Start by marking “Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography” as Want to Read:
Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography

Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When his life came to a sudden and tragic end on October 25, 1999, Payne Stewart was at the top of his game on every level. In June of 1999, he enjoyed the signature triumph of his career and solidified himself as one of the exemplary personalities in his profession with a victory at the U.S. Open and a place on the coveted winning U.S. Ryder Cup team. However satisfying h ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by B&H Publishing Group (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Payne Stewart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payne Stewart

Alec Velasco
This book was a biography of Payne Stewart. Payne Stewart is one of the best and most famous gilders who ever played the game. He was especially known for his golf apparel. He would wear a "tam'O shatter hat," with checkered knickers, and a sweater. Although he was famous for his dress, he was more famous for his golf game and good character. Payne won three major championships in his shortened golf career. They were the U.S Open twice and the PGA Championship. His most memorable win was the 199 ...more
Todd Miles
This was hardly a page-turner, but was interesting for golf fans and those who enjoyed watching Payne Stewart play (like me - the 1999 US Open was the most gripping gold tourney I have ever watched). The writing was not sensational, but it was readable. The strength of the book was the record of the day-to-day activities of PGA golfers and the kind of life they lead. More information on his childhood would have been interesting (how much did he play and practice as a youngster?) - though this is ...more
Susan
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read, I am not a golfer, I do enjoy watching a golf game every now and then, so to read a book about a golfer was going to be a new experience. When I was younger I remember vaguely seeing Payne Stewart on occasion. He was a few years younger than me, but I do remember the fateful day of his passing. The book is a very good read and one that I would recommend reading for anyone who likes to read Biographies and Autobiographies.
Victoria Slotto
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read, especially for those who are into golf. My guess would be that others would be bored with some of the details of Payne's important tournaments. Good character development with a balance between strengths and weaknesses, giving a rounded portrait of this PGA pro. Tracey Stewart's ghost writer acquited her story well.
Dj Wells
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful biography of a man who tragically lost his life in an unbelievable accident. Born in Missouri and a lover of the game of golf from childhood, Payne grew up to realize his goal of competing as a PGA Professional and winning the PGA Championship and US Open in his career. A dedicated Christian husband and father, the story brings a tear to the eye.
Tyler
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My all-time favorite golfer, and one of my favorite sports figures ever. I Use to wear knickers, argyle socks, and the funny golf hat just to be like him.
Chad
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you even halfway enjoyed Payne Stewart as a golfer, read this book.
Tim
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good account of his life and faith journey. I appreciate his witness to this day.
Bonnie
Jun 30, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
About a golfer with ADHD
Lisa Christy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words

What a man, what a life.....what a tragedy. I remember a lot of those events.....such a loss to sports and golf
Billy
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-s
Very impact full story about a great man
Rhonda
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my uncle was Payne's good friend and there are pics of them in this book. However....his story was inspiring when I was not expecting it to be. Good read.
Rendier
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Not earth shattering, but still an interesting look at the life of a PGA tour golfer.
Jay
Its good.
Travis Blayton
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The unbelievable life of the late and great Payne Stewart.
Scott

• Life Sentence
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • Steve Williams: Out of the Rough
  • Golf My Way
  • King of the Night: The Life of Johnny Carson
  • Fanny Crosby (1820-1915): The Hymn Writer (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Dream On: The Challenge To Break Par In A Year