Start by marking “By-Line: Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades” as Want to Read:
By-Line: Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades

By-Line: Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  26 reviews
s/t: Selected Articles & Dispatches of Four Decades
Spanning the years from 1920 to 1956, this priceless collection of pieces written by Hemingway ranges from articles for the "Toronto Star" and the Hearst newspapers to popular magazines such as "Esquire, Collier's" and "Look", and includes Hemingway's vivid eyewitness accounts of the Spanish Civil War and World War II.
Published May 12th 1998 by Scribner (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about By-Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By-Line

Simon Kearney
I love this anthology. I wasn't going to read it again, one or two, but I couldn't stop.
Hemingway's journalism informed many of his fictional stories and they are damned good pieces of writing. I read it with a mixture of admiration and jealousy. The second has stayed in my mind from the first reading, it's about free things and Hemingway gets a free shave from the beginners at the barber's academy in Toronto. Then he gets a tooth pulled at the dentistry school, which is something I did when I
Wilson Trivino
Ernest Hemingway penned some of the best known works in literature. This story captures a voice of his time. However before he was able to put these masterpieces down on paper, he had to horn his craft. In By-Line: Ernest Hemingway: Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades Edited by William White, the reader is able to peak into Hemingway’s daily work before he put together a large comprehensive work.
These stories read like blog post and are observational, intuitive, and captures a flav
Theresa Glover
This was another literature class read, but one worth of at least a few comments about it. I expected to incur eye-rolling headaches, or perhaps attacks of mid-homework ninja sleep that tend to accompany dry writing/reading. Instead, what I found was a deeper appreciation of Ernest Hemingway's skills, and a deep sadness in the changes to journalism. While there were some passages that took effort to get through (usually related to the subject matter at hand), I was pleased to discover that I enj ...more
Barnaby Thieme
This is an outstanding selection of Hemingway's professional newspaper and magazine articles. Many of them deal with culture, geopolitics, and conditions in Europe from the 1920s through the end of World War II, with special attention on the rise of fascism in Italy and Spain and the conflict between Japan and China.

Hemingway gives a ground-level narrative of history as only he can, chronicling the Spanish Civil War and advocating a dubious position (with the benefit of hindsight) of isolationi
Bistra Ivanova
Отдавна я бях чела, този път - подробно и внимателно за една курсова работа - с фокус военните текстове. Повечето хора познават Хемингуей преди всичко като белетрист, а той през целия си живот е бил тясно обвързан с журналистиката - бил е репортер, кореспондент и фрийленсър (есета, пътеписи, etc); последните му две жени също са били знаменити журналистки. Наистина смятам, че всеки, който се занимава с медии, трябва да прочете тази книга. Хемингуей слага фокусът върху това да погледнеш човека в о ...more
Anglotopia
This is an excellent look at Hemingway's other life as a foreign correspondent - a career that provided ample material for his fiction works. The selected articles here provide an interesting insight into daily life and the geopolitics of the first half of the 20th century. Reading this book really makes you wish we still had journalists who could write like this. Some of the articles are rather banal and uninteresting, but they are few and far between. I've often said that Hemingway is best enj ...more
Jason
Much of Hemingway's stylistic and thematic features are present, especially in the later works, but it's hard to recommend reading this all at once. The essays themselves range from just OK to great, but this is likely for Hemingway completists only.
Jeff
I’m still working my way through the library of Ernest Hemingway’s books. In the last 2 weeks I listened to “The Short Stories: Volume I” which includes “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” and yesterday I finished “A Moveable Feast.” Now I’m currently on Hemingway’s “By-Line” which has many of the stories he published as a journalist for the Toronto Star as well as various magazines and other periodicals. What a fascinating life he led. After I’ve finished most his major works I must write in more detail ...more
Rich Boyett
Great collection. I would have posted 5 stars if not for the WW II section. The Asian dispatches bored me out of my scull. "The Christmas Trip" story was worth the cost of the book. It was one of the best Hemingway pieces I have ever read.
John Stepper
A must for any Hemingway fan as it provides material you may have never otherwise seen. Some of it is from his early 20s, some when he was already famous and reporting World War II. Some are fishing and hunting stories for magazines like Esquire.

If you're like me, you won't like every article. But, as a whole, they let you see his development as a writer while also letting you contrast his approach to reporting from his approach to books.

Reading them all, one at a sitting, was a real treat.
Nicole Marble
I listened to this book 2 years ago and found it boring.
Tried again and saw, or rather heard, something a bit different.
Hemingway was a fine reporter and put himself in Europe in the 1920's as the fuel of WWII was just organizing. And Hemingway noticed, and absorbed it and predicted that the extremists/activists of the 1920's could lead to war.
After that, and after success, he became quite full of himself - and that was VERY boring.
Kristen
I think this is the book that I have, although mine is an old edition, probably one of the originals. I love it. More than Hemingway's fiction, his coverage of Europe during the wars is beautifully written and gives me such a sense of what it would have been like to live and work in that era. I can pick this one up and turn to any page and get caught up in the history and language that Hemingway captures beautifully.
John
In contrast to Hem's novels, this collection of articles is often light and laugh-out-loud funny. Of course there is scathing sarcasm and abundant stories about shooting and fishing. Some of his political writing is worth skipping and some of his hypotheses about marlin (e.g., striped, white and blue are all one species)are simply wrong--yet, he is very readable and still the master of outdoor sports writing.
Justin
from a biased perspective (Hemingway being my favorite author), half the book is great. his observations of 1920s Europe and his times/experiences as an expat are the key to this book. his explanation of trout fishing, marlin fishing, whale fishing, bullfighting, antelope hunting, elephant hunting, lion hunting, etc., all with exhaustively exquisite detail, are why I think only half the book is great.
Meg
Mar 27, 2009 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in 20th century history
Recommended to Meg by: my son gave it to me
This is some of the best journalism it's been my privilege to read. He's a master at this craft and now, of course, it's a fascinating look at history. If you're at all interested in the Spanish Civil War, the reports from that conflict are useful, and interesting to compare to George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia."
Issaquah
My edition looks different. It is a green/blue paperback.

This features what purports to contain the best of Hemingway's writing from his reporting. I have found that this greatly influenced my perception of France and Germany in between the wars. It features his brilliant writing describing these tough times.
Rally Soong
Not bad for the few pieces of gems of Hemingway's journalistic work...which informed many of his fictions. Some are not that good or are badly informed...but it captures American journalistic writing ala Esquire, etc. of that era.
Josh Stewart
i'm obviously a fan of hemingway. this is a compilation of stuff he wrote early in his career as a young newspaper staffer and then articles he wrote later on as an established best-selling author. great background.
Greg
A collection of mostly non-fiction newpaper articles he wrote for the war. Much of it was boring, if I remember correctly, but there were a few real gems. Of particular note, I "War Medals for Sale" is fantastic.
Zack Hinckley
Really couldn't get into this one very far. His press writing was pretty precious (right word?) kind of prissy and picky. Maybe I'll try again when I get precious (pray for never.)
Kent Winward
Hemingway's war correspondence work is stunning. At the end his ruminations on reading his own obituaries when people thought he'd died in a plane crash was especially poignant.
Wendy
I'm glad to see how the journalist turned into the fiction writer, but I have to admit I'm feeling that when it comes to journalism, Hemingway was no García Márquez....
Charles
Some fine writing, but some of this was really constrained by the rules of reporting during WWII. Good but not his best stuff.
Kathleen Valentine
A collection of his columns as a journalist -- just wonderful!
Janelle
I love this man.
Jackie
Pretty boring.
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Ridge Briel
Ridge Briel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • A Little Learning
  • The Young Hemingway
  • Boring Postcards USA
  • A Dialogue On Love
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...
The Old Man and the Sea The Sun Also Rises For Whom the Bell Tolls A Farewell to Arms A Moveable Feast

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” 50 likes
“All the passengers were crowded over on the landside of the ship, watching through the narrow windows the careened hulk of a freighter, visibly damaged by shellfire, which had driven ashore to beach her cargo. She lay aground, looking against the sand in that clear water like a whale with smokestacks that had come to the beach to die.” 1 likes