Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History

The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

Fascinating, fact-filled writing that delivers hundreds of years in the life of the European continent Terrific supplementary reading for AP History students

Paperback, Second Edition, 464 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by Alpha (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History

Yasmine
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got it for my AP Euro class and ended up liking it so much I didn't sell it. Easy to understand, a decent amount of detail, and good information. Would suggest this to someone who just wanted to brush up on random parts of history.
Horia Bura
A good and well written synthesis of the history of Europe, addressed to the passionates of history, less to the specialists. The author manages to compensate the narrative loaded with information through small jokes or even ironies, most of them funny, showing that history can be written in a relaxed, fun style (without being superficial), so that the reading is both pleasant and useful.

Unfortunately, as a Romanian, I can not repress a sense of disappointment about my country's almost nonexist
Wendy
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book gives an extensive overview of European history and is a great guide to use to study for a class or for anyone interested in history. You get a lot from it even if you just randomly flip through it and read the various sections. I like the overview it gives of the the progression and role of religion in the European countries. The subtitles in the sections are humorous and candid, like: "The naughty Netherlands," "The Worms diet and its undesired results," "Might makes might right, ri ...more
Emily
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if there is an insult worse than Complete Idiot, but maybe that's the version of the book I need. It was a decent book, but I had the same problem with this that I had with other European History books; namely, that all the kings and wars seem to blend together and it's hard to keep them straight. But this was good for answering some basic history questions that I had from our trip to Europe.
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished reading The Complete Idiot’s Guide to European History. The book was good and helped me get a very high-level view of the history of Europe from 1337 up until 2010. I recommend it. Its blatant weakness is the lack of images or maps to help the subject matter sink in.

In any case, here is a summary that I wrote after reading the book. It is very much inspired by it.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great source of information. I learned a lot from this book and like it's casual but informative tone. However, I'm not a fan of the author's non-inclusive language. Given that this book was published in 2011, I'm surprised and disappointed that the author continuously refers to 'man', 'mankind','Frenchmen' etc.
Nikki
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I took my time with it and found myself doing additional internet searches on the information covered in it. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about European history. I think it would be helpful to anyone studying the subject, as well.

Thank you very much to Goodreads Giveaways for this great book!
Chris
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Did a great job of filling in all the blanks that were left by my schools' poor history programs. A real eye-opener for me as to the influence of The Church in Europe during this time period.

My only complaint was a lack of sufficient maps, which would have helped my understanding a lot.
Shishir
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent synopsis of various changes from 1300 - today (2011) Covered middle ages, new world, revolutions (political religious scientific Agricultural ) enlightenment rivalries wars …
Tanya
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was pretty helpful as an overview for my European History class. Plus I'm an idiot...
Tao Chen
  • World History For Dummies
  • Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition
  • Irish History for Dummies (For Dummies)
A twenty-year educator, Nathan Barber has served in a number of roles including teacher, coach and administrator. As a writer, Barber has produced several classroom guides for teachers and much online content for test-prep companies. Barber also has written and published thirteen books, mostly in the field of education. His most recent project, an innovative new book for teachers from Routledge/Ey ...more
More about Nathan Barber...