Start by marking “Death of a Young Lieutenant (The Jake Reynolds Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Young Lieutenant (The Jake Reynolds Mysteries, #1)

Death of a Young Lieutenant (The Jake Reynolds Mysteries, #1)

Meet Jake Reynolds. Art thief extraordinaire. His specialty is Renaissance masterpieces, with a few 'modern' selections thrown in. His modus operendi is to create an exact replica of the original and switch them with the original going to his client. His 'technique' in aging a masterpiece he developed himself. A secret he will carry to his grave. His clients are fanatical ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Young Lieutenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Young Lieutenant

Start your review of Death of a Young Lieutenant (The Jake Reynolds Mysteries, #1)
"Avonna
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

Death of a Young Lieutenant by B.R. Stateham is a WWI historical mystery that is distinctive in period, setting and protagonist, entertaining and an engrossing mystery read from start to finish.

Jake Reynolds is an American who loves to fly the new aeroplanes. He volunteers to become a pilot in the newly formed British Royal Flying Corps. Captain Reynolds is handsome, charismatic, an adventurer, a talented artist and master thief.

T
Clemens Schoonderwoert
** Definite 3.5 STARS**

This novel, by for me a new author, has certainly been quite a nice revelation for me.
First of all storytelling is of a very good quality and the storyline is well worked out.
Secondly the characters figure splendidly within this mystery, and the story itself has been a pleasure to read.
The book starts off with a short prologue in which our main character, art-thief extraordinaire and hero of this book, Jake Reynolds, is introduced to us by the author.
The real story begins
Bithi
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"...You are just going to drive into a town occupied by the German Army and just stroll up to a treasured French relic and claim it as your own!..."

- B.R. Stateham, Death of a Young Lieutenant

Death of a Young Lieutenant is the first book that I have read by B.R. Stateham.

The author has deftly created a detective story in the setting of the World War I.

I have liked the character of Captain Jake Reynolds. The first thing about him that comes to my mind after reading the book is how lucky he has be
Giovanni Gelati
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Once in a while you come across a novel that is different and unique. A novel that just doesn’t quite fit into the same square and round peg holes, doesn’t follow the formulas that the big guys set out for everybody and is so well done structurally you need to take pause and enjoy it for the gem it is. I was lucky enough to find one of them in Death of a Young Lieutenant by B.R. Stateham. I am going to get to jaw with him on April 6th on my blogtalk show The G-ZONE and I can’t wait to hear him d
Joni Martins

Author: B.R. Stateham
Genre: hardboiled/noir
Part of a series? Yes
Order in series: 1
Best read after earlier books in series? No
Available: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Overall score:
I scored this book 5/5
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Short Summary of the book:
An interview with a war veteran brings a different story than was expected. Our hero turns out to be an art thief and forger, who turns out to
Grace J Reviewerlady
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never really read any rollicking 'boys adventure' type stories, but I imagine this is exactly what they're like!

Captain Jake Reynolds, an American, is flying in WWI as part of the British army. However, Jake has hidden talents and flying is not his only skill and just because he's fighting in a war doesn't mean to say he won't grab an opportunity when it presents itself . . .

This is an exciting, unpredictable read full of action and adventure. Things move quickly so the reader really needs
Iseult Murphy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories about WWI and this book didn’t disappoint. It was a time of great loss and sadness, one that the world has not yet recovered from, but it was also a time of great innovation and the excitement that comes from it. My favorite parts of this book described the use of the new invention of planes in warfare and how they came to change the world. WWI saw the transition from traditional warfare of man and animal against each other to machines and chemicals making even more brutal ways fo ...more
Okafor Chukwunonso
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
B.R. Stateham in an effort to chronicle the experiences of War took us through a path of discovery of the reasons and motivations people have to join the army during these wars. It was indeed depth of discovery. Moreso, while creating its characters, Stateham mastery of character depth in this work is amazing. Take for instance the character of Jake has much depth and discovery that one is taking through the life of Captain Jake Reynolds – pilot, adventurer, art thief, spy. How these attributes ...more
Alan Lampe
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
B.R. tells a good story about an American forger, thief, and soldier. Lieutenant Oglethorpe's anger gets the best of him during a card game in 1914 France. He says, in front of many witnesses, he will kill Sergeant Grimms. The next day, the two argue while in flight in an open-air two-cockpit bi-plane. Two gunshots are heard and the Lieutenant doesn't remember a thing. Sergeant Grimms is dead from a single shot. Captain Jake Reynolds searches for clues while he plots to steal a three wooden pane ...more
Isobel Blackthorn
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stateham has penned an intriguing and well-conceived story told mostly through the eyes of daring art thief and forger Captain Jake Reynolds, who is charged with finding out who murdered Sergeant Grimms. Young Lieutenant Oglethorpe, also deceased, is in the frame. Only Colonel Wingate is not so sure he's guilty. Reynolds heads off to investigate, a task that means he must sneak behind enemy lines. While there, he plots another art theft.

There is much to love in this novel. I enjoyed Stateham's
Anne M
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Henry Roi PR for reviewer's e-copy.

The official description:
The first book in the series is entitled, The Death of a Young Lieutenant. In the opening weeks of World War One, and as a member of a newly formed British Royal Flying Corps squadron shipped off to Belgium, he is asked by his squadron commander to prove the innocence of a young lieutenant accused of murdering an NCO. At the same time Jake wants to steal a 14th Century Jan van Eck painting. The problem is both the evidence to
Sahani Perera, The Book Sherpa
As readers, you come across books with different genres: some recognize for their common blend, while some stand out for their unique nature in surprising you. When you leaf through, each page has a voice of its own that lives to tell its tale. The Death of a Young Lieutenant is a read with its unforgettable spin that you can assure to experience till the end.

In these 273 pages, B. R. Stateham fuels his read with a unique blend of art and war, taking you to a familiar era. Carefully portraying W
Valerie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jake Reynold is a hero and an art thief! This is set during WWI and while the fighting is happening Jake is always looking for art that he can take off unsuspecting owners and replace with authentic fakes! He also gets himself involved in the middle of a murder of a fellow soldier and vows to find the killer! The author gives us an imagery of contrasts in this one that makes it a page turner!
B.R. Stateham
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Something else I've written. Jake Reynolds is an art thief. And a reluctant detective. He steals rare pieces of artwork and unfortunately gets himself involved solving other people's homicides. Hard to solve a felony when you're committing one. ...more
Sophie M
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review as a part of Blackthorn Book Tours newest book tour! Blackthorn Book Tours are a book tour service with a focus on dark fiction such as crime, noir, horror and more!

Death of a Young Lieutenant by B.R. Stateham is set during World War One and contains a heist and a murder mystery all rolled into one - what's not to love? Young Lieutenant James Oglethorpe has been accused of the murder of a Sergeant in his squadron. His only hope of pr
Amisha Bahl Chawla
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An art heist set in one of the most un-likeliest of places, World War 1, Death of a Young Lieutenant by B.R. Stateham subtly brings forth a facet of the war that is rarely touched upon – Robbery.

World War 1 often referred to in its time by the British as the Great War and by the Americans as the European War always conjures up images of death and destruction. It was the first time the world as a cohesive unit battled against each other and it is still referred to as “the war to end all wars”. It
Meredith Rankin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, thriller
This is one heck of a read. We open with an unnamed narrator, a journalist, interviewing an aged Jake Reynolds. The old man invites the journalist to see his collection of rare art: all masterpieces, all stolen. All hidden from the view of others. Only Jake Reynolds gets to enjoy their splendors.

Art theft + murder + historical fiction = Enjoyable story

I enjoy stories about art theft. I enjoy a good mystery. And, of course, I enjoy anything historical, especially the WW I era. Stateham put all th
Okon Ukeme
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a novel... I'm not a fan of war stories but I was held captive by this novel. Captain Jake Reynold held me captive. In this novel I saw a clear example of what it is to build a wonderful character that is breathtaking and one could relate with. The protagonist weld all the other characters and scenes and make them flow. Who can imagine that there ever existed a real art thief who has made our museums possess forgery while he holds the original copies of all paintings. Jake Reynold you are s ...more
S Bodier
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A memoir of Captain Jake Reynolds, or the first of many as suggested, narrated to a reporter in 1964 by Jake himself.
Set in France in the early weeks of WWI, the main plot turns around a series of murders that are linked to Lieutenant Oglethorpe and his family. There is a killer amongst them, and the murders keep happening while the Lieutenant is on his death bed. Will Jake find the killer before the killer kills him too?
This is the story of how Jake, «at one time the world’s greatest art thief
Amy Shannon
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great Story

Stateham pens a great story in DEATH OF A YOUNG LIEUTENANT. I've read this author's work before, and am still impressed with the writing and story telling. This book feels real, and it is an intense thriller. It takes the reader back in time, and it feels that way, too. The author has a real attention to detail, and can write very well. The author's writing style fits the story, and it's pace is something that is perfect for this story. The characters are very well developed, somethin
Monica
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Death Of A Young Lieutenant by B.R. Stateham is a crime mystery novel that keeps you on the edge of your chair while you turn its pages over and over. The story is set in a threatening and racking WWI setting.

And, to make matters worse a member of their English squadron is a murderer,creating overwhelming tension and distrust among the soldiers on the front line.

Personal revenge,murders to members of the British high society and profitable but illegal business of art forgery are connected to the
Eddy Wu
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gritty fast paced story from beginning to end, with two fascinating subplots, on art forgery and detective stories. The story involves truthful recreation of WW1 background, though not wasting too much time on battles which is irrelevant to the plot. The suspense of finding and apprehending the murderer is intriguing and carefully planned out.

Cristina Z.
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Jake Reynold is an extraordinary character, endowed with a skill set of unique qualities that get him out of trouble. Much like James Bond, he is a pilot, an adventurer, a soldier, a thief, a forger, and a spy.

With his charisma, wit and sheer luck, he steals a van Eyck painting from under the German army's nose and gets aways unscathed in plain war. He has actually managed to steal several original famous paintings and replaced them with excellent forgeries.

He's a unique character, to the point
Richard Cox
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Derring-do and detection amid the slaughter of WW1

A rambunctious, galloping, murderous and amusing novel of espionage, theft, high art, and caricatures of four of the First World War nations’ personnel. Some writers take you by the hand and lead you through the plot: this author grabs you by the goolies and whisks you away on a wildly fast flight of adventure.
Our hero, and Captain Jake Reynolds has all the attributes of that, apart from the expected bevy of ladies (but he makes up for it with fa
Bob
Mar 17, 2011
Trestle Press
Nov 12, 2011

• With Her Fists
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • Crazy-Ass Stories For Crazy-Ass People
  • Of Myth and Shadow
  • The Hunting Party
  • Rags of Time
  • A Time of Green
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • The Mentor
  • Prophet's Journey (Prophet of the Badlands #1)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Our House
  • Slow Down
  • Sángre: The Color of Dying
  • Murder in Montague Falls: Noir-Inspired Novellas by Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton & Patrick Thomas
  • The Girl Who Found the Sun
I am a seventy year old writer of genre fiction. And yes, my portrait was used in 1931 for the original design of Boris Karloff's Frankenstein (well, maybe I'm stretching the truth just an itsy-bitsy bit).

I write hardboiled/noir. And fantasy. And someday . . . someday I plan to make a buck two ninety-five doing it. But I'm not holding my breath.

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...