Start by marking “Rebellious Desire” as Want to Read:
Rebellious Desire

Rebellious Desire

An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Of all the dukes in England, Jered Marcus Benton, the Duke of Bradford, was the wealthiest, most handsome--and most arrogant. And of all London's ladies, he wanted the tender obedience of only one--Caroline Richmond.

She was a ravishing beauty from Boston, with a mysterious past and a fiery spirit. Drawn to the powerful duke, und
Published January 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published June 1986)

steph
2.5 to 3 stars.

Should have really paid attention to the year this book was written (1986!) because dear god, the alpha male hero and the feisty, different yet still sensitive and sweet heroine made me want to throw this book against the wall at some points. In one scene, heroine gets pushed down the stairs and her bodice rips and her hair comes all undone and the FIRST thing the hero does is assume she was with some other man. And in another scene she is accosted by another man at a party (not t
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Another great story by Julie Garwood, and while I really liked it, I didn't love it.

Bradford was one of, if not the most annoying, of all the Garwood heroes. Dare I say, even worse than all of the Highlanders put together.

But it was still a fun read.
MelaDWolf
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4stars!

I started with reading this book on the beginning of the week. Because I have paperback, and Julie Garwood can make my day, this one was read-on-class-when-bored. I could probably sit down, and read it in few hours, but then what would I do, when I'm bored in school. Trust me, this was first time that I was happy about boring classes.

Julie Garwood can't write bad book. I don't know if there is something in her blood or what, but her books always make me happy.Every book that she wrote
Carolyn
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Now I remember why I always only give this four stars. Jered is an ass.
Chitra *CJ*
So, midway through it I realized this was a Julie Garwood book..And it was a shock.
After being used to the likes of Alec, Ian and Broderick- the bar was set so high that Bradford was a grave disappointment.
I'm all for insta love and obsessive heroes- but being blinded by jealousy, having major trust issues, overbearing, arrogant and asshole are something which makes a hero non alpha and a total dbag.
To be honest, the book frustrated me. I wanted to shake Caroline for giving in every single time,
Jessica
2.8*s really. I read everything Julie Garwood writes, but some of her older books just irritate me. Like this one. I realize that it was a pattern in historicals written in the 80's, to have the female protagonist get walked all over. But after establishing all the strengths of the character, she gets all walked over and just figures she has to take it until the guy comes to his senses. I hate that. And I really hate that the author never has this male lead accept responsibility for his being a ...more
Sruthi
I would have given it more stars, but I had such high expectations I felt cheated. Ohh It was all very good,alright. Just that I was disappointed.
Varied Books
Apr 07, 2017 marked it as on-kindle-to-read
4/7/17 sale 1.99.
Gogol
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think if you're going to write a historical romance set in England, you need to get at least, a few things right. The farthest historical period that Julie Garwood can imagine seems to be 1950's America. The book was really awful. Not only the historical and cultural aspects were jarring, but the hero is such a Douche bag.

Julie Garwood can write, she creates the flow, and her characters come alive, and can, at times be even entertaining, but she's sloppy with everything else.
Anne
Jun 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is the first book by Ms. Garwood that I have read. A blog I read recommended this author, so I found this book, which looked promising to me, at my local library. Honestly, it sat around awhile as I read a couple of amazing books I had been waiting for (talkin’ ‘bout the super talented Tessa Dare here). I was at a place I was ready to read this book and was very excited to do so. I cannot fully express how awful this book is compared to what I usually read. There was no flow, the characters ...more
Cheesecake
Jered/Duke of Bradford and Caroline. This one takes some patience with the hero. I considered DNFing it, he was such an unloveable ass. But he had his reasons (stupid ones as usual...). The mystery was actually pretty good!
Caroline has grown up in America after the death of her mother. She is self sufficient and confident and not easily impressed. When she reaches a marriageable age, her father requires that she return to England. And so she heads out with her cousin Charity, and their servant/b
Donna
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
An early work of Garwood's that I picked up for .99 on Amazon. I'm a little torn about this one. I enjoy her writing style, and the characters she creates feel real. The story arc is good, including the mystery that's part of the plot. The only thing I really disliked are the hero and heroine.

Caroline starts the book as a self confident and assertive woman, who in the opening scene, single-handedly foils a carriage robbery with a combination of daring, quick thinking, and fine shooting. Then she
Michelle K
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read, historical
Jered Marcus Benton, the Duke of Bradford and Caroline Richmond's book.

I enjoyed Rebelious Desire. I particularly liked how Caroline and Bradford met. The carriage hijack of his friend Brummell was well written and I felt the immediate connection between Bradford and Caroline. I was hoping that Brummell would play a bigger part in the story because it was even more enjoyable when they later met at one of the balls.

The little mystery that was added in the story was a little blan. It wasn't very
Laura V.
Él la aborda sexualmente rozando la violación. La besa, la manosea, aun cuando ella no quiere, y él sigue de todas formas porque quiere tenerla a pesar de sus objeciones. Parece que ella no puede decidir al respecto. Es asqueroso.

"Al advertir que él no parecía dispuesto a detener su tierno asalto, Caroline se alarmó todavía más.

Después de eso, ni valía la pena continuar. Brandford es un personaje bastante desagradable. Lo peor es que yo compré el libro y no pienso terminarlo.

Eso nos deja una en
Sue
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read in 2012, when I was reading anything written by Julie Garwood. It's quite good, but I can't rate it a 5. She has other books I give that rating to and unkindly I'm rating it against that group.

An American daughter of an Earl is transported and raised in Boston till her 20th birthday comes home.
Julianna
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Author
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" Rebellious Desire was Julie Garwood's second historical romance, and like its predecessor, Gentle Warrior, it was originally published for the Tapestry line of romances. Because of this, the book is a little shorter than her others that she wrote later, and I could see where it was lacking in both character and plot development. I also thought that she still showed signs of the novice writer at this point in her career, so I didn't enjoy this one as much as so
Katherine 黄爱芬
Sejak kanak-kanak, Caroline sudah dirundung ancaman dibunuh, bahkan hingga kepulangannya ke tanah airnya, Inggris. Hanya saja kali ini dia bertemu dan akhirnya menikahi seorang duke yg temperamental, Duke of Bradford. Diantara badai ancaman pembunuhan, kecemburuan diantara mereka berdua juga bergolak mendidih yg menyebabkan Bradford terpaksa menyingkirkan Caroline ke desanya.

Novel ini luar biasa membosankan, repetitif-nya benar-benar keterlaluan sehingga saya merasa seperti anak SD yg baru diaja
Tarsis
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
Es bastante gracioso. Ellos se conocen en una noche cuando ella ayuda a uno de sus amigos a recuperarse de un ataque de unos bandidos. Ella lo está apuntando con una pistola, y lejos de intimidarse por el hecho de que él la apunte a ella, lo desafía. Hermosa, femenina y educada, una mujer de armas a tomar que hace que el Duque de Bradford pierda la cabeza desde el primer momento que la vio.

Lo gracioso de ésta relación es que ella no cede, pese a que él le gusta. Él tiene que luchar por ella, ju
sandra spiece
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It

Very fun and fast moving. I loved the back and forth dialogue of the 2 main characters. Couldn't put it down O read it in one afternoon
Nyra
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para muchas lectoras que conozco, el nombre de esta autora es sinónimo de excelencia en historias románticas. Pues lo certifico, porque luego de leer este primer libro me ha parecido muy agradable y entretenido. Tal vez no sea nada del otro mundo, pero es una historia muy bien contada y, a mi modo de ver eso es lo más difícil de conseguir estos días. He disfrutado los encontronazos entre los personajes principales, pero sobre todo las características de cada uno.

El libro se desarrolla en Ingl
Jen
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julie-garwood
Caroline Richmond killed a man at 4 years old. She doesn't remember but for her safety her father sent her to live with his brother in Boston. Now, Caroline has returned to England, determined to find her cousin's fiance and reconnect with her father. On the way to her father's home, Caroline, Charity and Benjamin come across a stranger that has been shot and is being threatened by bandits. Caroline manages to save the stranger by shooting the gun out of the bandits hand. Once the bandits disapp ...more
Mel
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to admit that I am sincerely disappointed. I love Julie Garwood. I did NOT love this book. To be honest... I don't even remember the main character's names. That being said, while I enjoy a book about a brooding, arrogant male, I was not a fan of the Baron or Earl or whatever he was. He just treated his woman as though she was a 'play thing'. It aggravated me. The girl, again... I can't remember her name... Kate? Lizzie? Whatever... she started the novel as though she was this strong inde ...more
Kristal
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
To quote a friend: "I wish this book had a face, that way I could slap it."

I have read almost 200 historical romances now and this was by far the worst of the lot. Not only was the writing atrocious but the plot was paper thin. As if those that wasn't reason enough for me to dislike this book there was also the two lead characters who were just plain unlikeable. I thought the heroine would be interesting as we open up with her as a pistol toting badass but somewhere between chapter 1 and 2 she
Wench
The historical inaccuracies. The insta-lust. The character inconsistency. The OH NO SHIT THEY CONSIDER THEMSELVES SISTERS. The Boundaries McTrampler, "I don't care what you want", "allow me to stalk your ass" hero.

The last is what did it for me. NOT ENOUGH NOAP for that guy.

Also the fact that in ONE THIRD of the book, all that had happened was the above. Mystery plot? Nah. Melodrama? OH YES.

Look. I know it's cheap. Skip it anyway.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Caroline Richmond was raised in America by her aunt and uncle. Now she has returned to England and is on her way to see her father after so many years of separation. She encounters the Duke of Bradford after she rescues a man whose carriage was stopped by robbers. Later they meet again while attending a ball.

Like many of Ms Garwood's novels, the story is filled with delightful banter and a wonderful cast of characters and put together in an enjoyable and entertaining manner.
Kathleen
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-historic
I loved the beginning, but disliked the ending, because Jered was an idiot. One of the worst Garwood heroes. The only Garwood historical I liked less than this one is The Wedding, because Conner was dense.
Katie
Apr 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, romance
This book was so poorly written that I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Coco
Can not believe i once liked this book...........
Bradford is the world's biggest asshole and Caroline loses her backbone after the first 15 pages.
No just no!
mad4rombks
Price drop. $1.99. 4/7/17.

Re-read October 24, 2014.
Re-read January 11, 2016.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Regency romance book. [s] 8 43 Nov 26, 2017 06:38AM
Let's Talk About ...: Rebellious Desire 21 26 May 25, 2013 03:43PM
Goodreads Librari...: page numbers 5 62 Dec 02, 2011 06:20AM
  • Say You Love Me (Malory Family, #5)
  • Rendezvous
  • Lord of Falcon Ridge (Viking, #3)
  • Wicked Angel
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
“Being attractive should have nothing to do with being accepted. It is what is inside a person that matters,” 1 likes
“Anger and hate are destructive emotions and neither will change the facts.” 0 likes