Start by marking “Treasure: Raised By Wolves, Volume Three” as Want to Read:
Treasure: Raised By Wolves, Volume Three

Treasure: Raised By Wolves, Volume Three

(Raised by Wolves #3)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  369 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Gay buccaneer historical adventure/romance. The third novel in a series chronicling the adventures of Will, a disenchanted English Lord, and his beloved matelot/partner, Gaston, an exiled Frenchman, set among the buccaneers of Port Royal, Jamaica, in the 1660s. In this volume, the men ponder the true definition of sanity and the necessity of compromise in the name of love ...more
Published (first published May 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure

Kaje Harper
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, historical, intense, m-m, mmf
Part Three in the Raised By Wolves extended novel. 3.5 stars

This book was my least favorite in the series. The interactions between Will and Gaston sometimes felt a bit like... too much. Too much discussion and searching for ever-extended metaphors, too many swings from love to madness and back, too many choices made for murky reasons that complicated an already sticky situation.

As part of the series, the events in this book will clearly drive the conclusion. This one is about family and society
Jason Bradley
Holy shit! I have been put through the wringer with all this drama and action. I do agree with other reviews that they overthought their analogies on life in this one. On to the last in the series.
Dreamer
Okay, so, this is another looong book (568 pages) as are all the books of this series. The first 66% or so takes place in 1668/9 Port Royal on Jamaica and concerns wives, babies, puppies and fathers. The concluding third occurs at sea whilst raiding Spanish territory. Will and Gaston are, as always, a compelling couple although the numerous horse analogies do grow a little old in this one. I am having a short break prior to the concluding volume.

Though I had spoken with calm conviction, my Horse
Ais
So as not to cause confusion, I should clarify that I'm rating all these books based on the whole series. This is a series where I really feel like I can't individually rate books because they're far too intertwined. It really is like it's one huge book that was cut into four volumes because it was too large for one.

If I were to individually rate, I probably would have rated this one the lowest of the 4 because it was my least favorite. However, I still liked it quite a bit, and I couldn't even
Em
This is the third big book in the series and I'm now totally and utterly hooked on these guys....all dozen or so of them! This series is totally epic, the TV is officially switched off and I'm reading every spare minute I get.

Will and Gaston are still thoroughly in love and the wonderful thing about these two, which is fantastic and so unlike a lot of m/m, is that they are 100% loyal to each other, there have been no roving eyes, no flings or sneaky one night stands, nothing! How refreshing. Le
Shin
Jan 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trix
Let me first say that I take half a point off from the rating because I got a bit bored with all sophism and discussions and analysis and giving a name to their feelings and states. But still amazing read so I'll leave it 5 stars because it makes up for the lagging part of the story with great scenes in the second half.

(view spoiler)
Andrea
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two thirds of ”Treasure” veered off into fan fic land, unfortunately. Endless drama, endless talking about feelings, all the good guys loving Will and Gaston, no matter what crazy stuff they do and all the bad guys being really bad and not understanding how great Will and Gaston really are. Gaston's dad turns out to be totally understanding of everything matelot... And Christine loses the plot completely and turns into a jealous mad woman... I mean, I realize that the whole reason for ...more
Ayanna
Wow. This thing. It's long. It takes you on a magical journey far away so by the end, it's not the same story it started off as. Except with this story, it was still the same story, with the same characters, even if they were different. Like they grew and developed and stuff, but they were ultimately the same person, unlike other books that take me on weird journeys and by the end, I have no idea where I ended up, how I got there, and who exactly these strangers I'm with now are.

The blurb does n
Rowan Hunt
This book infuriated me. If I hadn't read and immensely enjoyed the first two I probably would have given it a lower rating. I would certainly never have read anything else this author wrote if this was the first book I picked up. Apart from lacking in piratage, being slow and rather dull as it is wrapped up in boring political shenanigans, the whole book was ruined for me by the plot device of Christine. This author has researched, but doesn't have a strong understanding of social history. In p ...more
Alicja
rating: 3/5

Will and Gaston continue face a new complication, Gaston's father arrives in Jamaica. Will he be a friend or foe? What other challenges and fights await our sexy buccaneers?

This is the third of the four volumes following Will and Gaston as they raid, rove, and murder on the high seas while dealing with family issues and drama on land. This continuation of the m/m pirate buccaneer romance mostly takes place on land in Port Royal, Jamaica as Gaston's father makes an appearance and bri
Reader
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-historical
. . . and so this Damn amazing story continues; it is Damn good and I'm on to Volume 4 which so far, is just as Damn awesome.

What it would it have been like to be in WA Hoffman's head while she wrote this epic???
She must have been 'born with a pen between her fingers and stories in her head'. Whatever it is, I'm Damn glad, 'cause here I am, very happy because she's a Damn superb writer.
Maggie Simms
3 stars... barely

This book did my head in. My least favorite so far in the series.

I found myself skimming quite a bit, utterly uninterested in the plot. For the first two books I was so engrossed in them. Just love them! This book unfortunately, had me bored.

As other reviews have mentioned, I also felt that it was a departure from the first two books. I mean, this is supposed to be a pirates book but there was no 'buccaneering' going on until after the 75% mark. Right before that, all the book
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: good, series, slashreaders
SlashReaders: I will say in hindsight on this review. I have since gone back and reread this entire series. I had a much more favorable opinion of the book the second time around. :)

The third book in this series, I think is one that people will either like or dislike. I'm a bit stuck in the middle for a couple of reasons. I liked the book and felt like it did a good job of dealing with realistic issues. For the most part. However I felt that the beginning of it dragged a bit through the recesses
Rachael
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-very-very-gay
Okay, I can recognize that the Raised by Wolves series is flawed: while the author did some research, the amount of time the characters spend talking about their relationship, the amount of drama they go through, the relationships themselves, and the style of writing is all way overdone. However, these books are like Rachael-crack. They are about pirates (alright, buccaneers or whatever), they are gay, they are all romantic, the characters spend way too much time talking about their relationship ...more
Deanna Against Censorship
I am so into these guys but I am not sure why. Each book is long and wordy but I am hooked. I love the descriptions of the time and place. I want them to be happy together. This episode of their lives was short on roving and long on women problems. Still I was immersed in their lives. I would love more of Pete, Stiker and Sarah and their relationship. Will and Gaston have grown and have more control over their "horses", but still issues. There is more intrigue and father issues in this one. WIll ...more
Carla Lewis
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not going to say that I hated this book, but I'm not going to say that I loved it. The minor characters are what really make this series, hence why I have not stopped yet. Whenever I start reading the series I get super excited for the adventure, but it beings to dwindle after the second book. I feel that Hoffman should have focused more on the side-main characters rather than Will and Gaston, since the rest of them never come in I always end up wondering what they are doing rather than focu ...more
B. Jean
My least favorite of the 3 books so far. I was all for the Vivian redemption arc. I also disliked Christine from the beginning, but still, she didn't deserve what happened to her. I'm taking away a star for that purpose.
The ending action was probably the best part of the book. While I liked certain parts of Port Royal, they were on it for far too long.
Julie
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this quite a bit, long as it was. This gets very philosophical at times, about morality, sexuality, class, and family, and the constraints put upon the characters by the period they live in. Quite interesting and unique.
Lb
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I can't describe the feelings i get from these books. I have read them 3 times each and still love them. Will and Gaston are characters i will never forget.

Love pirates? Love men finding true love with other men? Love a story that will touch your heart? Read this series.
Meggie
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this third part what totally annoyed me where women. I mean the story progress well and you can't stop to read, as always, but damn it's annoying to read about problems with woman in m/m stories, even if that's totally logical in this plot and story.
Blue Angela
Apr 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF - 47%
Pablo  Rodriguez
I loved books one and two of this series, but this third book seemed to get bogged down in the details of unpleasant relationships and lost the action and excitement of the previous books.
Andune
So enthralled I can't wait to see what happens next!
Emilie R.
Great book, the third in the series is wonderful.
Chris Mikos
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing series!!!
Catherine
First 3/4 of this book bored me. It picked up a bit at the end, reminding me how great the first 2 volumes are. But I'd lost all interest and concern for the characters. Pity.
AliciaJ
Part 3 in the romantic love story of Will and Gaston. Just as grand as the first two books.
Christine
I feel like the story of this whole series could have been condensed down to one book. its just waaaay too long and without any real story to keep me interested.
George
Jun 08, 2013
  • The Ghost and the Darkness Volume 2  (Fallocaust, #3)
  • False Colors
  • Xperiment
  • Control (The Administration, #4)
  • Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story
  • Shield Mate (Chronicles of Ylandre, #7)
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Standish
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • 1/27: An ICoS Anthology
  • Emperor's Consort (Chronicles of the Shifter Directive #5)
  • Ice and Embers (Blessed Epoch, #2)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions, #2)
  • Inherent Gifts
  • Broken Ink
  • This Other Country (More Heat Than the Sun, #4)
  • Ricochet (The House of Silence #2)
  • The Thirteenth Child (Section Thirteen #1)
W. A. Hoffman, aka Wynette A. Hoffman, is a middle-aged white woman of English/Welsh/Irish descent (with a little German and Spanish to add flavor). Born in March, 1964. Married for 16 years. A geek: comic book collector, movie fanatic, anime watcher, gamer, MMORPG player (multi-box World of Warcraft.) Lives in a big suburban tri-level in Aurora, Colorado, with two German Shepherd Dogs, two Siames ...more

Raised by Wolves (4 books)
  • Brethren (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Matelots (Raised By Wolves, #2)
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)