Start by marking “Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,901 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
Damn You, Autocorrect! brings together some of the laugh-out-loud funny and painfully embarrassing posts from the hit website, which highlight the hilarity that often ensues when messaging goes wrong: girlfriends getting together for 'manila penis' (mani pedis); a husband texting his wife that he 'laid' the babysitter (paid); a friend asking if someone got tickets to the ' ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Damn You, Autocorrect!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn You, Autocorrect!

Loederkoningin
Now everyone who has ever used autocorrect (though autocorrect would much rather refer to itself as autoerect) must have experienced some of the mortifying situations described in this book..

Person 1: Sup, I'm at my place getting anal
Person 2: Dude naw
Person 1: Snack
Shit it autocorrects to anal inmeant snack. Dude that was the worst autocorrect mistake ever.

Person 1: I am soooo thirsty. Can you buy me a huge bottle of water on your way home?
Person 2: Yea. Of course. Why are you so thirsty?
Perso
TL
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Deborah Markus
Shelves: favorites
These types of books depend on your sense of humor I think, what some find funny others might only find "meh" or "mildly hilarious" Alot of the time I fall on the "meh" side with these humor books. I'm always wary but willing to try them out.

Luckily this time was one of the exceptions :).

Auto Correct was on my first Android phone... I wasn't too bothered by it at first but then it started giving me goofy substitutes for words or correcting a word after I typed it three times before it decided T
Deborah Markus
Dear Authors Of High-Concept Nonfiction:

People buy your books because the title tells them exactly what they need to know.

In this case, I knew before I even opened it that I was holding a collection of inadvertently hilarious text messages -- messages sent by people who innocently assumed their phones would not change family-friendly words like "pen" to "penis," thereby drastically changing the entire drift of messages like "I needed a pen and he wouldn't let me borrow one" or "I broke my pen a
Nikki
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
I think everyone gets to the stage where sometimes they just need to read something silly to clear out their brain, right? I was in that state when I was in Italy a few months ago, and ended up on damnyouautocorrect.com... So when I saw the book, I couldn't help but want to pick it up. Some of them I was familiar with already, and it is fairly mindless fun, but it is funny. From Freudian slips to surrealism, there's a whole world of badly autocorrected texts in here.

Proooobably not really worth
Saman
All and all it was worth it. I had a few good laughs.
Kayla Cagan
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I need a quick mind cleanser between reading novels. I don't usually pick up books that are crafted out of websites or technology flaws, and though I read humor essays and memoirs, I don't usually pick up joke books. But this little gem kept me cracking up, literally LOLing with tears falling down my face, for the last couple of weeks. I don't always laugh when I think something is funny - sometimes it's just a nod or a smirk or a mental note to myself that, "hey, that was funny," but ...more
Eva Leger
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-non-fiction, humor
I'll keep this short and sweet ~ most of the texts shown in this book are worthy of a chuckle or two. Maybe about, say, 65%. Give or take. About 20% are so damn funny I cried - numerous times - while reading them. As in, read a hilarious one and cry, stop, read another one, cray again, stop, here we go again, stop. Yeah. I'm for real. Then the other 15% or so didn't even belong.
IMO the hilarious ones, that 20% or so make the book worth getting and reading alone. I have to be honest though - I se
Jessica
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty quick funny read.
Jen Carstairs
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Motherducker!!! Autocockblock sucks!

I recommend this to everyone except for children under the age of 15 (because of the foul words; never occurred to me that smart phones are also perv phones!) and people with heart diseases (they might accidentally have a heart attack because of too much laughing!) because all of us need a hearty laugh once in a while!

I think what made this book funny is the fact that it happened and is still happening to people with perv smart phones!

I don't have a smart phon
Ann
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tears pouring down my face I was laughing so hard! I was trying to read my kids some of the more innocent ones, and I couldn't even speak I was laughing so hard! Read this in one sitting... Great for a laugh!!
David
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
V živote som sa pri žiadnej knihe toľko nenasmial. Fakt super.
Kylara Jensen
Funny at first but then got real old real fast. Skimmed through all the sections.
sam
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh my ass off with this book! Seriously, read these as an examples:

#1 - I broke my penis and it exploded all over my pants.
#1 - Son of a bitch... my pen... I broke my pen.
#2 - Hahahahahaha no fucking way. No. Fucking. Way. No way in hell did that just happen.
#2 - This makes my week.
#2 - I love you, man. I love you.

----------

#1 - Dude are you okay? All I hear is coughing coming from your cubicle!
#2 - Ha. Yea I'm fine. I just choked on my cock.
#2 - ***COKE
#2 - That was bad.
#2 - Wow. And on off
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Sammee (I Want to Read That)
Shelves: read-in-2012
This is one of those books that it is perfect to dip in and out of when you don't have much time but you want something to make you giggle. My friend has a stack of this kind of book in her bathroom for people to flick through.

I'm sure that anyone who has ever used a phone with autocorrect will know the perils of sending a text without reading it first but hopefully most of us will never send messages quite as embarrassing as the ones in this book!

I snorted with laughter several times while read
Rebecca
This and Cake Wrecks both get the prize for making me laugh until I literally cry. I can't go to this web site at work any more, because I turn into a hysterically guffawing mess. That said, having the book around to dip into is a guaranteed pick-me-up for anyone who loves typos (especially from a software that seems to have a dirty mind) and the wit it takes to overcome them.

My personal favorites (safe for work):

Do ducks have jackets? http://damnyouautocorrect.com/2625/wh...

Relationship advice
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Tell me something like this never happened to you? Excerpted from blurb:
The phenomenally successful damnyouautocorrect.com began when author Jillian Madison innocently tried to invite some friends over for gelato. Autocorrect, however, had another idea, and asked them over for a night of 'fellatio' instead.

Wooohoo--party time! (what, you can't have both? *blinks*)
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

This book claims these autocorrect disasters are from real people, but I don't buy that. Too many of them seem to be the same person. Same witty comebacks, same grammar, same weird capitalization of the word "phone." I do not deny that some of it was pretty funny... but for the most part it was just repetitious.

The most I can say is that it at least occupied me while my car was being serviced.
Ashley
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, quoted, 2014, 2-stars
I like funny autocorrects as much as the next gal, but I don't know, the book just seems like overkill. I can read most (if not all) of these - and more! - for free online, and though I did laugh a few times, there are funnier autocorrects out there.

My fave, though:
   I'm wearing lettuce under my sweatpants so I'm warmer...
Stefanie
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, non-fiction
Can't say I've ever had bad autocorrects like in this book but as I was reading this I kept laughing so hard. Great book to read for a laugh if you're having a bad day or just need some stress relief. And I'll keep on hoping that my autocorrects never turn out like these because I don't know how well I'd be able to save myself if it did.
Twofrontteethstillcrooked
I read this book when it first came out and was reminded of it today. (A nostalgic trip back in time to 2011...?) My copy was passed along to a like-minded friend afterwards, back in the day, and that was the best thing to do with it. If you're the sort of person who cries actual tears of laughter over these type of errors (and I am, because I'm four years old) it's a good book to share.
T.S. Pagan
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: laugh-out-loud
Warning: Do not read this book in public! High probability of ugly loud laughs with danger of snorting.

This was so funny!!! I loved! Could read awkward autocorrect fail moments all day and never get tired!
Anna
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Camille
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! Light, easy, quick, read a few a day for a good laugh! LOL
Karla
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy read. It is so funny, I laughed so hard I had cried! Auto-correct is dirty!
Mehsi
Some of these autocorrects where really funny, and some were just just lame or not funny. Also I wonder, does no one check their texts before sending them? It seems not.

Nice book though. :)
Karen
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, ebook, 2012, kindle, free
An entertaining read for anybody who has ever sent or received a text.
Ruchita Mahimkar
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ruchita by: Internet!
Everyone who owns a smartphone surely must have said these words-DYAC!. Its a hilarious collection of some great autocorrect mistakes. Must read for everyone.. Its Fantastic!
Sylvia Andrade
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book ever read!
Shannon Fay
Auto-corec helps us so much when we're texting every day, but what about when it makes mistakes, and corrects words we mean to write into other words? WEll, this book explores some of the best and most random auto correct fails.

It's fairly entertaining, and good for quite a few laughs.
But at the end of the day, it's just another funny book that I don't need taking up space on my shelf. I can read this stuff online anytime I please, and the precious space on my shelf is still going to be reserve
Flyingbroom
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it would be a funny toilet read. But it wasn't. It made me extremely bored. :(
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • F My Life