Start by marking “11 Experiments That Failed” as Want to Read:
11 Experiments That Failed

11 Experiments That Failed

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  911 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
"This is a most joyful and clever whimsy, the kind that lightens the heart and puts a shine on the day," raved Kirkus Reviews in a starred review.

Is it possible to eat snowballs doused in ketchup—and nothing else—all winter? Can a washing machine wash dishes? By reading the step-by-step instructions, kids can discover the answers to such all-important questions along with
Published September 27th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about 11 Experiments That Failed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 11 Experiments That Failed

Cheryl
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Buy this for your classroom, and for every family with patient parents that you know. Humanity desperately needs more scientists. And I believe the other reviewers who say that this short, funny book will inspire children to engage their curiosity to explore their world. And at the same time it does introduce some of the key aspects of the scientific method.

And, of course, though it shouldn't need to be mentioned, it's wonderful that the MC is a girl.
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

History with all its facts, dates, theories, and changes always inspired me to read, study, and learn as a kid. So my love and fascination with science experiments has always shocked me a bit. Now mind you—science class *snooze, bore, drool* rarely held my attention. (*Exception: The Periodical Table of Elements section always fascinated me. I researched every single element and property….Anywho) I mean the handmade, do around the house, hope the kitchen doesn’t blow up kind of experiments! Let’
Jessica
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
For some reason, I thought that 11 Experiments That Failed would be about historical experiments that failed, like... uh, I can't even think of any. But you know what I mean. However, it turned out to be something a lot more whimsical and fun than that. It's about a nameless girl who performs 11 "science experiments." Each would be a stretch to call "experiments," given that the hypotheses are things like, "A kid can survive on a diet of snowballs and ketchup." But they're really fun and what's ...more
Dolly
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious book about a very curious and imaginative girl who conducts a series of experiments to answer her questions. My husband has often encouraged our girls to answer a question by posing a hypothesis, conducting an experiment, and observing the results. He encourages this empirical exploration in order for our girls to discover the truth for themselves, rather than just being told.

The questions and experiments that the little girl comes up with are quite creative and certainly ev
Tasha
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A series of experiments take place in this book, each one funnier than the next. They attempt to answer questions like: Can a kid make it through the winter eating only snow and ketchup? Do dogs like to be covered in glitter? Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee? The only way to find out is for the protagonist to test it scientifically. That means trying to eat only ketchup and snow and observing the results. Sprinkling her dog with glitter to see what happens. Testing flight capabilities ...more
Amy
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My niece read this on her own over the weekend, and then we read it together today. I asked her what she thought of it, and she said, "I *loved* it! It was just great! And it was funny, and it also inspired me to try my own science experiment!" Naturally, I was delighted by this. Her question was, "Will regular liquids turn into fizzy liquids?" According to her, her hypothesis was, "Yes. If I stir them." Apparently her hypothesis turned out to be correct, especially with vigorous stirring. :-) 1 ...more
Taylor
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
I loved this book! I chose this book as a WOW-book because of the scientific vocabulary and the use of the scientific method. Because of that, I decided to use this book as my Science Fiction book. I think this would be a great book for any grade, k-5! "11 Experiments That Failed" by Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter is a wonderful book all about promoting a growth mindset. I would use this book to show my students that any question can be turned into a scientific question as well as to show them ...more
katayoun Masoodi
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, ebook, z-humor
so happy that beavers were mentioned!!!
Valerie Barnhart
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
1. Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty copyright 2013. Twin text for celebration of achievement of inventors nonfiction set.

2. I selected this book to demonstrate the scientific method for students. It takes a look at a step-by-step process to reach the result. In relation to Rosie, students can determine whether or not the author of the 11 Experiments felt failure or had things turn out differently than expected. She didn't let failure of embarrassment stop her from trying things again.

3. Th
A delightful follow-up to 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore, both text and art avoid a sophomore slump. There is as much predictability in the text, but this time it is format rather than words, as the young troublemaker keeps scientific notes about hypotheses, procedures, and observations, an interesting twist for a struggling reader. Similarly, the illustrations have been made with the same media and process, but Carpenter has upped the collage feeling in a way that supports the text's l ...more
Nick
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, science
This clever story clearly demonstrates the difference between intelligence and wisdom, as the little girl tries various "experiments" with no real idea of the possible consequences.
Ranging from a trial diet of ketchup snowballs to the testing of bologna frisbees, her ideas are hilarious, and generally doomed from the start. Still, her brain is fertile, tenacious and amazingly warped. I expect her to grow up to be a mad scientist of the finest caliber.
Any kid who has ever tried to do something wh
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The author of 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do comes up with another list book. This time, our main character shows all the experiments she tried that failed, cleverly revealing in the process the quirky quality of children’s thinking. Absolutely delightful.

“Question:
What makes fungus grow?

Hypothesis:
If left in a closet, food will rot and become a colorful fungus garden.

What You Need:
Brother’s shoes
Bread and cheese
Water

What to Do:
1. Place food inside shoes.
2. Sprinkle with water.
3. Hide shoes in
paula
Ok, stop: the peaceful, rapturous expression on our girl scientist's face as she lets fly a slice of bologna in the school cafeteria would have sold me on this book even if I had not already been giggling, snorting, and cackling on almost every page prior.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Dianna
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for budding scientists. My five-year-old laughed his way through. We get a question, hypothesis, instructions, and conclusions for each experiment, from "What makes fungus grow?" to "Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee?" While there is more mischief than science going on in this book, it is a solid, silly introduction to the scientific method.

The illustrations are an interesting combination of ink and digital media. I liked them.
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The increasingly-rare picture book that holds the 2nd grader's attention and tickles his sense of humor. I loved the premise, the illustrations, and the silliness.
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beckah
Shelves: j-non-fiction
This was very funny. I want to read it to my visiting 2nd graders, even though I'd planned this whole guessing game theme--experiments are kind of games, right!?
Tara
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not as good as 17 things i'm not allowed to do anymore but a laugh out loud kind of book
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This has a format of question, hypothesis, what you need, what to do, and what happened.

I initially thought this was going to be out real scientists with failed experiments.

Instead, it's made of kid questions.
* Can a kid make it through the winter eating only snow and ketchup?
* What makes fungus grow? (involves growing things in her brother's shoe)
* Would gerbils like bigger wheels? (involves a ferris wheel)
* Do dogs like to be covered in glitter? (results in a pink backyard)
* What is the best w
Leah Edel
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Summary:
This book includes 11 different experiments that the young girl tried, and they did not end up going the way she thought it would. First, she would say the question, then the hypothesis, the needed things, steps to complete it, and lastly the results of what happened. An example of one of the experiments she did was if a person could survive off just snow and ketchup for all of winter. She believed that someone could, and to find out she needed snow and ketchup. After experimenting, she
Jessie
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
This is formatted as eleven experiments by a kid. It's formatted with materials, hypothesis, procedure, and results.

Some of the experiments are more scientific, like watering plants with different liquids, growing fungus, and some are silly, like taking a gerbil on a Ferris wheel.

Not all of the hypotheses/experiments match. ("Dogs like everything" isn't a particularly testable hypothesis.)

It would have been nice to see a successful experiment so that it's not just a kid's curiosity constantly ge
Hans
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A few years back, I checked out Offill's book 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore. Hilarious text and perfect art design. I thought it would be a good niece gift, but that it would make more sense if she was into school. Now she is at a point where I need to get these books in her hands before she thinks they are too young for her. I think she is at the sweet spot for both 11 and 17.

I hope she gets just the right amount of ideas from these books. [insert avuncular laughter]
Roy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sheer fun to read quickly. Lightly done, but still with an honest, loving respect for the scientific method: question, hypothesis, experiment, results/observations. It isn't her fault that sometimes the result is "Mom cries" -- but neither does she fail to note it. I particularly like the visual touches, like holding the paw of the gerbil (in the experiment on whether gerbils would like larger wheels), presumably so it wouldn't be scared.
Sarah Adamson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent picture book to inspire young minds to try out crazy science experiments and how the results aren’t always what you hope for. Laid out according to scientific method - needed items, instructions, hypothesis, results and analysis.
My daughter loved this book! Laugh out loud and eugh moments!
Kalynda
Science process gone askew. Students will delight in these question lead experiments, and I am can almost guarantee that they will be eager to share some of the experiments they have come up with...and their results. Oh boy! While I love the explicit process being used throughout the eleven experiments, I would also be sure to point out a key first step (and a throughout step)...observation.
Charlene Doland
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun introduction to the scientific method.
Kendall
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was boring
Maria Waltner
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Very much like the other - 17 things I can't do anymore - with a precocious kid that doesn't really think things through. Her poor mother...
jeffrey.Lim is so super duper cool add me up boi
I really liked this book. This book was a really funny book.
Betsy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is awful. Nothing about science. It attempts to interest both adults and children and fails miserably. We will be donating it soon. Possibly to a landfill.
  • I Wanna New Room
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
Jenny Offill is an American author born in Massachusetts. Her first novel Last Things was published in 1999 was a New York Times Notable book and a finalist for the L.A Times First Book Award.

She is also the co-editor with Elissa Schappell of two anthologies of essays and the author of several children's books She teaches in the MFA programs at Brooklyn College, Columbia University and Queens Univ
More about Jenny Offill

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99