Start by marking “Too Good To Be True” as Want to Read:
Too Good To Be True

Too Good To Be True

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  976 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
From the bestselling author comes a brilliant, feel-good read about the ultimate holiday romance. When Carey Browne decides it's time for a holiday and flies into New York City - one of her favourite shopping destinations - she knows she'll have a good time. What she doesn't know is that she's about to have the biggest adventure of her life. Within days she's met and marri ...more
Paperback
Published April 12th 2004 by Headline Review (first published October 13th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Too Good To Be True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Good To Be True

Yulia
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First choice can't be wrong, it's just how would you manage to make this last. The point is both Carey and Ben need to grow up a lil bit to realize that all of the past and it's problem attached is truly something. They really can't handle things at first but eventually Ben took a brave step to ask Carey to reevaluate their relationship and get back together at the very last minute of their divorce process. Cheers to that. Yay
Elena
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Птицы высокого полета
Автор рецензии: Дедюхина Елена
Дата публикации: 18 октября 2005 г.

Любовный треугольник в качестве основы сюжета давно уже устарел. Вот если взять две пары, где у каждого из партнеров - длиннющий шлейф воспоминаний, обид, неоправданных притязаний и не вполне угасших страстей, то это создаст поистине лавинообразный сюжет. Посадить по одному из несостоявшихся супругов в самолет и направить в Нью-Йорк - славный город бешеных скоростей, богемных вечеринок, бесконечных показов мод
Nadia
The theme of this book is love at first sight and whether it can last the pace. I think almost everyone has met someone that they fall madly in love with almost as soon as they see them but very few of them get married straight away, which is what happens to the lead characters Carey and Ben. They meet on a flight to New York and then head to Las Vegas to tie the knot.

But what seems like a great idea in the heat of the moment doesn’t necessarily work out so well when they get home. While I was
CLM
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Carey and Ben meet on a plane flying from Dublin to New York, are instantly attracted to each other, and after a romantic night in Manhattan decide to fly to Las Vegas and get married. However, once they return from Ireland, their families and their exes prevent them from learning how to adjust to married life.

Carey was a more convincing character than Ben, but I did find this book entertaining.
Andrea
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic
Remember tv show... i forgot it name..lol.. all i can remmy it starts with D and Greg... A show about a couple, who just met and decided to marry each other on the same day. You know the love at first sight. So book is basically about that, with alot of funny parts. I enjoyed that book. :)
Archana Radhakrishnan
Oh for heaven's sake.. it doesn't even qualify as chicklit. Keeps going round and round in circles, to come to a conclusion that could have been reached to within the first 15 pages!!
Wonder how the publishers even agreed to take on this book. Certainly not one of Sheila's best, a damn right waste of time!
Lena Foster
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lättläst chic-lit
Vem ska få vem känslan fanns där ibland och jag ville läsa lite till. När tåget rullade in på stationen så blev jag lite ledsen att det var dags att lägga ner boken 🙂
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Man, I love Irish chick-lit and for some reason, it's so not popular in the US and they rarely stock it. So when I go to a country where they have the queen on their money still, I know I have to stock up! Pretty much the only Irish author that is stocked in the US is Marion Keyes and while her books are okay, it isn't the same as loads of authors!

Girl works as an air traffic controller (AWESOME!!!) and flies to NYC for a party for a friends and meets Boy on the flight. They click immediately an
Sherri
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read a romance and I had this at home so checked it out. The jacket sounded good but I wasn't that thrilled. When I read a romance I'm doing it because I want a story to end with the people I like getting together and at least having a chance at staying that way, happily. My expectations of the story to get them there is that there is a lot of good times, some issues or problems and good writing that takes me a way from my unromantic life. I didn't care so much for this book, not bec ...more
Zanna Mackenzie
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to be a big Sheila O'Flanagan fan many years ago and then, for some reason, just stopped reading her books. I was intrigued by one of her more recent books, read it, loved it, and found myself wanting to reread some of her older books so I got a copy of Too Good To Be True. The verdict? Loved it this time around too. At around 630 pages it's quite a long book but the pace never flags, there's always twists and turns, lots of subplots and it keeps you in suspense right up to the very last ...more
Dark-Draco
Sep 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-reading
This is the story of Carey, who meets someone on the plane flying out to America, spends a couple of days with him, and then gets married to him in LAS Vegas. Understandably, both families are not too happy about it!

Sorry it is such a short review, but I didn't actually finish reading it. It wasn't the style or the story as such, both of which I found entertaining. But the book didn't really suit my current mood and I just couldn't get into it properly. I did think I might return to it, but ther
Zoe
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little read. Although saying that, it was far from 'little' at over 600 pages! I actually did enjoy the fluffyness of this book although my reason for only three stars is because I couldn't get over how much I disliked the lead character, Carey! She was so naive, gullible and at times, rude and abrupt - I just found her to be a little unstable. I found myself rolling my eyes at her argumentitiveness. Despite that, this was a good chick-lit and very simple and straightforward to ge ...more
Caroline G'wattage
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Loved this book, did not think it was going to be worth the read.

The humor and the story line was so funny that it was highly readable.
Witty and touching, the characters are just to fall in love with.

Shelia O' Flanagan is a favorite new author on my must reads.
Love this book, for a light read on wanting to put a smile on your face, go for this book, you will not be disappointed !
Sofia
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not have very high expectations since this is a typical chic lit book. It is a "page-turner" but I got really frustrated with the main character. Think before you act, damn it! But OK for its genre.
Amanda Patterson
Sheila O Flannagan is a highly intelligent woman.
It is ironic that she has made her name in this fluffiest of all book genres.
Like Mavis Cheek, Santa Montefiore and Joanna Trollope, she writes about inceredibly boring people.
Which is okay if you have a plot. This one doesn't.
Kat Stradling
Samra Muslim
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OMG - i could not wait for Ben & Carey to get done with the (Indian Soap Opera-type) drama and figure out that they belong together! Suffice to say - it takes forever and more in getting to the obvious point .. and the best way to read it is by skipping pages and skimming the story !
Jewel
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing too exciting here. Amazon thinks that because I like one UK chick lit writer, I might just like them all. The book got a little over the top with the silly fantasy events, but it was an easy and fairly fun read nonetheless.
Minoli
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing too serious. It was rather comic, and shallow. But it is chic-lit after all. Wasn't too sure of the ending, because I still am not convinced if Carey can stick with one person when she is engaged to another.
Rob & Liz
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romantics, easy read, fun
Story of an air traffic controller in Dublin and her on again off again love for her husband who has his own on again off again issues. Course all ends well but the funny stories between the covers. (book cover)
A blast, really good fun read overall. Even a guy can enjoy.
Rob
Nicole
Marleen
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marleen by: Leuven Library
Interesting story with charismatic characters.
Is there such thing as love and first sight? Can two people make a one night stand last forever?
Duanur
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, meeh
*3.5*
Christine
Kind of dragged towards the end....
Allison
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mindless reading, but enjoyed it despite the fluff.
Alicia
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was long, and I was basically waiting to see how they lived out their life as a couple. It was too long a wait to see the ending. I liked Freya though, but I really wanted to see tme together.
Pauline
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too long for what it was.
Elizabeth
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A super summer read!
Julia
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an in depth read or anything but a fun easy read.
Catherine
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-read, 2013
Girl meets boy, girl marries boy - then they arrive home to the real world! Predictable end but fun anyway.
  • Never Too Late
  • Happy Ever After
  • Tall, Dark and Handsome
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • The Last To Know
  • The Wedding Day
  • Secrets
As you can see, a Dubliner all my life. My parents owned a grocery shop in the Iveagh Markets, in the Liberties area of the city and I guess city blood runs through my veins.

As a child I enjoyed reading and telling stories and everyone thought that I end up in a job which had something to do with books and literature. But though I applied for a job in the library all of the job offers I got were i
More about Sheila O'Flanagan...