Start by marking “The Misanthrope's Guide to Life: (Go Away!)” as Want to Read:
The Misanthrope's Guide to Life: (Go Away!)

The Misanthrope's Guide to Life: (Go Away!)

Being Left Alone...One Irritating Situation at a Time. In "The Misanthrope's Guide to Life", readers learn how to get away from the pain-in-the-asses who make readers wish they owned a deserted island. Readers owe it to themselves to memorise these survival strategies for obnoxious situations, including: channel a weeping 4-year-old boy in urine-soaked X-Men pajamas to ...more
Published September 18th 2011 by Adams Media (first published August 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Misanthrope's Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misanthrope's Guide to Life

Start your review of The Misanthrope's Guide to Life: (Go Away!)
Reading Wolf
I am not even gonna lie....I wanna marry this book. Seriously if you like tongue in the cheek humor and don't mind a little bit of offensiveness (and if you do then lighten up) you need to read this book soon. It's free on Barnes & Noble and Amazon so you have no excuse NOT to go get it, download it, and read it. (Other than having no computer...in which case how in the world are you seeing this review????!!!!

NOW!
Erin
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Pretty sure only a true misanthrope would love this book. You don't count if you just "sometimes feel that way" in which case...you might be mildly amused by it, or just not understand it at all. Then you'll probably jump on Goodreads to give it one or two stars and say it was childish or contained too many bad words. But if you hate people and love the word sh*t, you'll love this book!

I loved this book so hard, and am pretty sure I will feel the need to read it once or twice a month.
M Hanson
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Misanthrope's Guide to Life (Go Away!) is the Bible for people who hate people. This book is written by two award-winning comedy writers. They are called "the thinking man's Beavis and butthead" (1). Even the authors of this book live in separate states: one in Washington D.C and one in New Orleans. The authors start with the definition of a misanthrope, and give you a choice of three definitions to pick from: from a" loner" to a "realist".
This book is organized into ten basic chapters.
Erin
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Taken from my blog; www.theultimatebooknook.blogspot.com)

Just the description alone made me want to read this book. I have my moments of, "I hate everything and everyone" so I really wanted to read this. And it was worth it, for the most part. There were parts that seemed to be taken right out of my brain at times. Others, I just thought were great ideas.

The book had me from the start. I laughed out loud several times. About half way through it, though, I got bored. It was almost like the
C.
Dec 31, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I obtained this as a Kindle freebie; I would rather have paid for it and not read it than read it and not paid for it. It's not funny, it's not useful, and it has a small but real need to be reviewed by a copy-editor.
Metro Mutt
Meh... Kinda funny, Kinda not, Its partly about how to deal with not liking people but how to fake it well. other parts is just the authors exp in situations. It was a read..
Angie
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with an empty bladder!
Hilarious book. Forget that bored expression you generally reserve for reading non fiction; dig in and be a hater! You will not read anything funnier!
Douglas Brown
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book!

very funny and most informative. i discovered that i am ...OMG... a misanthrope. oh, the pain! a must read book!
Shay Caroline
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-humor
I bought this for a friend, and after reading the first few pages, i thought it was going to be hilarious, and bought my own copy a few days later. It was okay, it had its moments, but on the whole it was only all right. To my mind, the humor crosses a line at times.
Jess
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I know a person who would love this book, for the somewhat crude humor (definitely laugh-out-loud at some points) and descriptions of misanthropic behavior which I find a little extreme, but suit that person very well. They'd probably give it 4 stars at least, but I'm leaving a 3 - it just doesn't strike that chord with me. The whole book is essentially a big inside joke, so as you can tell from the other reviews it's definitely going to leave some cold and others wiping away tears of mirth at ...more
Joanna
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Probably one of the most 'shallow' books I've ever read. Nothing original or 'clever', but rather seems like a passive-aggressive monologue of the authors who just found an outlet of their rage towards humanity.
To hate people is one thing, but to have an explainable reason as to why such hate exists is another, and this book seems to be lacking the latter.
Once again, if you are interested in a passive-aggressive stories and so called instructions on how to avoid people, this book is for you.
Rachel
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, maybe it makes me a terrible person, but when I saw the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. Besides, it was free on Kindle. I definitely got more than a few laughs out of it, but the language was a bit much. After about the 5th use of the "f-word" and several crude remarks, it stopped being edgy and just came off as unintelligent and unoriginal. I finished the book, persevering because it IS very funny, particularly for people like myself who can tend to be a bit...curmudgeonly. ...more
Cecily
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction, ebook
This book is mildly irreverent (some swearing throughout) but dang if it didn't make me guffaw. Honestly, the point is that these two authors have it ON THE NOSE. I am a misanthrope. I read in the staff lunch room so that people won't talk to me. etc. etc. The book is quite brilliant in categorizing the areas in which we are misanthropic and providing hilarious and sometimes practical solutions for the problem of TOO MUCH PEOPLE.

The formatting of the ebook version left much to be desired. I
David Brawley
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2016
I finished this book in a single 24 hour block... and that may have been a mistake. At the beginning of the book I was repeatedly laughing out loud, but by about half way through it just... lost something. Maybe it was too much of the same all at once? Maybe the writing started to go flat? I'm not sure. I feel a little bad giving it only 3 stars, given how much I enjoyed the first half of the book.
Susana
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I read this book on my airplane ride to Mexico and all throughout the flight I would have to bite my hand to keep from laughing maniacally. Thank goodness the people next to me were asleep so they couldn't see all the crazy dark humor I was laughing at. Is it bad that I really relates to most of the scenarios in the book?
Kamas Kirian
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, abandoned
I started this book, thought the first quarter or so was pretty good, then it bogged down in the sex/dating/marriage part and I lost interest. At some point I'll go back and slog through the last half, but for right now I'm gonna have to call it abandoned.

The eBook had several formatting errors, mostly punctuation. About half of what should be commas are apostrophes.
Rachelmbarrows
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
loved it, and laughed a ton. i'd say a true misanthrope would use the f word to turn people off but other people who dont understand that would call it "unoriginal" or used as a 5th grader. rolling eyes.
Justin
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some funny parts to this book, but it was really cynical and sarcastic. And even I, who enjoy how hilarious being insensitive can be, didn't care for the majority of what was in it. I probably wont ever read it again nor recommend it to anyone I know.
Nishmar Cestero
Great to lighten up when in the "I just can't stand anyone right now" mood. Also, I think it's best to read one or two sections at the time, otherwise it does seem to get very repetitive (same humour and topic).
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
It may be because I've been exposed to a lot of this type of humor, but there wasn't much here that felt particularly clever or original. It was amusing, but far from hilarious. I come away feeling pretty "meh" about it, and I'm sorry, because I wanted to enjoy it a lot more.
Eric Wallace
Jan 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mildly amusing, but not my style of humor. Gave up after a few chapters.
Kathleen
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of Meghan and Chris's 3 books to date. It was so hilarious and charming, it is the perfect diversionary book. Enjoy!
Beth
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical for the true misanthrope, the introvert, the aloof, or a wannabe of all of the above.
Lindsay
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read, especially for those of us who need our 'me' time.
April
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've never felt so understood in my entire life.
Julie
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book actually had me laughing out loud at points. If you often find yourself wishing the world away, you'll likely enjoy this book.
Josh Hamacher
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
A wonderfully funny book. Whether you are merely an introvert or an out-and-out misanthrope, you'll readily identify with large portions of this book. A fast read and well worth it for the laughs.
Hhfields
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
people who know me know this is EXACTLY how I think.
Serena Meloun
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny book about how to avoid people. You really have to have a dry sense of humor to appreciate this one.
Mike
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.675 stars. Starts out hilariously, tapers off for a while, gets funny again, but pretty repetitious after a while.

• Dirty Tricks, Revenge, and Getting Even: Anonymous Payback Methods in 2015
  • The Book On Evil, Wicked, Mean, & Nasty: A Whimsical Guide To Payback And Revenge
  • Sugar and Ice (Rinkside in the Rockies #1)
  • The Donnelly Tontine
  • How to be a Sh*#y Customer
  • GRAVEYARD HUMOR + GRAVEYARD COMEDY: DOUBLE FEATURE: FUNNY AND STRANGE TOMBSTONE EPITAPHS - DOUBLE BOOK
  • Murder, She Did It: A Murder, She Wrote parody
  • INSULTS - The Best Insults Ever - Win at any verbal argument!
  • You Called 9-1-1 For What?
  • Washington County Murder & Mayhem: Historic Crimes of Southwestern Pennsylvania
  • Notorious San Francisco: True Tales of Crime, Passion and Murder
  • Murder & Mayhem in Portland, Oregon
  • Murder & Mayhem in the Crescenta Valley
  • The Breakup Band Aid: A 12-step Program to Kick the Addiction to Your Ex
  • S.S. Beauty - Bound for Hell (Miss Fortune; Sandy Sue Morrow - Beauty Queen #2)
  • Murder & Mayhem in St. Lawrence County
  • Murder  Mayhem in Rockford, Illinois
  • The Dragon's Pregnant Mate (Shifter Dads #4)