Start by marking “The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

The Wedding

(Lairds' Fiancées #2)

It's a classic plot: a marriage of convenience that lays the groundwork for true love.

1119. Journeying from England to Scotland to wed a highlander, Lady Brenna had resigned herself to the arranged match. But when a band of fierce, painted warriors captured her en route, she fearlessly met their demand to marry their leader -- the quick-tempered laird Connor MacAlister.
Published January 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published December 31st 1995)

Start your review of The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
While I liked this one too I didn't like it as much as the first one. The heroine was just to much of a push over trying to please people and it bugged me but other than that a cute read!
Jilly
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheesh, it sucked to be a woman back in these days. I know, I say that a lot. But, it really really sucked to be a woman back then.

First, her father basically sells her to be married to some asshole they've never met and the father only tells her hours before she is sent to her new husband that this will happen. She'll never see her family again, has no idea what to expect, and is sent on horseback to journey hundreds of miles to get to the guy.

Ha! She should be so lucky as to have it this
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
So it happened... I found a book by Julie Garwood that I didn't love. Not that it was bad, it was just not up to par with the other Garwood books I've read.

The Wedding starts with 10-year-old Highlander Connor MacAlister promising his dying father to avenge his death by finding out and killing the ones who betrayed him. This promise basically defines Connor's whole life then and determines the course of his actions throughout the story. 16 years later, Connor's quest for revenge makes him steal
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of medieval historical scottish romance, and exceptional heroines
The Wedding managed to make its way up into the ranks of Garwood books that earned a five star rating. Why? Because this book took me from laughing hysterically, to being angry enough for my blood pressure to shoot up (or so my throbbing temples testified to), to being so sad I wanted to cry. Also, it's just darn entertaining.

I've read many, many romance novels in my thirty-some years, and Julie Garwood has a way of writing singular heroines, like no other author. On first glance, they seem too
Stacey is Sassy
Yep, still loved it. If anything, I enjoyed this listen more than the first time. I feel like I need to watch Braveheart again to get my Scottish Hottie Fix. Saying that maybe I should move with the times and watch a wee bit of Outlander.

Love getting my Julie Garwood fix.

**********

Loved it!!

Seriously, you can't go wrong with a Julie Garwood historical and it's bloody good to know that the same applies to her audios as well. At first, I struggled a little with the narrator's accent but it did not
Al George
Deliver me from witless heroines and ignorant heroes.

shaking

Considering this a bodice ripper for my Year Long Historical Romance Challenge. One of the hardest categories for me...I shall admit it.

Series: I believe it is.

Sexy times: Meh.

Plan on reading more by the author: At times I consider it. After this one? meh.

Synopsis: Skipping this. I know you are all capable of looking at the publisher synopsis. And really, what else do I have to add but meh.

Heroine: Brenna. Good lord. This woman. No real
Kristen
2 stars

Looks like I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy this book. I had high hopes to start but ended up disappointed and frustrated for most of the books.

I found "The Wedding" frustrating, wearisome, and confusing at times. There were some funny and endearing parts, but those moments soon gave way to frustration again. I also had a devil of a time trying to connecting with these characters. I didn't hate the book but I certainly didn't like it either.

I'm not sure why this story didn't sit well
Elfina Renee
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ahhh can't say enough how majestic and real Scotland feels. Julie Garwood's vividness brings this beautiful country into our homes and imagination. I swear at times I wanted to string Connor MacAlister up by his short hairs. He's rude, assholish, manipulative and a jerk, another words a typical man. When he forced Brenna to give up the memory of her family and childhood possessions her siblings had given her, I could have strangled him on the spot. But yet the high handed highlander was special, ...more
Lakshmi C
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really loved The Bride and was really disappointed by The Wedding. 2.5 stars

The book gets 2.5 stars because :

1 Brenna tried to be clever to get her way. I say tried, because it didn't happen as often as I expected.

2 The scene with the wedding vows. I hope the book had more banter and a defiant Brenna.

She will honor me, protect me, obey me only when she believes Im being reasonablebut I shouldnt hold out hope that that day will ever cometry to love me before shes an old woman, and Id better get
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Bride followed by The Wedding are, in my opinion, Garwood's best work. If you are new to Garwood, these 2 books are a great place to start.

Julie Garwood is different than most of the romance authors that I read in the fact that I find myself loving her heroines even more than her heroes! I usually read romance novels for the larger than life men they ususally come with, but Garwood's Ladies steal the show.

In The Wedding, Brenna is one of those "show stealers". This character is so
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Julie Garwood at her finest. This is probably one of my favorite books of all time. I loved Brenna and I LOVED Connor. I think I've probably read this book 50 times. I wish Garwood still wrote like this.
KatieV
This was a good mix of camp and serious. Definitely darker than The Bride, but still contained Garwood's wit and humor.

Poor Brenna goes through it and a lot of it is the hero's fault. He doesn't actually treat her cruelly himself, but he's very tied up in his vengeance plots against another Laird and leaves her to the crappy in-laws from hell. Also the enemy Laird does a terrible thing that really upset me. (view spoiler)
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Another beautiful read with such emotional moments I cried and laughed so many times. I would have liked more happy times before the epilogue but it was still one of couldn't put down. Connor and Brenna had such a tug of war going on yet it just worked. He was so stubbornly ignorant that it was actually endearing to see him realize his love and that he's stronger for it not weaker. Big rough, stubborn, arrogant and egotistical alphas.. They seem to be my weakness especially and only if they are ...more
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
I quite adore my highlanders. Untamed, brawny, kilted- they have this unique uber hot quality ah canna resist! And Julie Garwood does a fair job presenting them. Her The bride was beautifully done with a surly H brought to heel by a sweet innocent and giving bride.

In this sequel, she does it again. The premise and tone is the same in this one and the start was very promising. I love an abducted bride and a forced marriage do, and these two have a sweet history and are not strictly strangers. As
Autumn
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance readers.
Recommended to Autumn by: anja
ohh.. It was a good read alright!! :)

I have to say that i favor the themes where couple is married from the start,and make it work out. It eliminates some nonsense, specially from historical.

This book is the second installment of the Laird series. I enjoyed the The Bride,but i felt this books was much more thorough, hence more satisfying ending.

I loved the way Garwood developed this characters;we had enough information on both of them from their childhood.which makes the plot a notch more deep.
Steven Walle
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I shall give an entire review at a later date. I do highly recommend it however.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: v-card, historical
4 Stars

These books are hit and misses with me. Overall, I did enjoy this one, but towards the end, I was getting kind of tired of the story (its a REALLY LONG book) and skimmed the last 20%.

I liked the tone and feel of this one, but its not my favorite. I didnt agree with the way the Hero treated the Heroine at times and I kind of wanted a stronger Heroine.

But you get all the feels, you get the virgin bride that didnt know she was getting married. You got the protector Hero and fighting
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yet another book with an unattractive title that hides a wonderful and rich story.
I loved Brenna. She is right up there with Penelope from Penelope and Callie from Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake as far as my favourite heroines from humorous historical romances go.

Here you'll find silliness and a lot of funny moments. However, there is a bit of drama, seriousness and ugliness too to balance the story out. And The Wedding is a perfect blend.
Connor's past and his father's legacy had
Jamie
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5... didn't love this one as much as the first in the series. It was ok .. I was just never really able to connect with Brenna and Connor as a couple; I didn't feel an overwhelming chemistry between them. Still a cute read and Brenna was hilarious at times. It was a cute one.
Dawna
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
My favorite line of all time:

"Nay, lass. Conner."

Mindy Lou's Book Review
Connor is a Broody hero full of vengeance out to slay his father's killers. Brenna is a sweet, but somewhat scatterbrained heroine who ends up in the crossfire between Connor and his enemy. It doesn't take long for Connor to fall under Brenna's spell after first meeting her.

This had the fun banter this author is known for between the main characters. I loved their very first meeting they had when Brenna was so young. The first book was a bit more fun but I think that's because there were more
Rowena
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Re-read (Oct 2019): Still just as good as I remember. I still hate Raen and Euphemia just as much as I love Connor and Brenna. And I'm STILL waiting for Quinlan and Faith!

It's always fun to read this book. Brenna was still an awesome heroine whose forgetfulness is adorable and not incredibly annoying. Connor was just as stubborn and bullheaded as the other times that I've read this book but it still worked for me. This is one of those books that just doesn't get old. I can read this book over
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing but still my favourite Julie Garwood book is Honor's Splendour. Nobody can beat my Duncan. (^_^)
Jo

Lady Brenna was in the Highlands because her father got her an arranged match. However on her journey, a fierce group of highlanders (painted like they were going to war),say she is going to wed her leader, Connor.
Connor reminds her that she did asked him to marry her 3 times and that he is finally accepting. A bold move for a women of that time,right? Lets just say that she was a toddler when she ask him, barely not remembering that she actually did it.
So in order to save her fathers soldiers,
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
4.5 Stars!

I love this series! The inner dialogue of these characters is hilarious. We have a great heroine who does not conform to the demure, obedient female mold of those times. A dominant highlander male who is exasperated with his wife's antics but loves, treasures and protects her above all else. Just fantastic! Still not better than The Bride though.
Leigh
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, historical
The Wedding was another enjoyable read but I did enjoyed book 1 more. I found Connor and Brenna exhausting. Connor was cold and Brenna tried so hard to please him that I was frustrated for more than half of the book. The second half was a lot better but I do wish we were able to see a little more of Connor's softer side.
Kenny Danewitz raveh
It was a nice read but after reading 2 books of this author in the past it kind of felt like I have read this one before, the books seemed alike and it wasnt interesting enough for me. ...more
Amanda
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just imagine. It is the early 12th century in the Scottish Highlands and you've just had a row with your husband, your very new husband. He's taking off for an undefined amount of time and doesn't even bother to say goodbye. You whisper your adieu to him and you take your leave, heartbroken, feeling unwanted and alone. As you walk up the hill, you suddenly feel the ground shaking and others are rushing to get off the path in front of you. Before you can face the impending danger, you are plucked ...more
Debbie DiFiore
Wonderful

I think I read this month ago but I didn't remember it so well and I loved it. The heroine was pretty amazing and the hero was swoon worthy. I love that name Connor. I love how Ms. Garwood writes her secondary characters. They are so real to me. The villains even, and in this case, Quinlan, Crispin and Father Sinclair. They were so entertaining. I loved how protective they were of the heroine.

The story about the piglet and the first time she met Connor was priceless. And then when she

• A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • Highlander Most Wanted (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #2)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • Devil of the Highlands (Devil of the Highlands, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the

Lairds' Fiancées (2 books)
  • The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)