Start by marking “Ajedrez para Dummies” as Want to Read:
Ajedrez para Dummies

Ajedrez para Dummies (For Dummies)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  469 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
It was inevitable, thank goodness, that the Dummies series would give us an introductory chess book. The light touch is perfect to offset the sober aura of mystery that surrounds the game in many people's minds. And the extras that reach beyond the well-written move explanations, strategies, and pattern-recognition make the book a real winner. It won't take much playing fo ...more
432 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Planeta (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Ajedrez para Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ajedrez para Dummies

D'Arcy
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I played a lot of chess and was able to beat everyone in my group. I played against clients in my shop if they saw the game and fansied themselves a chess player, and I won all the time.

So I started playing against the guys in the street, the guys in the park and the like. I'd pay to play, money back if I won... They totally cleaned my clock every time. I was surrounded by amateurs and thought I was a pro, and the real pros were playing in the park. So I read this book. I credit this book with
Yani
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book with great advice and really gave me insight into chess basics. However, at some points I wish it would just go a little bit further. It gave me enough further reading tips though, so I guess it's okay.
Craig
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, my brother taught me how to play chess. Then he proceeded to kick my butt. Time after time after time. So I figured I'd get some revenge a few years back. I read and studied this book, then challenged him to another game of chess. He once again kicked my butt. But it took him more than four moves to do it. This book greatly improved my chess game, which still sucks.
stormhawk
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a fascination for chess, but rarely play. Not knowing anyone who plays causes that. I understsnd a lot of the finer poits of strategy and am quite good at solving chess problems, but I play without much finesse. I keep hoping that someday, when I make someone watch Searching for Bobby Fischer, they will leap op and say, "wow, I really miss playing chess, I want to start again." It hasn't worked so far. So, instead, I read chess books.

Chess for Dummies starts by assuming you know how to p
Graham
A Well Written Book With Limited Information On Chess: I had not picked up a chess piece for more than ten (10) years so I was looking forward to reading this book as a "refresher course" in chess. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED.

While a very well written book (a rarity in chess literature) the information is confusingly presented and not nearly has helpful as "The Idiot's Complete Guide To Chess."

My wife is a complete novice and she began reading this work so we could play chess together. She became s

Catherine
One of my hair-brain ideas to learn chess.
Angel Serrano
Ajedrez para principiantes, con el lenguaje simple que caracteriza a esta editorial y abundantes ejemplos. Incluye cuestiones básicas (piezas, tablero, movimientos), táctica y combinaciones, estrategia en las aperturas, desarrollo y final, competiciones, ajedrez por internet, los grandes maestros y la educación a través del juego.
Damian4
Simple. Directo. Necesario para nosotros los principiantes. Con todo lo esencial para nutrirse de lo "hay que saber" en el mundo del ajedrez: reglas, notación, tácticas, aperturas, finales, trucos, etc. Sin abrumar ni cansar en ningún momento del libro.
David
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells you about what the pieces do, how to use them and other chess stuff.
David Roberts
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read to research this post was Chess For Dummies by James Eade which is an excellent book that I bought from kindle. This book covers more or less everything you need to know about chess & there is even lots of examples of openings and gambits. I think if you work through this book you can become an extremely good player. Gambit incidently comes from the word gambitta which is a technical term used in wrestling means to pull an opponents feet out from under him. Chess developed in ...more
Sean
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the perfect book to read if you're serious about learning to play chess, or if you know how to play chess, but you're a chronically bad player. I fall into the second category.

Eade starts out with the basics, explaining the mechanics of the rules of Chess. But then he goes into quite a bit of depth, covering strategy and tactics, and breaking the game down into its various components and explaining the goals at each step. He covers quite a bit of ground and gives an intermediate
Erik
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After attending a conference a few months back I was inspired to learn more about chess. This seems odd, but the speaker (Rob Weychert) who mentioned this drew some interesting parallels to chess and web design and they made sense to me. After reading more about the game the planning from the opening to endgame I see how his concept makes sense. I picked this book up at Half Price Books and was overall pleased with the information. It certainly could have been more interesting in parts, but it g ...more
Mike Michaels
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Eade delivers a comprehensive overview of the rules, principals, and tactics of chess, all delivered with an easy to follow narration and fun sense of humor.

Many of the comparisons and examples used are funny, which helped me remember the content. I particularly enjoyed the sections on chess notation, and when to sacrifice a piece to gain a checkmate.

It's a great introduction to the game, and I suggest it to any novice or intermediate player who'd like to increase their chess prowess.
puppy
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-games
I'm an okay chess player but completely self-taught. This book provides a really good foundation in all sorts of things: gambits, pawn formations, tactings, openings, endgames, etc. Each chapter begins with a fairly equal balance of theory and game analyses. Kindle was kind of a garbage format since I had to flip back and forth a bunch to get both the text & the gameboards -- would probably be a little better on a laptop. I'll probably return to this later on to actually work through the exa ...more
Carlos Reyes
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un muy buen libro para aprender todo sobre el ajedrez. Explica desde lo más elemental hasta situaciones más complejas. Estos libros para Dummies son verdaderamente espectaculares. Felicito al autor James Eade, porque no debe ser fácil explicar un juego de esta envergadura de manera sencilla y amena. No me extiendo mucho porque no hay nada más que agregar, este libro le hace honor a su título.
Mark Dunn
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
I don't have any chess credentials ,but I have read a few beginner books and I don't think "Chess For Dummies" will be very helpful. If you know the game at all Chess puzzles are the way to go ,they (puzzles) are apparently what made the Polgar sisters great ,so that is good enough for me. I recommend "Simple Checkmates" by A J Gillam.
Buzz
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my youth I learned and played chess with friends, never being guided properly. It turned out that I had been making some fundamental mistakes. This book really turned me around and got me to understand what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.
Jon
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: casual chess players, dummies
Shelves: chess
An excellent book for casual chess players. This book will introduce basic strategies and concepts to take their game to the next level. It is very clear, with easy to understand illustrations, which is extremely rare to find in chess books.
Robert
When we moved into the house, pre-children, I thought I would take up learning how to play chess. Yeah, didn't happen. I perused the book. I played a little. But no, I didn't become serious about it. Now, several years later, I came across this book as I tidy up. :)
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book is a good idea for someone who is less visual and relational than I am. I think in order to REALLY learn how to play chess I would need to sit down with an actual teacher. I'm going to give DVD's a shot though.
Mark Nelson
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice introduction to chess basics. Accessible and well illustrated. Recommended for new players who want to improve their game and enjoy chess more.
John
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great despite the name. Wade is/was pro in res at mechanics institute in SF.
Nissa
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aborted, 2008
Gave up. No one to play chess with and had to return the borrowed book. From what I could tell it was a good reference/tutorial, though.
Art
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball, humor-dry
Good book. I have used several strategies listed in the book.
Had several students read and learn chess w/out knowing the game.
Vinicius Targa
A nice book for beginners. Its show the basic rules and principles of the game. The are some notorious matchs in the end. A good book for a unrated player as its title suggests.
PWRL
Sep 07, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Cws
J794.12Ead
Stangreen
Feb 19, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OK, so I do read some books just for fun.
Caleb
Don't laugh too hard... I read this in early childhood, and it's a pretty good introduction to the game for complete novices.
  • Physics for Dummies
  • Being Vegetarian for Dummies
  • Football for Dummies
  • Guitar For Dummies
  • Piano for Dummies [With Play-Along]

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies