Start by marking “Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests (Genreflecting Advisory Series)” as Want to Read:

This is the classic readers' advisory tool and text, updated and improved for today's users. Genres and reading trends are demystified as more than 5,000 titles are classified, with two new chapters on Christian fiction and emerging genres. You'll also find essays by genre experts and the foremost proponents of readers' advisory today.

For the past 150 years, America's publ
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 559 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Libraries Unlimited (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Genreflecting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genreflecting

Start your review of Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
Emily Anthony
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Library Students / Library staff
I am library technician student, and this is the textbook used in my Reader Advisory Services class. The way it is written is interesting and not as boring as some other textbooks out there. The text itself isn't small and condensed, making it easier to read.

This very helpful for those who are taking a library related course, or want to learn more Readers Advisory Services.

It also goes into useful tools you can use when conducting RA services. There is also chapters that go into little detail a
Suzanne
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-school
Helpful for keeping up with genre trends!
{erika}
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LIS students focusing on public libraries/reader advisories
Recommended to {erika} by: Dr. Burnett
Shelves: grad-school, own
Very interesting and in-depth. Loved using this text for my Information Needs of Adults class, was a lot of help with my weekly genres. I loved the sections about my favorite genres in particular and the breakdown of recommended books. Lots of good ideas and material for my reader's advisory final project in regard to speculative fiction and science fiction. Informative and a really fun read for book lovers!
Nova
Every once in awhile I read a book about books, because I'm a librarian. This book explains stuff like why a fantasy is not science fiction, except when it is. That sort of thing. Reading something like this reminds you that all it takes to learn more, is to read more. And what a gift. I have a long list of books that have been added to my To Read pile.
Lisa
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the comprehensive booklist guide to genre fiction. I love the lists, the icons, the brief annotations. It's super easy to flip through and use as a reference. Written from a gal who reads 400 books a year, I will trust her book lists. Whoa nelly!
Amy Rae
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some chapters are stronger than others (and a few of the annotated book suggestions desperately needed an editor), but overall, it's an excellent resource for anyone looking for book recommendations by genre.
Kristina
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazing reference for what to read next! So many options within each genre....who knew there were so many subgenres out there?! Strongly recommmend for all future librarians out there to help with readers' advisory or just for personal use.
Dakota
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think the authors could have gone into considerably more detail on certain topics, like fantasy structure and history, but this book does a good job of introducing a reader or librarian to various genres.
Fallon
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
For what it is, this book is good. It gives a brief summary on all genres (although, I'm sure there are some subgenres that are left out) and gives a list of authors for that genre. I read it for class, but I will probably keep the book for future use.
Pamela Hubbard
Very similar to "A Few Good Books" but with more details about genres and sub-genres and more comprehensive lists and links to other resources.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
I'm still learning...at least until next Dec. This is actually a very good resource for librarians doing reader's advisory.
Sarah Phoenix
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A book about books...and more books to read...life doesn't get much better than anything about books!
Katrina
Such a great anthology for those in need of books! I can't wait for the new edition that is hopefully coming soon
Emily
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great text! I am happy I bought a copy because I expect I will use it frequently in my career. Interesting, funny, and a wonderful introductions to genres and Reader's Advisory.
Aisha
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lis
Great overview of genres for librarians just starting out. It features lists of popular authors of the genres and addresses problems and concerns about each.
Jane
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For library staff wanting to be more helpful to fiction readers and for fiction readers looking for good leads to good reads -- what a great book! Have fun...
Anita
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource. Published in 2006 - suggest an update or addendum be published soon to reflect the latest and greatest reads as this type of book can go out of date quickly.
Julie
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very useful and informative resource, especially for librarians. It's in need of an update though. The 2005 publication date is showing its age.
Eddie Kristan
Brooke
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Reefs of Earth
  • Working: People Talk about What They Do All Day and How They Feel about What They Do
  • Talking Heads
  • 14,000 Things to Be Happy About: The Happy Book
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • The Railway Journey: The Industrialization and Perception of Time and Space
  • Gig: Americans Talk about Their Jobs
  • Webster's New Dictionary of Synonyms.
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
  • The Conquest of Happiness
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • The Annotated Alice
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Emily's Quest (Emily, #3)
  • Emily Climbs (Emily, #2)
  • Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)
I've had a lifelong passion for fiction and for putting people together with books. I never learned how to read, I just knew how from a very young age. I was thrilled to start kindergarten since I was sure I would find some books I hadn't read yet. I usually read between 300 and 500 books a year, mostly science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thrillers, romance, historical,and YA.

I write books about bo