Start by marking “Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1 (Asterix, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1 (Asterix, #1-3)

Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1 (Astérix #1-3)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  446 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The three stories that started it all -- gathered together in one beautiful volume!

Asterix the Gaul introduces us to our indomitable hero and his friends, who try to defend one small Gallic village from the surrounding Romans. In Asterix and the Golden Sickle, he, Obelix, and Lutetia try to buy a new sickle for Getafix. But somehow the sicklesmith has disappeared without
Published October 18th 2011 by Asterix

To ask other readers questions about Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix Omnibus, vol. 1

Tim Roast
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book combines the first three Asterix adventures into one volume, thus it is the ideal place to start if you're new to his stories.

The first is Asterix the Gaul which introduces many of the themes that follow in the following 30-odd books: the premise of a Gaulish village resisting against the might of the Roman army; the Romans getting a good biffing from those villagers whenever they attempt to take it; Asterix's craftiness; the magic potion as produced by the druid, Getafix, that gives t
Tom Darrow
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read Asterix in Britain dozens of times going back to my childhood and have a lot of great memories reading that book. I'm not 35 and got this collection of the first three Asterix books, none of which I have read. The stories are somewhat formulaic, but fun nonetheless. They appeal to both younger and older audiences. Children will appreciate the colorful drawings, likable characters and easy to understand dialogue. Older readers will appreciate the puns in the character's names and amusin ...more
Suhailah Iskandar
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finito
Vol 1 omnibus, done! the invasion of the Goth and their creatively funny name like Rhetoric, Metric, & General Electric... really love the part when Obelix blurted Ave By Jupiter to the Goth just because he doesn't speaks Goth... well.. good laugh and looking forward to Vol.2
James
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because De bello Gallico, juvenile humor, Latin grammar jokes, and bad puns (the antagonist in the first volume is a centurion named Crismus Bonus). I've meant to read Asterix forever. I was finally prodded to do so by a review in Confronting the Classics . If I were an upper middle-class tween from an earlier generation (one that, like a young Mary Beard, might have had a little Latin under the belt by middle school), these would be hilarious. For the pickier, somewhat more grown-up reader, the ...more
Khairul Hezry
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The first three Asterix books. Great stories (brings back memories) but I'm not giving it full marks because at this stage the artwork was still rough and Uderzo hasn't settled down with the "look" of the characters. That only begins in Asterix and Cleopatra I think. In this first omnibus, the three stories collected all revolve around the druid Getafix and his secret potion that gives super strength for a little while to anyone who drinks it. Hilarity and bad puns ensue.
mairywo
Eine Kindheit ohne Asterix? Erinnerungen ohne Asterix? Ein Leben ohne Asterix? NEIN![return]Der kleine Held meiner Kindheit hat endlich auch Einzug in mein Bücherregal erhalten. Nachdem ich die Bücher jahrelang immer von meiner Mutter auslieh, habe ich sie mir selber auch gekauft damit ich sie wann immer ich will lesen kann. So ein- bis zweimal im Jahr...[return]Ausserdem war er der Beginn einer grossen Begeisterung für Comics.
Samuel
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, translation
Very enjoyable funny read with very good installations. Goscinny and Uderzo were very cleaver in making the different nationalities (only Gauls, Romans, and Goths in this volume though). It can be a bit difficult to read because unlike several American omnibus graphic novel collections each part is about 50 pages.
Tyler
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun, hilarious read, and I just found out there cartoon movies for it. If you're a fan of looney toons, Tom and Jerry, or just any old cartoons in general, this will be an enjoyable one. I cannot wait to jump into the rest.
James Elkins
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
While I have been aware of Asterix for years, but this was my first foray into reading this classic European comic. This was alot of fun, great art, more puns than I'm comfortable with but other wise, it's easy to see why this is a classic and beloved series.
William Clemens
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so great, who doesn't love puns? Well...I ghuess many people don't, but I do, and do druids apparently.

The artwork is bright and vibrant and the humor is well crafted I can now see why kids like these so much, but I think they also stand up pretty well for adults.
David
I bought a copy the moment I saw this. Read it during my schooling days and I loved it back then. Still loving it after re-reading this. If I see another omnibus for Asterix and Obelix, I'll probably get them too.
Phil
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as funny as I remembered from being a kid, but still nice and nostalgic.
James of the Redwoods
Love this series!

My editions are all in English. Looking for the Latin translations.
Veronica
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Asterix volume I have read, and I enjoyed it!
Christie Skipper Ritchotte
Liked it, but notmyfave.
Diego
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining.
Gavin
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh. Took me right back to my childhood - by Toutatis!

Now I'll be buying the rest of these omnibus editions.

Rick Davis
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, old-fashioned Gallic fun!
Yudha
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eachtimes i turn the pages,i laugh my a** off,my body feels like every cell has been renewed and regenerated.
overrated?
prove me wrong!
Brad Kennes
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of nostalgia reading through the first 3 stories. Looking forward to the others.
James Miller
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Golden Sickle is excellent and stuffed with weak puns and excellent Latin gags (parsing fancy is a favourite). The other two are also good fun.
Hafiz Prasetya
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun fun fun fun
Lelyana
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalo Asterix bacanya entah beberapa kali. Samoe bukunya lecek dan akhirnya di bundel supaya gak ilang2an. Komik terkeren sepanjang masa setelah Tintin.
Ian
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorably appealing art, lackluster story.
Jana
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Amusing, funny, great for children and adult also.
Derrick
Sharon Martin
Feb 17, 2018
Lance Balius
May 14, 2013
  • The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 4: Red Rackham's Treasure / The Seven Crystal Balls / The Prisoners of the Sun
  • Im Morgengrauen. Unheimliche Geschichten (Skeleton Crew 2 of 3)
  • The Silver Pony
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 17: Tattoo
  • The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade
  • Luke Cage Noir
  • The Sky Over the Louvre
  • From Hell Companion
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 17: 1983-1984
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)
  • The Goon, Volume 4: Virtue and the Grim Consequences Thereof
  • Gus & His Gang
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 1: The Fugue
  • The Museum Vaults: Excerpts from the Journal of an Expert
  • Private Eye The First 50 Years
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny

Astérix (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Arcadia
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)