Start by marking “The Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle (Beatrix Potter Library)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy...

Beatrix Potter

The Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  13,398 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is a hedgehog washerwoman who lives in a tiny cottage in the fells of the Lake District. A child named Lucie, who has lost three handkerchiefs and a pinny, happens upon her cottage and stays for tea, watches Mrs Tiggy-winkle do some ironing and also helps Mrs. Tiggy-winkle with her laundry delivery.
Published (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale Of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle

Traveller
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, illustrated
Miss Tiggy-Winkle is a very industrious hedgehog.
She is also very sociable. ;)

She is also kind.

Replete with lovely illustrations, Beatrix Potter brings the hedges and hedgerows to anthropomorphic life.
Jean
The name of Beatrix Potter is familiar and loved the world over. She is famous for her delightful children's books about woodland animals, who are, of course, little people in disguise, as they wear clothes and behave exactly as their human counterparts would. The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle is the sixth in a series, and features one of her most delightful characters, a hedgehog washerwoman.

Before these whimsical stories ever came to light, Beatrix Potter had been a respected watercolourist, illust
Manny

Kids who've grown up learning to blow their noses in disposable tissues just won't get this book. It's tragic.
Vaishali
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books, art
Such charmingly beautiful illustrations by the very talented and legendary Beatrix Potter. I almost squealed when Peter Rabbit appeared :) All in all, a sweet freshly-baked cupcake that warms the human heart ... but ends in a mystery too.
Lauren
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite childhood Beatrix Potter story! Reread it for #readkidslit.
Emma
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrns
Read this with my nephew this evening...I never really did dig Beatrix Potter and I still don't apparently!
GoldGato
"Three handkins and a pinny"!

When Lucie loses her handkins (I don't think this word is even in the OED), she starts the search around the environs of Little Town to find them. She ends up discovering the cozy abode of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a very clean hedgehog in the process of washing her whites in the washing basin. As it turns out, Tiggywinkle is the village laundress, an expert in washing, starching, and ironing.

Tea is made, which I always feel is the best part, as it means I must also have my
Katherine
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my 4 year old granddaughter's favorite books. It's such fun to read the charming story while she lifts each flap that reveals the hidden item and the last words for each page. When she visits I encourage new books and she typically enjoys them but she always requests this one--sometimes twice (or more). Nothing beats a favorite book, at any age.
Kimberley doruyter
this is my most favorite beatrix potter story
Gerry
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time there was a young girl called Lucie, who lived at a farm called Little-town. She was upset for she had lost three handkerchiefs, handkins as she called them, and a pinny (a word rarely used these days but my Mum used to wear one - probably called an apron nowadays).

She was so upset at her loss that she cried and then went and asked Tabby Kitten, a speckled hen and finally Cock Robin; none of them could help Lucie.

Then, climbing on a stile, Lucie spotted some white things spread
Dione Basseri
Now, this Potter story just feels weird. Taken on its own, it's just a story of a young girl befriending a woodland creature and somehow failing utterly at noticing the woman is a wild animal. But, in the context of the other Potter stories, it feels...well, like a plot hole. While animals and humans have both appeared in this world, it has always felt like they're on two different plains of sentience. The humans feel and the animals feel, but their feelings and awareness can not cross, except t ...more
Marina Zala
** Books 147 - 2017 **

3,1 of 5 stars!

such a cutie pie a Mrs Tiggy-Winkle as hedgedog who dressed as like humans! :p

Thankyou Bookmate!
Monika
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Väike tüdruk Lucie kaotas oma taskurätikud ära ning otsib neid kõikjalt. Ta küsib nii kassi kui kuke käest, kuid keegi ei oska teda aidata. Ringi kõndides leiab Lucie mäe seest väikese ukse, millele koputades, avab proua Tiggy-Winkle. Proua on ümmargune ja natuke omapärane pesunaine, kes peseb ja triigib kõigi ümbruskonna loomade riideid. Lucie veedab oma päeva sõbralikku proua Tiggy-Winkle't aidates ning saab ka oma taskurätikud puhtana tagasi. Lõpuks mõistab ta, et pesunaine oli tegelikult si ...more
HoopoeGirl
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the illustrations and minor details that make this story so charming. Like how Mrs. Tiggly-Winkle's spines poke through her bonnet. Or the chicken feet yellow stockings. And does anyone else wonder just what Jenny Wren was up to with all that currant wine? I also love how Potter has her whole cast of characters appear within the washing items. And to think a hedgehog was such an exotic and unknown animal to young, little non-British me.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book answers the all-important questions in the mind of children in 1905: who does the laundry? And what laundry do other creatures have?

Informative introduction to the career of laundress, suitable for human and hedgehog readers alike.

I bought it.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
So Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is a hedgehog. A hedgehog doing and ironing the laudry for everyone haha very cool! Oh Lucie, always losing her hankerchiefs! Good thing there is Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle to help.
Prashant
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This was beautiful and it had everything. A sweet girl, an innocent Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and the search for a missing handkerchief.

The story can be a dream or reality but it sure is something !
Susan
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children
A classic ~ as are all of the books by Beatrix Potter!
Bushra Zia
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-classic
Do you need a second opinion on this book? Visit and explore www.oceanpearlbooks.wordpress.com. OceanPearl Books endeavors to provide well-informed book reviews, business readings, parenting tips, and consulting services for our clients worldwide. And it's all for Free!

OceanPearl Books - Book Review
This is a tale of mischievous, little bunnies who always get into trouble by trespassing Mr. McGregor’s vegetable garden. Children fall in love with the Potter’s bunny family and explore Mr. McGregor’
Nesdy
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read. I read most of Beatrix Potter's books when I was little. I remembered this as being one of my favorites. I wanted to see if I could still find something in them as an adult. I don't know about the others, but this is very much exclusively for children, and even then I don't know what I saw in it as a kid. There's barely a story here.
Jonathan Hutchings
Mimi
I love how this one connects all the other books in the series.
Calista
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, children
This was a different story as there was a little girl as a main character. I enjoyed the little hedgehog and I found the ending satisfying. The kids enjoyed this one too. I love her art work.
Quillbert
In accordance with the FTC I would like to disclose that I borrowed this book from the library. I would like to return it. It has mysterious smudges. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the publisher. Or the author. As she is deceased.

This is the story of a little girl named Lucie who has lost her pinny...and all of her handkerchiefs. She sets out to find them, inquiring to the animals she meets along the way. Shockingly, they all snub her. At last L
Melissa
This was the weirdest book that I have ever read. I was not expecting anything of the sort.
Janet
Wonderful story.
Jamie Winslow
This was a story about a young girl named Lucie who lost her 3 pocket handkins and her pinny. She was out looking for them and asking the local animals if they had seen her pocket handkins and her pinny but none of them had. She had wandered away from her town of Little-town which was down the hill and came across some foot steps that she started to follow. They let her to a little house and she heard singing. She went to the door and knocked. When she entered the house she met a washer woman wh ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
This is the story of a little girl named Lucie, who has a habit of losing her pocket-handkerchiefs. When she goes in search of some, she finds a magical door into a hill. Inside there is a little woman covered in prickles who washes clothes for all the animals featured in Beatrix Potter's books: a scarlet waist-coat for Cock Robin, a tablecloth for Jenny Wren, a red handkerchief for Mrs. Rabbit, a pair of stockings for Sally Henny-Penny; and three pocket-handkerchiefs and a pinny for young Lucie ...more
Jonathan
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another sad tale of loss and redemption from the queen of heartbreak, but this is not for the faint of heart. Lucie finds that she has lost a fair number of handkerchiefs and a pinafore, and so sets off on a long, gruelling journey to recover her missing items. At long last she comes across a small house wherein resides a prickly old woman (the titular Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, who has presumably had a downfall in life, as not everyone had a hyphenated name in the early 1900's), who has been reduced to ...more
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Winter Story
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit