Start by marking “Making Great Decisions in Business and Life” as Want to Read:
Making Great Decisions in Business and Life

Making Great Decisions in Business and Life

The phrase "work smarter, not harder" has been repeatedly ridiculed in the Dilbert comic strip and elsewhere, not because it is a bad idea, but because it is thrown like a brick lifesaver to drowning employees. To tell someone to work smarter is like telling someone to be happier, healthier, and richer. It's not much help to merely repeat the objective; what people need is ...more
Published (first published November 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Making Great Decisions in Business and Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Great Decisions in Business and Life

Brian
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Being in business for myself for over 20 years, some of the lessons in this book I was aware of and have used in making decisions to ensure the best shot at success. I would advise anyone thinking about opening a business to read this. Anyone could benefit from the info in this book and therefore in my world makes for a worthwhile read. The authors are free market economists who value correct thinking in unison with business and life. Lots of great analysis, very little heavy duty economist jarg ...more
Patrick Peterson
I read this book shortly after it came out and liked it so much I hosted a dinner event for the two authors to talk about the book to a gathering of the Jefferson Club in the SF Bay Area.

The book was a very good application of some basic economic insights to how to deal with decisions, important and not so important in your life.

Many fun, touching and informative autobiographical examples were retold in the book.
The style I found not too preachy or too flip, just about right.

Recommended.
Zenzi
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was listed for advanced microeconomics class in grad school. We had to write a review on it and tie it to principle in economics. But, it turned out to be just a great common sense book for decision making! You don't need a degree in economics to read this!!
Suhrob
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read way too many applied decision theory/behavior psychology books, and much of the material keeps repeating. That is the case with this book too, but still this one sticks out for me as better than average. I really enjoyed it actually!

Also - just look at the cover. Incredible :)
Leila
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! I refer to it and recommend it often. The difference between reasons and objectives alone is a lesson worth reading this for.
Cara
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a not particularly useful book on decision-making. Some of it is useful (decision trees, risk, etc.) but the authors' libertarian nonsense gets tiring. It's not terrible, but I can't help but feel that there must be similar but better books out there. I'm also currently reading The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving, which is a bit better, but still not great.
Joseph
Tricia Smith
Aug 28, 2012
Kathleen
Mar 27, 2017
Professor of economics at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Fraser Institute and Independent Institute, editor of The Fortune Encyclopedia of Economics. Henderson also blogs for the economics blog EconLog along with Bryan Caplan.
From 1982 to 1984, he was the senior economist for health policy and, from 1983 to 1984, the senior economi
“Failures are divided into two classes—those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought. — John Charles Salak” 0 likes
“A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. — Unknown” 0 likes