Start by marking “Candy Stripers” as Want to Read:
Candy Stripers

Candy Stripers

Bonnie Schuyler let herself be talked into joining the Candy Stripers. As a junior aide at the Medical Center, she lightened the heavy work load each regular nurse had. But she sometimes wondered why she was there--she didn't plan to be a nurse; it was hard work; she didn't especially like helping other people. One day she met David, a technician who was interested in a ho ...more
Library Binding, 191 pages
Published by Julian Messner (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Candy Stripers, please sign up.
Kimberly No but I was 58 when I read it - however it did lead me to know again that I'd made the right choice, a long time ago when my grandmother, a nurse, as…moreNo but I was 58 when I read it - however it did lead me to know again that I'd made the right choice, a long time ago when my grandmother, a nurse, asked me if "didn't I want to become a nurse?" No thanks, not my cup of tea. :)(less)

Start your review of Candy Stripers
StMargarets
OMG Remember Scholastic Books? This was a title I bought when I was in fourth or fifth grade. I read it over and over again because – 3 channels, no internet, I loved to read.

I found a print copy of this on the donations rack and I had to re-read it yet again. Written in 1958 and released by Scholastic Books in 1970, this is a definite time capsule - but also a good story.

Bonnie is 15. Summer is looming without her best friend, her boyfriend, or any trips to their New Jersey shore house. Her ne
CLM
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Leaving a doctor's appointment recently, I was quite startled to see a notice indicating that my local hospital has candy stripers! Had I known that when I was a teen, who knows but I might have signed up and my whole life might be different. Of course, it is quite a trend now to go to nursing school as a second career, and I have several friends either doing that now or about to start. I think I have enough career changes and degrees at this point . . . ...more
Stephanie A.
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hardly have words for this adorable vintage perfection. Sweet, innocent, uplifting, it was just a breath of fresh air after a steady grind of modern YA. I was completely absorbed in her little summer world. I just wish there were sequels!
Michelle
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Such a cute story! I was a Candy Striper when I was a teenager. I didn't find romance, but I enjoyed my time spent at the hospital. ...more
Krista
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
I read this book in sixth grade. Girls read this one. Boys read a book that I believe was called Hot Rod. Sigh.

I really did like Candy Striper. It was one of the books that I looked back on fondly. My father was a doctor so it was great to see into hospital life.

Sure, it wasn't accurate but it was thoroughly enjoyable.
Ginny Messina
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
So delightfully dated! And I believe that I got this from Melody through Paperback Swap, which makes it that much more fun.

This is a great peek at what it might have been like to be a Candy Striper in the 1950s. It sounds like it was fun and rewarding. And those pinafores were very cute.
Lisbeth Solberg
YA fiction from another era when brightly painted fingernails were the sign of a bad girl and making a bed without hospital corners was an act of rebellion.
Gabrielle S
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was cute. Bonnie was a realistic teenager.
Jean
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So in my efforts to rid my place of clutter, I am rereading some of my old fave paperbacks from my childhood that are still with me after over 40 years. I read this book at age 11 and loved it, since I was planning to go into nursing. I actually was a Candy Striper for two summers in the early 70's and wore the white blouse with the pink striped jumper, along with white pantyhose and NurseMate shoes. Remember those?

The original edition was authored in the late 50's and is a reflection of those t
Lauren Dubin
I was 10 years old at the time when I read this book and knew that I wanted to work in the medical profession. I had seen older kids work as candystripers (female) or cherry reds (male) at Kennedy Hospital in Philadelphia. My mother suggested that when I get a little older *you had to be at least 14 years of age* to become one. And I did summer of 1973. It was the time of my life. I had a ball. I knew that I wanted to work in the medical profession. I never did become a nurse but I have worked o ...more
Wendy
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
It's always, always irritated me that the flap copy as quoted above says "she'd never be a nurse"--Bonnie never thinks or says any such thing, except at the beginning when she tells her mother she just wants to be a Candy Striper. Later, she thinks about being a nurse or a technician or a doctor. Pooh to you, flap copy writer! ...more
Natalie
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is really exciting. Now when I grow up I want to be a candy striper also.
Helen
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for kids in grades 6-10, or so! It is a good introduction to the responsibilities inherent in volunteer work. It introduces hospital work. It has a realistic story of a crush on an older boy. Especially good for kids interested in possible medical work in the future!
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, cataloged
teens
Kimberly
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read three coming of age books at one time (on my lunch break, alternating reading one a day) - I read Luckiest Girl, Candy Stripes (Lee Wyndham) and The New Lucinda (Grace Kisinger). I loved them all. Young girls, all about the same age, experiencing a "big" change in their world. If you like to read several similar books at the same time I would recommend this set :)

Candy Stripers is a really interesting book - of the three it was the one that I thought that I'd enjoy the least, but I was wr
Macjest
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, did this bring back memories. I read and re-read this book so many times as a kid. Bonnie is 15 and stuck at home during summer vacation. Yes, she comes from a fairly privileged background. They have a tennis court and also have beachfront property. This year her best friend moves away and her father has to rent out their beach house to help out the budget. What to do? Her neighbor suggests volunteering at the hospital. Bonnie decides to do it and her world view changes. Some parts of the st ...more
Jill
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M
Jul 31, 2019 added it
Shelves: read-years-ago
Explosion, candy striper has to help
Denine Nina

• The New Lucinda
  • Boychiks in the Hood: Travels in the Hasidic Underground
  • The Midnight Bargain
  • Hooked: Food, Free Will, and How the Food Giants Exploit Our Addictions
  • The Julian Chapter (Wonder, #1.5)
  • Merry Christmas from Betsy
  • Station Eleven
  • Franny and Zooey
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • The Brownie Scouts in the Circus
  • West Along the Wagon Road, 1852 (American Sisters, #5)
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • That Hideous Strength (The Space Trilogy, #3)
  • Blueberry Summer
  • Jean and Johnny
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • The Sign of the Beaver
Jane Andrews Lee Hyndman (December 16, 1912-March 18, 1978) was born in Russia and came to the United States in 1923 where she became a U.S. Citizen. She was the daughter of Andrew and Alexandra Levchenko. In 1933 she married Robert Hyndman (pseudonym Robert Wyndham) and they had two children. Lee Hyndman was educated in both the United States and in Turkey where she studied singing and painting. ...more