Start by marking “The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil” as Want to Read:
The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil

The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil

What would you do for five million dollars? Adam and Evia Langston have lived in their own little garden of Eden since the two married at the age of seventeen. Working their way up from the humblest of beginnings, the Langstons have thrived beyond anything they could have ever imagined. Now they live in the finest home, drive the best cars, and indulge in all the trimmings ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil

Start your review of The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil
Camille
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: twice-read
Interesting, though not realistic.

This story can be slated as a cautionary tale of when faith in GOD is replaced by faith in money. A quick read, and the end had me wanting to know much more.
Tanishia Pearson
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Omg!
This book was intriguing from the very first chapter all the way to the end. I was outdone by the propositioned deal. I was on edge as Adam and Evia tried to keep in step with this dance but reality set in because the Devil truly is this kind of cunning.

What would you do if your livelihood was stripped away and the devil's representative presented you with the deal of a lifetime?
This was the case with Adam and Evia. Victoria Christopher Murray penned a classic example of what can happen
Reader's Paradise
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Headline: “What’s your price?”

Evia Early Evans and Adam Langston loved each other since they were kids growing up in a rough D.C. neighborhood. They both dreamed of leaving their situations behind wanting a better life for themselves. But when a tragedy brings an alternate beginning to their future, they get married and welcome a lovely set of twin girls into the world and then later a son. Evia and Adam worked hard to provide for their family and finally made their dreams their reality.

The
Patriciaw
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very different book for VCM, I think, even from her other single titles. But no less satisfying. In fact, this one put me off-kilter and kept me that way, even after I'd finished the story. Many people can relate to the issues that arise for Adam and Evia, if not to the offer extended to them. Marriage is difficult, and financial pressures along with childrearing responsibilities and family obligations can drive a stake through the best relationships. Victoria Christopher Murray examines this ...more
Lawrence
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to all GR friends.....highly!! What a great book. The author, Victoria Christopher Murray, will keep you guessing until the end. Great job VCM!!
Cheryl
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Adam and Eva Langston have come a long way from where they both grown up in the slums of Washington, D.C. They have three children, a nice house, cars and they are being in the money. Well they were bringing in the money. This is until Adam was let go from his job. Now with the recession, they are trying to survive on a one person income. When Eva’s boss, Shay-Shaunte makes an offer to Eva, she must choose whether to make the deal with the devil.

What Eva and Adam were going through is what is
OOSA
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Negotiable Commodity

Real love! The Langstons, Adam and Evia, have been blessed with an infectious relationship that others envy. After sixteen years and three children, the couple is still as strong as ever. Or are they? When Adam loses his job and they blow through their savings, they realize that Evia's income cannot keep them in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to. On the brink of a foreclosure, repossession and mounting debt, the couple tries to remain optimistic. With everything
Rhonda McKnight
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In her tenth novel, Victoria Christopher Murray has penned an emotionally gripping story that has brought to life a cast of characters caught up in a tragedy as timeless and evocative as those of the Ancient Greeks or Shakespeare. Evia and Adam were a couple living the American Dream, until Adam lost his high paying corporate job. Now they find themselves living the American nightmare. There's more month than money and financial ruin is imminent, but there's a life raft - an offer of $5 Million ...more
Rhonda
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
You ever read a book and then go...'Dang!'. Yeah. That was this one. Great offering from VCM. I started it and once I got a third in I couldn't stop reading until it was done. I had to know how it would turn out. Pretty edgy as far as Christian Fiction goes and I didn't like the way some of it was written, but the message was definitely there. This is definitely a book that stays with you. Not for the faint of heart!
Flashette
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have the privilege of giving Victoria Christopher Murray's novel 5 stars. What a book! Oh my goodness....it kept me thinking and wondering how I would react in a similar situation. It also shows how it takes just one little thread to unravel a whole sweater! LOL. Bravo! {crossing fingers hoping for a sequel}
Cecelia
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it

First Timothy 6:10 - For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

This scripture is what ran through my mind as I was reading this novel. Adam and Evia Langston are a happily married couple with three kids. Adam was laid off from his well-paying corporate job several months ago and now the family is struggling to survive. Their savings have been
ConSonia
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A*M*A*Z*I*N*G Where s part 2 I feel like there should b one I know the DEVIL had a field day with Adam and Evia marriage & home life but I feel like there wasnt a true ending to their story.. Shay Shaunte The Devil has moved on to another State to burn more people. Definitely feel her story will continue.
Eleanor McGee
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hope there is a sequel!!!!!!
Love the book
Cheryl
Evia and Adam Langston met when they were very young. I laughed when I saw that Evia called him "Banana-Pudding-Guy"! LOL! They lived in "Barry Farm which was the oldest African American neighborhood in DC and it was still ninety-nine percent black and one hundred percent poor." (e-book location 205-11) It was a very high crime and drug area. Something happened and things moved along much faster than they anticipated. Adam's mother Ruby was very good to Evia and treated her like her own--unlike ...more
Tazzyt2bossye
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ms. Murray has penned a phenomenal read with a biblical yet realistic concept that will intrigue you from the initial introduction. Adam and Evia Langston beat the odds and have attained successful lives despite the statistics that stated they'd never escape the hood. Adam has lost his high paying job and the luxury vehicles are at stake, the lavish house is threatened, the children's dreams and futures are tremulous, their parents livelihoods are questionable...Adam and Evia's family is slowing ...more
Dan
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Adam and Evia Langston were living the good life until Adam loses his six figure salary and their financial problems begin. They are fighting off the tuition of their kid’s private schools, possible foreclosure of their big house and Evia’s mother greedily wanting her monthly check.

Then Evia’s boss, the private but highly successful Shay-Shaunté proposes a five million dollar deal. Will they take it or leave it? The deal; Adam has to spend Shay’s 50th birthday weekend with her alone. Then the
April
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The devil comes but to kill, steal and destroy!! That's EXACTLY what "her" mission was in this novel that Victoria Christopher Murray penned so exceptionally well.
This novel was suspenseful, full of surprises, twists, turns and kept me on the edge of my seat as I turned the pages.

What happens when your perfect life is turned upside down by the cares of this world? Adam and Evia Langston grew up in poverty, married young but worked hard, studied harder and beat the odds to live a good life, but
Krystal
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was quite different from any other Christian fiction book that I've read in the past. This book was very current with what is going on in the world today: the recession and financial woes. I wasn't exactly sure of the direction that this book would go into when I started reading it, but once I got into it, I really really liked it. It had some "gunk"(unnecessary sexual material), which I stay away from when reading, but I just skipped over that and continued to read. I loved the ...more
MZURAQT
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Will you do anything to keep your family happy?

Evia and Adam are a happily married couple,With their twins and son they are the perfect family.Things are going well until a lay off has appeared.Once it seems they have hit rock bottom a five million dollar offer has been handed to them on a platter but is everything that glitters gold?

Bravo VCM.This was my first read by her and I must say that I was not disappointed.From page one I was grabbed right in.I love the characters.I felt their
Revae
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A husband and wife are offered a once in a lifetime proposition: $5 million dollars for another woman to spend a weekend with the husband. The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil outlines a story about the sanctity of marraige and the importance of God in that marraige. After reading this book, I am further convinced that it matters where you go to church and beware of how sneaky the devil can be. I enjoyed reading this book. I am a fan of Victoria Christopher Murray, and this book did not ...more
Shavonna Futrell
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read, I started out listening to it and ended up having to grab the book and finish it cause I could now wait to find out what happened. This book was not predictable at all, I would love to see a sequel to see what happened with the family and the new baby in the city of Angels.
Natasha
Wasn't the ending I expected, which I like - not exactly predictable. It kept me intrigued and wanting to see what happened next. The family seemed so real, like I knew them, I was pulling for them to come out on top the whole way through. Very good read! I think this book should be the start of a series with Shay-Shaunte's "deals" with other people/families. I'd read them =)!
Kimberly
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved The Deal, The Dance and the Devil. It was a whirlwind for me. It kept me wondering where was their faith and who was there first love. In the end all of my questions were answered. This is a story that many of us can relate to.
Amanda
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This ranks high on the list of favorite Victoria Christopher Murray novels. I can’t believe I waited this long to read it. Her writing style and storytelling are second to none and this novel is no different.
Sheryl Boyce
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hope there is another book to follow...
Carmen Blalock
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Evia and Adam Langston have the ideal marriage, loving relationship with their 3 children, a beautiful house, great jobs and they definitely have the passion for each other. How are they going to deal with their families and finances when Adam loses his job and can't find another one?

Shay-Shaunte' is Evia's boss and a very private person. When she calls Evia into her office and hands her a check for $5 million dollars Evia automatically thinks that it is a joke, but Shay-Shaunte' is not the type
LaShawn
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another success from Victoria -- what a whirlwind of a ride with this family as they maneuver through (and manipulate) a sudden change in their lifestyle as a result of a tricky decision!

Loved the parallel the author makes with a very significant Bible story. The characters, though flawed and sometimes melodramatic, are also QUITE real! It's easy to imagine different situations/decision, but I could imagine the situation playing out exactly as written.

If you have a book club, this is an
Elise Randall
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. This book just goes to show what happens when you don't wait on the Lord. I can't believe that this woman was putting this plan in place for six years. However, I did know that she was up to something. They didn't even realize that she actually breached the contract first. She did not return Adam home at the time specified in the contract. And who's car did he drive when he did get there? I enjoyed reading this book though, her family is a trip and once they started having problems people ...more
Metris
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my official 1st book by Victoria Christopher Murray and I promise it will not be my last. I can't even put into words what I felt reading this...feelings and emotions where all over the place!
God has a strange way about opening up your eyes to different situation and I can truly say God gut punched me on this one. All my thoughts and views of certain relationship issues; Evia & Adam & their family & life chooses has altered my views.
This is a MUST READ!!!!
Kia
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I actually read it in one day! It's a definite page-turner and makes you think about marriage and family in a different light. I had the privilege of hearing Victoria Christopher Murray speak about the book during a book fest. I will say that it took a bit to get into it because the beginning covers many details and kind of drags on with some of them - but you totally forget that by the end because you become captivated by the story. Great read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Everybody Say Amen
  • Better Late Than Never (Reverend Curtis Black #15)
  • The Devil is a Lie
  • Disappearing Acts
  • My Brother's Keeper
  • Secret Indiscretions
  • What He's Been Missing
  • Flyy Girl (Flyy Girl, #1)
  • Queen Sugar
  • Consequences
  • Scandals
  • The Book in Room 316
  • What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day (Idlewild, #1)
  • Can't Get Enough
Victoria Christopher Murray is the author of nine Essence bestselling novels, including The Ex Files; Too Little, Too Late; and Lady Jasmine. Winner of the African American Literary Award for Fiction and Author of the Year (Female).

She has received numerous awards including the Golden Pen Award for Best Inspirational Fiction and the Phyllis Wheatley Trailblazer Award for being a pioneer in African