Start by marking “Hot Damn!: Alligators in the Casino, Nude Women in the Grass, How Seashells Changed the Course of History, and Other Dispatches from Paradise” as Want to Read:

James W. Hall is the critically acclaimed author of eleven crime novels, including Body Language and Blackwater Sound. He's also published four books of poetry. And several of his short stories have appeared in magazines like the Georgia Review and Kenyon Review.

Now, writing in the spirit of Dave Barry and Garrison Keillor, Hall wins a new kind of reader with this collecti
Published June 16th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Damn!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Damn!

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Fun little stories.
If you're not from Florida or spent significant time there, you might feel left out.
False
Jun 26, 2017 False rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
A book of essays by author (and former poet) James W. Hall. He admits the essay is not his favorite writing form, but for a time it was a steady source of income for him. I didn't find these works particularly interesting and lacking the intensity of his criminal mysteries. The author would probably agree. I still contend the two formats of writing that age most quickly and fade are cookbooks and travel writing, and there are travel essays in this collection.
Aug 07, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Near the end of my summer in Florida, I figured I better read this book before I left and could no longer relate. And that's the thing, if the reader is familiar with Florida, like, really familiar with it, not just "spent a week there on spring break" kind of familiar, then s/he may find this collection of essays amusing, touching, and worthwhile. If one is not familiar with Florida, I'm not sure I would recommend this.

The essays are diverse, but all reach only about 4 pages in length. This is
Alex DeBlois
Essays are tricky. They often show a side of the author completely unrelated to the fiction they write. I have mixed feelings about how writers earn their living day-to-day and the novels they publish. Often they are so far removed, it's hard to keep my interest in the essays. Also they tend to be very provincial and timely as they are often originally consumed in a newspaper. Take the reader out of that time and away from the local knowledge the writer may presume and they become less interesti ...more
Drew
Dec 11, 2010 Drew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to finish this since I had finished what I was reading and wanted a little break before I started my next book. Some of these essays are excellent but many are just so-so. Hall is handicapped by covering the same territory as Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen and it doesn't help that the book's cover promises more of their brand of south-Florida hilarity.
Vince Gotera
Dec 16, 2011 Vince Gotera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this isn't the funniest book I've ever read, it's darn close. No, it is the funniest book I've ever read. Period. Bar none. Check it out. Get it for people on your Christmas or holiday list. Whatever. Your friends and relatives will love you for it.
Jen
Feb 03, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Denise Shereff
Aug 12, 2013 Denise Shereff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect Florida summer read!
Arlene Allen
Aug 19, 2011 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
1. I had James Hall as a teacher at FIU. 2. He has South Florida pegged. 3. He is funny as all hell.
Marc
Sep 17, 2013 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable but immemorable compilation of articles written for the type of regional light-reading magazine that has been driven into irrelevance by blogs
Jill Sapp
Jill Sapp rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Hal Brodsky
Hal Brodsky rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Sandra Barron
Sandra Barron rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Marcella
Marcella rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2017
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
TanyaB
TanyaB rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Kevin Knutson
Kevin Knutson rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
John Tomaszewski
John Tomaszewski rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Daryl Swanson
Daryl Swanson rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2015
Pamela Fraser
Pamela Fraser rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2007
Bruce Beck
Bruce Beck rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Ecglancy
Ecglancy rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2009

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for Excelle
More about James W. Hall...