life. I can understand her marriage ending al
penelopewanders
I haven't read many books by this author, but every time I do I find myself wondering where to get some more. She feels to me a little like a grown up Maeve Binchy (or rather her characters feel more grown up to me), but I expect that may be related to the Irish setting. Not entirely, however, because it's much more Binchy than Marian Keyes. There's something quite down to earth, very human and yet not excessively over the top about the characters. Goodreads insists on giving me a second edition ...more
Cheryce
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pretty good! It was funny, cheeky, cute...I enjoyed the characters and the story.
Gladys Maina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I give this book a four star because I enjoyed reading it and it kept me engaged. I needed a light read and it exactly did that. I will definitely be reading more of Sheila O'Flanagan.
Angela Armstrong
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Loved it
Birgit
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-audio
Gemma is a divorced mother of two children Keelan (13) and Ronan (11). She instigated the divorce from David five years ago. The story starts with David marrying Orla a much younger prettier woman who is closer in age to his daughter than to him. Gemma is upset and goes on a spending spree (SHOCK) that she can't afford. What can possibly go wrong???? Pretty much everything you would expect in a chic lit.

It was a nice easy read/listen (first audio book I've borrowed from the library). David did
RiiAANA  3
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Teenagers and adults
I took a slight interest in readng this as i wanted something to relax me in the holidays, a light book This book is ok and Mr.Gibson always said never judge a book until you got through at least the first chapter and i did! I became slightly interested and as the book went on the story began to unfold even more...at times in the book the pace was slow but i preseveared and i found that it was a sort of happily ever after book. This book is about the ordinary troubles of family life and how divo ...more
Moya
Mar 09, 2016 added it
Another fully enjoyable light-hearted read from Sheila O'Flanagan!

I often sit down and take out her books to reread as there is no complications, and although they are simply telling the tales of the day-to-day lives of each character, she writes with a flair that draws you in to the point where you feel the characters nearly mimic those that you know from your own local town area!

One for the relaxation reading shelf!
Rae
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was quite long for its genre. I thought some of the conversations and interactions between Gemma and David and David and Orla and Orla and Gemme to be a little unrealistic. That being said, it kept my interest. I wasn't really sold on Sam and Gemma's reaction when he showed up early for a visit seemed to be exaggerated.
Ciinderella Charlotte
Jul 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 14+
I have just started to read this book. so far i am on chapter 4 and already i am finding the book really good. i chosee to read this book as i love the author who writes them =] i have already read a book by the author who wrote this one. it was called isobel's wedding. as i finished that book i wanted to read more by the author and i have started to. =]
Sally Cunliffe
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was ok, a nice enough light hearted read but very predictable and it could have been half the lenght it was. Dvorced couple, he has remarried , wives hate each other (or think they do) Children in the mix etc
Erica Hudson
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Caroline
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Always enjoyable Irish chick lit.
Lorraine
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, wasn't one of those stories that you can guess whats going to happen. Kept me hooked all the way through :)
Priscilla Asir
Aug 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Good work from the author... But defnitely not my kinda read.
Lindsey Jones
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Bit boring, could not get into it so gave up
Minoli
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too draggy, a little predictable. But a really good book, as far as chic-lit goes.
Zoe
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another huuuuuge one from Sheila! 600 pages full of messy relationships and "the other woman". A great, if long read. O'Flanagan rarely disappoints.
Richie
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
a book with sure-footed lead characters who struggle to stand by their decisions through confusion, guilt,desire....... =)
Alvi Harahap
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Touching...Funny....and It really Pictures whats called a marriage life:)
Maria Elmvang
I'll be the first to admit it's trash - but good trash :) A single woman with 2 kids tries to get used to the fact that her ex-husband is remarrying. Quite interesting and optimistic :)
Marilu
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-at-home
Easy read - all is resolved in the end!!
Beth
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the back and forth between the female characters. Both strong women in their own right, easily cut down by their own take on the other. Overall entertaining.
Cindy Vine
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
The story was okay, although a little predictable, the bad editing was off-putting in places, but still a good book to read before going to bed at night. I enjoyed the short chapters.
Beverly
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite's by her. If not my favorite.

• Without Him
  • Divided Loyalties
  • The Year that Changed Everything
  • None of My Affair: The Wedding of the Year. The Scandal of the Decade.
  • Putting Out the Stars
  • Double Wedding
  • The Summer Visitors
  • After the Wedding: What happens after you say 'I do'?
  • The Reunion
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • It's Raining Men
  • The Last Week of May
  • Whitethorn Woods
As you can see, a Dubliner all my life. My parents owned a grocery shop in the Iveagh Markets, in the Liberties area of the city and I guess city blood runs through my veins.

As a child I enjoyed reading and telling stories and everyone thought that I end up in a job which had something to do with books and literature. But though I applied for a job in the library all of the job offers