Jump to ratings and reviews

Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests

This is the classic readers' advisory tool and text, updated and improved for today's users. Genres and reading trends are demystified as more than 5,000 titles are classified, with two new chapters on Christian fiction and emerging genres. You'll also find essays by genre experts and the foremost proponents of readers' advisory today.

For the past 150 years, America's public libraries have supplied billions of books to billions of people, and most of those books have been (and continue to be) popular fiction. The new edition of Genreflecting explains not only what library patrons are reading, but why. In the process, it casts reading in a new light, demonstrating the way in which it functions as an essential information service that creates communities in culturally democratic ways.

Focusing on what today's readers read, this classic guide introduces current genre fiction and popular reading tastes. By defining genres, describing their features and characteristics, and grouping titles by genre, subgenre, and theme, the book helps those who work with readers understand distinct patterns in reading habits and book selection. It thus helps users identify read-alikes and other titles their patrons will enjoy.

Genreflecting has become a standard reference and readers' advisory tool for library practitioners, and an insightful text for students of library and information science. Building upon previous editions, this new volume features informative essays on the essence, history, and latest trends of various genres, contributed by top scholars and genre experts, edited by Dr. Wayne Wiegand. New chapters on Christian fiction and emerging genres (women's fiction and chick lit) have been added. In addition, more than 5,000 titles, approximately one-third new to this edition, are classified, focusing on titles published since the last edition along with perennial classics and benchmark titles. The popular feature D's Picks identifies new and noteworthy titles in each genre. Other features new to this edition include lists of selected classic authors and titles in each genre, sections on genreblends in those areas where they occur (e.g., horror/humor, mystery/romance), and three new essays. The Social Nature of Reading by Dr. Wiegand, The Readers' Advisory Interview by Dr. Catherine Ross, and A Brief History of Readers' Advisory by Melanie A. Kimball offer further insight into the nature and importance of this field. A standard professional tool for readers' advisors, and an invaluable collection development guide and text, this is a must-purchase for all libraries. Young adult and adult or Grades 10 and up.

584 pages, Paperback

First published December 1, 2005

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Diana Tixier Herald

10 books62 followers
I've had a lifelong passion for fiction and for putting people together with books. I never learned how to read, I just knew how from a very young age. I was thrilled to start kindergarten since I was sure I would find some books I hadn't read yet. I usually read between 300 and 500 books a year, mostly science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thrillers, romance, historical,and YA.

I write books about books. I get so much pleasure out of reading I want to share great reads with others. I started a web page in 1996 to serve as an update to my books or a preview to future editions. Many of my GoodReads reviews are drafts of the annotations I will be using in future editions of Genreflecting, Teen Genreflecting, Fluent in Fantasy, Strictly Science Fiction, or the yet unnamed guide to paranormal fiction.

My husband and I live in a sustainable earthship home we built on the edge of a remote Rocky Mountain canyon. We have 2 adult bio-kids and several who joined our family through fostering. We have grandchildren who love to read, too. Yay!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.