Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself” as Want to Read:
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself

The path to your professional success starts with a critical look in the mirror.

If you read nothing else on managing yourself, read these 10 articles. We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles to select the most important ones to help you maximize yourself.

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself will inspire you to:

- Stay engaged throughout your

Published January 3rd 2011 by Harvard Business Press (first published December 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself

Start your review of HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself
Peter House
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the essays in this book might be ones that any regular reader of HBR might have read before such as, "How Will You Measure Your Life?" or "Managing Oneself" but I would encourage anyone to read this book. There's a lot of tips and tricks that even if one has read an essay before, might have gone missed or might need to be picked up again. While it may seem that this book is something that seems to be directed at executives, this is a book that should be read by high school students, ...more
remi d
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pick what works best for you. Some stories will resonate more with you than others. In my case, 2 out of 10 did.
Atul Maheshwari
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The need for managing one's self is creating a revolution in human affairs." Peter Drucker (1999)

This collection of articles by HBR is excellent! The article authors leave lasting impressions upon the reader in terms of ways to self-manage.

It is so appropriate that the first chapter On Managing Yourself is written by Peter Drucker and the focus is on knowing yourself. "One cannot build performance on weaknesses, let alone on something one cannot do at all." You need to understand your
Steven
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _own-audiobook
The article about monkeys and delegation is worth the price alone....loved it.
Said AlMaskery
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
A critical book for self realization and improvement. It captures the fruit of proper academic research on self management.
Dragoljub Ignjatović
I found some articles extremely valuable, others less so. Definitely a useful read
Zainab Al-Sammak
If you read a lot of self development books, you do not need to read this one. It serves as a good reminder, but no huge benefit out of it. Maybe, I was having high expectations since its from HBR.
Roger Royse
Some good tips, but mostly theories, presumptions and platitudes from a group of contributors who have never had to meet a payroll.
The  Conch
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Wish to read Peter Drucker brings me to this book. It is collection of articles published in HBR. Few best articles are:

1. Managing Oneself - To manage oneself is need to know types of one's self such as what is one's strength, giving importance on the strength and increasing it day by day, to know whether one is reader or listener and loner or team worker and decision maker or adviser etc.

2. Management time: who is got the monkey? - Here monkey means responsibility. Often subordinates or
Lee G
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of really good stuff in here but some that has more to do with managing others than managing yourself.
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Sid
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a set of essays curated by HBR to give insights on being a good manager, being a positive influence on others, overcoming obstacles and living a balanced life. My favorite essay was on How Resilience Works. This 3 step process includes, facing down reality, finding meaning and continually improvising. Another fascinating essay was titled Moments of Greatness. We all have faced challenges either personal or professional, at one point in our life. It's important to remember how we overcame ...more
Usman
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gives great insight and perspective on how to be efficient, productive and live a fulfilling life.
Alikhan Oitan
Has a lit of insights worth reading if you are manager or business owner. However as a student I could spend my time for books that better suit my needs.
Tess Huelskamp
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick collection of essays detailing ways to improve your professional and personal lives.

"Management Time: Who's Got the Monkey?" is well worth reading for the insight there alone. After being challenged in "Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life", I'm going to implement a small life experiment. There were a few other essays in this book that are strong (but not as revelatory as the other two).

I'd recommend this to anyone looking to improve their work/personal life. Solid all around
Vicky
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the first time in my last year of college. The articles were not too long, not too short, and to the point. Instead of preaching career success it focused on how to maintain your well-being. Without a solid internal value system and viable tools to manage negative energy, even successful careers are meaningless.
I bought the audiobook and listen to it everyday on my commute. It's a great way to start the day. :)
Matias Myllyrinne
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of truth and insight. Interesting and quick way to read ten views on the subject. Yet feels like in 2018, many of the “insights” are common practice in the games industry, at least in Finland.
Reezali Raharjaya
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People say you can only choose one realm of your several realms in life, choosing your work or your social life. That's wrong based on this book. Completed with how to, makes this book as the right choice. Looking forward to grabbing other HBR's 10 Must Reads series.
Alina Dandara
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as much or even more as I’ve enjoyed this edition. All the information is pilled up in useful and relatable/applicable schemes for upgrading our work efficiency and company contribution.
Ben
Another good series of articles and essays on management, leadership, specifically about Managing Yourself, your time, your resources, and your life in and out of work. Two articles: "How Resilience Works" and "Primal Leadership" were in the HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence which I had just read.
Sun
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed by this book. I thought it would be a collection of complex ideas and new solutions, but it is only a handful of dated articles, only a couple of which gave me any novel insight.

The introduction "How Will You Measure Your Life" is the best chapter and deserves a star to itself.

"Managing Oneself" is a classic article with the humorous idea of managers getting stuck with problem "monkeys" and offers some practical examples of how to empower the managed to solve their own
Alok
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the articles in the book are by the management gurus with in-depth insight into all aspects of personality be it professional, personal, psychological, mental and all the other facets of human behaviour which makes a person interact externally with all other entity or with self to evaluate and understand oneself. The articles encompasses all the elements of a individual and what needs to be done to change in the positive direction. All the articles have a common thread of:

1) Donot stop
Mike
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading HBR is much like talking to your Mother - the pithy wisdom you've heard many times before, but somehow seem to often catch yourself not doing.

This set is starting to get dated with several of the articles showing their age. "Always use a PDA to write down everything..." for example, which can throw one off a bit. For the audiobook version the starting summery, then the stories then another closing summery can make the book very repetitive in a way the written format wouldn't be as you
Anshul Thakur
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ...more
Dylan Campbell
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished one essay. Evidently I'm on the verge of an energy crisis. Good so far --
Wade Anderson
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alvin
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ideal for personal development. I like the chapter on energy management.
Michael Chow
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first want to give thanks to my sister for suggesting this book to me.
"If we expect a different outcome by repeating the same action over and over again, that is called insanity." This book really hits the spot with me with this sentence.
I remember when I worked in industry, often times people asked the same question over and over again. I often joked and said: "as if my answer would change the millionth time." However, when I read this sentence in the book, it dawned to me that I have been
Julie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, self-help
I have reached the point in the year where I am looking for short, easy-to-read books to help me meet my yearly reading challenge goal. This was one of those books. It is a collection of 10 articles from the Harvard Business Review. The articles are of varying quality and they don't break any new ground. I read a lot of academic pop psychology and, to me, many of these articles seem like they force well-known positive psychology concepts into a framework where it is all about improving business ...more
Nirmal Gharti
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. How will you measure your life by clayton M. Christenson

*More and More MBA students come to school thinking that a career in business means buying, selling and investing in companies. That's unfortunate. Doing deals doesn't yield the deep rewards that come from building up people.
Allocate your resources

*Your decision about allocating your personal time, energy and talent ultimately shape your life's strategy.

Article 2 Managing Oneself by Peter F. Drucker

*Manners-simple things like saying
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Leaders' Book Club: Buddy Read - HBR's 10 must reads on managing yourself 1 9 Jul 23, 2018 06:29AM

• HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • On Emotional Intelligence (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Mental Toughness (with bonus interview "Post-Traumatic Growth and Building Resilience" with Martin Seligman) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Teams (with featured article “The Discipline of Teams,” by Jon R. Katzenbach and Douglas K. Smith)
  • Dealing with Difficult People (HBR Emotional Intelligence Series)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads for New Managers (with bonus article “How Managers Become Leaders” by Michael D. Watkins) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • Managing Up (20-Minute Manager Series) (20 Minute Manager)
  • HBR's Must Reads Boxed Set (6 Books) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategic Marketing (with featured article “Marketing Myopia,” by Theodore Levitt)
  • Emotional Intelligence: Empathy
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Making Smart Decisions
  • Palto - Burun
“Like employees, children build self-esteem by doing things that are hard and learning what works.” 3 likes
“Put yourself where your strengths can produce results.” 3 likes