Start by marking “Unmeasured Strength” as Want to Read:
Unmeasured Strength

Unmeasured Strength

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
A survivor's awe-inspiring story of how she overcame tragedy and re-created herself as a wife, mother, and woman

She was a hardworking business woman, had a loving husband and an infant son, and a confidence born of intelligence and beauty. But on 9/11, good fortune was no match for catastrophe. When a wall of flame at the World Trade Center burned more than 80 percent of h
Published August 30th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Unmeasured Strength, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unmeasured Strength

Cheryl
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
On the morning of September 11, 2001, Lauren Manning was running late for her job at the World Trade Center as a partner and managing director at Cantor Fitzgerald. As she entered the lobby and approached the elevators, she heard a strange noise. Then suddenly she was engulfed in flames as a great ball of fire shot out of the elevator shaft.

Lauren Manning's poignant, powerful biography relates in graphic detail the events which followed as she struggled with third degree burns over 80% of her bo
Amy
A fascinating update on the life of Lauren Manning. Manning was an employee of Cantor Fitzgerald and was burned over 82% of her body by burning jet fuel that rushed down the elevator shafts of the North Tower on September 11, 2001.

I got to know Lauren Manning in a most unusual way (as many readers did). From the time she was admitted to the burn center and throughout her recovery, her husband Greg wrote a series of emails to friends and family detailing moments in her recovery. He always signed
Kimberly
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
This isn't a book that I would have chosen to read on my own; it was a book club pick. That being said, I did think it was an okay read given the subject matter. Unmeasured Strength covers a lot of Manning's physical rehabilitation, so if you're not interested in reading about burn rehab I wouldn't recommend this. Although Manning's story of survival is certainly inspiring, I didn't love her book. There was a level of egocentrism throughout Manning's story that just didn't sit well with me. Yes, ...more
Kristen
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
"I knew that every day, I had a choice. Every day, I had to reach deep inside and find an as yet unmeasured strength that made it possible to carry on." - from Unmeasured Strength

Lauren Manning is a strong woman. Her story of survival and triumph over the injuries she sustained on September 11 in the lobby of the North Tower are amazing. And her quote above is powerful and motivating to me.

That said, she is not a great writer. Read it if you are interested in burn victim recovery, her story, or
Denise Caudell
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is the story of Lauren Manning who was burned over 85% of her body during 9/11. It is her story of strength, courage, determination, and unwaivering bravery. It starts with Lauren arriving at the World Trade Center Tower One right before the first plane flew into the building from there it moves to her standing at one of the elevators which opened up and engulfed her in flames. Heroic measures were taken by someone standing by and eventually she is moved to a hospital that specializes ...more
Sher
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book, read by the author who was a victim of the 9/11 attacks. It is an amazing story told by an amazing person. She worked at the WTC, and the morning of 9/11, she had just walked into the building when a fireball erupted from the elevator shaft and lit her on fire. She didn't know how to put the fire out. She made her way outside where there was a little patch of grass and started to roll. A man saw her and threw his jacket over her to smother the flames, then got help for h ...more
Diane
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was well written by Lauren Manning. I would never take away from her struggle or the pain and agony she endured to heal from the horrific tragedy she suffered.

There were a couple of things I found notable: she continually talked about how she fought to get better for her son. As a mother of three children, I do understand that, however I felt as though she did not give enough importance or credit to her husband. Yes, she mentioned several times throughout the book how gratefu
Jenny
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Since we did not have heat in our house. I spent most of Martin Luther King Day cuddled under a blanket reading about Lauren Manning's journey to recover from burns she received on 9/11. Her story is truly amazing. In a terrible situation that should have killed her. She decided to live. All that mattered to her was being alive to enjoy raising her son and spending time with her husband. This tragedy changed all that mattered to her. Showed her what was important to her. She touched many lives a ...more
Steve Parcell
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart
Shelves: us-history
Lauren Manning got up one morning and went to work as normal. She was waiting for the lift in the lobby of WTC1 and heard an explosion and then suddenly she is engulfed in flames as jet fuel roars down the lift shaft as the first plane hits.
This lady suffered 85% burns and fractured her ankle as she tried to put herself out on the grass. She was given a 10% chance to live but she made it. Words cannot adequately describe Lauren but this book was so powerful that I am not afraid to admit I was c
Audrey ❦❦❦
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
You wake up Tuesday morning and get dressed to go to work. You are half an hour late because of a phone call you took just before leaving your apartment. That day, you are just leaving the elevator on the 78th floor of the World Trade Center to take the second elevator to your 105-floor office at Cantor Fitzgerald. The plane strikes and all around you, you see people on fire. Then you realize you are one of them. Your life, as you know it, is over.

This is the story of Lauren Manning, who was bur
Anne
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Having read "Love Greg and Lauren" back in 2002, so soon after the raw devastation of the World Trade Center attacks, I wanted to go back to learn how Lauren Manning, one of the most devastated survivors of the attacks, had progressed over the past ten years. Her story is inspirational and terrible. Burned over 90% of her body, she has fought back with determination and passion. One of the few Cantor Fitzgerald employees to live, she is really an impressive story. At times, very hard to read due ...more
Gina Beirne
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, read2011
Lauren Manning was burned over 82% of her body in the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center. I am I. Awe of her strength and outage in choosing to live in the face of such monumental pain. I read Manning's husbands book, LOVE, GREG AND LAUREN, when it was first published and was delighted to find out how Lauren and her family are faring today. I am especially excited to know that another son joined their family (via gestational surrogate). Let Lauren Manning's courage and strength be a m ...more
Christa who loves the library

The content of the book was good and Mrs. Manning has survived so much both physically and emotionally. I feel that she provided too many details in some spots and not enough in others. It was exciting to have the author read the audio book but in some spots she lacked emotion and talked in a monotone which made following the story challenging. Over all this was an "okay" book. I can't even image the challenges Mrs. Manning has had to overcome in her life. I think this book could have been writt
Kathy
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read "Love Greg and Lauren" and had been on Greg's email list since 09/11/2001. I started my day each morning reading the email's and then praying for Greg, Lauren, and Tyler. Greg wrote so well and so vividly and honestly. Lauren's writing style is the same. Her story is captivating from word one and you just hate it to end because you know you won't be on their Christmas Card list to find out more.

This is an emotional read you will carry in your heart forever unless you are dead from the the
Tony Whittum
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow! I cannot imagine anyone (me) complaining about the trials and tribulations of an ordinary life when a person like Lauren Manning exists on this planet.
During the 9/11 tragedy over 80% of Ms. Manning's body was burned and this is her story of not only how she survived and recovered, but thrived!
While some parts are quite harrowing to read if you want something uplifting and inspiring! Read it!
Janice
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an inspiring, empowering and enduring story about Lauren Manning who survived 9/11. She tells her story and ten year journey to survival as she fled the burning tower and fought for her life after 80% of her body was burned in the World Trade Center catastrophe. Her perseverance and faith in herself after enduring pain and loss beyond our imagination as she describes her life before, during and post 9/11.
Jenny
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the autobiography of Laura Manning who was a survivor of the 9/11 World Trade Center trajedy. On that morning, she was heading to her job at Cantor Fitzgerald. When she arrived the the WTC, she was severely burned over 80% of her body. This the story of her fight to come back from that day. It was an inspiring story and a good reminder of the personal stories that happened that fateful day.
Sharon Murphy
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book on my Kindle. The book is very well written and the author uses very descriptive words, some I had to look up in the dictionary. She suffered from burns on 911 and was determined to live for her baby son. She was not expected to live through the night, and her survival was a miracle. she worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and lost many friends. she has since done charity work and fund raisers for 911 families of those lost. This was a fast and easy read.
Kathy  D.
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, 2012
A brutal story of recovery from the devastation of 9/11. It is amazing how far she has come with such catastrophic burns. It was hard to read at times, both because of the tally of the friends and co-workers lost and because of the physical effects of the fire. Her account seemed almost too positive; although I don't doubt her drive and her strength, it felt like she was leaving out most of her negative moments.
Christine Pratt
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I felt like a was on an emotional roller coaster reading this 1st hand account of survivor Lauren Manning. It was very well written, but tough to read because the subject matter was such a tragedy. It felt good to see her strength & how she pulled through when everyone thought she would perish in the hospital. I recommend it for those looking to read something uplifting with a somber theme.
Karin L
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I always enjoy reading about "survivors" and how they get the strength to overcome tremendous obstacles in their lives. Although I admire what this woman went through to recover from her injuries and also recover from incredible loss, the book was maybe a little longer than it needed to be. Otherwise an inspiring story of a very strong woman.
Joanne
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting read. I enjoyed the story, and Lauren is definitely an inspirational story, but I found her writing a bit dull after the original shock of the situtation. It picked up at the end, but the middle of the book felt like she just needed to keep writing, as opposed to having a point of the book.
Lucy Burnett
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
It was very inspiring. I felt she was a little too superwoman though, because she rarely, if at all, mentions having a moment of doubt. She admits to be self-conscious of her looks, but never doubts that she'll succeed and survive this horrible ordeal. I just find that hard to believe. Besides that though, her story is inspiring and motivational.
Susan
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is one of those inspiring stories of human achievement and perserverance that often comes out of the worst tragedies. Lauren
Manning was severly burned over most of her body in the 9-11 World
Trade Center attack. This is her personal story of overcoming the pain and suffering and arriving at an amazing place of self-transformation.
Esther Bradley-detally
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had read her husband's emails, turned into a book, as was so struck by his tenacity, and his faith in his beloved wife, and now years later Lauren Manning gives her account of recovering from severe burns, from 911, and hers is an incredibly gripping story. I couldn't put it down. Heroic journey for all.
Heidi
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book and to be inspired by Lauren's story. However, I didn't find her to be likable and found myself judging her. Her story is tragic and there is a happy ending. I just didn't find myself finishing the book with new inspiration of how someone can overcome the worst possible tragedy.
Kim
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the incredible story of Lauren Manning who was burned over 82% of her body the morning of 9/11. Her fight, will and determination are what helped her through her miraculous recovery. She is an inspiration to those who feel overwhelmed with uphill battles in their lives.
Lindzie
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
A book chosen for book club. I agree with some of the other reviews. Great story about surviving the terrible events about 9/11; however, not well-written. I am glad she was able to share her story, but I wasn't impressed with the point of the book.
Starr
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a heartbreaking yet inspiring story!! It makes you realize all of the little things that you take for granted! It is an easy read and after you read this you will want to just hug your family and smile, because YOU Are alive!!
Pam
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on my ipod over the last couple days. Lauren's story is heartbreaking yet inspiring. I cannot even fathom the pain she had to endure, even while heavily medicated, to start literally and figuratively walking on her journey to go home to her husband and toddler.
Pre-Read Comment 1 3 Sep 10, 2011 02:39PM
  • Love, Greg & Lauren
  • Where You Left Me
  • A Widow's Walk: A Memoir of 9/11
  • A Decade of Hope: Stories of Grief and Endurance from 9/11 Families and Friends
  • LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001
  • The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook
  • What I Learned When I Almost Died: How a Maniac TV Producer Put Down His Blackberry and Started to Live His Life
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • What About the Boy?
  • Daffodils in Spring
  • Uggie--My Story
  • The Letter: My Journey Through Love, Loss, and Life

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. —ELEANOR ROOSEVELT” 0 likes