Start by marking “How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator” as Want to Read:
How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator

How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator

Are you bilingual? Have you ever dreamed of the freedom of working for yourself? Are you already a translator or interpreter, but would like to be earning more money or managing your business more efficiently? If so, let How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator show you how to achieve your goals. Written by a certified translator who built her own freelance translation ...more
Published 2006 by Two Rat Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator

Start your review of How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for beginning translators or just as an overview of the profession. Back when I could remember the languages I actually learned (before losing them due to not using them) I had thought about becoming a translator. This book made me realize I still wasn't ready at that point, but it still remains a great book for those who may be at a sufficient proficiency level for translation/interpretation work.

The beginning of the book has an introduction that explains why one would want
Carrie Asagiri
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guía muy interesante y práctica sobre cómo encarar el trabajo como traductor freelance. Si bien varios consejos y cuestiones son de más utilidad si se vive en EE. UU. muestra cómo funciona el panorama de esta profesión, y cómo encarar un negocio independiente con la misma.
Recomendable para todo traductor y estudiante de la carrera que esté considerando iniciarse en la profesión o buscar un rumbo más personal en la misma.
Dana
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very practical guide with lots of common-sense advice.
Timothy Gregory
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her book, Corinne provides excellent advice to people just getting started in their career as freelance translators. Much of this advice will seem simple to translators who have been in the business for several years, but they are not necessarily her target audience. Even so, she provides excellent advice about calculating your desired rates, the information to include in a translator's resume, and non-traditional places to seek direct clients (rather than always working only for agencies). ...more
Ahmad Hossam
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very informative. It is written mainly for U. S. based translators and some chapters can be skipped if you're not one, but the rest is excellent. My favourite parts are the ones that address translator resumes and methods of collecting due payments, and certainly the most useful tip is to market extensively.

It would have been priceless to read if I read it 2 years ago when I started my career as a translator.
Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥
This is a very interesting book with many useful tips if you want to start working as a freelance translator
José Lucas Araújo
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While it is kind of hard to give a true review about a field of expertise I'm no expert, I can say that from the perspective of someone who wants to become a translator and doesn't know enough about the do's and don't's and even on how to start, and from this perspective the book is really good. It has direct facts and experiences from the author as well as some common events that happen in the life of a freelance translator. While the book doesn't explore some deep problems in this industry, ...more
L
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very, very detailed about the industry of translating. Despite being an easy read, it's actually quite dense. Though some of the information is outdated it still provides a lot of good websites and resources.

Even though I'm at the stage where I'm just kind of musing about it, this really gave me a great idea of the translating business and and concrete examples of how to start/operate as a freelancer.
Gabriel
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good, but it feels mostly like general guidelines for any kind of self-employed occupation. It doesn't have any information that you can't surmise yourself from a translation degree or just by talking to a translator or even by doing some basic research.
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thorough overview for beginners.
Haya Tamimi
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book if you want to be a translator but didn't go to translation school
Andrew
A useful reference for business aspects of being a freelance translator such as suggestions and examples for writing cover letters, invoices, how to build your business, recommendations for CAD software for translators, Rate sheets, tips for dealing with clients, tax information, etc. Chapter 8 on Translation tools is very useful, discussing the pros and cons of various software programs for translators, so you can make a better researched investment in translation software.

Do not get this book
Katy
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very readable and informative guide as to what to expect and what needs to be done in order to do what the title describes. A lot of the advice is quite obvious but still, I found it useful to be reminded of it, and there are definitely some aspects I hadn't considered before reading this book as well as a lot of useful links. I found the advice in the following quote quite surprising (and therefore useful!): "If you would like to find four to eight agencies that will become regular clients, ...more
Grazyna Nawrocka
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: translation
The software changes so rapidly that book from 2007 is already outdated. That's why I couldn't rate it at 5 stars. The information about running the business, dealing with non-paying clients, managing time and resources is priceless. I'm glad I've had an opportunity to read this book. I already know what questions to ask at the beginning of the project, how to assess if I have enough time for translation, how to deal with invoices and payments. There are good tips about taxes and incorporating, ...more
Antonio
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy and complete guide for those who want to become a freelance translator and did not know the world of businness. I've a degree in translation and i miss a lot that part of businness: vat, rates, clients, website, etc. Thnks to this book, I know now the basics for beginning in translation world. Even if you can find the information a bit repetitive, it's a good way to keep the important things in mind.
Teresa Carbajal Ravet
Great resource book to have on your shelf along with your other small business resource texts, reference books, dictionaries, etc. one can and will be referencing this book throughout one's freelance career. Only chapter missing is the one on writing a business plan as step one in launching a small 'freelance' business.
Stephen Bruce
Quite comprehensive, covering everything from setting up a home office to using computer-assisted translation. That means that some of the advice will be obvious and some of it irrelevant, depending on the reader. Some of the material is out of date (does anyone still use rolodexes?). Still, I found it quite useful both as an overview and as a reference.
Ruben
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This book is a good resource for anyone considering translating words in exchange for money. It's hard to gauge the effectiveness of her advice, but she certainly provides plenty of resources and helps the reader to see what's involved in professional translation.
Sadie Hall
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Corinne's book is wonderful. I received my copy as part of the Getting Started as a Freelance Translator online course. It is encouraging and informative, and the writing is a pleasure to read. Straight-forward advice served up simply. Must read!
Halah .
It's good as a reference for translators.
Kate Dampalan
Jan 24, 2016 is currently reading it
great
Jessica
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read if you're thinking about becoming a freelance translator, or have already started on that journey.
Beth
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very useful guide on setting up a freelance translation business. I wish it was longer and more detailed, but I guess you can't have everything.
Lei Gao
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Very practical. Some parts are not applicable to English>Chinese translators but definitely worth reading for a novice freelance translator.
Ruri Gokou
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good information, and nice reference links. But being written in 2006, this book is a little dated.
Pascale
Aug 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
The title of this boring book says it all.
Tony Canas
Very interesting. Answered a lot of my questions about an industry I'm interested in using for a side income.
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great tips and well written but v US centric
Monica
Feb 08, 2009
Tori
Jun 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Tagebuch eines Killerbots (The Murderbot Diaries, #1-4)
  • また、同じ夢を見ていた
  • The Drowned World
  • Exploring Translation Theories
  • Her Name in the Sky
  • The Prosperous Translator
  • Las cosas que perdimos en el fuego

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Translation work involves knowing not just the structure of the language to be translated, but the cultural framework
that surrounds it.”
2 likes
“Translators need a lot of skills besides fluency in at least two languages; translators need to be excellent writers in their native language and need to be interested in and skilled at terminology research using both paper dictionaries and the Internet.” 2 likes