Start by marking “The Orphan Sister” as Want to Read:
The Orphan Sister

The Orphan Sister

A lyrical and thought provoking novel perfect for book clubs, The Orphan Sister by Gwendolyn Gross questions the intricacies of nature and nurture, and the exact shape of sisterly love…

Published July 5th 2011 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of The Orphan Sister
Barbara
Sep 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Am I the only one that thought that this book was boring? It was a real struggle to get through it. If there was a plot line, it was a flimsy one. This is one book that won't grab you after the first few pages. It didn't grab me after 280 pages. The odd triplet makes herself the victim and just seems to me to be self centered. She comes across as an angry woman for no reason whatsoever. If there was a half star rating I would have given that for this book. The author skips from the present to th ...more
Nancy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
My take: The story is an interesting one because it is ultimately about the internal struggle of wanting to belong yet fighting for individuation. I wasn't as much interested in the family conflict as the family dynamics and the way Clementine goes about looking for her other half, as Odette and Olivia have one another.

The story is based upon a set of triplets, now 29 years old. Olivia and Odette are identifical twins while Clementine's egg just happened to fall down the fallopian tube the same mont
Vivian
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think that there are periods in our lives when we all may feel out of step with our siblings and/or family. We simply feel as if we don't fit in for some reason. This appears to be the underlying theme of The Orphan Sister by Gwendolen Gross.

Clementine Lord feels out-of-step with her sisters, even though she is a triplet. It doesn't help that they are identical twins and she is simply the "sister." Or at least that how it feels to her at times. Clem's sisters are high achievers and have beaut
Tracy
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Orphan Sister is supposed to be a book about a set of triplets, Clementine, Odette, and Olivia. Odette and Olivia are identical with Clementine being the lone sister out. Their father is a pediatric neurologist who one day goes missing. One of the triplets knows about her father's secrets but won't tell the other two, and Clementine makes it her mission to discover it.

The characters were very one dimensional. There was absolutely no depth to the characters. The twist in plots wer
Roxanne
Boring, could not get into this story. Character names were to start with.
Amanda
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Interesting twists and turns. Enjoyed learning about twins/triplets.
Emily Park
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Every now and then, you read a book where nothing much really happens, but the book is still completely engrossing and enjoyable to read. This is one of those books. Clementine Lord is one daughter in a set of triplets. Through a strange quirk, her two sisters are identical, while Clementine is fraternal. Although she shares a strong bond with her sisters Olivia and Odette, Clementine has always felt like something of an outsider. The three daughters grew up with a famous pediatric neur
Alex
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
At First Sight: Clementine Lord has always felt a little like the odd one out in her family. She's one of a set of triplets, only that her other two sisters are identical while she's only a fraternal twin; and though she has a strong connection to her sisters Odette and Olivia, that connection is not as strong as the one they have with each other.

Odette and Olivia both followed in their father's footsteps and became doctors - and winners of the parental approval - while Clementine is just now t
Roxanne
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I had a difficult time with the beginning of this book. At page 60 I put the book down and didn't think I would bother to finish it. I decided to give it another shot, and by the middle of the book when I finally got to find out a little more about what daddy's issue was, I could pay more attention to the character development and storyline. I was disappointed with both by the end of the book.

I didn't care for Clem or her sisters Odette and Olivia. As a matter of fact, I didn't care
Charlotte
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Orphan Sister is a fantastic novel about family dynamics. A family is gripped in the middle of a family crisis and we get to see it all unfold. I really liked Clementine and I hated to see how hurt she was by her father. Triplets are unique enough that the book could have only dealt with their relationship and it would have been a good book to read. Throw in the unusual circumstances their father has thrown them into and you have the makings of a fantastic novel.

Diana
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a long and tedious read about a set of triplets and their spoiled existence. I finished the book waiting for something to happen... Something exciting or dramatic but nothing happened. It's just their everyday lives and their whiny perspective of their parents. It's not horrible, but it is a little boring.
Margaret
Stefanie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-drama
Although a bit plodding for a few chapters in the middle, I really enjoyed this story of triplet sisters who learn their father has been harboring a secret all of their lives. The secret itself is in the backdrop though, and the best parts of the novel revolve around the tender and intuitive relationships between the three sisters and around narrator Clementine's devastating loss of her first love. Definitely recommend.
MK
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is beautifully written and had an interesting premise. I really disappointed at the uninteresting way the story unraveled. The family secret was met with very little reaction. The only significant character development happened after the main story was finished. I wouldn't recommend it.
Michele Goldberg
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about triplets where 2 of them are very close and the third feels left out. It’s the first book that I found very boring. It was very predictable and nothing over the top happened at all in the book. The end was a total disappointment.
Judith scaglione
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. we are reading it for my book club but I was was wondering if you have a list of thought provoking questions I can ask my gils about this book
Mary
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
This isn’t worth one star - just a dull read.
Brenda Pace
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick read - enjoyed but not raving about.
Jennifer Barthelemy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
When to the past too many times. Not thrilling.
Susan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A family is rocked by secrets hidden by their father. The protagonist struggles with being the triplet sister of identical twins.
Jill Wallace
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book, great read on my snow day!
Delvia Alsina
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read. I had never heard of this type of triplets, but it sure got my attention. I recommend this book highly.
Ruth Theis
Loved the book and hated it

The book kept me reading, but I was bored in parts. I thought it was a little off the wall
Maribeth
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Kept my attention, enough curves in the plot that I did't predict the end until maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through. Issues and emotions which the narrator grappled with felt realistic.
Lauren
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
Clementine Lord is an individual in a set of triplets. Her two sisters, Odette and Olivia, are identical twins, and as a fraternal third, Clementine feels distanced, despite the triplet telepathy they all seem to possess. Her father, a narcissistic surgeon who spends more time traveling than with his own family, always seems to favor Olivia and Odette, who inherited his gift for medicine and went to Ivy League schools, becoming doctors in their own right. The twins find their future husbands at ...more
Debbie Sprague
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A very original story of triplets and the circumstances that make Clementine different from her identical twin sisters. It is that difference that Clementine struggles with as well as the desertion of her father. This is a story of the complexities of being one of triplets, and finding your own identity
Laura Kay Bolin
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Finding the path to one’s own identity is a story in and of itself, but to be one of three brings about a number of additional complexities. Gwendolen Gross writes a multifaceted story of Clementine Lords’ journey in finding her own path. Clementine is a singleton who was born a triplet with identical twin sister’s Odette and Olivia. She is one with them and yet she is different and not the same as them. She is the odd sister out.

When Clementine’s father goes missing she is pressed t
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Going into this, I didn't really have any expectations, but was hesitantly hopeful it might be interesting. I really didn't know anything about it, except that the triplet thing. I am happy to report that The Orphan Sister was about so much more than that. This story grabbed me from page one and I devoured it whole, the funny, the sweet, the romantic, the depressing and even the scenes about babies (which for me is saying something).

Clem has such a real voice that you really feel lik
Mary
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Triplets Odette, Olivia and Clementine are at major crossroads in their lives when their father abandons them and their mother. Odette and Olivia are identical twins and Clementine seems to be just another sister except that she was born at the same time. Odette and Olivia, both doctors like their pediatric neurosurgeon father are also pregnant at the same time while Clementine is struggling to get in to veterinarian school when she moves back home while waiting for her acceptance letter. One da ...more
Mmtimes4
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Clementine Lord is not an orphan. She just feels like one sometimes. One of triplets, a quirk of nature left her the odd one out. Odette and Olivia are identical; Clementine is a singleton. Biologically speaking, she came from her own egg. Practically speaking, she never quite left it. Then Clementine’s father—a pediatric neurologist who is an expert on children’s brains,
...moreClementine Lord is not an orphan. She just feels like one sometimes. One of triplets, a quirk of nature left her the o
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Orphan Sister 1 1 Aug 27, 2012 05:03AM

• Another Bad-Dog Book: Essays on Life, Love, and Neurotic Human Behavior
  • The Art of Saying Goodbye
  • Amaryllis in Blueberry
  • Things We Didn't Say
  • The Map Across Time (The Gates of Heaven, #2)
  • The Winters in Bloom
  • Pinch Me
  • The Pioneer Cookbook: Recipes for Today's Kitchen
  • Damage Control
  • FxLifeStyle - Forex Frontiers "The Essentials of Currency Trading"
  • I Gave My Heart to Know This
  • Wherever Grace Is Needed
  • The Killing Song
  • Six Weeks to Yehidah
  • The Upside of Down
  • Style Yourself
  • Diamond Eyes (Mira Chambers #1)
  • Here, Home, Hope
Dubbed the reigning queen of women's adventure fiction by Joanna Smith Rakoff in Book Magazine, Gwendolen Gross grew up in Newton, Massachusetts. She graduated from Oberlin College, where she studied science writing and voice performance. She spent a semester in Australia with a field studies program, studying spectacled fruit bats in the rainforest remnants of Northern Queensland.

Afte