Start by marking “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)” as Want to Read:
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,242 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Admiral James T. Kirk is charged by the Klingon Empire for the comandeering of a Klingon starship. The Federation honors the Klingon demands for extradition, and Kirk and the crew of the Starship Enterprise are drawn back to Earth.
But their trip is interrupted by the appearance of a mysterious, all-powerful alien space probe. Suddenly, Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the rest of t
Mass Market Paperback, 274 pages
Published December 1986 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek IV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek IV

Jane
Up until The Fellowship of the Ring came along, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home was my favorite and most watched movie. I had a chance to pick up a copy of the novelization of the script and decided to read it.

Although I enjoyed it, it's not nearly as good as the movie. I'm guessing it was based on the script, not the actual final movie, and there are a fair amount of differences. It did explain some things. For example, in the book Scotty knows the guy at the Plexiglass company invented transpare
Jerry
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can a book be better than the movie it's based on? In this case...yes.
S. J.
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, people who want to actually understand the movie
Recommended to S. by: The franchise
*3.5-4 Stars*

*The Gush*
I was not prepared to like this novel. I'm not a particular fan of the movie, it's ok but I felt it went against rules set out in the show and was basically a mess. A fun mess but a mess. Then I started reading the book and I was hooked. You don't even reach the beginning of the movie until 20 pages in because they are wrapping up stuff from the last movie and dealing with the aftermath of the fal-tor-pan (because duh, of course there would be consequences!). It goes on to
Mike Crate
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Spock has been taken back to Vulcan to have his Katra returned to where it belongs and Kirk and the crew are preparing to return to Earth in their captured Bird of Prey to face charges. During the return trip subspace is flooded with numerous signals and noise, do not return to Earth save yourselves. Of course Kirk is not going to sit back and watch the fireworks and when Spock identifies the mysterious signal being aimed at Earth from a huge construct in orbit Kirk grasps at the slim chance tha ...more
Dale
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1986 by Simon & Schuster
Read by Leonard Nimoy and George Takei
Duration: 90 minutes

I picked this audiobook up at a clearance book sale in the "who's going to want this stuff?" section. Mostly, it was serious junk. Educational software that only operates on Apple IIe, VHS copies of movies that I've never heard of starring some guy that was on some TV show that I barely remember and DVDs of some pastor's sermons on any number of topics (still in the plastic!). And, suddenly, I find
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The most disappointing of Ms. McIntyre's Star Trek movie novelizations. She's obviously losing interest by this point, and you can see it in her inability to have as much fun with the plot and the character material as the film's actors and director. This was a light, comedic & triumphant movie...but Ms. McIntyre seems determined to downplay everything and not join in with the fun. Boo!
Chad
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining novelization - although I'm sure it helps if you are already a fan of the film. The book doesn't really add much to the story but to be fair, I never really felt like there was anything that needed to be added. Growing up without a television in the house, these books were largely how I ingested Star Trek as a kid so they hold a special place for me. Even this far down the line, I'm still able to enjoy them.
Elizabeth Johnson
I happened to find this book at a thrift store for 25 cents, along with three other book-adaptations of the first three (original) Star Trek movies. This particular one happens to by my favorite, and the book did not disappoint! In fact, it gave a lot of helpful background on the travelling probe, answered some lingering questions I had about Saavik, gave further explanation about Spock and McCoy’s recovery from fal-tor-pan, and stayed true to the classic lines from the various San Francisco sce ...more
Indika De Silva
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home is my favorite Star Trek movie to date. So naturally I read the book with much enthusiasm and interest. Ms Vonda N. McIntyre has done justice to the story.

I enjoyed the flow of the story, the additional plots that was not found in the movie and the sense humor that is visible throughout the book.

Gerd
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Star Trek and it's a time travel story.
The first means that as a reader you have to put up with all those small inconsistencies in the STU that I never really got, like how these fantastic space travel speeds are supposed to work out - and how they keep from accidental time travel if all it takes _is_ speed.

The other means, looking for too much story logic is futile.

This said, I have my little niggles with the book, like a printers(?) error that turned Khan Singh into Khan Kingh, that hurts
Michael Hanscom
(This review applies equally to Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.)

In a move that (if I remember correctly) was rather unusual for the time, the Star Trek franchise created three films that were direct sequels: each stands alone as its own story, but they also comprise three parts of one overarching story, with all the events taking place over the course of just a few months.

In a wonderful turn of events, author Vonda N. McIntyre
Kym Robinson
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I went through a phase where any Star Trek audio book was fair game. This was consumed by me on several driving trips and while it was entertaining in the sense that it was better than generic radio it was by no means satisfactory compared to other Star Trek 'books on tape.'

The 'book' plays like a rushed attempt to broadly cover the movie and is at best dry and bland. I feel that this would be decent for young children or any one who is starting out on their audio book experience.

Over all this w
Diane
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listen to the abridged version from 1986, which I got on Audible. I didn't realize it was abridged when I bought it, but that's ok. This was excellently read and acted by George Takei with little vignettes by Leonard Nimoy. Takei even does a wonderful job imitating the accents and vocal cadence of the actors from the series. There are sound effects and music, which enhanced the experience. Since this was, in my opinion one of the weaker Star Trek movies I think I'm glad it was abridged althoug ...more
Read1000books
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A great, and fun, TOS ST novel, but probably for hard-core Trekkies only. Why? To fully understand the significant sub-plot (i.e. the court-martial of James T. Kirk!) you need to watch or be familiar with the Star Trek episode "Space Seed", and the movies (or novelizations of) "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" and "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock". (I read this in celebration of the upcoming 50th anniversary of the premiere of the original "Star Trek" tv series, with special thanks to Willia ...more
Scott Williams
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I sometimes find movie novelizations quite entertaining. They are frequently based on early drafts of the screenplay that are subject to change. That is the case with this one. This book is an interesting artifact to analyze.

This novel includes some small subplots about 20th century characters which were probably removed from the screenplay before filming even began. There's also a tiny Sulu subplot that is kind of fun.

What this novelization lacks is the sense of humour that the final film has.
Benjamin Duffy
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I grabbed this at my local used bookstore because I remember liking McIntyre's novelizations of The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, when I read them in my teens. I don't know whether it's just that I'm 20 years older (likely), or this one just isn't quite as good(possible), but it left me pretty flat. It was an entertaining two or three day read, but it didn't offer much beyond what was in the movie.

Insult to injury, I tried to sell it back a week after I bought it and they wouldn't take
Hannah
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful! Trek IV is my favorite of the films and I started reading the novelization hoping I would love the book just as much. I think I may like this version of the story even more than the movie! The book includes many extra scenes and interactions that were almost painfully absent from the film. It does a marvelous job of retelling the film's plot without seeming like a rehash. Despite having seen the film many times, the book felt fresh and exciting and was a joy to read.
Cary Spratt
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, star-trek
This is a great accompaniment to my favoritest Star Trek movie. Lovely 'behind the scenes' moments and of course, an answer to the big question of 'what was the probe saying and what did the whales respond?' Reading the descriptions of the interactions with the whales, I could easily imagine what those scenes might've looked like with today's computer graphics, 30 years after the movie and it's (respectable for the times) animatronic whales.
Agnesxnitt
A car boot find - 50p I think.
Just got to the bit where the 20th Century Whale Expert has been beamed aboard the Klingon 'borrowed' Bird of Prey 'Enterprise' in order to take the plot forward to save 23rd Century Earth.
21/06/17 - Again I flew through this! A bit of a guilty pleasure this book, as its the only ST film I have watched from beginning to end. Bit of a light indulgent read, but a goody.
Barbara
It is one of the better books written about a movie. Most movies when written down don't read well because you miss the thoughtprocesses that normally are included in books. This book has those and more. It has some extra scenes that the movie didn't but were planned and other scenes that were accidental in the movie it doesn't have. So it isn't a 100 % the same but it isn't annoying. I like it a lot.
Mary
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This book was a wonderful addition to the movie. One of my favorites.

Unlike most of the other Star Trek movies and novels, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home must be read/watched consecutively.
Els
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Absolute die hard Trek fans.
Shelves: star-trek
This is my first Star Trek novel but it's not the first movie-to-book I've read. It's certainly better than other m-to-b's and it fills in some small gaps the movie had but I don't think it added drastically to the story. The book was still enjoyable and I liked that some of the funnier dialogue was kept but I wish that it had been a bit "more."
Lucy
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my most favourite of the old school Captain James T Kirk movies and I also really enjoyed reading the book! It was a great bit of escapism without too much deep thinking...I like this kind of book sometimes! :D

I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
J.W. Braun
McIntyre stays closer to the screenplay for this novelization than she does for her novelizations of Star Trek II and Star Trek III, which is smart, because it's a great screenplay. That said, McIntyre throws in some boring stuff that's not in the screenplay every once in a while, slowing the story down and making it less enjoyable. Overall, however, this one is a fun book.
Mrklingon
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once more.....

I really love McIntyre's telling of the Trek - both movies and her own books (Entropy Effect, in particular). I was recently working my way streaming the movies - and was on STIV... until 12/31 and the movies went offline, so... I picked up my e-book copy and finished the story. Next up, The Voyage Home.
Lauren
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, scifi
My favorite book, and my favorite movie, as far as Star Trek movies go.

Funny stuff, Kirk and Spock trying to fit in on Earth. A rice-picking accident? I think not. ;)

The end, very intense. I was jumping up and down and yelling during the movie. In my opinion, the best Star Trek movie.
Izzy
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Though it was fun to reread this book, based on one of my favorite Star Trek movies, I felt that the style of the book was a bit forced. I can forgive that, given how hard I know it can be to novelize a movie.
Darrell Hoberer
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel I read because I want to do rather than had to for school. It was really a turning point for me. Funny thing is that it didn't even have a cover; I read it just because it was Star Trek and hadn't seen any of the movies at that point.
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The book isn't badly written but the story just wasn't compelling to me. Not McIntyre's fault. It's a novelization.
Tammy
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most fun of the original Trek movies, even as a novelization.
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Final Frontier
  • The Wounded Sky
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • The Pandora Principle
  • Star Trek 9
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • The Rift
  • The Kobayashi Maru
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire