Start by marking “A Contadora de Filmes” as Want to Read:
A Contadora de Filmes

A Contadora de Filmes

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,844 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews
Esta é a história de María Margarita, uma rapariga que revela um dom especial para narrar as histórias dos filmes a que assiste. Sempre que estreia um novo filme na cidade, toda a população contribui para pagar um bilhete de cinema a Margarita. Depois do filme, a jovem conta o que viu, de uma forma apaixonada, encarnando as personagens e transmitindo as imagens, a música e ...more
Published 2011 by Presença (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Contadora de Filmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Contadora de Filmes

·  6,844 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews

Start your review of A Contadora de Filmes
Alejandro
Great reading! – ¡Gran lectura!

This review is bilingual. You will find first the review in English and after that, you will find the review in Spanish.

Esta crítica es bilingüe. Usted encontrará primero la crítica en Inglés y luego de esta, usted encontrará la crítica en Español.

REVIEW IN ENGLISH

I was lucky to find this book and I enjoyed a lot its reading, indeed it is a very good book.

I found its premise irresistible…

…a young girl in a town, developed skills to “tell movies”, since the
Aminova
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories
I somehow felt like I was watching the italian movie ' cinema paradiso ' even though there is really nothing in common between them anyway , cinema is something that I adore too much , I don't watch movies just for fun or to waste my time so let me say it properly , I live in them so reading something about cinema was like a dream u know ! I read it in less than two hours , it was so good and so deep .
Abeer Abdullah
I've decided to read the arabic translation of every piece of literature written originally in spanish, they just translate much better to arabic. A short Novella full of nostalgia and a suffering that is common and obscure. It is also a novel which celebrates beauty as a thing which comes out of nowhere with no explanations and no guarantees. Something we cannot understand or have any control over. I loved this a lot and I loved this particular translation.
Suad Alhalwachi
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very sad story, I am not going to tell you the events as you have to read it to feel sad too.

The story is an epic example of poverty and broken family. What happens to children when the mother or the father leave is not something that I enjoy hearing about or seeing. Kids need both parents as each will teach them something, look after them, raise them well and protect them from the evils outside the house or at least how to handle that evil. The story tells us how a talented girl ended up suffe
Mary Mav
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The quickest most unexpected 5* read of 2020.It is so heartfelt and short, but definitely packs a punch and leaves a lasting impression.
مـيّ رفعت
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019
To be reviewed
Ameera Talal
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about this book..
Is it about the broken dreams we have?
Or is it about this cruel, unfair world we live in?

It just leaves a sad feeling in its wake..
Infada Spain
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Omar Fathy
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in 2 years...
Totally worth it!
Carlos Alonso-Niemeyer
Very quick, too short. It has good alegories of Golden Era of Mexican Movies.
I am looking for "la reina carlota cantaba rancheras", which I was told is a good one.
I al reading another from him right now. They are hard to find, my sister sent it
to me from Mexico.
Batoul Farghaly
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll write a proper review later :)
Fernando Pestana da Costa
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another book by the Chilean author famous for his portrays of the rough live in the far North of Chile, among the destitute saltpeter mines communities. In this short and moving narrative, a young girl is chosen by her father to be the family's movie storyteller: money is somehow gathered to pay for her movie theater ticket, and she afterwards tells the story to her family. Her magical ability at storytelling becomes legendary in town and her eager and poor audience quickly expands.
Thispageisnotapologetic
i picked up this book two hours later to put it down w mixed feelings i liked the story. i felt amused/sad/ sympathy towards the father and the movie teller. She lives in world filled of dreams and fantasies while in reality she lives in hell w/o mother or father. The only thing that bugs me that she hates vampires heheheh. I wish this book was an anime movie.
Aida
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great
Mena Asaad
(The Movie Teller)
This felt like watching a movie more than reading a book. The way she speaks about her passion is something else.
Ashgan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but I was expecting better, it started really great then it felt like it lacked something and it ended way too soon, it had more potential than that but it was still good enough
Alziber Mohammed
good novel with a sad ending
Hacer Nur
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a drama!
Moath
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After 10 years
I want to remember that i fall in love with this book
John
We think of place as permanent. Technology, the phases of our lives, and our social sphere - these we know are changeable. Contadora de peliculas shows us otherwise. Place is as ephemeral as anything else because it is defined by those other elements.

This short novel by the Chilean Hernan Rivera Letelier follows the rise and fall of the practitioner of a peculiar art: the telling of movies. Maria Margarita is elected by her family to be their representative at the single screen movie house is Ch
Reham Morsi
Loved the idea of it, but it was utterly wasted.
Siina
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I must say that the book was cute! Letelier writes her female lead so damn well and the flow of the text is amazing. It took no time to read this and the book just sucked me in! Even though the story is short, it is coherent and heart-warming as well as highly entertaining.

The sad part is that the end comes a bit too early and I would have wanted to read more. Letelier and other South American writers tend to write their young characters so well and the characters seem so genuine. The story in i
Peteksalman
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of 11 year old Chilean girl Maria Margarita, who has a gift of retelling & recounting movies. Since her family is poor and can only afford one movie ticket at a time, she is chosen to be the one who watches the film and reenact it at home later. Her great ability in doing so and entertaining her family makes her famous in her whole home town and she actually gets to charge her townies to watch her perform. However all good things must come to an end and the TV makes a d ...more
Sanna
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romaanit
The concept is interesting and the storyline is rather original. Unfortunately I had a major problem with the characters. I just couldn't get into them at all, all of them remained very distant. I feel like this book could've been much better if the characters had more strenght. It's the kind of a story that needs original characters and I just couldn't find them. The writing itself isn't good enough to save this book.
Renato Muller
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A short, sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, book on the life of a storyteller in a Chilean desert village. We follow the teenage years of poor girl, with a disabled father and four brothers and whose mother left the family years ago. The girl discovers she has a talent to tell her family the movies she watched in the cinema (they are so poor they can afford only one ticket), and soon she becomes the star of the village. Until something dark happens...
Bebe
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book because of the story I wanted to hear and it did end up delivering and measuring up to my expectations.
It was a 3 star for me, which basically means that I liked it, however this is one of those books that a 3 star is satisfying enough to end up wanting to pick some more from the same author.
definitely a lovely read.
Karsten Vestergaard
This novella probably doesn't take more than an hour or so to read, and is definitely worth the effort.

It is an aching story about being left behind, although it manages to touch on many subjects: Poverty, family, progress, and escaping from the harsh realities of life through imagination. No small feat for such a short story. Highly recommended.
Sana Abdulla
La contadora de peliculas by Hernan Rivera Letelier : a very short novella that can be read in a little over an hour, an extremely sad tale of a girl who becomes a star in her small mining village, told by her, its tragic nature is obscured by the resilience and adaptability of children born in hard times. Deserves 2.5 stars
Tuula
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book of a girl who watches movies and narrates/describes them to the people of their village. Quite intense reading experience, it pulls you in, and doesn't want to let go. Lots of small chapters, clear characters and despite eventualness of everything, there was still hope at the end.
Fatma
The story is condensed, the writing is on point, and the translation is raw and clear.
Salih Uthmani did to Hernan Rivera Letelier’s novel what Maria did to the movies; tell the story brilliantly!
Too bad I didn’t enjoy it though.

• حقيقة الحجاب وحجية الحديث
  • حارس سطح العالم
  • التفكير العلمي
  • لا تقولي إنك خائفة
  • أب سينمائي
Until the age of 11 he lived in the Algorta saltpeter mining town (north of Chile), after that his family moves to Antofagasta city, where he works in numerous jobs. For three years he travel by Chile, Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador and Argentina , and later started living at Pedro de Valdivia (another saltpeter mining town), where he finish high school and graduates as secondary teacher in INACAP.
He has

News & Interviews

“كنت أريد أن أكون شيئاً آخر في الحياة.
لست أدري ماذا، ولكن شيئاً آخر.”
169 likes
“لماذا أرتضي أن أكون مجرد حشرة حُباحب مضيئة، بينما بمقدوري أن أصير نجمة".
أم ماريا، راوية الأفلام”