Start by marking “A Promise for Breanna (Angel of Mercy #1)” as Want to Read:
A Promise for Breanna (Angel of Mercy #1)

A Promise for Breanna (Angel of Mercy #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Angel of Mercy series follows the adventures of certified medical nurse Breanna Baylor as she seeks to serve her fellow man and restore her relationship with her true love-John Stranger of the Journeys of the Stranger series-in the post-Civil War West. A Promise for Breanna finds the heroine face to face with Frank Miller, the man who once broke her heart and led her t ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about A Promise for Breanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promise for Breanna

Heidi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely book - and a nice brain break from all the healthy eating research I've been doing! Looking forward to reading the other two books in this series.
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
After working in a small, frontier town as the only medical staff, Breanna finds herself a traveler on a wagon train heading towards San Francisco to visit her sister. She treats patients, performs surgery, delivers babies and fights off Indian attacks. All the while, she nurtures and teaches those around her.

I will admit that my first reaction to looking at this book was that it was a shallow romance novel. It captured my attention though and, for the most part, I enjoyed it. Filled with some r
Debra
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Jul 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Al Lacy has succeeded. I have absolutely no desire to read anything else he has penned. Poorly written, unrealistic, unidimensional characters, and multiple story lines without resolution or climax made this a two star book.

Lacy, however, doesn't stop there. This is preachy. Annoyingly preachy. Disgustingly preachy. As a Christian I find this kind of literature appalling. This isn't sharing your faith. This is abrasive and insulting.

Avoid at all costs!!!
Barb
I enjoyed this story but it wasn't one of those that really drew me in. There is a good bit of historical information kind of added to the story. Most I found very interesting and some I just glanced through without reading. A principal I respected in this story that I sadly find missing in a lot of Christian stories is that every Christian character sought a Christian mate as is instructed in God's Word.
Bethany Mustafa
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. I wasn't too excited about it during the first couple chapters as it appeared to be nothing more than a romance novel, but upon starting the third chapter my opinion quickly changed. I wasn't able to get enough of this book. I'm so looking forward to reading the second book.
Sheila
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this whole series and loved every one of them. Al Lacy ties in all his series of books one way or another and causes you to want to read them all. He gives the Gospel of salvation in every book he writes. His books always pretty much end up with a western setting......I highly recommend them all
Audrey
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes Christian Fiction books
Shelves: al-lacy-books
I started reading this series when I was in high school. All I remember is that it was one of those books I had a hard time putting down until it was read. I am definitely planning on reading it again soon. GREAT BOOK an GREAT SERIES!
Mary
Jul 08, 2012 added it
Set in the post-Civil War American west, this story follows a travelling nurse, a topic close to my heart. My knowledge of this era of American history was enhanced by reading this book. For anyone fascinated with the pioneer days, this is a worthwhile read.
Alicia Lowery
Sep 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm not a fan of this book. 318 pages of boring history details, names, waiting, undeveloped characters and one page of resolution. I don't think I'll finish the series.
  • The Union Belle: 1867 (The House of Winslow)
  • The Cowboy's Homecoming (The Cowboy Series, #8)
  • Montana Homecoming
  • Stranger at Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #1)
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
Al Lacy has written more than ninety novels, including the Angel of Mercy, Battles of Destiny, and Journeys of the Stranger series. He and his wife, JoAnna Lacy, are coauthors of the Mail Order Bride, Hannah of Fort Bridger, and Shadow of Liberty series. The Lacys make their home in the Colorado Rockies.
More about Al Lacy...

Angel of Mercy (10 books)
  • Faithful Heart (Angel of Mercy #2)
  • Captive Set Free (Angel of Mercy #3)
  • A Dream Fulfilled (Angel of Mercy #4)
  • Suffer the Little Children (Angel of Mercy #5)
  • Whither Thou Goest (Angel of Mercy #6)
  • Final Justice (Angel of Mercy #7)
  • Not by Might (Angel of Mercy #8)
  • Things Not Seen (Angel of Mercy Series #9)
  • Far Above Rubies (Angel of Mercy #10)