Start by marking “Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)

Mercy

(Buchanan/FBI #2)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood takes readers from New Orleans' exclusive Garden District to the backwoods of Louisiana's mysterious bayou country in an unforgettable novel of passion and suspense that cuts straight to the heart.

When esteemed Justice Department attorney Theo Buchanan is struck ill at a New Orleans gala, Dr. Michelle Renard works fast to
Published August 5th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy, please sign up.
Michelle Can be read as stand-alone.. I'm pretty sure I read Mercy before I read Heartbreaker
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardAfter the Night by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareNaked in Death by J.D. Robb
Best Romantic Suspense
1,870 books — 2,542 voters
Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighThe Darkest Hour by Maya BanksUnlawful Contact by Pamela Clare
I Love A Man In Uniform
1,473 books — 1,467 voters

More lists with this book...

Vicki
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mercy by Julie Garwood is such an elaborate story of lies and deceit, murder and trickery. I loved every minute of it. The story starts with meeting the sewing club. A group that is working to skim funds any way they can to reach their financial goal. Once they reach the goal, then they will divide the money and disappear. They had no doubt they could pull it off.

When John's wife becomes to annoying for him, he arranges with the others to hit someone for a mercy killing. They find out it is a c
Lisa Kay

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I’ve never heard a performance by Christina Traister – and it is truly a performance she gives – but this won’t be my last time. She was fantastic! Ms. Traister does a wonderful job on the southern Louisiana Cajun accents. I am sure they would be much thicker in Real Life, but they do need to be understandable on audio.

I really felt Michelle’s father came alive in the audio, much more than on the printed page. Before, when I just read them, I didn’t ap
Cyndi
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I love Julie Garwood! In this book we have a little girl in the Bayou who grows up to be a brilliant surgeon. And we have a lawyer who has lost his passion. In the middle of their love story is murder and mayhem.
A really good book, but skip the audio. The narrator tries to do a Cajun accent and fails. Bless her heart.😁
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
 photo 8cdb74d1d46d3c0f6862ec7e621338ee_zpsrjdgpveg.jpg

I'm revisiting one of my favorite Julie Garwood series, I've forgotten how much I love Michelle "Mike" Renard and Theo Buchanan. Such a great read! The narrator Christina Traister for this book does a fantastic job!

photo PicsArt_1507945250245_zps32ax7qpb.jpg

I'm not going to write a detailed review since there are many great reviews posted here on Goodreads already. But, I will say I loved this book!!!

*Originally read: June 2011
Kathleen
4.5 stars. What a happy surprise! This one felt almost like the old Julie Garwood, writing her Highland Lairds, even though it's set in the present time in Louisiana's legendary bayou -- gator and gumbo country. Most of the action occurs in Bowen, a tiny swamp town. Descriptive setting.

This book's got Garwood's signature sense of humor and some of her most heartwarming characters. The attraction simmers. There is only one main plot line, so the story felt tight, not meandering (as with some of h
Jane Stewart
Well done romantic suspense. Engaging characters. Neat things happened.

I read the physical book a few years ago and just now listened to the audiobook. It was great. I didn’t want to stop listening. I had forgotten some of the events, and I’m glad because it made the current read better - not knowing.

I loved what Catherine did for revenge. I loved the first scene that John Paul was in -- what an intriguing character. Suspense was good. And no stupidity.

AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR:
Christina Traister did
Jonetta
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Michelle Renard returns home to her hometown of Bowen, Louisiana to open a clinic for the small town. Weeks earlier, she had met Theo Buchanan, a US Attorney, in New Orleans when she performed an emergency appendectomy on him that saved his life. He decided to take some time off after his recuperation and took her father, Big Daddy Jake, up on his offer for some great fishing. Though not willing to admit it, he had more than fishing on his mind. His timing couldn't have been better since som ...more
Chitra *CJ*
"Mercy" is the second book in the Buchanan-Renard Saga and the story of Theo and Michelle/Mike.
When Justice Department attorney Theo suffers an appendicitis attack during a party, his life is saved by the redhead surgeon Michelle. However,dazed in excruciating pain, he "thanks" her by clocking her face and vomiting all over her new Armani dress.
She operates on him, & during his recovery, he realizes is attracted to Mike. Soon he meets her father and is invite to visit their small town of Bow
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in Julie Garwood's Buchanan/Renard series. Theo Buchanan, an attorney for the Justice Department, is in New Orleans, attending a charity black-tie affair, when Dr Michelle "Mike" Renard sees him and notices he is not feeling good. So she goes up to him to see if she can help him and he promptly throws up on her and tears her $400 dress. What a way to make a good impression! LOL. Well, while in the hospital, Theo meets Michelle's dad and gets invited to the small town of Bowen, LA ...more
Amanda
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYone
I really enjoyed this book, it's about Theo Buchanan the brother of FBI Agent Nick Buchanan from book one Heartbreaker, and god was it ever funny. The banter between him and Michelle (Dr. Mike) Renard were priceless. Oh and good lord could you get a better character than Big Daddy, well there was Noah and Noah to me is a priceless character, and I greatly enjoyed seeing him again. I found this book and to be intriguing and thrilling, but what really made was the humor and the love story. I liked ...more
Splage
I listened to this as an audiobook and it was a great listen. It had very endearing characters with sweet chemistry. Also the plot was strong and it kept my interest as well as gave me a few laughs. I am not a huge romantic suspense fan, but this Garwood story I would definitely recommend.

The narrator did wonderful job with both Boston and Cajun accents. She was very easy to listen too.
Wendy
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/Romance lovers
This is my favorite of the Garwood Suspense books. Theo is definately my hero. I love the way he reacts to the situation in the Louisiana backwoods. Michelle and her family are great. Their crazy personality's and the local element have you laughing, but the hot tension between Michelle and Theo is terrific. A Great book!
MBR
4.5 Star Romantic Suspense

My first taste of Julie Garwood came in the form of her historical romance The Gift, which I received as a birthday present from my sister. Instantly hooked onto her style of writing, I remember trying to frantically get my hands on each and every published book by Ms. Garwood. My first encounter with her contemporary romances came from this very book which in the end turned out to be my favorite contemporary romance from her till now. For me, Mercy has got it all, an
E Wilson
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I didn't much care for this. I was not familiar with the author and thought it was
a mystery. Instead, it was a romance and a disappointing one at that. The heroine, Mike, was
very smart (she's a doctor) very beautiful (of course) very kind and altruistic (she's
going back to practice in her little dinky old town). The hero, Theo, is handsome,
smart (he can take down the unscrupulous owners of the local mill between breakfast and lunch) , kind and altruistic (he will use his own money to buy a fenc
Lisa Jo
Mercy by Julie Garwood is an amazing and thrilling read with a heartfelt romance at it’s core. Exciting and passionate, this a romantic suspense novel you’ll kill to get your hands on!

Justice Department attorney and Boston native Theo Buchanan is at the highlight of his career. While waiting to give a speech celebrating his recent success, he passes out only to be saved by the gorgeous doctor Michelle Renard who ends up performing his emergency appendectomy. When Michelle’s father invites Theo d
Cheri
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Lots of action, mystery, and a little romance. Great storyline!
Jewel

It started really well and interesting, I thought that I was going to enjoy it more, but it started getting real slow for me once Theo got in the picture.

There was so much of Theo and Michelle just hanging around Bowen. I was like come on, where is the action.

And then at the end it kinda speeded up a bit and then I couldn't stop reading it.

I was a bit disappointed with how Michelle's intelligence was handled, as you read you don't really see it, it was like she but it all into becoming
Carrie
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
There wasn't much about this book I didn't enjoy. The characters were truly likable, with both of them coming from decent hard-working families instead of some tortured past. The suspense plot was well-done and kept me guessing on a few things. I thought Michelle was a little stubborn, but there were no "big misunderstandings" in the plot. I look forward to the next in the series about Michelle's reclusive brother, John Paul.
Sheila
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Girl meets boy. Boy throws up on girl and ruins her very expensive dress. Boy needs surgery. Girl does surgery. ♥♥ L-O-V-E ♥♥. There is also someone else out to get her as well for what they think she knows or has. Good story. I give it ★★★★'s.
Antonella
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I get how this series work.

Gun wearing hero.
Insta love.
Long legged heroine. Who is so beautiful but doesn't know it of course.

One main criminal/mystery story and one minor.

I already picked up next one because I was intrigued with the hero who is side character in this book.

Will I continue with the series after.... I really don't see the point...

Copy / paste ....same pattern.
Sana Zameer
A complex story of murder, deceit and revenge, told in beautiful prose by Julie Garwood.
Didka
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 *
Brianda
Ok, now I DO wanna be a bitch. Waste of time and money. The author definitely should stick to historical romance.
Alex
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
The second installment in the Buchanan series by Julie Garwood, Mercy is even better than the first. Theo Buchanan is an attorney for the Justice department, and isn't a shoot 'em up guy even though his brother's FBI and he's now required to wear a gun as protection against the mob bosses he just put away. Theo is a workaholic trying to forget past mistakes which has turned him into a bit of a dry stiff. His family is worried about him as he's pulled away from them, but after falling sick at a p ...more
Thenia
Theo Buchanan, workaholic brother of Nick from Heartbreaker, gets his own story.

Having ignored pain for a while, Theo collapses at a gala he was supposed to give a speech at, only to be saved by Dr Michelle Renard, a very attractive prodigy from Bowen, a small Louisiana town, that happened to be close.

Grateful for her assistance and otherwise restless with his life, Theo decides to take a few days off to visit Bowen and thank her in person and go fishing.

A matchmaking father, danger that threate
Ursula
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, romance
After literally falling into the arms of Dr. Michelle Renard, Justice Department Attorney, Theo Buchanan travels to Bowen, LA to thank her for saving his life and take her father up on his offer to go fishing. Unfortunately, instead of relaxing, Theo ends up protecting Michelle from a killer while trying to locate a package that may have the clue to why someone wants her dead.

MERCY, Julie Garwood's second contemporary thriller, is an action-packed, page-turner filled with lovable characters and
Graeme Stuart Waymark
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-2014
I really enjoyed this book, it is not a typical light plotted beach-read novel. The characters are as large as life, crafted with a professional pen and an author's humor. One could not get a better character than Big Daddy, the veritable "Mayor" of hick town Louisianna near New Orleans. From coaching a football team to emergency surgery in a backdrop of crime, scam, intrigue and wonderful twist that most readers would have even thought a twist was necessary or was coming - but it made the novel ...more
ErinReadsTooMuch
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Set in a podunk town in the bayou of Louisiana, the cadence of speech and sayings were really fun. The author went to the trouble of making the people of this small town likable, and delved into what a tight community small towns can be. You're not just seeing a bunch of rednecks living in the swamp. You are seeing kind and generous people. Though they may not have a lot of money, they will still cook for you, and they have their pride as well. It helps when an au ...more
Lindsey
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great mystery! 2nd in a series and it surpassed the first novel.

the chemistry between michelle and theo was just right. the curve ball thrown by a murder victim (posthumously) changed the game for the murderers and drove the story. there was one big surprise for me, revealed at the end, that taught me that in a mystery one should assume nothing (talking about Dallas, here - and you'll know what i mean, if you've read it too)

i'm happy i read this one. i may go on in the series, i liked it that m
Laura V.
Me encantó!
Me encantan las historias que ocurren en pueblos pequeños, y este es genial.
En el libro anterior el pueblacho de Laurant no me convenció, pero este tiene un encanto en sus raíces que enamora. Está genial que Theo haya visto su potencial.
Estoy medio enamorada de Jake Renard, ese hombre es tan lindo.
Le pongo 4,5/5 porque todavía no compro el paquete de Me-siento-enamorada-a-pesar-de-haberlo-conocido-ayer, pero la relación de ellos es muy divertida, entretenida, simpática, sus idas y ve
Let's Talk About ...: Mercy (Buchanan-Renard #2) 15 36 Dec 14, 2014 03:12PM
Let's Talk About ...: Mercy Group Read for August 4 8 Aug 13, 2013 08:48PM
Let's Talk About ...: Mercy (June Group Read - Spoilers) 51 18 Jun 24, 2013 07:22AM
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Hot Night
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2)
  • Next to Die (SEAL Team 12, #4)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa

Buchanan/FBI (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Heartbreaker (Buchanan-Renard, #1)
  • Killjoy (Buchanan-Renard, #3)
  • Murder List (Buchanan, #4)
  • Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5)
  • Shadow Dance (Buchanan-Renard, #6)
  • Fire and Ice (Buchanan-Renard, #7)
  • Sizzle (Buchanan-Renard, #8)
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Sweet Talk (Buchanan-Renard, #10)
  • Hotshot (Buchanan-Renard, #11)
“The surgical nurses were right. Theo Buchanan was gorgeous.. and sexy as hell. But none of that should matter. She was his physician, nothing more, nothing less.. His hair was sticking up and he needed a shave, but he was still sexy. There wasn't anything wrong with her noticing that.. unless, of course, he noticed her noticing.” 21 likes
“Take pride away from a man and you might as well run a knife through his heart.” 13 likes