Start by marking “The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)

The Bride

(Lairds' Fiancées #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  55,198 ratings  ·  2,377 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood, whose novels have enchanted millions of readers worldwide, comes a breathtakingly romantic novel about a mismatched young wife and husband who, despite their differences in background and temperament, fall inexorably in love. The Bride sweeps readers back to the savage beauty of medieval Scotland....

By the king's edic

Published May 21st 2002 by Atria Books (first published July 1st 1989)

·  55,198 ratings  ·  2,377 reviews

Start your review of The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
*** 5/19/19: On sale on US Amazon right now for $1.99***

This is one of my ALL-TIME TOP FAVORITE historical romance books.

I actually have the pink flowered paperback version - which was released in 1989 - and I think I first read it when I was 12 years old...in 1995.

description

Let's just say that my Dad had NO idea what he was buying me lol.

description

There, there, Pops. There, there...

I had had to get my sexual educational from somewhere, right?

LOLZ.

Anyway, I am mentioning this now because I just snagged the kind
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Lady Kincaid Stars

photo 8506973_zps5cjrevzw.gif

The Bride is the first book I have read from Julie Garwood and I loved it. I loved the set up, the plot, and love Jamie and Alec! I love me some sexy Scottish highland romances and this one was great. From the start Alec shined. He was so sexy, cocky and 100% bad ass Scottish warrior! But what I loved most about Alec was he had a tender side. Don't get me wrong though Alec could be damn ruthless when he needed. Jamie had me laughing. She was the perfect blend of sassy, br
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I'm not feeling very literate today, so I am going to compose this review around a list of reasons why I loved this book.

Reasons Why I Loved The Bride by Julie Garwood

1. Jamie is a great heroine. Okay, she might have some Mary Sue-ness going on, although I hate using that term. She is really gorgeous, very nice, oh-so sweet, great at pretty much everything, giving, and self-sacrificing. However, she's totally loveable. For me, that's the opposite of a Mary Sue, because Mary Sues are characters
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

15%! ... And here we goes for the fastest DNF of 2016! (what do you mean I'm not supposed to celebrate)

Before buying an historical book, go check the period of time of the story, would you? Truth is, I started hyperventilating when I saw that little England, 1102 written at the top of chapter one.

Why, you ask?

Because there's no hiding behind the fact that these times weren't women rights friendly and that I, for one, don't enjoy reading about girls being sold to some OMG-a-bulky-highlander!
Kristen
Huge 5+ Stars

I loved this book. It's one of those feel good stories that leaves you smiling for days.  If I was to sum-up this book with one word, "delightful" comes to mind.  I honestly can't think of a better word to describe the experience I had while reading it.

Jamie has become one of my all time favorite heroines. Julie Garwood has a way of writing heroines that are strong willed without becoming annoying (hard to do in my opinion.) Jamie's one of the most endearing character I've read. Sh
Danielle
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

Highlander romances never really appealed to me, well, because I like my men in pants. The whole kilt thing just doesn't do it for me, but I have to put that aside, or I'd miss out on a lot of great gems like The Bride. And the great thing about books, is that I can just imagine he has pants on. . . or not.

These highlander stories are always brutes whisking women away (willingly or unwillingly... I might prefer the latter) to their Scottish castle, and I can pretend I'm a damsel in distress with
EmBibliophile
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

I love how simple and addictive Julie Garwood’s writing is! Her books are just so easy to read, they totally suck me in to the point of being unable to put them down.

This was such an enjoyable HR that includes arranged marriage between an English woman and a highlander, a sassy heroine with a brave spirit (She’s the best! I really liked her), funny banter, and a little mystery to spice everything up.

I’ve just finished binge watching the whole five seasons of outlander and now I’m findi
Stacey is Sassy
Geez, that was bloody brilliant.

I love a story that can distract me from my surroundings so much that I can burst out laughing...you guessed it...on the train. Oh well, it did bring a smile to the face of my fellow passengers.

Julie Garwood, teaming up with Rosalyn Landor, made The Bride one of my very favourite re-read/listens.

**********

The Bride audio was everything I was hoping for and more

Julie Garwood is the reason I love reading romance. I started reading her books at the tender age of 1
*TANYA*
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
I had been wanting to read this book for years, and I finally got to it, it was WONDERFUL!!! I love Highlander type books and this one has got to be one of the best EVER!!! EVER!!! Lol. I'm so excited right now.
NMmomof4
3.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: I enjoyed this one! I rarely say this, but I floved the h! She had all the character traits that I enjoy to read about. Sadly, I didn't connect to the H as much. He was enjoyable at times, but for the most part I feel like we didn't get a full glimpse into who he was supposed to be behind the tough exterior. I wanted more banter between them! It seemed like most of the banter was lost on miscommunication or them not understanding each other's sense of humor....and that
Jilly
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
It really sucked to be a woman in the 1100's. Yes, it was much better in the 1200's. Oh wait, never mind. Well, it's better now. We can't be sold into marriage or bartered by our fathers. And, for some reason the king of England was playing Cupid and forcing couples into marriage. That is what happened here. A loser guy doesn't pay his taxes and as his punishment he has to give two of his daughters to some Scottish men to marry.

Hmmm, and this punishes the man how? I mean, daughters were chattel.
Julie James
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd rate this 3.75 stars (or whatever a B minus rating would convert to).

I wanted to love this book because it's a favorite for so many readers, but couldn't quite get there. There were several parts that made me smile, like when the heroine wears black to her wedding, and when she dumps water on the soldiers who are making fun of English women. And the ending was great, with the jewels. (I won't say more for spoiler purposes.)

My main problem connecting with the book lies with the heroine, who
MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger*
All the stars!

This is one of my all-time favorite books, and I re-read it often! It has every single element I enjoy in a historical romance (or any romance, for that matter): Fast-moving, interesting plot; fun and likeable characters; steamy goodness... and this one delivers across the board - TRIFECTA!

Jamie is the youngest daughter of an English baron who has been ordered to allow 2 Highland lairds to select brides from his 4 daughters. While Jamie is the baby, she is actually the daughter who
Mo
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I MUST SAY SAY THAT I LOVED THIS BOOK….. will get back to proper reviewing soon! AFTER MY ROAD TRIP TO IRELAND ....xxI

Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

It's always nerve-wracking to read a romance that's considered by many to be a "classic" and is beloved by many - especially when you're an individual whose literary tastes often go against the grain. But THE BRIDE went on sale for Kindle and I bought it, and then it was voted as our December book of the month in my romance book club, so it seemed like I was destined to read it.

I haven't read a lot of Scottish romances. The only one I've
chan ☆
tried again for a video and no... just no.
Jayne
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
(from my book blog)

Some of you may remember that I had an ambitious (for me) TBR list that included two SRS books, and The Hunger Games. It will surprise none of you that I made it through The Hunger Games before I decided that was enough heavy shit and people dying. I decided it was time for some lighter fare, or at least a book that didn’t prominently involve death. Enter The Bride by Julie Garwood and its 172 5-star reviews on Amazon. Because apparently the fanatically positive reviews for Sh
Ronyell
Now as you have noticed, I have been reading many historical romance novels lately and some of my favorite types of historical romance novels have to deal with Highlanders since the men in those novels are ultra sexy! Well, Julie Garwood’s “The Bride,” is definitely no exception and it was the first book that I have read from romance author Julie Garwood. “The Bride” is surely one hot romantic story that will set your romantic senses afire!

By order of King Henry and King Edgar, the strong and mi
NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}
What a charming story was that!!!

Really, guys!!! That book caught me by surprise...
I'm used to read renegence historical romance and this medieval was my first, but i enjoyed it very much.
I won't lie to you. In the beginning, i was a little bit lost, but then the storyline captivated me...
No, no, no... I don't think that it was the story only...
I really loved this couple and especially Jamie...
She made me laughing all the time with her actions...
And she manage to make the cruel, wild warri
Duchess Nicole
"Did you get a good look at her, then?" he added in a rush.
Alec nodded.
"You'll be taking her with you, won't you?" The Kincaid stared at the old man a long minute before answering.
"Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me."

An absolute must read for any Garwood fans! Quite simply a treasure of a historical romance. If you can get ahold of the audio, this is one of the better narrators I've heard as well. If not, the story stands on it's own, a masterpiece set in the Scottish Highlands.

This is t
Mili
Aug 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I have to say I was disappointed by this book. I love Julie Garwood and she is a wonderful author but this just didn't pass muster. The story it self was just fine, it's the characters that bugged me to no end. The way the characters were written was very confusing because at the beginning you are miss lead that the heroine is a strong and independent woman who is capable and smart, yet a few chapters later and a few conversations with her and all those descriptions are tossed out the window and ...more
Karen
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Listened to the audiobook. The narrator was excellent with her accents, but I found her to be just a tad bit too dramatic. It took a little while to get used to her.
Ingie
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Kathleen
4,5 sparkling Stars - for a fun and really entertaining sweet historical romance

This romance is both sweet, romantic, a little silly and very funny. It's predictable but so very charming and well done that I stuck completely in the cute trap. A story that made me smile and feel so good - a perfect "feelgood" to read for all lovesick romantics.
“Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me." The choice had been made.”
~ ~ ~ ~
Gi's Spot Reviews
4.5 'Untamed' Stars

This was my first Julia Garwood, and one of the few historical sovereign read so far and it got me hooked on her style and characters!
This couple was absolutely perfect! They captured me from the very start. Interesting and dynamic, steamy hot and banter filled, The Bride really had everything I look for in Romance
For me, her family situation, and even the feel of some scenes and attitudes really was reminiscent of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, one of my all time favs.
On
CC
Julie Garwood is my all time favorite historical romance author. I have been binge re reading her books on audible. Don't plan to write much by way of reviews since there is plenty already out there. But feel free to ask questions.

My caution to my safety gang buddies. Get yourself in a "historical romance" frame of mind before reading. Almost all of them have widower manwhores matched up with virgins. Or a very young widow matched with a manwhore. But almost all JG books are insta something and
Vintage
Heroine is a medieval Mary Sue that looks like Elizabeth Taylor with the nursing skills of Florence Nightingale. I liked her anyway.

Fun romp with a stalwart, hunky Scot that’s not as tough as he thinks and the almost perfect heroine who is redeemed by her temper and sense of humor. Hard to add to what other reviewers have already said.

The characters are four star enjoyable, but abandoning the story line of her bratty sisters and needy stepfather dropped it to a 3 star. I wasn't crazy about the r
Lisa Kay
Photobucket
★★★★★ What can I say about this story other than a classic Julie Garwood book still delivers? I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read this one; thought I’d try the audiobook this time. The narration, by Rosalyn Landor, brings this book to life. I’ll be seeking out more of her audiobooks.
Esther
Reread!!!

Sigh, how I miss these beautiful and wonderful romances by JG.

Always makes me feel wonderful and leaves me with feels for days after.

I reread this one again and again.
Ari Reavis
2.5 Stars

photo 18655886_zpszafv1hps.gif

This was a disappointing read. Maybe my expectations were too high because I love me some arranged marriages. But Alec quickly and swiftly sent my expectations tumbling wayyyyy down. Now a little bit of brute in a man is sexy, but he was just an utter a**hole who had me shaking my head most of the book wondering...
 photo 20073079_zpsfhjrdxh7.gif
When he wasn't thinking or saying this..
 photo 19325690_zpsejrciu2z.gif
He was thinking or saying this...
 photo 19325693_zpsarovdush.gif
Or sitting around with his friends saying...
 photo -GJMy1nI2pVx_zpsmumvly8u.gif

And when he wasn't getting on my nerve
Lakshmi C
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read Jan 2018 Still 4 stars

The Bride was as good as a double gooey chocolate brownie. It was captivating, witty and absolutely perfect.

I loved Jamie and Alec for themselves and as a couple. Alec was an arrogant warrior with a tender heart, Jamie was quick, feisty and relentless. Both of them were engaged in a battle of wits and wills, I was grinning through most of it.
Both of them are smitten but their bond evolves at a realistic pace. No insta love or mind numbing longing in this one.

The sto

• A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa

Lairds' Fiancées (2 books)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Get in the mood with our list of the top 100 romances of all time. We narrowed the field by limiting our results to books aimed at...
“My wife."
"By what name is she called, Kincaid?"
"Mine.”
94 likes
“She still hadn't caught on. Alec sighed. "Change your gown, Jamie, if that's your inclination. I prefer white. Now go and do my bidding. The hour grows late and we must be on our way."

He'd deliberately lengthened his speech, giving her time to react to his announcement. He thought he was being most considerate.

She thought he was demented.

Jamie was, at first, too stunned to do more than stare in horror at the warlord. When she finally gained her voice, she shouted, "It will be a frigid day in heaven before I marry you, milord, a frigid day indeed."

"You've just described the Highlands in winter, lass. And you will marry me."

"Never."

Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.”
67 likes