Start by marking “Angelo” as Want to Read:
Angelo

Angelo

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
High above the rooftops of Rome, Angelo begins his work restoring the façade of a once glorious church. As with every project, he starts his final masterpiece by clearing away the years of debris left behind by the many pigeons who nest in the nooks and crannies of Rome’s great architecture. There, among the sticks and feathers, he discovers a wounded bird. Finding no safe ...more
Published April 30th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Megumi Shavers
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is a picture book and is for the age group of P and above. This author did not win any awards for this book. This book is about a man who finds a wounded bird while doing some construction work and take in the bird to help it get better. The bird and him creates a deep bond that develops into a friendship. I do not like this book for a couple of reasons.One the plot was confusing and two with the illustration it seems like too much was going on. I really wasn't sure what the story was ...more
Annie Combest-friedman
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very sentimental story about an old man named Angelo and a bird. The bond that formed between them was sweet and parallels a bond that may typically occur between grandparents and grandchildren. This story gently addressed death and its inevitability while highlighting the importance of time spent together. This would be a book I recommend to students cooping with loss. This would be a great book to include in the class library because it is easy to read but challenging enough for lear ...more
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
A wonderfully illustrated story about a plasterer who befriends a pigeon. Angelo finds an injured pigeon and nurses her back to health. As he ages, the pigeon encourages him through his final days of a church restoration. One of the things that I really like about this book is that it includes and addresses Angelo's death. While this can be a serious and scary subject for children, I believe that it is a topic that educators and parents need to find thoughtful ways to talk about it.

As much as I
Dolly
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet and somewhat melancholy story about a man who spends his last years restoring a church and helps a hurt pigeon. The story focuses on the relationship between Angleo and his pigeon Sylvia and how they comfort one another and keep each other company.

The narrative is engaging and the illustrations are terrific. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

interesting quote:

"With wet plaster and a few simple tools, he had spent his whole life making crumbling walls smooth again and
Paul
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
What a lovely book. Macaulay's signature style, his affection for architecture shown in the cityscapes and close-ups of repair work on scaffolding on a large building, drawings within drawings together create a rich environment to enter. What pulls us through the story is Angelo's care for the ailing pigeon Sylvia, her reciprocal care for him as he ages, and finally his tribute to her in the stucco exterior he has spent his final few years working on. Bravo!
Engel Dreizehn
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2017
Very rich detail to architecture and very heartwarming story of both between a man and the pigeon he nurses and his dedication to the building he is also "nursing".
Claudia
It's David Macaulay, so you know to look carefully, study all the pictures for those lovely details he's famous for.

On the surface, this is the story of a man, Angelo, who cleans and restores church facades, stuccoing and restoring. He finds an injured pigeon and his life takes a turn...he nurses the bird, takes her to work with him (she is at home in the belfries of the churches), feeds her..and names her! We know their relationship is permanent when that happens.

We watch Angelo find a relation
Breanna Haynes
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book Angelo by David Macaulay is a really touching story about an old man who befriends a bird. The beginning of the story started out pretty funny, but as the story progresses it gets sweeter to read. Angelo really falls in love with his bird friend and would do anything to take care of her. The illustrations in this book are really beautiful and I think that they complement the story so well. The pictures are really detailed and very funny. Overall, this book is definitely one of my new fa ...more
Rodrigo
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Christina
I read this to my summer reading program, Kids were aged 4 to 3rd graders. There is an opportunity to show kids how to infer the possible location of this story (Rome). The relationship between Angelo and the pigeon is touching. The ending is sweet(no spoilers) with none of the kids seeing it coming. All were quite satisfied. Another opportunity - to discuss death without the weight of terrible sadness. Angelo lives a full life. A great opportunity for discussion. Awesome pictures.
Peacegal
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
This is a wonderfully written story of a grumpy building restorer and the little pigeon he rescues and nurses back to health. You'll want to share this book and discuss the themes of friendship, devotion, rewarding work and life itself. It's also great to see a humble, looked-down upon creature such as a pigeon celebrated and cared for.
Amanda Day
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a story about an old man that repairs stucco on old buildings. He befriends a bird while working on a building and they care for each other. Before the man dies he creates a next of stucco for the bird so that she always has a place to live.
Elaine
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a bit melancholy, but the boys liked it too. While it took a bit to understand who "she" was, I felt like that's how some friendships begin. A lovely tale about a man who loves his work and yet has time for compassion for others.
Katrina Dreamer
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at the Scholastic book fair when I was a student teacher. I loved the cover and I loved the story even more. It is about a sweet man and his relationship with a bird. I cry every time I read it and it is dear to my heart.
Laurie
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3 years and up
Our grandbabies, preschool and kindergarten, loved this gentle story. Angelo is restoring an old cathedral when he comes upon an injured pigeon. With love and care for both the pigeon and the cathedral, Angelo leaves a legacy. Spoiler Alert: be prepared to discuss death in very simple terms.
Robert J
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. An old Italian plaster while restoring a church facade discovers a wounded pigeon and makes a new friend. It reminds of the Aesop tale, The Lion and the Mouse. The story is absolutely heartwarming and i enjoyed the pictures as well.
Bree
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Notes:
story about an old man and a pigeon helping each other
angelo dies at the end but it's a sweet story
we liked it but didn't re-read it very much
Michael
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another picture book from one of my favorite authors. Macaulay tells a moving story with great art work, a story of an old man and a pigeon, and the bond built between them.
Candina
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I expected. I cried near the end, which made it hard to keep reading. It's a beautiful story. We borrowed this from the library, but I think we may have to order our own copy.
Linda
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very special story about a craftsman with a glorious job. Appears to be set in Italy. Loved the illustrations.
Maren
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I may have gotten a little teary-eyed at the end of this one. A sweet story.
Candace
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting illustrations and a unique story line. Not sure however in what situation I would read it in a classroom but I would definitely read it to my own children.
Apex157x
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and engaging
Kay Carman
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While restoring the front of a church, an old master plasterer rescues an injured pigeon and nurses her back to health.
James
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this is an excellent book to use to talk about life and death with younger students. It has a positive approach to the subject and was fun to read.
Lesley Looper
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a touching story between two unlikely friends who end up switching caretaker roles. The illustrations are charming as well.
Marcus Reeves
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very sad story. Made me weep.
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: youth
kIDS
Kelly
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a very touching story about a man growing older, friendship, and death. The illustrations are impressive and align well with the architectural vocabulary it teaches children.
Jessalyn King
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
So sad! But sweet. Loved the illustration. Loved the growth of the characters. Loved that the bird remembered Angelo. Also now curious how long pigeons live...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Stevie
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • A Mama for Owen
  • Ruby The Copycat
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • William's Doll
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • The Bicycle Man (Sandpiper)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Pick a Pup
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
  • Do Pirates Take Baths?
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...