Start by marking “M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual)” as Want to Read:
M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual)

M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a Mom. This means you have someone to make you sandwiches, someone to drive you to soccer practice, and someone—for reasons unknown to man—who is able to hold your snotty, used tissues in her own pocket without gagging. A well-functioning mom is essential to domestic harmony and general wellbeing. Yet despite ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about M.O.M., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M.O.M.

Cheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoThe Help by Kathryn StockettLove You Forever by Robert MunschThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniEvery Five Years by Christine Ardigo
Great Books for Mom or Any Woman
179th out of 187 books — 227 voters
Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninGiggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen CroninClick, Clack, Moo and More by Doreen CroninDiary of a Worm by Doreen CroninDiary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
Best of Doreen Cronin
21st out of 25 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Though this is a picture book, not certain who the audience is. This is really a picture book for adults. I read it aloud to a friend and we laughed quite a bit over some of the examples. This is not a book for a mom without a sense of humor though. :-)
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/13/11 -

I want to see the child who is in the age range this book targets that understands - and gets the humor - in this book. Someone show me. Then I'll show you a child going on the reactions of the adult reader.
This is packaged in a very unique way. I've never seen a book quite like it. But it needs to much more than that alone.
The premise is a good one. Some parts of the book are even okay. But the writing is so repetitive in parts. Most parts aren't written in a mann
Barbara
Athough some young readers will enjoy this picture book [a manual for how to care and maintain mothers and make sure they're in optimium health], clearly its audience is more likely to be the mothers out there who spend so much of their time making sure life goes smoothly for their children. There are seven chapters, one providing a historial overview of mothers, one offering grooming tips, and one focuses on troubleshooting when Mom malfunctions. The text contains all sorts of humor and sarcasm ...more
Monique
Simply hilarious. Perfect picture book for children but especially for moms. The illustrations and commentary is so funny your stomach will hurt and you will cry (the good but ugly cry). I like to think I'm a "reasonably alert and attentive mom" but my daughters say I'm really a "pleasant yet fried around the edges mom"...either way I'm a SNEW (need Sleep, Nutrition a must, Exercise not so much and Water drinking) mom that has eyes in the back of my head. The instructions for the kids on how to ...more
Mary Ann
very fun book. Loved reading it with my 7 y.o. And my 12 y.o. also loved it too. They're having fun deciding how I'm feeling every day now. Except - HARSH - I've been told that I'll never be groovy!

12 y.o. just now: "Ah, I know when you're groovy - at the book conference" (#ALA11) Too true, too true - out of the mouths of babes (or tweens, in this case).

So, professional review to come. But this book is a fun read, although it has lots of writing and a semi-sarcastic tone that is a better fit for
Michelle McBeth
This is a picture book with seven chapters including: 1) A brief historical overview on moms 2) Daily care and maintenance 3) Grooming 4) Outdoor use 5) Troubleshooting 6) Reset 7) Final note

I was hoping when I began to read this book that it would truly give children some valid advice on the care of moms. Instead this book degrades mothers by showing how they are always sloppy, falling apart, dirty, erratic and desperate. The humor used to portray these things is more appropriate for middle sch
Dolly
Aug 05, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms
This is an entertaining manual, but I got far more chuckles out of it than our girls did. I think it's just one of those picture books that really is meant for an adult audience.

It's a bit long and repetitive, too, and our youngest fell asleep about halfway through. Although the book does not specifically mention Mother's Day, that would be a great time of year to read it.

Overall, it's a humorous book and we enjoyed reading it, but if it was intended for children, it missed it's mark. The illu
Marcia
This was intended to be a funny owners manual for kids to keep their mom's happy. After a couple of pages it was redundant and lost its charm. The humor seemed targeted to the adult reader, and I'd be curious if children "got it". Not for me.
Michelle Nero
Sorry to say, that even as a new mom, I lost interest. Too much going on and not a book for kids or tired moms looking for a great book.
Boni
Picture book for adults, specifically moms. Kids may find it entertaining to a point, but it's really long and gets a bit repetitive.
Kylie
Every mom should have a copy of this book! It's brilliant and absolutely hysterical - a perfect read aloud for kids ages 6 to 100.
Michelle
Highly recommended for ages 8-11 and mothers of all ages.
Edward Sullivan
Fun tribute to all the wonderful things moms do.
Mamers
This is the most hilarious picture book I have ever read. I am in a full on snorting, tearing, laughing mode. I can't breathe, I am laughing so hard. This book is being passed to my coworkers right now, who are collapsing in a fit of giggles.

Here's a for instance:
"Sleep - To ensure peak performance, your mom needs eight hours of peaceful, uninterrupted sleep each night. This will never happen, but it's important to set goals."

Or how 'bout:
"Remarkably, despite their size, moms can sleep on as li
Katy
This would be a super cute idea to give as a gift from kids to mom for Mother's Day. As long as they follow the book's instructions! ;) I can think of several moms I know that would thoroughly enjoy this book, because they work so hard everyday with their kids and do a fantastic job (even if they don't always feel satisfied by the day's end). And there is actually good, practical advice that kids will understand without feeling like they're being TOLD to **insert parental guidance here** just “b ...more
Tanya (mom's small victories)
Cute how to guide on how kids can help their mom. I think it's better for older kids who can read on their own. I tried reading to my preschooler but too much wording to keep his attention and the humor was lost on him. agree that maybe it's better for adults who can relate to why it's funny.
Aimee
This book is perfect. It is now going to be my favorite coffee table book I will leave it out for kids to refer to whenever there is a doubt in their minds on how to operate their MOM.
Chieko
I was kind of disappointed. I saw this on one of parenting magazine and thought it sounded fun. It was fun and entertaining for me enough, but my 7-year-old didn't care and he had more "Huh?" than laughter. My 5-year-old didn't understand a lot of things there and walked away in the middle of the book, which she never does. It's a picture book, but not easy enough to read by himself for my 7-year-old, yet the idea and thoughts are more like younger kids' view, but those younger ones may not thin ...more
Katy Bennett
I don't think this book was really meant for kids. It would be better as a buzzfeed article passed around on facebook.
Ashley
Hidden in the children's books and full of pictures, this one is really for moms.
Beverly
Funny, but too long for story time.
Alexa
Cute and hilarious!
Heather
32 months - I found this book quite funny but O was not at all impressed and we both found it longer and wordier than necessary. To me this is basically an adult book disguised as a kids picture book. Save it to read with your older kids who have more experience with you not at your best and have tiptoed around a few of your bad mood moments. When I asked O which Mom looked most like me she chose "Pleasant Yet Fried Around the Edges Mom"... Now that's funny!
Donalyn
I thought this book was funny, but it was written for moms, not their kids. I did laugh often while reading this instruction manual for your mom. My favorite, "Pulling over and turning the car around has been widely dismissed as a myth. It is not. Act accordingly." The tips for dealing with your "Malfunctioning Mom" were particularly hilarious, including the suggestion to "Call Grandma, ask her to come and get you," if everything else fails.
Marcie
Dec 27, 2011 Marcie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: broomfield new books
Shelves: children-s-humor
I'm not sure kids will find this as funny as their mom's. The funniest page for me was 35 where the kids are in a group therapy circle lamenting this one who was handed "an empty coffe cup in order to take care of business".
I do however think it is important that kids learn how to deal with major and minor parental malfunctions, so perhaps this book will sell well.
Andrea
I'm not sure who is supposed to read/like this book. It doesn't seem right for me or my kids. If this was marketed as a mommy book it might be better. After the first attempt at reading this book to Melanie, all other "readings" consisted of me making up things to go with the pictures and skipping as many pages as I could.
Wanda
This was a cute book, but a little all over the place. I tried reading it to my 3 year old, and it just could not keep his interest. Maybe if he was 8 or 9, he would understand the humor in it. As a mom, I liked it and thought it was cute, but for a story for a little one, not so much and that is why I rated it 1 star.
Terrie Andrews
Description: This is a laugh out loud, funny story about the basic principles of respecting your mom. The commentary and the pictures are expertly paired and help make the book enjoyable.
Implementation ideas: Great for introducing captions or using as a pre-read for mother’s day activities such as card making.
I got some stares trying not pee myself while reading this at my desk this afternoon. If you are a mom or have ever had a mom, you won't be able to help but crack up while reading this hilarious outing from Cronin.

I know what my mom is getting for Mother's Day...
Gin
I'm not sure kids or "non-moms" will find this book as funny as a mom will.
I LOL...L'd (that's Laughed Out Loud...Literally) while reading this book! Would be fun to share with upper elementary ages or it could be a great gift book for a favorite mom
  • Are You Awake?
  • I'm Not.
  • Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Stop Snoring, Bernard!
  • 11 Experiments That Failed
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type Giggle, Giggle, Quack Diary of a Worm Diary of a Spider Dooby Dooby Moo