Start by marking “Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings” as Want to Read:
Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings

Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  270 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Confronting the overwhelming amount of stress kids face today, this invaluable guide offers coping strategies for facing the combined elements of academic performance, high achievement standards, media messages, peer pressure, and family tension.

The handbook acknowledges that adolescents commonly survive stress by either indulging in unhealthy behaviors or giving up comple
Published April 1st 2011 by American Academy of Pediatrics

To ask other readers questions about Building Resilience in Children and Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Resilience in Children and Teens

Kristin
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"If we want our children to experience the world as fully as possible-unfortunately with all its pain, and thankfully with all its joy-our goal will have to be resilience. Resilience is the capacity to rise above difficult circumstances, the trait that allows us to exist in this less-than-perfect world while moving forward with optimism and confidence even in the midst of adversity.

Resilience is not invulnerability, not perfection, not isolation from all risk. Resilience is the trait that parent
Casey Brehm
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
well, I personally could have done without the rape apologist and victim-blaming bullshit on page 99. just lost all respect for the author. I cannot finish this book.
Oliver
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review for 2nd edition:

For some reason, I thought this book was written for parents and teachers (the cover makes no such claim, but I guess I made the assumption based on the fact that the friend who I got it from is a teacher, and not a parent). The author says that the first edition was exclusively for parents, but in this one has a few points at which he addresses other groups, such as teachers, community programs, and even one chapter specifically to be read by children. Of course, there ar
Karen
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for parents and I will be purchasing a copy for family reference and reinforcement. Direct, clear, helpful information.
Tiffany
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful information and good to have on hand for reference even though I skimmed through many parts.
JC
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this book for work and found all kinds of great little nuggets in it. This is definitely a book that I'll be coming back to after my little one is born. Lots of great examples of how to improve conversations with children and youth to really make them think and answer their own questions. I've actually already started to implement some of the techniques I learned here with people I interact with - trying to be a better listener and asking better questions. Must read for parents.
Jenn
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is loong, and it took me a while to make it through. It's easy to read, but it's not compelling; however, the information inside is great. I have been more aware of how I listen to my children and how I respond to them. I hope that I can continue to improve these skills in our lives, even after I move on to another book.
Colleen
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best parenting books out there. I raised three children to adulthood before I read this but I wish this had been there to make me not feel so guilty for how I raised my kids! This book is given to Parent to Parent employees for the Military Child Education Coalition. It is EXCELLENT
Roxanne Nichols
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Some insightful stuff, but as a parent to a teen I find myself wondering if I've made too many mistakes and that I'm too late to correct/modify my kiddo's perspective of himself. I find myself not want to finish the book for this very reason
CJ
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best parenting books I have read in a long time. It encompasses a lot of the information shared by leaders in the field and presents the information in an easy to digest manner. A must-read for parents.
Maureen
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not a page-turner but a worthy read, especially for parents. Sadly, those who would most benefit from reading it probably won't.
Erika
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Anne
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
an excellent read for my teaching and my parenting self
not a fast read
but a meaningful one

tools to use with myself, my kids, and for families at work

highly recommended
Kristin
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Slow read but puts together every parenting advice I've ever heard into one book and intertwines them. Recommended!
Shannon
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very helpful strategies.
Katie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: therapy
This is an excellent resource as both a parent and a therapist.
Karen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great topic, down to earth advice for both parents and pediatricians and others who work with kids.
Kelly Carmichael
Really great book suitable for both parents and clinicians. I enjoyed having the author break down components of resiliency and provide steps to foster these strengths in children.
Mary
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent reference for parents and educators. I'm confident I will dip back into it often.
Linda
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Developing a child's resilience cannot be overemphasized or overvalued!
Nabi
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So many great strategies.
Kayla
Nov 21, 2015
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Lifeskills for Adult Children
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with Ad/HD
  • What Stories Does My Son Need?: A Guide to Books and Movies that Build Character in Boys
  • The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self
  • Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • The Object of My Affection Is in My Reflection: Coping with Narcissists
  • Dreamers, Discoverers & Dynamos: How to Help the Child Who Is Bright, Bored and Having Problems in School
  • Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships
  • Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads: Dealing with the Parents, Teachers, Coaches, and Counselors Who Can Make--or Break--Your Child's Future
  • Adult Children: The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms,  Post-its
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Fire in the Heart: A Spiritual Guide for Teens
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs