Start by marking “The Complete Nemesis The Warlock, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Complete Nemesis The Warlock, Volume 1

The Complete Nemesis The Warlock, Volume 1

(The Complete Nemesis The Warlock #1)

Termight, a world at the heart of a cruel galactic empire. A world devastated by nuclear warfare. Deep below ground its inhabitants try to eke out a mere existence, continually threatened by the Terminators, lead by the diabolically evil Torquemada. There is a resistance though, and a new kind of hero. Meet Nemesis the Warlock, champion of the coming rebellion!
Published November 2006 by Rebellion (first published 1983)

Start your review of The Complete Nemesis The Warlock, Volume 1
Andrea
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of my favourite characters, and who couldn't love a comic where the aliens and monsters are the good guys and the humans - with the exception of a courageous few who resist the prejudiced and genocidal majority - are all evil? Led by none other than Torquemada with the slogal "Be pure, be vigilant, behave!" there is not a moment of dullness here, though the characters may not be really deep. Kevin O'Neill's art is utter genius, the kind you can lose yourself in as you unpick the intricacies ...more
James Aggas
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2000ad
I've been a fan of 2000AD for nearly ten years, but this was the first time that I checked out this popular character. I can see why he's remembered so fondly. While the opening prologue chapters were ok, allowing for a little bit of science fiction, satire and of course, thrills, it really kicks off with book 1. The considerably longer page count allowed not only for both character and world exploration, but also, despite still being set in the future, there's a slight but noticeable shift in ...more
Alexandre Szolnoky
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first time reading this collected works by 2000AD, and I was very impressed by the edition's quality and printing. The story is very interesting, and most important of all, it was fun. Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill have serious twisted minds, I loved the characterization and the artwork is top-notch. All the parts are fun to read, and sometimes everything is really silly and exaggerated, and I loved it. Sometimes there are errors in continuity and things get really confusing, but it's part of ...more
Carl Timms
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2000ad
Classic twisted cyberpunk violent space opera from 2000AD. Anyone who likes their humour demented, their bad guys legendary (BE PURE, BE VIGILANT, BEHAVE!), some magic mixed in with their giant robots and their giant insects, this is for you.
David Pain
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blimey. That was a bit different. Didn't know what to expect but wasn't disappointed. Future Catholicism gone nuts in space with demons, aliens, robots...

Kevin O'Neill's artwork is extraordinary. All eye-popping, angular, intensity. Everything looks like it would do you severe damage. All humans are depicted as maniacal fanatics, which is fun.

Wasn't perfect, though. Loved having the ABC Warriors mixed in but it did feel like a re-run of The Meknificent Seven when they introduced the characters
R Reddebrek
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My personal favourite of the 2000AD comics. The artwork differs depending on the artist but its often incredibly detailed, with several different takes on Catholic inspired Gothic architecture and punkish character designs.

The themes about racism, bigotry and violence have sadly remained relevant since its first publication.
Alex
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Genuinely brilliant. As an eleven or twelve year old, my recollection is that I skim-read the comic originals on my way to the easier reading of Dredd & Co. But on working through the book, I was floored by my almost photographic recall of some of the cells - they clearly made some sort of big subliminal impression. It's great stuff - adult, intelligent, witty and wise.
Sophie
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another one of the 2000AD comics I borrowed from R. I ended up liking this more than I initially thought I would - there is so much going on in this book, so many ideas. It took me a while to get into it, but after the first book I was definitely hooked and couldn't wait to see what other alien races and weird stuff they'd come up with.
Peter
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nemesis the warlock is a classic example of 2000AD ingenuity. Wildly original, witty, full of great designs and concepts it is a work of art. The main arc evolves around the conflict between Nemesis and Torquemada the high inquisitor. Both characters complete the hero Villain duet perfectly and the rivalry is deep and engaging. Great original read.
Derek
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing is fairly bland, but the artwork is really what drives the story forward. While some complain about O'Neill leaving by Book IV, I really thought Talbot's work suited the story arch well, in all its steampunk madness. All in all, it isn't as much fun as Dredd, but I would say the work is fairly fun and goofy, quite adult, and readable.

As I've been reading through 2000AD, I can definitely see the inkling of Warhammer 40k peek through these pages. Nemesis is certainly an important and
Sergio Armisén
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Compilación en tres tomos de las aventuras de Némesis The Warlock aparecidas en 2000 AD a principios de los 80. Este es el primer volumen de la misma, y siendo una edición no demasiado lujosa en blanco y negro, merece hasta el último céntimo. El dibujo de Kevin O’Neill destaca por su nivel de detalle y el carácter oscuro, satánico y jevimetalero (sin olvidar el toque humorístico) que imprime al personaje.
Adam Thomson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good to reminisce, but not so great now I’m old.
MjL
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, owned, scifi
"BE PURE! BE VIGILANT! BEHAVE!"
Nemesis the Warlock is very over the top with the ultraevil baddies, the humans (or Termites of the Empire or Termight, Mighty Terra) while the good guys are everyone else, the aliens. The Terminators want to cleanse galaxy of the vile filth of aliens, their mortal crime being: being alien.

The black and white art is full of details and cleverly (imo) hidden sillinesses. At some point the artist changes, I never stopped to pay enough attention to the effect it made.
Shane Kiely
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first few stories are a little patchy and the art work has so much going on it takes a bit of getting used to but once it finds its feet it's a very enjoyable world to explore. Plucky alien grotesques rebelling against a genocidal future Spanish Inquisition? Very difficult for something with that description not to be at least ok. The writing style is a bit overly formal bug it suits the material for the most part. There is a bit of repetition and an over abundance of recapping but that's to ...more
AJW
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Collection covering Books 1 to 4, contained in Progs 167-406, the 1981 Summer Special, and the 1983 Annual.

The artwork of Kevin O'Neill in Nemesis is what makes it so memorable, so having the droid Bryan Talbot do most of Book 4 is a disappointment. I particularly liked the story about the Blitzspears, but there is much to enjoy elsewhere. Nemesis is one of the reasons why 2000AD became such a popular comic as it is a story that would never be found in Marvel or DC in a million years. It is
Tama Wise
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it
I have a soft spot for Nemesis, not because I grew up with him in 2000AD. It wasn't until later that I saw him there, and then it was for the last few volumes of his adventures. I played the old c64 game, and not until now got to read the adventures of one of my favourite 2000AD characters.

There's some good stuff here. A great lesson in serial storytelling, that in Book 2 and 3 at least of this large tome whips along at a great pace. It's almost rather fun to see how the killed-yet-again
Russell Jones
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
2000 A.D. was a comic that shaped my childhood and nemesis was one of those characters that enriched my life.
I remember purchasing The Gothic Empire as a child and the artwork from both artists just blew me away.
Rereading it as an adult the themes of bigotry, oppression from a totalitarian regime hellbent on the destruction of an alien race was a great way to introduce to a young mind especially when the main hero was on the side of the aliens.
Robert Postill
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, got-it
I always had a soft spot for Nemesis and this book filled in a lot of stuff I didn't know. However there were some low points. With age I found less to like about Torquemada's resurrections (seriously couldn't he just escape?) and some of the politics feels patronising.

Saying that I loved the ideas, the great asides and the ABC Warriors. It was great nostalgia.
John
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I used to read 2000AD when I was young but never enjoyed Torquie much. I read this as preparation for some Dark Heresy role-playing, and still didn't enjoy it much. I find the art very busy and the story mostly predictable. However, there are a few classic moments that illustrate Torquemada's mercilessness, and some clever jokes.
Keith
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I never read this when it originally ran, but all the same reading it now is a gloriously nostalgic example of just how cutting edge 2000AD was back in the day. From the weirdly twisted and hugely detailed artwork to the constant invention going on with the story and world-building (it comes across as some sort of demented stream of consciousness at times) this is a great read.
Colin
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I picked this up for the nostalgia value but found it a bit tedious. The art is amazing though.
Dean Simons
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Crazy classic series as we meet the legendary 2000AD character Nemesis the Warlock. Steam punk, random and oftentimes clever. A fun opener (albeit a little corny at times).
Matt Piechocinski
The early 2000AD British guys are subversively great ... not only that, the artwork is superbly technical. Lots going on.
Petabyte
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kmks
Of course, back then it wasn't (the best of), but individual comics.
M.F.W. Curran
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't be doing that thing that I do without Pat Mill's creation.
Credo!
Matthew
Jul 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nemesis has some of the most startling art and deviant characters I have read in comics. Probably my favourite anti-hero in graphic story-telling.
Ed
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good bit of fun, intellectually and artistically stimulating. Give it a go.
Steven Sterlacchini

• No Encore!: Musicians Reveal Their Weirdest, Wildest, Most Embarrassing Gigs
  • España invertebrada
  • Nations and Nationalism since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality
  • JLA, Vol. 4: Strength in Numbers
  • El mito de la izquierda: Las izquierdas y la derecha
  • A Dream About Lightning Bugs: A Life of Music and Cheap Lessons
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • Gotham By Midnight, Volume 1: We Do Not Sleep (The New 52 - Gotham by Midnight, #1)
  • Rann-Thanagar War
  • Batman and Poison Ivy: Cast Shadows
  • The Importance of Being Aisling: Country Roads, Take Her Home
  • Warlock (Legends West, #1)
  • Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition 2
  • Why We Get the Wrong Politicians
Pat Mills, born in 1949 and nicknamed 'the godfather of British comics', is a comics writer and editor who, along with John Wagner, revitalised British boys comics in the 1970s, and has remained a leading light in British comics ever since.

His comics are notable for their violence and anti-authoritarianism. He is best known for creating 2000 AD and playing a major part in the development of Judge

The Complete Nemesis The Warlock (3 books)
  • The Complete Nemesis The Warlock, Volume 2